Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds chat 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Thankyou Sables:) they make me laugh so much as they come tapping on the window looking for more nuts.

picture.php?albumid=1553&pictureid=8670

picture.php?albumid=1553&pictureid=8669

I need to get the hang of the downsizing by the looks of it ;) They are good quality until I send them down to 100kb and I lose a lot then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Keep 'em coming ppink: WOW! what a treat :D. Again i'm amazed at the quality of these. A female Black cap and Great tit....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

Great stuff ppink :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I used to have about a dozen collared doves in the garden, but since the snow they have all disappeared, would this be normal at this time of year, I wondered if they are all off looking for mates?

I love the sound of them and they are really pretty birds, really miss them in the garden.

picture.php?albumid=1553&pictureid=8683

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Just had a flock of about 30 Fieldfare land in the trees at the back garden to shelter from the wind , typically by the time i got the camera they had moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

Spotted a wren in the garden this morning :) Didn't think we had any of them in the area. Always a thrill when you spot something new ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

:cool: Well, ISP Dude; If that's not a 'sign', I don't know what is!

Go check out my latest posting on the Nest Boxes thread ;)

Hey, and guess what? I get up today. Glance out at the peanuts. Can't believe my eyes! A male Siskin! Straight after what I just said on the 30-01-2011 @ 12:13 :eek:

What makes me sick is all you lucky sods getting these Blackcaps. I never have. 'Mind you; I can do ye a Lesser Whitethroat. Saw one of them in my compound once. Not a stayer though. Just skulking through :D

Now; What about this weather? Windy enough, or what?! Just been out in the horse pen, giving them their supper. Almighty great gust and I've looked up in horror, expecting something to be blown down and crash onto my head!

Luckily, not much round there too blow down. Not since the old hay barn collapsed ..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

Ditch wrote: »
    :cool: Well, ISP Dude; If that's not a 'sign', I don't know what is!

Go check out my latest posting on the Nest Boxes thread ;)

That's gas, just read your wren nest box post. That's it settled then...my next project is a wren nest box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Saw my first Siskins today, in my other half's parents garden, not mine. But as you say ISP dude, always a thrill to see something new.

Would anyone know why the song thrushes that regularly visited me would stop coming? I'm putting out the same food as always but they don't come into the garden, although I do see them nearby. Could they be sick and tired of the blackbirds constantly chasing them away!?

Pair of siskins on my nuts today! :D I'm sure I've never recorded them in winter before now?

Always come in summer, nest somewhere (Notoriously impossible birds to find the nests of. Then, if ye do, they reckon it tends to be 100 feet up a fir tree. Right out on the end of a branch as thick as a drinking straw) Then I get the family group.

Ye reckon I've hijacked LittleBug's ones? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ye reckon I've hijacked LittleBug's ones? :P

All I get these days is the ocasional blackbird and song/ mistle thrush. I usually have the occasional redwing whether I have feeders out or not but not this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Pair of siskins on my nuts today! :D

ouch! did it smart? :D

No Siskins for me this year :( funny how it goes isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Little Grebe returned today and also spotted a Fieldfare.

Had 8 Long-tailed tits on a half full small peanut feeder......

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flo with a view

These two goldfinches were feeding at my Nyger feeder yesterday :)

Goldfinches002.jpg?t=1297022717

This is the heron who raided our pond and ate all our goldfish!

Heron008.jpg?t=1297022717

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"

Heron006.jpg?t=1297022717

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What do I have here, Siskin and Greenfinch? And if that's a Greenfinch, what's this?

9451667A7299480D8279E83B62981E4E-0000315944-0002152990-00640L-14ED5ED54B7D489F8F1D93592C4EEC66.jpg

D4D04DEDBFB045A3AF4FDBACB3476939-0000315944-0002152989-00640L-C08E8346A79C425C97FC07BCDE6C8DDB.jpg

45BFE00FF65A4D0198EFCF8BB84122B8-0000315944-0002152988-00640L-71FAA315EA1545D49501662E87E1DCC5.jpg

You have a Heron, in your back garden!? :eek::D

great pics Flo! Do you find the nyger seed feeder is the best thing to use? i got the seed but just sprinkled a bit out for them and i was thinking of getting the proper feeder.

that heron is really cool looking! great shot of him.

we had a sparrowhawk here today, he swept past the window trying to collect one of my little birds but they were too quick for him this time:). Fast birds though, frightened the life out of me:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

can someone tell me what owls we have in ireland?
    obviously we have the barn owl but what else is there?

saw one a few weeks back on a really brightly lit night not sure what it was as i only saw it fly away.

could have swore i heard one an hour ago too. sounded like the well known whoot whooo

WUL; First two shots are a female Siskin. Third shot's a male Greenfinch.

Cheers Ditch.

Almost have the Top-20 Garden Birds now so.

Just waiting on Collared Dove, Wren and Dunnock. :)

Plus need to photo Rook and Magpie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flo with a view

whyulittle wrote: »
    You have a Heron, in your back garden!? :eek::D

We have a fairly large pond that used to have a terrific lot of goldfish in in (all descendents from the original 7 we put in it about five years ago, but they bred...and bred....).

After last January's snow and ice (Big Freeze-up No. 1 of 2010) the heron srated visiting, and decimated the fish population. When the bad weather came back in November and December he remembered and came back for the rest.

We now have only a handful of small goldfish, and he'll probably get them in time.

Hmm ..... I've had eighteen of that 'Top Twenty'. I haven't had Collared Dove or Blackcap. But, I can cover those two and a shed load more birds I've had in what passes for my 'garden'.

trebor28 wrote: »
    can someone tell me what owls we have in ireland?
    obviously we have the barn owl but what else is there?

could have swore i heard one an hour ago too. sounded like the well known whoot whooo

Long Eared ~ which it sounds like ye saw there ~ and Short Eared.

Hmm ..... I've had eighteen of that 'Top Twenty'. I haven't had Collared Dove (don't bloody want it!) or Blackcap. But, I can cover those two and a shed load more birds I've had in what passes for my 'garden'.

i dont understand how you can hate collared doves and yet like others like starlings!

Long Eared ~ which it sounds like ye saw there ~ and Short Eared.

not doubting you but how do you know it was a long eared owl?

and is that the list?
    barn, long eared and short eared?

Bitter experience, Trebor. Wait till ye've had another fifty years of them and see how ye feel then.

• Advertisement

50 on top of what i got already??

dunno if ill live that long!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement