Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation or fire rated cans for GU10 lights?

Options
  • 24-11-2010 7:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Which is best type of down light can/cover to use for fitting insulation in a ceiling.

A cover/can specificly for putting insulation around and over the recessed GU10 light,or a fire rated can/cover.

I have been led to believe that the can for insulation purposes is much better and also better for noise reduction aswell.

Can you insulate right up to the GU10 light with a fire rated cover though??

So whats your thoughts on this??

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

are they halogen

kinda obvious:) but if you want to cover with insulation-it needs to be appproved for this-i think f-capped is the standard

'fire-rated' maintains the fire barrier and is prob not suitable in itself for covering with thermal insulation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »
    are they halogen

kinda obvious:) but if you want to cover with insulation-it needs to be appproved for this-i think f-capped is the standard

'fire-rated' maintains the fire barrier and is prob not suitable in itself for covering with thermal insulation

4W LED GU10,s.

So if I want to place rockwool insulation in around them,I should use the cans specificly for insulating?

When I say can,its actualy a small metal box with a few holes in it for venting,but the insulation can be placed directly around and over it.

Should the cable and grey plastic connector box (see pic attached) be placed under the insulation or on top of the insulation then??

Or does the box go inside the insulation can/box itself,along with the GU10 light itself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

LED's produce no heat so you can put insulation where you like.

Its only the halogen bulbs,50w especially,where heat and fire risk is a major issue.

i would use fire-rated fittings mostly now - irrespective of the type of bulb

-to maintain the barrier

and then as superg said -you're more concerned with cans and f-cappped approved fittings where halogen is used-due to heat-build up

Thanks to both of you.:D

Will most likely go and get 4 fire cans/covers tomorrow and tackle the problem over the weekend.:)

• Advertisement

what's a fire can

never heard of it

what's a fire can

never heard of it

Metal can style cover with grommet in it for passing the wire through it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

paddy147 wrote: »
    4W LED GU10,s.

So if I want to place rockwool insulation in around them,I should use the cans specificly for insulating?

When I say can,its actualy a small metal box with a few holes in it for venting,but the insulation can be placed directly around and over it.

Should the cable and grey plastic connector box (see pic attached) be placed under the insulation or on top of the insulation then??

Or does the box go inside the insulation can/box itself,along with the GU10 light itself
    IF it's only 4W leds, there will be very little heat given off. Some sort of can would be a good idea to keep the insulation off the gu10 connector. The grey obo box and cable will be fine outside the can.
    It's highly unlikely your ceilng is fire rated - so I don't see any benefit to buying a fire rated fitting/cap.

cast_iron wrote: »
    IF it's only 4W leds, there will be very little heat given off. Some sort of can would be a good idea to keep the insulation off the gu10 connector. The grey obo box and cable will be fine outside the can.
    It's highly unlikely your ceilng is fire rated - so I don't see any benefit to buying a fire rated fitting/cap.

Thanks for that,especially about the grey connector box.:)

I just found a small sheet of 18mm plywood in my shed.
    I wonder if I made up a small box type cover out of 18mm thick plywood,would that be ok to use over the LED,s and grey connector box.??

That way I would also keep out cold draughts and also be able to insulate the hell out of the void space.

I can't see a big problem with that as long as you stick to 4w lamps.
    Though I would say it's not something a contractor would/should install as it's 4w today...but the client may decide the leds are no good and revert to 50w halogen in 6 months time, and confining the fitting with a 50w lamp in a flammable box wouldn't be the wisest plan in that case.

• Advertisement

I can't see a big problem with that as long as you stick to 4w lamps.
    Though I would say it's not something a contractor would/should install as it's 4w today...but the client may decide the leds are no good and revert to 50w halogen in 6 months time, and confining the fitting with a 50w lamp in a flammable box wouldn't be the wisest plan in that case.

I will NEVER be going back to the old 50w bulbs.Dangerous and crap bulb.:eek:

I should have shares in Philips at this stage now,with the sheer amount of 4W dimmable GU10 LEDs I have recently bought.:D

not sure that's correct- afaik the standard slabs are 30-minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yea, but the person who lives in the house after you might!

not sure that's correct- afaik the standard slabs are 30-minute
    I didn't realise that...I always assumed a fire slab was required for fire protection. One for the DIY forum to answer :)

I also agree with Mick....or in a years time, with those fancy leds blowing left right and centre, you may curse the damn things and vow never again....and go back to the trusted halogens.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Yea, but the person who lives in the house after you might!

You are very presumptious to think that I am selling my house,or will be moving out of my house,arent you.

Its my house,I own it and I certainly wont be selling my house or moving out of it.

I didn't realise that...I always assumed a fire slab was required for fire protection. One for the DIY forum to answer :)

I also agree with Mick....or in a years time, with those fancy leds blowing left right and centre, you may curse the damn things and vow never again....and go back to the trusted halogens.

They wont blow in a year,they use feck all juice compared to a normal 50w bulb,and they give off virtually no heat,compared to a very very hot 50W bulb.

So why would I ever want to go back to the juice hungry,hot 50W bulbs,that do blow every 3-6 months or so??????

The LED bulbs are also fully dimmable too.So its LED GU10,s all the way for me.Its a no brainer.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

I should have shares in Philips at this stage now,with the sheer amount of 4W dimmable GU10 LEDs I have recently bought.:D

have you tried the 7w ones they make and are they any brighter?

Advertisement