Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bookmad wrote: »
    I differ though speeds are way better ..... In my opion and also unlimited data

only in your dreams dude, it's all just eircom bitstream service anyway except in a few select exchanges where it *may* be BT LLU

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bookmad

bealtine wrote: »
    only in your dreams dude, it's all just eircom bitstream service anyway except in a few select exchanges where it *may* be BT LLU
    Do you think I don't notice the speed difference since switch ! Probably are on the BT LLU system . Still unlimited downloads is a bonus :) and the price

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sky speeds are different,im getting almost 8mb, the best eircom could give is 3 mb, non LLU exchange.
    Its not eircoms gear sky are using its BT`s.

Dcully wrote: »
    Sky speeds are different,im getting almost 8mb, the best eircom could give is 3 mb, non LLU exchange.
    Its not eircoms gear sky are using its BT`s.

Only in selected exchanges that's approx 60 or so, the rest of the 1200 are eircom bitstream...sure sky can "fiddle" with the profile but it is still eircom bitstream.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

bealtine wrote: »
    Only in selected exchanges that's approx 60 or so, the rest of the 1200 are eircom bitstream...sure sky can "fiddle" with the profile but it is still eircom bitstream.

Thats a totally different statement to

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats a totally different statement to

You seem to have difficulties with basic comprehension of English.

Both statements are extremely accurate and mean exactly the same thing...

I reiterate that according to Sky they will be providing services on 60 or so BT LLU exchanges where that is available the rest will be eircom bitstream.

Sky do not have a magic wand of any sort and at most get to fiddle with profiles but if you have a 3Mb/s link now you will most likely have a 3Mb/s link after you join Sky, if you have an upto 8Mb/s link so the max you can get is 5/6Mb/s unless you live in the exchange and so on. Most eircom exchanges are upto 8Mb/s and look like will never be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rapascoo

Just finished up my contract with Digiweb. Broadband service was OK , but unfortunately our landlord returned and we had to leave our the house.As we had signed up for 12 months contract they enforced a 3 month penalty (€150) unless I signed up again with them in my new place. I could not do this as they do not provide the service in my new area. The rather sarcastic "customer support" assistant was of no help at all. Be careful of this if you are looking for providers. I do not recall any conversation on a 3 month penalty. That being said I had not planned to leave so I probably did not pay attention even if the did tell me.
    [To be honest, if this turns even one person off signing with them the little spiteful child inside of me will smile, if you are that person let me know]

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingemiester

Looking for opinions of UPC service in Mullingar? Or just anything better than UTV?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carvillshill

Hi All, newbie here, great information in Cabaal's threads on broadband, lot of effort put in.
    About to move to a rural location in Feighcullen, Co. Kildare about 5k the Naas side of Rathangan. Nearest neighbour has Riplle, but the reports on them are poor, to say the least so am resigned to getting satellite such as Qsat or Digiweb. Anyone in that area have anything to say about satellite or indeed to prove me wrong about Ripple?
    TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ps200306

Hi All, newbie here, great information in Cabaal's threads on broadband, lot of effort put in.
    About to move to a rural location in Feighcullen, Co. Kildare about 5k the Naas side of Rathangan. Nearest neighbour has Riplle, but the reports on them are poor, to say the least so am resigned to getting satellite such as Qsat or Digiweb. Anyone in that area have anything to say about satellite or indeed to prove me wrong about Ripple?
    TIA.

Hi carvillshill, I'm in a similar situation to you. Out in the wilds of Wexford, and will never trust fixed wireless again after the fiasco I had for 3 years of practically non-existent service with the local wireless cowboys. I'd previously had Digiweb satellite but it was super-slow and super-expensive, although rock solid.

I went back to Digiweb about a year and a half ago, when they started offering the new Ka-band satellite at more realistic rates. I initially had 8 Mbps for €60/month, but they upped that to 12 Mbps for free last November. Satellite has its obvious limitations, especially with latency so no gaming or real-time apps and VPN suffers somewhat, but I was very surprised to find that it supports VoIP and Skype quite nicely, with a tolerable delay. The real killer is monthly download limits, which were 8 GB and upped to 16 GB in November. You won't download a whole tonne of video for that, obviously.

I just had a quick scan of their website, however, and I see that their current offering (which I presume they will roll out to oldies like me too) is 20 Mbps with 20 GB/month, but with unlimited download between 11pm and 7am. This doesn't apply to the basic €40/month package, which I had been considering downgrading to, but I'll probably keep the higher package if they give me all-you-can-eat nighttime data.

