Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

I think I know what you mean with VF's CS - I've been using the business freephone (1800 800 020) which get's me straight thru (after pressing 1) because residential would take me 3 minutes of waiting before I could speak to someone. Business sometimes put me thru to someone in residential but mostly they can help directly.

I hope SKY works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

Hey folks,
    am living in Strandhill in Sligo.
    Looking for fixed line connection .. ..

Anyone know if/when UPC will be coming out this far? Their BB is available a couple of miles away and I havent checked with them in a while...

Anybody else worth looking at?

Have tried Wimax but not available at my address...
    Kind regards

Try a crowd from Sligo town called Fastcom, http://www.fastcom.ie/ I'm across the bay and I was told that I could get them. Also, a mate of mine in Strandhill actually got them in. Installation within a few days. Unfortunately they're not fixed line, but you've so few options up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

echo59 wrote: »
    Try a crowd from Sligo town called Fastcom, http://www.fastcom.ie/ I'm across the bay and I was told that I could get them. Also, a mate of mine in Strandhill actually got them in. Installation within a few days. Unfortunately they're not fixed line, but you've so few options up here.

As I posted earlier,

Try uswitch.ie and put in you location. Gives all the providers in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

airuser wrote: »
    As I posted earlier,

Try uswitch.ie and put in you location. Gives all the providers in your area

Fastcom.ie aren't listed on uswitch.ie, for whatever reason. I didn't hear about them for quite a while, until a workmate told me about them and he's very happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Can anyone recommend me a fast broadband for under €40? Living in Kildare on the Wicklow border about 5 or 6 miles south of Kilcullen and about 4 miles from Dunlavin. Preferably with an "unlimited" or very high usage limit.

UPC, SKY or any of those big providers don't have coverage out here. A neighbour has Meteor mobile broadband and they say it works very well. However, they only use it for browsing and Youtube where as I'd probably be using it to download the occasional game and for online gaming. For the life of me I can't get them to tell me the download speed either.

Our current ISP give 1MB download speed according to online testers but in practice when actually downloading files it nevers goes above 120kb/s so really anything would be an improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Hi all, can anyone recommend a broadband provider with phone and tv ideally in the celbridge road area in Maynooth. Tried UPC but the only offer tv in that area. Also tried calling eircom but they only answer phones Monday to Friday. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Been looking into home broadband with Vodafone. Mobile broadband years but gone very bad lately.
    Iv been told I can only get 6mbps speed in the house. My neighbour has the same package and Iv tested his and he is getting 6mbps.
    Is this good enough for netflix and Apple TV etc?
    I'm in Craughwell co Galway so no hope yet of 70mb speed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Been looking into home broadband with Vodafone. Mobile broadband years but gone very bad lately.
    Iv been told I can only get 6mbps speed in the house. My neighbour has the same package and Iv tested his and he is getting 6mbps.
    Is this good enough for netflix and Apple TV etc?
    I'm in Craughwell co Galway so no hope yet of 70mb speed :(

From what I have been hearing if you can get a steady and constant 2mg that will do you for what you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Pure Telecom Broadband

I have received several calls from Pure Telecom and have been thinking about switching from Eircom because I would save about €30 – 40 on my two-month bill. However there seems to be quite a lot of bad reviews for Pure and not that many good ones. What are people’s recent experiences with this company, over the last year or two? Being without a reasonable quality broadband service for 12 months is not something that I would be happy with.

On the plus side, if Pure Telecom can be believed I would gain from:

A reduction in my bill.
    Access to a dedicated customer service team.
    The same broadband service as they are using Eircom lines and equipment so there is no issue with contention ratio.

Negative aspects may include:

Being tied to a 12 month contract.
    The promised customer service not being delivered and my broadband service being down or of low quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Straignt

I have just been enabled for fibre on an eircom line, finally!
    Which company should I go with? Im living in the Corbally area in Limerick City. Im currently with Magnet and have no issues with them. I would be interested in getting eVision with Eircom also, if it's cheaper than sky.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Im looking at Eircoms website and it looks like you can only get up to 50mb if you get the tv bundle?

EDIT: Im a bit worried looking through the broadband forum as theres a lot of negativity towards Magnet and "Trottelling". I have had few problems with Magnet and they have always been helpful about mending them. But these remarks against them are a bit of a turn off.

