Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds chat 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Huge numbers of redwings around here before the snow. Flocks of up to 40/50 stripping the hedgerow. Haven't seen them in those numbers sonce the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

I think I had a Twite visit the bird table this afternoon, eating seed with some House Sparrows. Yesterday I noticed a large flock of small birds fly over the house at least 30 of them, they might have been Twite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Bsal wrote: »
    I think I had a Twite visit the bird table this afternoon, eating seed with some House Sparrows. Yesterday I noticed a large flock of small birds fly over the house at least 30 of them, they might have been Twite.
    I would think that Redpoll or Linnet would be more likely.
    What area are you in?

I've tragic news from my own garden today. A Kingfisher had a fatal collison with house window :(
    Much smaller than looks when viewed from a distant. I'll take some photos and bury it.

My ponds are frozen and they may stay that way for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Mothman wrote: »
    I've tragic news from my own garden today. A Kingfisher had a fatal collison with house window :(
    Much smaller than looks when viewed from a distant. I'll take some photos and bury it.

My ponds are frozen and they may stay that way for weeks.

might there be a point to trying to break up some of the ice mothman?

trebor28 wrote: »
    might there be a point to trying to break up some of the ice mothman?
    I've tried. The ice is 8cm thick. It needs a saw to cut it and it freezes over quite quickly, though if I tried today it probably wouldn't refreeze as quick.

• Advertisement

I've tried. The ice is 8cm thick. It needs a saw to cut it and it freezes over quite quickly, though if I tried today it probably wouldn't refreeze as quick.

probably just as well too, if the weather is supposed to get bad again in a week or so.
    you dont want them to come back only to have to leave again when it freezes over again!

I would think that Redpoll or Linnet would be more likely.
    What area are you in?

I'm in Swords, North County Dublin. Would there be Twite in my area?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'd say it'd be a Linnet myself. Thought I had a twite earlier on in the year but it turned out to be a female linnet. Though not sure honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

We had a female blackcap visit our garden this morning.
    Really chuffed.
    We had a male visit during the last snow in December/January
    no sign so far this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

bogtreader wrote: »
    We had a female blackcap visit our garden this morning.
    Really chuffed.
    We had a male visit during the last snow in December/January
    no sign so far this year
    Isn't the blackcap a rarity in the winter months....:confused: Well done. (what in your feeders..) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Two male Bullfinches today :D They only stayed a few seconds but I had my camera handy to get a pic of one. Quality is not great as it was taken through a window but still I'm very pleased with it. Has anyone got any feeding tips to attract bullfinches?

139034.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

I saw a programme last week where I think they said twite were confined to the west, Connemara and Donegal. Could be wrong though! Saw my first ever blackcap on Thursday as well.

Would it be unusual to get a meadow pipit in a garden? I live in an estate but the nearest farmland is only a few hundred yards away. Still not 100% on the id, but if it comes back I'll try and get a photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Two male Bullfinches today :D They only stayed a few seconds but I had my camera handy to get a pic of one. Quality is not great as it was taken through a window but still I'm very pleased with it. Has anyone got any feeding tips to attract bullfinches?
    X2
    I don't get them that often either:(
    I would also like feeding tips to attract them!!!!!!!!!

sables2 wrote: »
    Isn't the blackcap a rarity in the winter months....:confused: Well done. (what in your feeders..) :D

I just have seed mixture, peanuts and fatballs.
    She stayed at the fatballs the longest

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Bullfinches eat soft buds in spring, you will see them in fruit trees in early spring eating the buds, and seeds and berries, and small insects if they can find them the rest of the year.

is that not a female?
    or is it just the lighting through the window?
    are males not a more light flame red ?

have observed them eating ash seeds if thats any good to ye.
    though i doubt it somehow as they are quite abundant in the wild.

Would it be unusual to get a meadow pipit in a garden? I live in an estate but the nearest farmland is only a few hundred yards away. Still not 100% on the id, but if it comes back I'll try and get a photo.

I had a Meadow Pipit visit my garden two days in a row last week and I have a suburban garden, maybe when we get our big freeze next week He/She will come back.

That is a male Bullfinch. Females are much duller on the breast.
    As for attrtacting them, I hear some years back that they like Buddleja seeds. Ever since I've left the seeds on overwinter. I do get Bullfinches, but never on the Buddleja...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Redpoll numbers in my garden have increased considerably in the last couple of days. I counted 11 at one time today. Most of them were on the ground hoovering up spilt nyger seed.
    139093.jpg

139094.jpg

That is a male Bullfinch. Females are much duller on the breast.
    As for attrtacting them, I hear some years back that they like Buddleja seeds. Ever since I've left the seeds on overwinter. I do get Bullfinches, but never on the Buddleja...

well the male bullfinches around me are a lot redder and brighter, if you know what i mean.

does their colour change from area to area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

[/QUOTE
    WOW! A bull finch. That's one for the 'treasure trove'. Lovely clear image, and through a window..:eek: ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

First Brambling this morning :D Flew away before I could get a picture though.

trebor28 wrote: »
    well the male bullfinches around me are a lot redder and brighter, if you know what i mean.

does their colour change from area to area?
    And the females are never that bright.
    You mentioned earlier
    or is it just the lighting through the window?

What you see on your moniter is not necessarily what it was like in real life. I know from my work with identifying moths from photos how much colour, brightness, contrast, white balance etc can be different from real life because of all facters that go into taking photos and getting it on your moniter.

Back to my own garden, I've just uploaded my week 2 list and Great Spotted Woodpecker is not listed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

I had a Meadow Pipit visit my garden two days in a row last week and I have a suburban garden, maybe when we get our big freeze next week He/She will come back.

Thanks Bsal. I'm not a million miles from you, I'm in Lusk. There's plenty around the nearby fields so maybe they make their way over. If I can get a look at its tail next time I'll have a better idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

A lapwing in the garden yesterday morning and a grey heron in the field behind the garden this morning.
    I'm only a kilometre north of the Shannon estuary, so it's not too surprising but it's still the first time I've seen either of these birds near my house!

was out feeding my birds today, when i could hear this feint "dum dum dum dum".
    i have never heard a wood pecker before or seen one for that matter so was looking around to see was there one near by.

then i noticed the sound was being made by a blue tit hammering away at a coconut. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I've noticed my Lidl oats coverd in fat is not going down as fast as I thought it would, would this be because of the thaw or birdy preference?

I was making a cup of tea this afternoon for my better half and i our feeders
    are in the back garden not far from the window.All of sudden a small flock of birds about 7 to 8 appeared.they had a quick recce of the garden and moved on. Fatballs Peanuts or seed not to their liking.From checking bird books and the RSPB website they looked like long tailed tits lovely to look at.Long tails and white breast :)

bogtreader wrote: »
    I was making a cup of tea this afternoon for my better half and i our feeders
    are in the back garden not far from the window.All of sudden a small flock of birds about 7 to 8 appeared.they had a quick recce of the garden and moved on. Fatballs Peanuts or seed not to their liking.From checking bird books and the RSPB website they looked like long tailed tits lovely to look at.Long tails and white breast :)

Send them my way, I always miss them, they dont hang around and are usually in small flocks, well spotted anyway :D

• Advertisement

I've noticed my Lidl oats coverd in fat is not going down as fast as I thought it would, would this be because of the thaw or birdy preference?

Maybe a little extra should be added, sunflowers seeds, raisens, mealworms would keep them interested! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement