Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New minor road signs

Options
  • 24-11-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

What's the idea behind the new road signs showing a road number at the entrance of each minor road leaving a major road?
    I've noticed them appearing over the past few weeks.

Thanks,
    Charles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Was just going to ask the same question the other night :) 'L' numbers on every small lane it seems. Recesion !! Jeez. Each sign probably costs €100-€200 and there are hundreds of them. Must be an EU thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Its a bit like all the roads being named in the north, except they couldn't be bothered naming them here an just number them instead!

think on it this way You have the N13 / N15 - R245 ect, all the smaller roads were always called L 2456 ect, the signs started appearing over a year ago now, well thints when i noticed them.

although Why they need signs to indicate them , God only knows It's not like the tourists will be stopped looking for directions to the L 5489 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Its a bit like all the roads being named in the north, except they couldn't be bothered naming them here an just number them instead!

think on it this way You have the N13 / N15 - R245 ect, all the smaller roads were always called L 2456 ect, the signs started appearing over a year ago now, well thints when i noticed them.

although Why they need signs to indicate them , God only knows It's not like the tourists will be stopped looking for directions to the L 5489 :o

And as if a local would know where the L5489 road is when a tourist would stop, even in the local lived on the road and after about 20 mins of trying to figure out where they are looking for, the penny drops its the Glan road or such and such they are looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Its a pure waste of money this is the kind of waste that needs to be stopped if there going to put up a sign put up a sign saying the name of the place not a bloody cryptic code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

It's a sign that civilisation is finally arriving - to the local authorities at least. As to when it will arrive to the denizens - judging by posts to date, that is some generations away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Great to see these signs up, every road has its code which are on maps which help people not from the area find their way around. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im just wondering if this is connected in any way to the sat nav systems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

muffler wrote: »

Nah, more likely its related to the postcodes we're getting.

The question puzzles me given that the poster purports to be a moderator inter alia in construction and planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

What's the idea behind the new road signs showing a road number at the entrance of each minor road leaving a major road?
    I've noticed them appearing over the past few weeks.
    These signs have been in other parts of the country, eg Clare, Limerick, Galway, for many years now.
    No
    Pique wrote: »
    Nah, more likely its related to the postcodes we're getting.
    No

• Advertisement

emanresu wrote: »
    These signs have been in other parts of the country, eg Clare, Limerick, Galway, for many years now.

No

No

So do tell us what are they for then , you seem to be able to tell everyone What they are not for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

So do tell us what are they for then , you seem to be able to tell everyone What they are not for ;)

To enable people to find roads according to the road numbers shown on a map.
    The signs for L roads have been around (in some parts of the country) before satnavs and the postcode proposals.

emanresu wrote: »
    To enable people to find roads according to the road numbers shown on a map.
    The signs for L roads have been around (in some parts of the country) before satnavs and the postcode proposals.

Yeah i know they are about for a while i seen them in Galway a good few years ago, and the roads always had the numbers, but why the sudden splurge of signs appearing at the end of the road, i'm yet to see a map with the L number printed on it? only time i have ever seen the L numbers used is for road closure notices.

garancafan wrote: »
    The question puzzles me
    Why?

given that the poster purports to be a moderator inter alia in construction and planning.
    This is relevant to the topic.... how?

Why?

This is relevant to the topic.... how?
    I would have thought that being a moderator would entail some expertise in the topic. Accordingly I would have thought that expertise in planning would include some knowledge of GPS systems and road numbering systems. If my thoughts are unfounded please correct me.

If my thoughts are unfounded please correct me.
    You stand corrected then so.

Please stay on topic from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Had popcorn ready just now. (puts it away for now)

What defines a road from a lane ?

irish1967 wrote: »
    Had popcorn ready just now. (puts it away for now)

What defines a road from a lane ?

I think a road is public as in council maintained / owned... a lane is private... Well thats my understanding of it, although i'm likely wrong open to correction on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thought this was an old thing till I noticed one on the road up to foodland beside supervalue in Donegal Town this morning. There does seem to be more and more springing up in the most random places.

Thought they were just confined to back/country roads branching from national and regional roads.

Advertisement