Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dept. of Transport's 4 year plan on roads released - your reactions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Furet wrote: »
    He certainly does. However, the N28 is very important for Cork City, the port, and the pharmaceutical industry. It is monstrously over-capacity, extremely hazardous, and utterly insufficient. Furthermore, the upgrade will only be 13km long. This is one road that should go ahead and I'll be happy if Coveney pushes it. That said, Carrigaline's population grew to ridiculous levels during the boom and no services were provided. It is dominated by cars whizzing all over it. I've never seen the like to be quite honest.

Cant disagree with you one bit. It is massively over crowded and quite dangerous too. THere have been numerous deaths on that road in the previous years (2 in the last 4 months). Ill never forget the morning i flew out of Cork airport and looked over the N28 and just saw a line of headlights stretching from the Rochestown flyover back to Carrigaline. It really does need an upgrade and its good to see that Coveney will be supporting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

However, the N28 is very important for Cork City, the port, and the pharmaceutical industry.

Absolutely. That road services some critical FDI projects that provide a huge amount of employment, and a massive amount of our export capacity. The importance of that cluster of high end pharma business to the national economy shouldn't be underestimated.

Furthermore, Port of Cork were refused planning for a large expansion of the Ringaskiddy site, at least partially on the basis of the poor road network. Without the port expansion, POC can't move out of the city centre, and free up quay space there. Furthermore, the region needs improved port capacity badly, particularly if exports are to grow (and they will need to). So, in short, the N28 is of national importance. Personally, I'd put it ahead of the M20 and N25 junctions in the pecking order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Aidan1 wrote: »
    So, in short, the N28 is of national importance. Personally, I'd put it ahead of the M20 and N25 junctions in the pecking order.

Yet even the detailed design hasn't even been done yet. The more I think about it, the fact that it has been mothballed is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

tech2 wrote: »
    My first reaction was that the M20 is getting pushed back further. The schemes to start in 2011 are what every poster here expected but zero projects starting in 2012 or 2013 would be a slight suprise.

I still think the Tralee bypass is a waste of capital funding given what crucial projects could be built instead of it. Any one of the these schemes built instead would be more beneficial and will reduce fatal accidents:
    • N24 Cahir-Pallasgreen
    • N21 Adare-Abbeyfeale
    • N17 Tuam-Claremorris
    Yes it is essentially "nearly ready to build" but that should not be a reason to get this to construction ahead of the above dangerous sections of national primary roads. I really dont believe it will reduce congestion in the town and the design is flawed.

On the roads announced for 2011 it is indeed great news. Soon we will have Galway-Limerick fully dualed. Also Newlands X will be at last upgraded and the most dangerous section of the N11 will be bypassed. The N5 will be improved slightly with the Longford bypass.

I agree with you tech2 that there are bigger priorities than the Tralee bypass. I'm from Tralee originally so am pleased for Tralee that it is getting this bypass but rationally, I can see that infrastructure like bypasses of Slane and Adare (or even the Macroom to Ballyvourney road) surely were far more important. Tralee is really just an end destination on the national road networ. I guess the fact that the planning permission/EIS/constraints/purchase and tenders were all ready to go that it was easier to proceed with it. My sympathies to other areas that are now going to have to wait 4+ years for their improvements (especially the death trap that is Slane village)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cheap & ready to go. Thats why its being done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Pleased to see the N5 Longford bypass is to start next year. Many use the Lisbrack Road as the current "unofficial" N5 bypass of the town. Dangerous junction when trying to get on to the west bound lane of the N5 from this road.

Advertisement