I've speed-tested the satellite connection many time, and it's pretty consistent -- I actually get about 12.5 Mbps down most of the time. So all in all I am a very satisfied customer, given the advertised limitations, and the not-so-cheap price. (Hope this doesn't sound like an ad... I've no affiliation with them). Oh, one other thing, their Tooway dish is a bit of an ugly mother, make sure it's sited acceptably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 carvillshill

Thanks very much for that. At least the Digiweb offering will get me an acceptable service. Would be interested if anyone has experience of the Ripple service around there or has gone with Qsat or any other satellite provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

Moving from Canada to Dublin 3 - fairview
    Want to get an idea of which company i should go with

want unlimited or near unlimited downloads
    speeds of 20mb 2mbps down at least
    dependable
    without TV if i can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My vodafone package is up for renewal so I thought I'd look into other options. The only other real option seems to be Eircom (I'm out the country). They can offer me the same 7mb broadband package with unlimited downloads (currently limited to 300gb but i've never used that up yet) for €8 cheaper than Vodafone.

Is the Eircom sports thing worth it? I'd only really be looking to watch the F1 on it. I take it they use Setanta and the quality isn't up to much.

One thing that instantly turned me off Eircom was getting stuck in an automated system on their sales line. It just reminded me how much of a headache it is dealing with Eircom over the phone. I hung up.

Have people found Eircom dependable? I haven't had too many issues with vodafone and their support isn't the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Anyone any experience of Vodafone Simply broadband. 24mb with 15gb allowance for 29.99.
    Any other suggestions for my area. 30 quid is as much as I can afford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

peadar76 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of Vodafone Simply broadband. 24mb with 15gb allowance for 29.99.
    Any other suggestions for my area. 30 quid is as much as I can afford
    The speed is ok but the download limit is terrible, you could go through that fairly quick if you watch a bit of youtube. You may not get 24mb either. If your anywhere out the country it's probably a 5mb connection. Even if they tell you it's 7mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

Hi Guys,

I see loads of threads about this but I cannot find an answer anywhere. Sorry if you have heard this many times but I really need an advice...

I live in between Ardrahan and Craughwell in Co. Galway. At the moment I'm paying 55 euro a month to eircom for a phone line where the volume is very very low and a "superfast" broadband of 1MB!! It usually is about 0.7, 0.8

I did a bit of reasearch and I dont think there are many solutions out there as the cables coming to my house are probably too old or too small to be able to give me a faster broadband. What solutions are out there for me? Satellite? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Yanu wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I see loads of threads about this but I cannot find an answer anywhere. Sorry if you have heard this many times but I really need an advice...

I live in between Ardrahan and Craughwell in Co. Galway. At the moment I'm paying 55 euro a month to eircom for a phone line where the volume is very very low and a "superfast" broadband of 1MB!! It usually is about 0.7, 0.8

I did a bit of reasearch and I dont think there are many solutions out there as the cables coming to my house are probably too old or too small to be able to give me a faster broadband. What solutions are out there for me? Satellite? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

Hi

Is fixed wireless available to you? If you are nearer to Ardrahan the Metro service from Digiweb is available with speeds up to 30MB with phone service for less than you currently pay with Eircom. Worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi

Is fixed wireless available to you? If you are nearer to Ardrahan the Metro service from Digiweb is available with speeds up to 30MB with phone service for less than you currently pay with Eircom. Worth a call.

Thanks Cunnijo, really appreciate the help

Just spoke to them. The only thing I can get from them is Satellite, I'm too far from everything....

Deal seems ok apart from installation fee of €249

€60 per month to get a 20 down and 6 up, 20gb monthly allowance with unlimited at night. no phone line though

Anybody with a satellite broadband out there? Any reviews? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Anyone know what broadband packages are available in Crumlin, Dublin area.

I am hearing mixed reports as to if UPCs Fibre 100 package is available. Some are saying it only up to 24 mb and it is more expensive than the 100 mb one for new customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Lads my advice DO NOT GET UTV BROADBAND!!!!!!

pain in the arse that lot:mad:

been with them for a couple of years but their prices are outdated!
    too expensive (60€ for up to 8mb and phone).
    not much alternatives in rural galway.
    Ie eircom and vodafone!!!
    I think i will pass!

PS is there a list of what exchanges are going to be fibre enabled???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

seanin4711 wrote: »
    been with them for a couple of years but their prices are outdated!
    too expensive (60€ for up to 8mb and phone).
    not much alternatives in rural galway.
    Ie eircom and vodafone!!!
    I think i will pass!

PS is there a list of what exchanges are going to be fibre enabled???

My contract is up with UTV in May,although my opinion of them has changed a good bit I will still be leaving them as it can be very slow at time and online gaming is just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Okay, have put in my 30 day cancellation notice with Meteor today. Now looking for a new provider. Want a large download limit so I just don't have to worry about it. Was on 10GB with meteor and had to eke it out every month, limiting my internet experience, so large limit and decent speed is a must(want online streaming and gaming to be an option).

