Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looking to get broadband in the house and sky seems like the simplest option since there's a box here already.

Just wondering does anyone know what the going rate per month for unlimited broadband and a basic tv package is? I presume there's offers for first time customers and that?

Also is line rental and all that included in the quoted prices?

I'm in Cork city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 1murph

over a yr ago i looked into the possibility of getting a higher download speed from our phone line than a dongle.
    The conclusion at the time was the capacity of the existing line here (at Gormanston in Meath) wud not be more than 1mb and there were no planned upgrades for the line.
    Since then I think there has been a bit of work on eircom cables that go by our house and, at the same time, we are finding that our dongle service is becoming less and less satisfactory.
    I rang eircom last year about this but found them totally unhelpful. Is there any better/easier way to get an update on whether it is possible to avail of a hi speed line by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭glen25

Thanks Bealtine. I'll give UPC a call and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Hello there, looking for advice on dongle type payg broadband.
    Live in tuam, co Galway, doing an online course. Need something cheap and reliable.
    Any opinions on the different providers would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ps. Don't have a landline. Have sky satellite if thats any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

[QUOTE=ericsinjun;86578820dongle type payg broadband.
    Need something cheap and reliable.
    [/QUOTE]

No such thing as "reliable" or cheap mobile internet (if you go over the paltry data caps you'll be charged a fortune)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Is UPC considered superior to Sky Broadband? Have Sky TV and want to get broadband. I know eircom are due to upgrade to fibre by September in my area but they are more expensive. Good deal with SKY at the moment for half price for 4 months. there is a socket for a phone line in the house but it was never used. I have Eircom Phonewatch, works without a phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

sassyj wrote: »
    Is UPC considered superior to Sky Broadband? Have Sky TV and want to get broadband. I know eircom are due to upgrade to fibre by September in my area but they are more expensive. Good deal with SKY at the moment for half price for 4 months. there is a socket for a phone line in the house but it was never used. I have Eircom Phonewatch, works without a phone line.

number of points all mixed up there...

UPC *BROADBAND* is far superior to any landline broadband although VDSL(efibre) is catching up but the speed you get on VDSL depends on how far you are from the local cabinet however with UPC it does not (usually) as they use higher quality cables (coax) to your home.

Sky currently do not do VDSL (they are "testing" it)

The TV offerings are a different issue and not really a broadband topic and it's mostly personal preference with TV...you don't need to take UPCs tv offering so if you prefer Sky tv stick with that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What options have I got in Wexford town? Am with skytel at the moment but they are useless. Would prefer unlimited downloads. I think vodafone are probably my best bet but not mad on getting a land line installed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Paying c.€118 every bill (2mths)with Eircom and using c.45-50GB/mth according to Eircom's stats ( my allowance is 30GB )

Any better deals for someone in the bog on DSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Whats best option near bundoran? Have Digiweb satellite 10Gig a month and its useless. GF thinks its due to netflix use but we only watch about 3-4 hours a week. For the past couple of weeks its been taking 5 minutes to load the google homepage and paying E40 a month for the privelege

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Whats best option near bundoran? Have Digiweb satellite 10Gig a month and its useless. GF thinks its due to netflix use but we only watch about 3-4 hours a week. For the past couple of weeks its been taking 5 minutes to load the google homepage and paying E40 a month for the privelege

Best Quality Netflix will cost you 1 Gig per hour, if it is in HD then it is 2.8 Gig a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DesEsseintes

Hi everyone,

Thanks for this very useful thread.

I currently live in Dublin 3, East Road, and use an O2 USB stick I'd love to get rid of.

I'm hesitating between an Wifi broadband device (Three Mobile) and your run of the mill landline connected broadband device (UPC).

What I do on the internet:
    - Regular websurfing
    - I download a few podcasts / audiobooks
    - I stream a few football matches (max 2 / week)
    - No Netflix subscription, as I'm not a big movie fan
    - I'd like to connect my phone and my tablet, download a few apps / games from the Google store

Now a few questions please!

