Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Just a quick question.

The Eircom website has a checker where you put in your phone number and it tells you if you can get broadband.

Is there anywhere I can enter my number to see what the max speed on my telephone line is ?

They should do that as well.. They usually can tell you online whether your line can support fibre speed of up to 70mbps or standard up to 24mbps. Phone them and they'll give you a closer estimate, but the estimate all depends on certain factors which they'll explain such as; distance from your house to the nearest telephone exchange. Age of the line, users online at one time and so on

I'm with imagine broadband in a very rural area of south Cavan and I'm looking to change providers due to congestion issues. The options open to us are: return to eircom who offer their 7meg congested package which we left before due to it being too slow (we're over 3km from the exchange), ripplecom, or a local company called Arden broadband.

We don't need huge speeds 2-3 meg would be fine, but I want it to be reliable in the evenings. Any ideas on what would be best for us. In relation to Arden is there anyone here with them?

If eircoms DSL was dropping in the evenings, you should ask them to lower your maximum speed by a meg or two. DSL problems often occur when the line is being worked too hard and your far from the exchange.. If you go through your situation with each company they'll be able to help you out, and if they're offering definite good speed and reliable no drop out DSL then tell them to let you have at it for a month or two before signing into any contracts! Best way to do it if you ask me. But if congestion is an issue, ask eircom for non congested broadband, as far as I know they're one of the few companies that will offer it to you.. But if you can get it, try Sky broadband, they're fantastic, I personally would recommend them (and have) to anyone looking for a change in provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭brady12

Been with ripplecom for last three years.. For maybe last three weeks speeds between half 8/9 to 11 drop to ridiculous bad levels.. Never happened before.. On phone with then is pointless customer service is terrible . Don't even have courtesy ring me back. I'm living in North Clare. Any viable alternatives?

brady12 wrote: »
    Been with ripplecom for last three years.. For maybe last three weeks speeds between half 8/9 to 11 drop to ridiculous bad levels.. Never happened before.. On phone with then is pointless customer service is terrible . Don't even have courtesy ring me back. I'm living in North Clare. Any viable alternatives?

You should try uswitch.ie it's how I pick my broadband!

And in fairness they get a lot of calls a day, it's hard to phone everyone back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

I'm living in west limerick and I have mobile internet with o2, i'm currently getting around 4.90mbps and I 'm thinking of changing providers.

I have a wire going to an eircom pole so I can connect that way, what type of speeds can I get by connecting with hard wire and can anyone recommend a provider.

I got a new Huawei c5330 router and it sent wifi all over the house for the first day then stopped, now only in kitchen, is this signal related problem?

• Advertisement

I'm living in west limerick and I have mobile internet with o2, i'm currently getting around 4.90mbps and I 'm thinking of changing providers.

I have a wire going to an eircom pole so I can connect that way, what type of speeds can I get by connecting with hard wire and can anyone recommend a provider.

I got a new Huawei c5330 router and it sent wifi all over the house for the first day then stopped, now only in kitchen, is this signal related problem?

Could be an equipment fault, or the routers placement. Sometimes they don't work as they used to you should try if you can moving it

And speeds can vary, they can be up to 24mbps without fibre or if you can get fibre up to 150

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And speeds can vary, they can be up to 24mbps without fibre or if you can get fibre up to 150
    Or it could be 1Mb :(

check the maps listed in the thread to see how close your nearest exchange is / nearest cabinet and if it's upgraded yet.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map - zoom in on the Fibre Broadband Network or look up the map on www.irelandoffline.org - it should show you if your local exchange has vdsl / 24 mb adsl / 8 mb adsl / nothing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

brady12 wrote: »

Same here. I finally gave up on them and Eircom are due to fit a new landline here tomorrow.

Someone in the tv business told me that Lightnet are providing a relaible service these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jurrrr

Hopefully I'll be able to get some advice here. I have an eircom package at the moment for broadband and phone. I want to get rid of the phone line and eircom full stop. The service I have been receiving lately is awful.

Any recommendations on where to go. I want fast, unlimited broadband. reliable too! I live it Dublin 14 area if that helps.

People have been saying UPC are the best at the moment but I've heard horror stories too. I guess it's just luck of the draw?

If I did go with UPC what package would be the best. As I say, I don't need a land line anymore so talk and net bundles are not essential really.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

http://totalwireless.ie

Anybody hear anything about this?

• Advertisement

Same job as imagine I'd say. Could be good but could be crap too.

Ah here, charging for installation plus a wireless router.. Bollox.

Ah here, charging for installation plus a wireless router.. Bollox.

