Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

Yanu wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I see loads of threads about this but I cannot find an answer anywhere. Sorry if you have heard this many times but I really need an advice...

I live in between Ardrahan and Craughwell in Co. Galway. At the moment I'm paying 55 euro a month to eircom for a phone line where the volume is very very low and a "superfast" broadband of 1MB!! It usually is about 0.7, 0.8

I did a bit of reasearch and I dont think there are many solutions out there as the cables coming to my house are probably too old or too small to be able to give me a faster broadband. What solutions are out there for me? Satellite? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

Airwire's website is showing that they have services in Craughwell and Ardrahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Anyone know what the best and cheapest adsl option is in Castlebar I'm about 100m from the exchange, if anyone in town could link me a pingtest that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Anyone have magnets 24mb for 40 a month? Was thinking of getting it and want some reviews and opinions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paidi_ed

Hi,
    I am in Farran in Cork. I have tried a few providers so far, nova networks, permanet and ripplecom but none service Farran they say. Unless someone knows of a wireless provider that provide coverage in the Farran area my only option will be satellite I believe.

Paidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

paidi_ed wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am in Farran in Cork. I have tried a few providers so far, nova networks, permanet and ripplecom but none service Farran they say. Unless someone knows of a wireless provider that provide coverage in the Farran area my only option will be satellite I believe.

Paidi

My information tells me that the following may be available there:
    Cork community broadband : http://www.ccbisp.net/
    Airwave : http://www.airwave.ie/

give them a try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paidi_ed

Thanks a lot, I tried airwave and they say they cover Farran so are coming out for a check.

Thanks again.
    bealtine wrote: »
    My information tells me that the following may be available there:
    Cork community broadband : http://www.ccbisp.net/
    Airwave : http://www.airwave.ie/

give them a try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Hello I am in an apartment block in portsalon near fanad in Donegal and I have been assigned to get a broadband source for the other 20 apartments.
    Any reccomendations for source firstly, a quick look at uswitch says Vodafone, but would I get 24mbps in the country? Max about 400 per year need decent speeds.

Secondly its a fairly big block so brick walls so I was thinking centralised router with repeaters?

Anybody

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

North west electronics may do a deal for roof space. If you have a lot of holidaymakers/rentals in that block you need a central ethernet switch and pay by the month packages where they just plug a laptop into the wall IMO.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    North west electronics may do a deal for roof space. If you have a lot of holidaymakers/rentals in that block you need a central ethernet switch and pay by the month packages where they just plug a laptop into the wall IMO.
    The people actually own the apartments which is why I was thinking of router and repeaters. Wat soi u mean by do a deal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NWE need high sites on the northern Donegal peninsulas where they have a lot of their business

http://www.nwewn.com/deti/deti_project.php

eircom have no fibre beyond Tamney..... that i know of, could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

I have wicklow broadband and I have to say it's doing the job for me at the minute. There is no slow down in the evenings, 2 iphones, 1 desktop, 1 xbox and sky on demand, no issues so far.

Wicklow broadband

I have the 7mb package, although the ping is a little high at times, it seems to be doing the job.

2642674041.png

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

Hello,
    could someone let me know or, at least, give me an idea which areas of Cork are covered by UPC?
    I'm moving from Dublin to Cork for job reason and I would like to keep the service (also, my contract will end in August and I will have to pay €150 to close it early!).
    Otherwise, could you recommend me some services in that area, especially something without or with a big download allowance?
    I saw that Sky broadband is covering Ireland now, anyone has this connection to know how it's?
    Thank you in advance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

smanet wrote: »
    Hello,
    could someone let me know or, at least, give me an idea which areas of Cork are covered by UPC?
    I'm moving from Dublin to Cork for job reason and I would like to keep the service (also, my contract will end in August and I will have to pay €150 to close it early!).
    Otherwise, could you recommend me some services in that area, especially something without or with a big download allowance?
    I saw that Sky broadband is covering Ireland now, anyone has this connection to know how it's?
    Thank you in advance :)

Hi

The best thing to do is check your new address on the UPC website. If it is a city address then there should be no problem just contact 1908 and choose moving house. You will most certainly avoid the €150 cancellation penalty.

If not then if you want a high capacity download limit (350GB) then DSL/NGB is as close as you'll get but again that will depend on the new address. Fixed wireless is an option but download caps could be fairly low and it too will depend on location.

hi cunnijo,
    thanks for the reply.
    My wife and I are checking daft and myhome to find one house/apartment.
    Most of the time I don't know the exact address of the property I'm viewing.
    So, knowing at least which zones are covered, it will be very helpful for us.
    We are looking for centre zones as well as zones not too far from the centre.
    Any help or experience will be appreciated :)
    thank you again!

smanet wrote: »
    hi cunnijo,
    thanks for the reply.
    My wife and I are checking daft and myhome to find one house/apartment.
    Most of the time I don't know the exact address of the property I'm viewing.
    So, knowing at least which zones are covered, it will be very helpful for us.
    We are looking for centre zones as well as zones not too far from the centre.
    Any help or experience will be appreciated :)
    thank you again!

