Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds chat 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

6 tree sparrows dropped in for a visit, haven't seen them in a while.
    Good to see your tree sparrow still alive after the hard weather. Any casualties do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

I now have two Yellowhammers, Male and female. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Good to see your tree sparrow still alive after the hard weather. Any casualties do you think?

I recorded a peak number of 6 during the snow, so it looks like they all survived - assuming these are the same birds.

3 Black caps now coming to apples stuck in the hedge, 2 males, 1 female. And a pair of collard doves reappeared after a long absence. Still no siskins:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

not really my garden, but the brent geese arrived back this morning and i can see them from my back window, they have been arriving in groups of 4 to 20, not a huge amount this year but they might still be on the way. I don't know a lot about them but 4 years ago there were 600 of them. They did not arrive last year for some reason. It's good to see them back in Dublin 7/15

Stoner wrote: »
    not really my garden, but the brent geese arrived back this morning and i can see them from my back window, they have been arriving in groups of 4 to 20, not a huge amount this year but they might still be on the way. I don't know a lot about them but 4 years ago there were 600 of them. They did not arrive last year for some reason. It's good to see them back in Dublin 7/15

Can you give an exact location? I do a lot of Brent Goose ring reading and am always looking out for new feeding sites to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes, small gathering again today, martin savage park in dublin 7/15.

Plunketts/ER GAA pitch

53.375239, -6.321835

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Had a visit from a female Sparrowhawk this morning , made a couple of half-hearted runs at the resident house sparrows and tits , stayed for about a half-hour before losing interest.
    Regards Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

My little lake is completely ice free, only for past 2 days though.
    I'm wondering will the usual water fowl arrive. Little Grebe, Teal, to name 2.
    No Heron this winter. they often fly over.

Managed to get a single count of 12 Blue Tits this week

Speaking of water birds, our swans are back for first time since the lake iced over.

Stoner wrote: »
    yes, small gathering again today, martin savage park in dublin 7/15.

Plunketts/ER GAA pitch

53.375239, -6.321835

Thanks, I'll check it out next time I'm out that way. Numbers of Brent on grass should rise as the season progresses.

[I've checked the database, and this is a known Brent site. Unfortunately the ring reader who used to cover this area is no longer in Dublin. Thanks for the heads up that they are back again]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

A blue tit was checking out my nestbox today for about 3 or 4 minutes ,poking his head in and out constantly and then pecking the entrance hole :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Resident Robin has a partner already, is this early? It was gas on Sunday morning both were in the garden just looking at me as if expecting fresh food just for them! It was windy and a Wren was jostling with the wind while it was searching for grub in the earth against the wall.

I've got a project to make two nest boxes. Just got to do it without taking my arm off;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've only 1 peanut feeder left out now due to too many cats coming in to the garden :( so bird numbers have obviously dwindled. Pity:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

littlebug wrote: »
    I've only 1 peanut feeder left out now due to too many cats coming in to the garden :( so bird numbers have obviously dwindled. Pity:(

You'll have to get a dog so ;) I've got two little westies that keep the cats away. The birds don't seem to mind the dogs. Must know they're safe from cats while the dogs are around :)

ISP_dude wrote: »
    You'll have to get a dog so ;) I've got two little westies that keep the cats away. The birds don't seem to mind the dogs. Must know they're safe from cats while the dogs are around :)

I did. However I got a complex dog with "outside" neuroses :o. Long story... I won't start!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

littlebug wrote: »
    I did. However I got a complex dog with "outside" neuroses :o. Long story... I won't start!
    A story for the hide perhaps
    We have three dogs each have there own issues
    They are in a constant battle with next doors cats

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I'm on constant catapult watch for the cats from next door.Could be at least four and they are bird killers.I usually aim to miss but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

What you need are lawn sprinklers with motion detectors as soon as the cats appear the sprinklers start and the cats scatter, :D Could be onto a good thing here! Could sell them to Birdwatch Ireland :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

What you need are lawn sprinklers with motion detectors as soon as the cats appear the sprinklers start and the cats scatter, :D Could be onto a good thing here! Could sell them to Birdwatch Ireland :D:D

Now that's a very good idea.And when water charges are strictly introduced I'll hand in the bill next door.:D But the problem with the marauding cats is serious.They're allowed to breed unchecked,catpiss etc everywhere. A Blackcap joined in the feeding frenzy during the snow and was not intimidated by the starlings or blackbirds.Last Winter, a Treecreeper visited.And great to see the Goldfinch back in numbers.

Sprinklers are grand until you go out forgetting you have them ;).....also in the frosty conditions they may be frozen which may destroy them.

• Advertisement

Rainbowsend someone got there before you! I have a motion detector sprinkler in the front garden and it does work. It seems opening the front window counts as "motion":D (oops:o) but it's frozen this morning :(.

Cats are clever though and will most likely figure out how far they can go without being sprinkled. Once the dog is cured of her neuroses and can stay outside now and again I'll up the bird feeding again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

Ha ha, they think of everything. Here's a link to a motion detection spray for cats...

Also works to repel deer, dogs, raccoons, groundhogs, opossum, skunks, rabbits and squirrels ;) HA HA!

http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/5265

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

So exciting to get a new bird! Two coaltits today:D No bluetits as of yet. I was beginning to think there must be not be any in the area at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Mothman wrote: »
    Sprinklers are grand until you go out forgetting you have them ;).....also in the frosty conditions they may be frozen which may destroy them.

True, water pistols work just as well but you have to sit there at the ready, mind you they (cats) get the message very quick and you probably only have to do it a couple of times.

Just spotted a Teal on the ice to add to this winter's list. :)

The swans were almost marooned this morning and had to be ice breakers to get to the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Golly, we seem to have an invasion of chaffinch and blackbirds, about twenty blackbirds this morning and five chaffinch. These must be winter visitor chaffinch, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

The Blackbirds in my area are singing again, I love listening to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Bsal wrote: »
    The Blackbirds in my area are singing again, I love listening to them.
    Yes. they seem to be the first ones to sing in the morning. i've heard birds singing as early as 4/5 in the morning. Magpies are 'keepers' of our trees it appears.

Just back from staying with a friend in Germany and he has Nuthatches and Marsh Tits coming to feeders in his garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I was up about 5.45 this morning and the blackbird was giving it socks.
    The Robin doesnt usually start up til about 7.30 7.45

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement