Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Baddest to groom

• 24-11-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

After reading Asder53 post on aggressive dogs. I decided to post this.
    As a groomer I get all sorts of dogs in to groom.
    Here is my list of the best dogs.
    Cavalier.
    Bichon.
    Poodle.
    Golden Retriever.
    Cockers.

List of the baddest.
    Westies.
    Shih Tzu.
    Poms.
    Wheaten Terriers.

This is only my opinion, judging on the dogs I get in. Some of the breeds in the bad list can be very good but on average they will cause the most problems. Such as snapping, biting, growling and tearing the arms off you with their nails.
    Ant other groomers feel free to add.
    :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Worst for me are Yorkies, Westies and Shih tzus. Always the dogs who need the most work done. Best dog I ever had in for grooming was a doberman, well really he was in for a wash and to get his nails clipped, but he was the biggest baby ever. He held out his front paws for me and everything when I was clipping his nails. Cavaliers haven't been too bad but I've met an awful lot of cranky cockers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

What list would ye put boxers in hehehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

I have not come across a bad cocker yet (thank god). Boxers are beautiful dog with a face only a mother could love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

hahahaha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

List of the baddest.
    Westies.

<snip>
    Shanao wrote: »
    Worst for me are Yorkies, Westies and Shih tzus. Always the dogs who need the most work done.

As a Westie owner I have to agree, since I don't agree with having her sedated for grooming I resorted to doing it myself either in her sleep or while occupying her with a pigs ear :D. She's not agressive at all in anyway, the problem is that she sees grooming tools and scissors as items that need to be played with and killed :rolleyes:. I use a coat king on a regular basis for stripping out dead hair and I find a metal comb with long teeth the best tool for brushing out her coat. As regards clipping her nails thats a job for me, the vet and the vet nurse as it takes 3 people to do it and she spends the whole time trying to run away and climb up my jumper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The worst dog I ever saw being clipped was a Wire Haired Fox Terrier (called Tiger ironically!) spent the session with his teeth bared!

I did a head to toe grooming on my Japanese Spitz last Saturday, 2 hours in total, washed, blow dried, nails clipped, hair around the inner ears and toes clipped. Ben is a little star though sat / lay patiently through the whole thing!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

As a Westie owner I have to agree, since I don't agree with having her sedated for grooming I resorted to doing it myself either in her sleep or while occupying her with a pigs ear :D. She's not agressive at all in anyway, the problem is that she sees grooming tools and scissors as items that need to be played with and killed :rolleyes:. I use a coat king on a regular basis for stripping out dead hair and I find a metal comb with long teeth the best tool for brushing out her coat. As regards clipping her nails thats a job for me, the vet and the vet nurse as it takes 3 people to do it and she spends the whole time trying to run away and climb up my jumper.

And me, as a Westie owner, have to disagree:-) My groomer says that he is his favorite client:-) He likes my dog and my dog likes him:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

drongal wrote: »
    And me, as a Westie owner, have to disagree:-) My groomer says that he is his favorite client:-) He likes my dog and my dog likes him:-)
    I bet he says that to all the dogs!:D

I use to work in a vets grooming. The majority of dogs that came in to be groomed had to be sedated because they were the baddest of the bad. Other groomers refused to even touch them for fear of losing an arm or a nose. Some dogs would come out of sedation quicker than others, so you were working against the clock.
    The only dog who ever managed to bite me was a Pom. It had bit it's owner on many occasions. As I was grooming him he woke up very quickly and managed to bite me with one of his remaining 6 teeth. Boy did I do the dance. Went right through my thumb.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We have shelties and they are all fairly easy to groom. Never had a problem with biting or anything like that. But we find the first girl we got can be really fidgety and stuff like that where as the more recent ones who we groomed (or pretended to!) from the very beginning love it. One of them climbs up behind my mum when she dries her hair because he loves the hair drier so much.

We have too border collie crosses too, one loves to be groomed (except for around her back legs because that's where all the knots are) and tries to get in to be groomed even if I've been grooming her for ages already. The other one hated being groomed and while he wouldn't bite, he would put his mouth around my hand to warn me a lot so I knew if I continued he would probably bite. He's getting way better now and though he doesn't love it, he knows he gets lots of cuddles after ward so he tolerates it. Plus he is ridiculously soft and velvety after so its worth it.

I love grooming my dogs, they're so lovely and gorgeous afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I don't know about the bad list of dogs but my one and only experience of leaving my dog into a groomer was definately bad!