Hi

From your reply you are planning to hopefully live within the city. If this is the case then when you know your exact address contact UPC on 1908 as I mentioned earlier and get them to transfer your account. Less time and hassle for you.

Hi,
    I understood your point, but at the same time, I don't want to pickup the perfect house and discover later that I cannot have my connection.
    That's the main point actually.
    Anyway, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Hi all,

I've been out of the country for three years or so, so I'm not quite up to speed with the BB situation in Ireland....still, I fear this will be a foolish question. Are there any broadband providers in the Waterford/Tramore area (or anywhere else for that matter) in Ireland who provide broadband on a monthly contract basis? I'm not talking about 3G, I'm quite the gamer so would need something with a reasonable ping.

I fear that I've been spoilt here in Germany by a company that provides an ADSL service on a monthly contract basis.

Total Wireless provide broadband to parts of the Tramore area as well as parts of S. Kilkenny.

Ping times are good, no download limits.

PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rodneys

Hi , I am living just outside Newcastle West, as you head up Barna, anyone know who supplies good broadband in this area?
    I have just cancelled Vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Hi All,

I'm working in Beechmount Industrial Estate, Navan, Co Meath and we currently are on BT ADSL up to 10MB. We regularly receive 6-7mb download and it's very inconsistent.

Can anybody recommend and alternative supplier or are there any wireless suppliers in this area?

Thanks

• Advertisement

rodneys wrote: »
    Hi , I am living just outside Newcastle West, as you head up Barna, anyone know who supplies good broadband in this area?
    I have just cancelled Vodafone

Try:
    High Velocity Broadband
    BB Net
    Permanet
    Ripplecom

All fixed wireless providers.

There are some beta maps (indicative only) available here

Moanin wrote: »

Can anybody recommend and alternative supplier or are there any wireless suppliers in this area?

Thanks

Try
    Net 1
    Ripplecom

and long shot

Regional Broadband

These are not recommendations but they appear to be operating in your area.

Moanin wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm working in Beechmount Industrial Estate, Navan, Co Meath and we currently are on BT ADSL up to 10MB. We regularly receive 6-7mb download and it's very inconsistent.

Thanks
    Hi

Digiweb Metro fixed wireless to the best of my knowledge is available in your area. It has speeds up to 30Mb down,1Mb up. Check with http://www.digiweb.ie to confirm. Use any browser other that IE when checking your location as IE does not allow the drop down list of options when you select your county and area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

I'm in Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow, and want wifi but no phone line or home phone. I've read up on Wicklow broadband; has anyone personal experience of them, or can anyone recommend a good alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

I'm in Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow, and want wifi but no phone line or home phone. I've read up on Wicklow broadband; has anyone personal experience of them, or can anyone recommend a good alternative?

Yes, but in Dalkey/Killiney rather than Rathdrum. I have a rock-solid 9M/2M connection with low latency. Been perfect since install, only issue is price (I pay 59/month).

I'd call them and see if they can give you any local references, I had a glowing report from a neighbour ahead of buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I'm living in the Blackrock/Ballinlough area in Cork and can't get UPC (wish I'd checked that before moving in!). Can someone recommend a decent provider? We have a (disconnected) landline but I would prefer not to have a phone/broadband bundle as we'll probably never use the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rodneys

clohamon wrote: »
    Try:
    High Velocity Broadband
    BB Net
    Permanet
    Ripplecom

All fixed wireless providers.

Thanks, might try BB net, looks like the best deal

I'm living in the Blackrock/Ballinlough area in Cork and can't get UPC (wish I'd checked that before moving in!). Can someone recommend a decent provider? We have a (disconnected) landline but I would prefer not to have a phone/broadband bundle as we'll probably never use the phone.

Hi
    If you do not wish to reactivate the landline then there is fixed wireless. Metro from Digiweb offer up to 30MB + anytime calls fir €49.95pm (€29.95 for the first 3 months) with free installation. Just checked their website http://www.digiweb.ie and Blackrock in Cork seems to be covered. So they might be worth a call.

Just a footnote broadband only is €5 less per month but you will still be assigned a telephone number. Sales will confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Molaar

New to Ireland. Will be moving to a rented cottage in Mayo next month. The cottage supposedly already has Cable TV, and I do see a satellite on the roof in the pics. Does this mean that it is already set up with UPC, and so to add good broadband, all I have to do is sign up with UPC and they'll send me a modem that I can hook up?

Many thanks
    Molaar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Molaar wrote: »
    New to Ireland. Will be moving to a rented cottage in Mayo next month. The cottage supposedly already has Cable TV, and I do see a satellite on the roof in the pics. Does this mean that it is already set up with UPC, and so to add good broadband, all I have to do is sign up with UPC and they'll send me a modem that I can hook up?

Umm there's no UPC in Mayo...sorry.

Your options in Mayo are:
    DSL - maybe
    Fixed Wireless - probably
    Mobile internet (barely broadband) - maybe
    Some string and a few tin cans
    Then Satellite

Advertisement