In Dooradoyle/Raheen region of Limerick. UPC is available AFAIK but too expensive as I am unwilling to move from Sky TV. Looks like my choice is between Sky or Smart, both available for ~€30. Any thoughts anyone?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Okay, have put in my 30 day cancellation notice with Meteor today. Now looking for a new provider. Want a large download limit so I just don't have to worry about it. Was on 10GB with meteor and had to eke it out every month, limiting my internet experience, so large limit and decent speed is a must(want online streaming and gaming to be an option).

In Dooradoyle/Raheen region of Limerick. UPC is available AFAIK but too expensive as I am unwilling to move from Sky TV. Looks like my choice is between Sky or Smart, both available for ~€30. Any thoughts anyone?

Hi
    Firstly you do not have to leave Sky to avail of UPC. They offer broadband and phone services seperate from TV and do not charge line rental (like Sky or Smart amongst others do). Fixed wireless may be an option for you in the form of WiMax (Imagine) or Metro (Digiweb)

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi
    Firstly you do not have to leave Sky to avail of UPC. They offer broadband and phone services seperate from TV and do not charge line rental (like Sky or Smart amongst others do).
    You don't have to leave sky, but you do have to add on a 7.50€ surcharge onto your broadband price, bringing lowest price to ~47.50€
    Fixed wireless may be an option for you in the form of WiMax (Imagine) or Metro (Digiweb)
    Metro looks interesting, but price-wise is no cheaper than UPC after the first 3 months. WiMax is up to 10mbps, making Smart and Sky's up to 24mbps appear to be a better deal for the same price.

Thanks for input though

Jackobyte wrote: »
    You don't have to leave sky, but you do have to add on a 7.50€ surcharge onto your broadband price, bringing lowest price to ~47.50€

Metro looks interesting, but price-wise is no cheaper than UPC after the first 3 months. WiMax is up to 10mbps, making Smart and Sky's up to 24mbps appear to be a better deal for the same price.

Thanks for input though

Hi

No problem. Just a point to note. Smart is now part of the Digiweb group who also supply Metro (speeds between 5 - 30MB). Also 24MB over a phone line is next to impossible and you probally will not get what you are hoping for while paying a high price for it thanks to the incumbent Eircom. For €47.00 you will get 50MB + Anytime World phone service from UPC with a low contention ratio and no download limit (€5 extra for 100MB).

Just a thought.

Personally, I'd love to go with UPC. However, they are 27€ more than what we are currently paying, and €17 more than the other options, and I can't condone such expense. I'm in a locality with an LLU exchange so I believe Smart and Sky packages in the area should have relatively decent speeds(12mbps+).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 feemcdee55

Hi Folks, I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I'm currently looking for a landline and broadband deal. Is eircom the best around? I need to get a landline as mobile coverage is impossible to get indoors and I'm fed up handing out of windows having a conversation when its raining, also I feel broadband would be better with eircom that the likes of 02.... Have ye any info on this?

Thanks

feemcdee55 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I'm currently looking for a landline and broadband deal. Is eircom the best around? I need to get a landline as mobile coverage is impossible to get indoors and I'm fed up handing out of windows having a conversation when its raining, also I feel broadband would be better with eircom that the likes of 02.... Have ye any info on this?

Thanks

Hi
    What part of the country are you in? If you're in an area served by UPC then go for it. If not there is the option of fixed wireless from for example Imagine (WiMAx) and Digiweb (Metro) these would be a better and cheaper alternative especially to Eircom. As for phonelins options there are lot of other providers other than Eircom and they are cheaper too. Sky, Smart & UTV are examples of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hi all, any help appreciated.

I'm in Swords, North Dublin.
    Currently with O2 mobile broadband paying €14.99 per month for 15GB. I keep going over the allowance by around 5GB and getting shafted on fees for it.

We have UPC digital max+ with HD tv paying €42 per month.

I want to increase my broadband limit, is UPC the way to go or does anyone know of a better deal with my details?

Cheers

• Advertisement

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hi all, any help appreciated.

I'm in Swords, North Dublin.
    Currently with O2 mobile broadband paying €14.99 per month for 15GB. I keep going over the allowance by around 5GB and getting shafted on fees for it.

We have UPC digital max+ with HD tv paying €42 per month.

I want to increase my broadband limit, is UPC the way to go or does anyone know of a better deal with my details?

Cheers

Hi

If you are UPC cable (as against their MMDS service) then yes by all means. With speeds starting at 50MB and no download cap what are you waiting for.

Advertisement