Could someone please help me out here, im trying to decide between Magnet and Eircom.
    I was looking at the Netflix ISP Speed Index and Magnet are ranked as the fastest.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Straignt wrote: »
    I have just been enabled for fibre on an eircom line, finally!
    Which company should I go with? Im living in the Corbally area in Limerick City. Im currently with Magnet and have no issues with them. I would be interested in getting eVision with Eircom also, if it's cheaper than sky.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Im looking at Eircoms website and it looks like you can only get up to 50mb if you get the tv bundle?

EDIT: Im a bit worried looking through the broadband forum as theres a lot of negativity towards Magnet and "Trottelling". I have had few problems with Magnet and they have always been helpful about mending them. But these remarks against them are a bit of a turn off.
    Straignt wrote: »
    Could someone please help me out here, im trying to decide between Magnet and Eircom.
    I was looking at the Netflix ISP Speed Index and Magnet are ranked as the fastest.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/ireland

Im probably not the best person to help you, but I noticed you unfortunately haven't got a reply yet!

Im with Magnet for standard broadband also and find them fine.
    Ive been with eircom in the past and had issues but since im not fibre enabled yet I cant help you out in that respect.
    As far as I know you can get 70mb with evision but your line may not support it.
    Magnet was not "Trottelling" they just had some issues as far as I know.

Again sorry im probably not the best person for advice here. Maybe someone else can help you decide which is better! :)

Thanks I reckon ill go with Eircom it seems less risky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Hi,

Anyone got a good option for the Kill to Straffan road area in Kildare? Right by the blue door's if anyone knows that landmark?

I need a decent connection....

Thanks!
    Merv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

mervifwdc wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone got a good option for the Kill to Straffan road area in Kildare? Right by the blue door's if anyone knows that landmark?

I need a decent connection....

Thanks!
    Merv.

Hi Merv

Digiweb Metro is available in the area. It is a fixed wireless service offering speeds up to 30Mb down 1Mb up (Metro Express) with phone service. The base station is located not too far from you on the M7 between Johnstown and Sallins. I have it in Naas and generally connection speeds are fairly constant in the 26-29Mb range. Installation is free and you're tied to at least a 12 month contract. Please see http://www.digiweb.ie or call 1800 285828 for more details.

As far as I know fibre is not available there and may not be for some time if Eircom's map is anything to go by.

Regards

My brother is wondering if there's any options where he is. It doesn't look good and he only has a 3G service from 3 at the moment.

He's near the Castleblayney-Keady road in Monaghan so he's very near the NI border. Eircom don't go out that far. Are there any wireless ISPs in the area or is he stuck with 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi,

I'm currently using 3Broadband Pro but downgrading the package to minimum for the last 6 months. I need consistent broadband, particularly for my VOIP and CCTV applications (I run Yawcam and 2 android phones with Securet; I'd prefer to run IP webcams with static IP).

I've found 3 pretty alright but I want more and I want a good fixed line offering. Eircom say fibre is coming to Mountmellick this June. Hopefully UPC too!

Any fixed line advice appreciated. I can't do outside alterations due to leasing a house.

Thank you.

Anyone familiar with Yourtel100?

Got a cold call from them today, offering to reduce my telephone calls bill.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

solas111 wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with Yourtel100?

Got a cold call from them today, offering to reduce my telephone calls bill.

They are a phone service supplier. They do not supply broadband. You could try asking in Nets and Comms?

They're registered with Comreg any way. http://www.askcomreg.ie/erau/yourtel_ltd.0.0.1161.details.LE.asp

Never heard of them.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mr. G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am in Sligo and was on the Sky BB trial for a tenner a month which elapsed at the end of November, so it's now €40 a month.. and now worth it IMO. Service is patchy and only getting about 4MB down.

Now I'm willing to stay with Sky for TV, but am pricing around various BB providers.

UPC seem the best bet at the moment - the Fibre Power 120mb seems great value although considering the Fibre Power 200Mb alternatively.

4yzLN6.png

I'm sure I can find opinions if I search but thought I'd pop this here initially and try and get feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Basq wrote: »
    Am in Sligo and was on the Sky BB trial for a tenner a month which elapsed at the end of November, so it's now €40 a month.. and now worth it IMO. Service is patchy and only getting about 4MB down.