Wifi mobile broadband device:
    - Will it work in my residence, with many other Wifi connections around?
    - Is it reliable?

Landline Fibre Broadband UPC:
    - If I decide to move to another apt, will I be able to take the installation with me?
    - What would you recommend? 50mb / 100mb / 150mb?

Thanks for your time and apologies for my English, as I'm not a native.

Julien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

aka Dus wrote: »
    FYI Wexfordians, I have installed Skytel and am so far very happy
    • Wexford based company
    • Installation charge (including Wifi router and extension pole to improve line of sight to transmitter) €100
    • €30 per month for 18 MB package (getting 17 MBs download speed)
    • 6 month contract
    • Personal customer service

Makes Eircom look foolish, TBH

Carnsore Broadband (Wexford Comany)

LOS. T2.

€30 per month, no contract, no limits, good guys.
    3021126559.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Hi guys, just moved into an apartment block on pop'es quay in cork and am wondering what would be my best option. I don't think we have an eircom connection in the flat itself but there must be in the building as I'm picking up a couple of eircom, some sky and magnet WiFi broadcasts in close proximity. UPC is unfortunately not available and I'd rather avoid that 3G crap if at all possible. I tried looking at eircoms exchange map and I think I'm on church field exchange if that helps at all. Magnet checker says they offer 24mb deal to my apartment but I doubt the reliability of that thing.

Thanks in advance.

indough wrote: »
    Hi guys, just moved into an apartment block on pop'es quay in cork and am wondering what would be my best option. I don't think we have an eircom connection in the flat itself but there must be in the building as I'm picking up a couple of eircom, some sky and magnet WiFi broadcasts in close proximity. UPC is unfortunately not available and I'd rather avoid that 3G crap if at all possible. I tried looking at eircoms exchange map and I think I'm on church field exchange if that helps at all. Magnet checker says they offer 24mb deal to my apartment but I doubt the reliability of that thing.

Thanks in advance.

Stay away from Magnet like the plague, see if Vodafone can offer you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

Hey, I am currently have home broadband with Vodafone but since the start of September the broadband hasn't worked. I have rang Vodafone and they have done multiple tests on the line and said it was the modem. So I went and got a Belkin modem but it still isn't working. Vodafone have said that it isn't the line and that the fault is on our end. Sick of it at this stage so I want to move providers but unsure of who to go with. I've no knowledge about the technical side of things but I just want a connection that works and has decent speed. I'm living in Dublin, near Dundrum so any recommendations would be great thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

As you are in the Dublin area then there is UPC. Their lowest speed is now 120Mb and it costs €44pm. This also includes off peak calls and no line rental. If however this is not an option check if fibre is available in your area. If so you'll have a choice of ISP's including Vodafone. This way if there is an issue with your phone line it will be sorted as Eircom install the special socket in your home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hey, does anyone know what provider(s) allow for a month by month contract? I'm a bit hesitant to get in to a 12, even 6 month contract at the moment.

Thank you!

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know what provider(s) allow for a month by month contract? I'm a bit hesitant to get in to a 12, even 6 month contract at the moment.

Thank you!

Magnet is the only one that does I think, it is technically no contract, but if you break it you have to give them 30 days notice or pay them for the month before they cancel it, it is why I went with them first, lasted just over a week with them, worst experience with a ISP I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 majorlynch

I am living in Cobh and getting 6.6MB with eircom.
    Oddly we don't use the landline but I'm paying nearly €75 a month.

Anyone getting faster then this in Cobh?
    Anyone getting EFibre in Cobh?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Just out of contract on a mobile dongle. Looking to get something else and living in a Fibre enabled area. (very old in-active line in house currently) I don't mind going down the landline option and I'm with VF for my mobile so I can get slightly reduced prices from them for landline services. Calls are not really important so I can take it or leave it when it comes to a calls package. Broadband is the important part.