Yup said the same myself

Yup said the same myself

Plus the fact I'd have to be a company to get any decent speeds... I'd rather pay to have a phone line installed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Don't all companies charge for installation?

I don't think sky do when you get a good offer.
    It's charging for the router is not good

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭noelma

Lots of information about downloads, but I am interested in the best upload speeds available? I do a lot of on line backup and other transmissions, and I find my current provider - Vodafone - very poor.
    Any ideas?

I don't think sky do when you get a good offer.
    It's charging for the router is not good

Well although Eircom dole them out like confetti, in theory the routers supplied 'free' still belong to Eircom. Whereas as far as I know the companies that charge for them are actually selling them, usually at a price lower than could be bought in the shops.

I guess some customers prefer to source their own too, if they have a special requirement like an Apple one, for example.

Been with sky, eircom, vodafone and imagine and only imagine charged. They also only charged for set up.. Which was connecting me to their network. 100 euro to add me to their network... Needless to say I didn't pay for that.

Well although Eircom dole them out like confetti, in theory the routers supplied 'free' still belong to Eircom. Whereas as far as I know the companies that charge for them are actually selling them, usually at a price lower than could be bought in the shops.

I guess some customers prefer to source their own too, if they have a special requirement like an Apple one, for example.

Eircom also knock 30 quid off your first bill if you don't look for one of theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I have them for over a year and couldn't recommend them highly enough. I work at home part time and so I need reliable, decent internet which was impossible to get where I live.
    No hassle and being able to watch Netflix keeps everyone in the house happy, even if we are watching in different rooms :-).

I also got VoIP phone from a company called Blueface, E10 pm with 5 hours free calls to landlines anywhere almost anywhere.

Eircom also knock 30 quid off your first bill if you don't look for one of theirs.

So they are charging for the router then. I think most ops do, and most also charge for installation. Which is fair enough really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Well, can anyone tell me the best value 'stand alone' broadband available right now! not interested in bundle or phone package.... If this helps I would be more than happy with 40-60G per month!
    Thank You in advance... I've seen lots available for between 35€ and 50€ can that be beaten?

ardle1 wrote: »
    Well, can anyone tell me the best value 'stand alone' broadband available right now! not interested in bundle or phone package.... If this helps I would be more than happy with 40-60G per month!
    Thank You in advance... I've seen lots available for between 35€ and 50€ can that be beaten?

If you don't mind ****e speeds imagine WiMAX is 23 euro.. 19 for internet the a hub rental of 3.99..

Try uswitch.ie they're what I choose my provider with!

So they are charging for the router then. I think most ops do, and most also charge for installation. Which is fair enough really.

No not really.. It's free, but they'll give you a bill discount if you keep your own.. If they were charging you, you'd have to pay upfront when you order

Only problem is most routers nowadays can't be configured to run on a different network.. Without bridging it, or in some cases using netgear.. Sky Hubs can't be configured full stop for example

No not really.. It's free, but they'll give you a bill discount if you keep your own.. If they were charging you, you'd have to pay upfront when you order

Only problem is most routers nowadays can't be configured to run on a different network.. Without bridging it, or in some cases using netgear.. Sky Hubs can't be configured full stop for example

Well if a company charges for a router, i.e. the customer buys it and it's theirs, then that router should not be crippled or tied to one network.

That's only fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

Can anyone tell me what speed I would be likely to get living about 4-5 Km from an exchange with 8Mb?

According to Ireland Offline the Max Speed at the exchange is 8Mb and it is LLU 'n' (whatever that last bit means).

Needless to say, as it's rural it's not in the VDSL program.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ColinM9991

I'm looking for Broadband in the Cork area that can offer business packages with Upload Speeds of 100Mbit (10MByte).

Any ideas? UPC Business Package is the exact same as the Home package; only difference it says on the site is that there's a static IP (Have an external static already) and there's up to 4 lines (Not needed).

Download speed doesn't matter, Upload speed is the most important, I'm avoiding eircom like the plague too because we all know what they're like. If you thought their home broadband was terrible, you have yet to see their business broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ColinM9991 wrote: »
    I'm looking for Broadband in the Cork area that can offer business packages with Upload Speeds of 100Mbit (10MByte).

Well there's essentially no such thing in the standard space VDSL cable etc...
    You'll need to approach someone like e-net or a proper telco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Can anyone tell me what speed I would be likely to get living about 4-5 Km from an exchange with 8Mb?

According to Ireland Offline the Max Speed at the exchange is 8Mb and it is LLU 'n' (whatever that last bit means).

Needless to say, as it's rural it's not in the VDSL program.

The 'N' mean No it's not an LLU exchange...also there's a big difference between 4 and 5.

Probably 1000 - 2000 kbps

Advertisement