Now I'm willing to stay with Sky for TV, but am pricing around various BB providers.

UPC seem the best bet at the moment - the Fibre Power 120mb seems great value although considering the Fibre Power 200Mb alternatively.

4yzLN6.png

I'm sure I can find opinions if I search but thought I'd pop this here initially and try and get feedback.

Hi

Have you checked to see if UPC fibre broadband is available where you live? If it is then that's the way to go. If not maybe fibre may be available. You'll know by entering your phone number on the eircom website as a guide. Then there is also fixed wireless, which generally is fairly reliable. Check your address in this website to see.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thanks for the reply cunnijo.

Yeah, Ireland Offline has a VDSL Exchange indicated practically behind us. And both the Eircom website and UPC website indicate Fibre is available for us.

Eircom:
    6P3jDe.png

UPC:
    5dFaFq.png

My brother down the road has UPC Fibre BB with Horizon also so I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue but just wanted to aware of any particularly negative feedback before ordering.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have 4Mb then have a look at UPC home basics

IF YOU NEED TO USE A PHONE/LANDLINE

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/
    Fibre 50 Chat
    €25 a month - Offer applies to new customers Price after 6 months €37

50Mb / 5 Mb Unlimited

Home Phone with Freetime World

FREE off peak calls to local and national destinations and 400 minutes of calls to selected international landline destinations

can you still get the DID voucher too ?

If you are 100% sure you won't go over 30GB a month then drag up the pdf on their site that offers a €7 reduction for capped BB
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UpdatedRelease.pdf

The offer of 30GB cap on 120Mb/s bb ??
    that's 240Gb and you'd download it in 2,000 seconds = 34 minutes. :eek:

Better off on the 50Mb unlimited package

eFibre offers better upload speeds than 5Mb , but only if you have a good line and are close to the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

Anyone recommend good quality & high speed broadband in Dublin Road area (near Boyne Valley hotel entrance)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Basq wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply cunnijo.

Yeah, Ireland Offline has a VDSL Exchange indicated practically behind us. And both the Eircom website and UPC website indicate Fibre is available for us.

Eircom:
    6P3jDe.png

UPC:
    5dFaFq.png

My brother down the road has UPC Fibre BB with Horizon also so I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue but just wanted to aware of any particularly negative feedback before ordering.

Never knew Sligo had been cabled by UPC:o. Definitely go for the bb from them at least. Thats the best in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Anyone got fibre broadband through beggars bush? I'm pretty sure I'm on that exchange and it is live according to coverage map on Eircom website but just off the phone now and they tell me March?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m in Rush in North county Dublin. With Sky at the moment but contract is up next week.

No UPC available to me but I am now in fibre enabled area and looking for recommendations. I`m going to be bundling with a phone package and I would need it to include free calls to the UK.

Vodafone seems the only option for this but have been advised against using them by friends.

Are there any other options? Looked at Eircoms website and can't find anything about unlimited free calls as a bundle option?

Any opinions on the above or Fibre providers in my area would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently using 3Broadband Pro but downgrading the package to minimum for the last 6 months. I need consistent broadband, particularly for my VOIP and CCTV applications (I run Yawcam and 2 android phones with Securet; I'd prefer to run IP webcams with static IP).

I've found 3 pretty alright but I want more and I want a good fixed line offering. Eircom say fibre is coming to Mountmellick this June. Hopefully UPC too!

Any fixed line advice appreciated. I can't do outside alterations due to leasing a house.

Thank you.

Well, I tested a meteor sim I had and found the signal beyond crystal clear so I took a punt on eMobile's 10GB per month for €10 for the first 6 and €20pm for the last 6 months. Used that monthly saving to invest in a futureproofed 4G router, the TP-Link MR3420. Hooked it up to the free e3131 and it is all sweet sweet sweet. Except for XP SP3 refusing to recognise the e3131, a corrupted registry issue. But irrelevant with the router dishing out the wifi.

Fantastic compared to my longterm Three experience to be honest. And free access to Wifihub also. Excellent.

ps yes I know that midband is not broadband. Still waiting for fibre in Mountmellick and then I can 'work in the world of men' :pac:

Advertisement