What's the recomendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Cargo

If fibre is available (and UPC isn't) to you then that's the way to go. As for the old phone line in the house if it is just to one point then OK, as eircom change the main socket anyway. If there are any extensions off it then only phone services will operate unless you get an eircom engineer or local electrician who (for a fee) will change them all for you.

As for service provider there are other ISP's that may quote a lower price for fibre than Vodafone (although the discount for existing mobile customers is a nice incentive).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Anyone have any idea when Sky are launching their fibre internet? A man from Sky told me that they are lauching in December but I'm not sure if he just said that to get me off the phone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Newcastlewest

Hi all,
    I am looking fro a broadband around Co Limerick Newcastle west area , I had three for a while but their service is not reliable around here.
    I have a sky TV but I don't have phone line, do I need phone line for sky broadband and are they reliable Newcastle west area?
    thank you all for help

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Hey, I'm moving to an apartment in Hampton lodge in drumcondra soon. I believe smart telecom wired the building. Has anyone got any experience with the quality of service? Do I have any other options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Saw a tech atvonevif the new BB boxes and stopped for a chat,he said that he was making it live as I spoke to him band I should have it in the next few weeks.
    Happy days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircoms efibre map with rough dates
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Then have a look at this map http://irelandoffline.org/map/ to see what is in your area or ID which exchange you are probably on , I don't know if the VDSL cabinet locations are as up to date as https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

And remember the closer you are to a cabinet the closer you will get to the "Up to" speed. Further away you might as well be on ADSL2 and at about 4Km ADSL is all you'll get because physics, in some cases you may be lucky to get 1Mb and end up using a dongle

A reminder that UPC are offering 50MB/Unlimited for €30
    And possibly €7 less if you can survive on a 30GB cap
    €27 for existing customers via cancellation ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063005
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPCBasicsRangeLaunch.pdf

Eircoms efibre map with rough dates
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Then have a look at this map http://irelandoffline.org/map/ to see what is in your area or ID which exchange you are probably on , I don't know if the VDSL cabinet locations are as up to date as https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

And remember the closer you are to a cabinet the closer you will get to the "Up to" speed. Further away you might as well be on ADSL2 and at about 4Km ADSL is all you'll get because physics, in some cases you may be lucky to get 1Mb and end up using a dongle

A reminder that UPC are offering 50MB/Unlimited for €30
    And possibly €7 less if you can survive on a 30GB cap
    €27 for existing customers via cancellation ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063005
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPCBasicsRangeLaunch.pdf

Would not go by those maps at all, Castlebar is supposed to be fully operational with Fibre and I live in the middle of the town centre and still cannot get it, but when I was living at home in the same town I could get it easily and that was a 10 minute walk away from where I live now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Xenji wrote: »
    Would not go by those maps at all, Castlebar is supposed to be fully operational with Fibre and I live in the middle of the town centre and still cannot get it, but when I was living at home in the same town I could get it easily and that was a 10 minute walk away from where I live now.
    It also depends on the copper and it's history

if your neighbours on either side get BB it's no guarantee that you will :(

if all else fails would you consider getting a fon for your neighbours ?
    www.fon.com - main reason is to separate the traffic or other issues

This is interesting, basically says that FTTC is just a stopgap.
    http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/why-not-fttn/

If only we knew a little more about the last mile for esbtelecoms/vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Can anybody tell me if I am correct that the fastest BB I can get from UPC, without going with their "Horizon" bundles is 50Mbps?

Currently have "up to 24Mb" from Eircom and am looking to upgrade. And although I am off an efibre enabled exchange (Belcamp) and efibre is available to homes at the back of me, it is not available yet to my address :confused: and no date from Eircom as to when it might be available.

Not sure that I want to go with the UPC horizon bundles as looking at the UPC FB page and the "Talk to UPC" page on Boards.ie, it seems there are lots of issues with the Horizon box.

Advertisement