I have a border collie x and we wanted her long fur clipped for the summer, maybe because she was a crossbreed the groomer was confused as to what to do with her but I've never been so shocked or laughed so hard in my life! She had clipped her head and fluffy ears into a round shape like a bichon, pretty much shaved her body and made her fluffy tail round too. My poor dog was disgusted and couldnt wait to get out. Because it was summer I had the windows of the car open and my dog sat in the passanger seat, when I stopped at traffic lights on O Connell St in Limerick my dog jumped out the window, ran to the path and proceeded to walk off in the direction of home! So I had to leave my car at the traffic lights while I hopped out and chased my dog up the street!

Never again, I bought clippers the next year and did it myself after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

well it used to be my schnauzer trying to brush him was impossible but since getting the yorkie she is terrible she wont let the brush touch her the groomer was ok with said she was hard but still did a great job (i thought cause she was young she would be ok..) but the weirdist thing is now oscar loves to brushed like hes showing off to her that he is soo good when getting brush and why cant she be this good! its very weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

For me, the worst are Glen Of Imal or Wheaten Terriers. I seem to have only met either breed when they are in the worst form. One Wheaten that came in was on his 4th,,,, yes 4th load of anti biotocs to clear up an infection but the owner did not think that came under the "anything medical I need to know about " question. I only was told after the dog had bitten me twice badly and I made the call that he needed to be taken home. :(

The best for me are Golden Retrievers,Labs, Yorkies, Bischons, Collies and Husky type dogs . Any breed can have a bad day but gererally I have been lucky so far :rolleyes:

Oh poor you. 2 bites thats bad. Whetans are cry babies when it comes to grooming. Ant little knot and they screech the place down. Swear they were being murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have an irish setter who won't tolerate grooming at all. She's uncontrollable on the groomer table without a muzzle - not aggressive but squirms, wriggles, contorts herself and practically chokes herself rather than get groomed, or worse still get her nails clipped.

It doesn't help that she's the hunting breed rather than the show breed. Although her coat is shorter - she gets filthy out in the fields, brambles in her hair, and her coat all tangled and covered in mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

My mothers whaeten terrier is a nightmare to groom, the groomer we used to take her to refused to do her anymore and recommended getting her sedated but found a girl from Killaloe who comes to the house and can manage her, I think the difference is shes not one bit afraid of the dog so can get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

magentas wrote: »
    I bet he says that to all the dogs!:D

No:-)
    I have heard what he is saying to other pet owners:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I don't know about the bad list of dogs but my one and only experience of leaving my dog into a groomer was definately bad!

I have a border collie x and we wanted her long fur clipped for the summer, maybe because she was a crossbreed the groomer was confused as to what to do with her but I've never been so shocked or laughed so hard in my life! She had clipped her head and fluffy ears into a round shape like a bichon, pretty much shaved her body and made her fluffy tail round too. My poor dog was disgusted and couldnt wait to get out. Because it was summer I had the windows of the car open and my dog sat in the passanger seat, when I stopped at traffic lights on O Connell St in Limerick my dog jumped out the window, ran to the path and proceeded to walk off in the direction of home! So I had to leave my car at the traffic lights while I hopped out and chased my dog up the street!

Never again, I bought clippers the next year and did it myself after that!

Oh dear, I don't mean to laugh at the poor dog, but this gave me a giggle :D! It must've been the talk of the neighbourhood....:eek:

My Shih Tzu loves going to the groomer, but is prone to playing the fool when I try to do it! He hates having his paws brushed by me, but I've seen the groomer brush him, and all he does is give her a big kiss! That dog is a shameless tart!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

my mam took a course in dog grooming and when i show her this post she will feel releaved and laugh that she isnt the only one that finds it hard to groom her westie.

she only grooms her own dogs. the westie would winge and cry and move, basically make grooming a terrible experience for my mam. and prolong the process lol

she also has a scottie, and she loves the grooming!!! she could be groomed forever she loves it. only thing she hate any1 going near her paws, does any1 have that problem with the scottie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pip11

Hi i have been a groomer now for 3 years i love my job and find the owners are more aggressive then the dogs lol.
    In 3 years only 2 breeds have bitten me out of pure aggression,Golen cocker spanial and rottweiler.In both cases i would just like to say that owners were totaly to blame because all breeds of dog are prone to aggression,and it is how the dog is trained and cared for on daily bases.iIf westies,yorkies and shihtzus did not bite ,scream and generaly make it look like you are killing them while being groomed then i would think there is something wrong with them.Love grooming all breeds :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement