Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Molaar

bealtine wrote: »
    Umm there's no UPC in Mayo...sorry.

Your options in Mayo are:
    DSL - maybe
    Fixed Wireless - probably
    Mobile internet (barely broadband) - maybe
    Some string and a few tin cans
    Then Satellite

Ok. Never mind super fast broadband, I'm good with just decent internet browsing speeds; ethernet or USB into my computer, and would like to have it asap when I arrive. Money's no object, so I can buy my own modem/router or whatever, sign up with the best provider if it's necessary, etc. Forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about wireless, and nothing about providers/signal in Mayo. What should I do?

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Molaar wrote: »
    Ok. Never mind super fast broadband, I'm good with just decent internet browsing speeds; ethernet or USB into my computer, and would like to have it asap when I arrive. Money's no object, so I can buy my own modem/router or whatever, sign up with the best provider if it's necessary, etc. Forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about wireless, and nothing about providers/signal in Mayo. What should I do?

Many thanks

Ok where in Mayo, it's a big county?

Ok where in Mayo, it's a big county?

South of Castlebar, by Lough Carra. Between Castlebar and Ballinrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

South of Castlebar, by Lough Carra. Between Castlebar and Ballinrobe.

Try Westnet http://www.westnet.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any suggestions for which provider would be best for Churchhill Meadows, Raheen, Limerick?

Looking at possibly including it with a TV bundle.

I was in Vodafone the other day and they said they're rolling out fibre today? Is that true?

• Advertisement

I looked into Meteor as well, for a mobile "broadband" since I don't need it that fast and don't like the installation thing (since I'm short-term renting my place). They claim their USB stick gets up to 20 Mbps and they claim they have good coverage in Mayo and it would "work perfectly" in the countryside south of Castlebar. Are they full of crap? I've heard horror stories of folks having to dangle their dongles out the window. I'd prefer to avoid dongle-dangling if at all possible. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

I looked into Meteor as well, for a mobile "broadband" since I don't need it that fast and don't like the installation thing (since I'm short-term renting my place). They claim their USB stick gets up to 20 Mbps and they claim they have good coverage in Mayo and it would "work perfectly" in the countryside south of Castlebar. Are they full of crap? I've heard horror stories of folks having to dangle their dongles out the window. I'd prefer to avoid dongle-dangling if at all possible. :)

Average mobile download speeds in Ireland are 1.5 - 3Mb/s (source Akamai SOTI).You can go here to check where the base stations are. Check Meteor's coverage maps also. Ask for a trial - usually 7-14 days - but whatever you do, look at this post on the Midband Forum

clohamon wrote: »
    Average mobile download speeds in Ireland are 1.5 - 3Mb/s (source Akamai SOTI).You can go here to check where the base stations are. Check Meteor's coverage maps also. Ask for a trial - usually 7-14 days - but whatever you do, look at this post on the Midband Forum

Checked it out, thanks. So how close would you say you need to be to one of these base stations to get decent reception indoors? I'm about 2km from a 3/NBS, and maybe 5 from a Meteor.

Checked it out, thanks. So how close would you say you need to be to one of these base stations to get decent reception indoors? I'm about 2km from a 3/NBS, and maybe 5 from a Meteor.

Rule of thumb is 1km for 3g. (source DETI-NI). Depends on radio frequency, terrain, contention (uncontrolled), wall thickness, etc, etc. The NBS (National Broadband Scheme) is a 'guaranteed' government-subsidised service and has a higher download cap. It only operates in certain areas (press the NBS radio button on the bottom of the sidebar on the map to find out which). Another consideration is that the provider of that service, '3' has acquired a poor reputation for customer service and it may take some time and headache to vindicate your rights under the scheme.

You should check with your landlord about the fixed-line DSL connection. Ballinrobe and Partree exchanges are enabled for fixed-line (DSL).

Long story short; if you have to use mobile, trial both if possible and hand the worst one back. Or use the trial period to tide you over until you can check out the Fixed Line and Fixed Wireless options.

These issues have been discussed at length on the Midband Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

At the end, I'm moving in Mahon, Jacob's Island, Cork.
    As I understood from Eircom website, that area should be covered by eFibre between July and December.
    However, I will need a line starting from end of May.
    After a fast review and some calls/chats/emails with Magnet and Eircom, I have two options:

Magnet Stream, up to 24 Mbit, I assume over Eircom lines (bitstream) (€45 month) + €50 connection fee - no contract

Eircom Broadband 8/24 Mbit (6 months €35, €50 after) - no connection fee + 12 months contract

Eircom already said that I will get free of charge the new eFibre when it will come.
    I think Magnet will do the same.
    However, Magnet, at the same price, will offer a 70 Mbps. Eircom, "only" 50 Mbps.
    In your opinion, what would be the right choice? Any direct experience with either companies?
    Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

Magnet seem to be getting better reviews than Eircom overall on these forums and if they are offering 70MB when fibre comes available at a lower cost then go for it. However if you do not have a phone line at your new location you may be tied to Eircom as they have to install the line for you (if however the line is already in place then I'm sure Magnet can get it activated for you if you sign up with them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any suggestions for which provider would be best for Churchhill Meadows, Raheen, Limerick?

Looking at possibly including it with a TV bundle.

I was in Vodafone the other day and they said they're rolling out fibre today? Is that true?

Did you ever choose a provider? Im moving to Dooradoyle and cant get UPC in the estate and havent a clue whether to get Sky or try another provider...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Guys -

I'm looking for options:

want to get broadband into the house (there is no phone line at present) - its in Enfield Co. Meath.

At the moment I can only find two options:
    - Eircom
    - BT

Ideally a decent connection with upload and download speeds - it wont be used very often just to have it at home.... might be looking at watching movies streamed that kind of thing - not into the download thing so that doesn't bother us.

both myself and the girlfriend have O2 Dongles but to be honest ... they're slow and we want proper broadband.

Hi live in Enfield too. Had 3 not very reliable have 02 dongle too its ok need a little more than the 15 GB tho just finished week free trial with meteor great until the last day .... Yest .... Dropping to 2 G and no service this morn! Thank god it happened yest ..... Or I would be stuck on 18 month contract !! I wondered if you had any success with a reasonable level of broadband in Enfield? Like you in only want the broad band have the freeview no charge tv which is fab ....

Thanks

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Just looking for advice.

Moving into Donnycarney next Tuesday, for a short term lease (about 4 months)

Very eager to get broadband up and running as soon as possible, as I need to browse the web for jobs next September.

Could anyone recommend an option? Either Magnet (no contract), dongle (not quick enough, and need connection for iPad)

Any advise would be really welcome - apologies in advance for lack of knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

just moved to dun laoghaire (crosthwaite park west)only to be faced with the news that there is no UPC.
    What are my options? There is an Eircom connection in the house I believe, but I won't be using Eircom unless I really have 0 other options.
    Is there any way I can get faster than 24mb? Not sure I can live with that speed after UPC.

What other providers are in this area? and which would have the most reliable service? Or is it all the same and youre just choosing who sends you the bill?
    I am waiting to hear from fatpipe, but I think they can only do 24mb here right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

just moved to dun laoghaire (crosthwaite park west)only to be faced with the news that there is no UPC.
    What are my options? There is an Eircom connection in the house I believe, but I won't be using Eircom unless I really have 0 other options.
    Is there any way I can get faster than 24mb? Not sure I can live with that speed after UPC.

What other providers are in this area? and which would have the most reliable service? Or is it all the same and youre just choosing who sends you the bill?
    I am waiting to hear from fatpipe, but I think they can only do 24mb here right now.

Unless you go wireless, UPC would be the only provider that use their own infrastructure. Everyone else would use Eircom's. So yes, i think you'll be choosing who's bill looks the prettier.

Hi

According to Eircom's efibre map Dun Laoghaire and Rochestown are fibre enabled. So any of the ISP's other than Eircom should be able to provide speeds up to 70Mb (including Magnet). If however for some unknown reason it is not available to you then Metro Express from Digiweb should be. It is a fixed wireless service with speeds up to 30Mb and will hopefully be upgraded to 100Mb soon. For further info visit their website at http://www.digiweb.ie.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

HI lads, just wondering is there is anybody connected to the Leopardstown Inn fibre cabinet on Vodafone and if so what speeds are you getting. I am around 500 mtrs from the cab and condsidering getting fibre although my 6.9mg is working ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Has any one able to order or have installed eFibre in the frankfield / grange / douglas area yet. ?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

closifer wrote: »
    Did you ever choose a provider? Im moving to Dooradoyle and cant get UPC in the estate and havent a clue whether to get Sky or try another provider...

I'm in Dooradoyle also. I get UPC via MMDS, so it's an aerial on the roof. They can't do broadband. For my internet I use Digiweb Wireless Metro. Again, another aerial on the roof but it has been quite good for the past 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

Folks,

I'm moving up to Rosses Point this weekend. I'm the first tenant in a new build. The house does have a phone line installed but there never has been a connection/activation. I'm getting Sky TV installed.

Eircom tell me that the exchange can take a max of 17Mb but they can offer a max of 7Mb in a package. This would be unlimited usage. They also say that there is no UAN assigned yet and that they must activate the phone line themselves, which ties me into a contract. They also say that they will be rolling out efibre in that area in July-December 2013 and would give me a free upgrade at that time. However, Rosses Point isn't on their efibre installation map on the website and there are no exchanges marked on the Boards.ie mapping project.

I phoned Sky about their broadband/phone package and they said that because I didn't have an active phone line they can't help me.

I phoned Vodafone who offered to connect/activate me with a free "new line order" with a delay of 15 days. Also free UK/Irish landline calls and 100 minutes to mobiles. They also said that I would get 17Mb with no contention from the exchange with an upgrade to fibre (70Mb) at some stage down the line. As I'm renting for a year, they would have a contract renewal for the fibre upgrade but would release me from this contract if moving to a place that was not fibre-enabled.

I'd appreciate any advice / opinion on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nickcoady

Well,

I'm looking to get wireless broadband in south wexford. Anyone have any advice. Carnsore broadband seems good , does anyone use them? Are they really unlimited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It very much depends where you are in South Wexford.

Carnsore's service is pretty good, if you are within coverage area. Their access point is Forth Mountain, so if you can see that, it'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭circadian

I've recently moved into an apartment in Dublin 2. There's an old UPC cable/coaxial box in the wall.

Was thinking of going with magnet but if the UPC equipment is there then would that be easier? I'm guessing UPC have an activation charge regardless.

Not really sure what my options are, I just want fast reliable internet with a low enough ping for gaming. Line rental included in the price is a plus.

I'm thinking magnet because of the price, they're offering up to 24meg so I reckon I'm looking at 18 or so installed installed which is fine, the fact that its a month to month contract is a big plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I'm moving to Tubbercurry, Co Sligo. I'm wondering what's the best broadband provider out there?

I see 3, Eircom, and Fastcom are available not sure what else is available, but I won't have a landline. I'm currently with WiMAX which isn't available in Tubbercurry

6781 wrote: »
    I'm moving to Tubbercurry, Co Sligo. I'm wondering what's the best broadband provider out there?

I see 3, Eircom, and Fastcom are available not sure what else is available, but I won't have a landline. I'm currently with WiMAX which isn't available in Tubbercurry

Westnet possibly, for Fixed Wireless. O2 and Vodafone also have 3g sites in the area.

Wimax is not a provider it's a type of technology, maybe you're thinking of Imagine.

circadian wrote: »
    I've recently moved into an apartment in Dublin 2. There's an old UPC cable/coaxial box in the wall.

Was thinking of going with magnet but if the UPC equipment is there then would that be easier? I'm guessing UPC have an activation charge regardless.

Not really sure what my options are, I just want fast reliable internet with a low enough ping for gaming. Line rental included in the price is a plus.

I'm thinking magnet because of the price, they're offering up to 24meg so I reckon I'm looking at 18 or so installed installed which is fine, the fact that its a month to month contract is a big plus.

Hi

As there is a UPC connection in the apartment then go with them. They offer speeds up to 150Mb with phone packages up to €57pm (no line rental as no phone lines involved). They do charge a connection fee of €45.00. Check with them regarding length of contract terms.

As for Magnet they offer their Fastpipe product with speeds up to 70Mb but this may require you to install a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irish Henry

Hi All,

I am in Wexford countryside, just south of Enniscorthy town (between Wexford Town and Enniscorthy town).
    I am currently with PermaNET, but need to switch from them as they cannot give me a static IP Address without upgrading to a larger more expensive business package.

I do not have a line which can take Eircom Braodband, so I think I am ruled out of a few providers.

Anybody got any advice on what internet provider I could use apart from PermaNET and Eircom?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm an existing Vodafone customer for my sins and I got the glossy marketing through the door this morning saying fibre is now available in my "neighbourhood" Inside, though, it says "we'll be in touch to upgrade you." So can I get fibre now or not i.e. do I have to wait until some indeterminate time in the future for this phone call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hi,

I'm asking for a friend who's moving into Richmond Road and want to get the best provider. They've had problems with Eircom so would prefer to go with someone else. Is anybody using Sky in this area? If so what is it like?

Advertisement