Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds chat 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

8 Long Tailed Tits on the one peanut feeder this evening! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

one female blackcap as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I had one solitary Greenfinch the other day. Would the cold kill off the virus that affects these birds along with its spores?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

My numbers which had dropped after the thaw, seem to be right back up today. They have finally started to take the fat balls, and have just put out a nyjer feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I had one solitary Greenfinch the other day. Would the cold kill off the virus that affects these birds along with its spores?

Maybe it will kill off some of the environmental contamination, but the infection lives in the bird's throat and is passed on by saliva, so I would not expect any big positive change in that problem because of the weather. The one impact might be that birds suffering from the problem might die of more quickly in cold weather.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Blackcap?

9F01EC97A41F40FCAD2FBDE1E2695B78-0000315944-0002101681-00800L-567649BAD9B54311B1C31DF6C990E1ED.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Blackcap alright
    Despite the thaw we still have about
    4/5 bluetits
    3/4 coaltits
    1 Robin
    2 Blackbirds
    1 Thrush
    1 Blackcap (Female)
    1 Greenfinch
    As of today :)

LostCovey wrote: »
    Maybe it will kill off some of the environmental contamination, but the infection lives in the bird's throat and is passed on by saliva, so I would not expect any big positive change in that problem because of the weather. The one impact might be that birds suffering from the problem might die of more quickly in cold weather.

LostCovey

If stuck for time and not able to properly dismantle and clean would it be ok to give the perches on the bird feeder a good clean with a dettol wipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

If stuck for time and not able to properly dismantle and clean would it be ok to give the perches on the bird feeder a good clean with a dettol wipe?
    would be ok I'd say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Ha, Waxwing alert.
    I just saw what must be an advance guard of four waxwings perched in out birch tree (tall) eyeing up the berry tree.
    Do birds remember sites?

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    8 Long Tailed Tits on the one peanut feeder this evening! :)
    10! on the one peanut feeder :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mothman wrote: »
    10! on the one peanut feeder :)

I love how they do that without fighting amongst each other :D Had 11 across two feeders today. Had my first Blackcap yesterday and my Brambling also returned.

Had two Longtailed tits in the garden today! They took turns at the feeder and then scowered (sp?) the bare catoni aster. Feeder is now clean and filled up so I hope they come back.

My fat feeders are going a bit slow, does it take a while for the birds to get used to them? It is the first time I have provided them and so far I have seen a Robin and male blackbird feed from them. I moved them from the feeder to some hedges where they are more undercover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

i will soon need a small loan to keep the birds in peanuts. I put 3 decent sized feeders and 1 large one out Sunday morning and they are less than a third full now and all the fat balls (6) are gone completely.
    anyone have any ideas of where to get good quality cheaper peanuts?

flocks of little birds here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I had to do a rethink of feeder locations due to the frequent feline visitors. Hopefully they're in better places now and stalking locations are blocked.

My usual visitors continue and I think... just think I might have had a siskin yesterday! No sign today though.

Has anyone else in the west got redpoll or blackcaps coming to their gardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

ppink wrote: »
    i will soon need a small loan to keep the birds in peanuts. I put 3 decent sized feeders and 1 large one out Sunday morning and they are less than a third full now and all the fat balls (6) are gone completely.

Where abouts in the country are you? B&Q are quite good on price if you are buying bulk, Heatons do buckets of peanuts for €10 5ltrs not bad at all though they do sell out quickly, also Lidl and Aldi when they have them are excellent, local pet shops (as opposed to big superstore pet shops) can be quite good also, did someone on this thread recommend chicken mash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I love new birds! Have been feeding blackbirds, female blackbirds and starlings since November...thrushes, a robin, the odd sparrow, 6 faithful wood pigeons that are like hoovers and chaffinches for the last few weeks..5/6 redpolls for the last week and now today I have a pair of collarred doves and a pair of greenfinches as well. Must go to Woodies and get more feeders and supplies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Where abouts in the country are you? B&Q are quite good on price if you are buying bulk, Heatons do buckets of peanuts for €10 5ltrs not bad at all though they do sell out quickly, also Lidl and Aldi when they have them are excellent, local pet shops (as opposed to big superstore pet shops) can be quite good also, did someone on this thread recommend chicken mash?

I am in south tipp not too far from clonmel or waterford so I can have a look in B&Q in waterford. I didn't realise heatons did the peanuts too. I have scattered porridge flakes for them too and some of them are going for them but the nuts are the favourite here by far!
    thankyou:)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

ppink wrote: »

Google Ecopet,these are an Irish Company and supply in large or small ammounts;),if you spend over 80 euro free delivery:D.Have used these in the past and can reccomened,good prices and fast delivery,sometimes throw in a few Freebies for the Birdies:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There's a very aggressive female Blackcap in my back garden thats chasing away other birds from the feeders, can anything be done about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

Spotted my first Goldcrests in the garden over the last couple of days. Two of them have started appearing in the garden at dusk after the other birds have left. They've been nibbling on the suet balls. Beautiful little birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

Just had my first ever Yellowhammer in the garden, incredible yellow colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Seen my first goldcrest today such a thrill.
    Just caught my eye thought it was jenny wren with it being such a small size.
    A dainty little bird:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Saw my first Great Bittern today after ten years of trying. I've searched for them in Coto Doñana park in Spain, Goa India, Crotia, Norfolk England and South Africa. Saw one today in Tacumshin lake Wexford after a seven hour stakeout. It flew past while being mobbed by a Hen Harrier.:)
    http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/30082/Bittern.html

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Well done Feargal on the Bittern.
    My garden so far this winter :
    Loads more Starlings than previous years. Fab Jackdaws that come and balance out of the various feeders upside down with wings all over the place to get what they can. Loads of Goldfinch, but still no Siskins (I would have had them regularly last year). No Redwings. Fewer Chaffinches. No Collared Doves - I had 2 regularly last year. Only 1 Dunnock so far.

With some of the ice melting on the pond, a couple of Mallard have arrived.
    Also had couple Reed Buntings last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Both Male and female Blackcap in the garden at the feeders this morning ,
    cracking little birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What is the most likely bird to be eating (solely) niger alongside goldfinches? This bird is brown in colour and has a white vertical line on its wing, it is roughly the same size as a goldfinch. I thought it might be a female chaffinch, have loads of males ground feeding- would that be normal for them to have different feeding habits? Cannot get anything like a decent photo with my standard digital camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

Yep sounds like a female chaffinch. Looks like the male without the red. They generally prefer to feed off the ground below the feeders. But they'll use the feeder directly as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

6 tree sparrows dropped in for a visit, haven't seen them in a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement