Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JFK2012

Hey all,

just moved into an apartment in Oranmore, Co Galway. Looking for the best broadband/TV package ? In between Eircom or Sky ? Internet speed/connection the most important for me.
    Sky is cheaper but is sky broadband a little dodgy ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 molybdenum

Moving in to a place in Maynooth in a few weeks. I'm looking for broadband only, no TV package or phone deals. Don't want a line rental if possible and only want it for ten months... Is there any provider that would be able to accommodate me, or am I asking for too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Living in the Rathfarnham area. The house was recently purchased and we haven't bothered with broadband up till now. There are outlets for UPC in the house. We currently have a basic Sky package for TV.

We don't watch a whole lot of TV outside of domestic channels but use some of the kids channels but not a whole lot.

I have thought about just having broadband and getting an android box and Netflix for watching TV. A phone line isn't necessary but it would be handy.

What packages would you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Living in the Rathfarnham area. The house was recently purchased and we haven't bothered with broadband up till now. There are outlets for UPC in the house. We currently have a basic Sky package for TV.

We don't watch a whole lot of TV outside of domestic channels but use some of the kids channels but not a whole lot.

I have thought about just having broadband and getting an android box and Netflix for watching TV. A phone line isn't necessary but it would be handy.

What packages would you suggest?

Hi

As UPC is available to you then that is the way to go. They offer broadband (up to 240MB) & phone packages without the need for a land line and the added costs that go with it (line rental)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

moved into a place and only going to be here for 9 months. Magnet fatpipe 24 seems like the cheapest option as its month to month. wondering does anyone have it, is it decent or if there is any other options?

located in limerick city, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its normal ADSL2+, distance based, within 1.5-2KM of the exchange itll be decent, over that its what I'd call "light use".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for broadband in Dunlavin, Wicklow. What kind of speeds are people getting, whats the latency like? etc

Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭dennyk

What's the best way to find out what fixed line broadband options and speeds are available at a rental property? The agents/landlords never seem to know, and there doesn't seem to be any reliable way to find out from Eir without a phone number. Would it be reasonable to expect that you could at least get ~5Mbit or so ADSL service if you are within a few km of the closest ADSL exchange (assuming you have or are willing to install a phone line and the landlord is OK with it, etc.), or are there likely to be a lot of spots that can't get ADSL services at all even with an exchange nearby?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It depends.

If there is a phone socket stick a phone in it.
    If you have dial tone then dial 199000, this will speak back the number. if the phone line isn't active it will speak the soft dial tone number.

Have a look at the eir maps and http://irelandoffline.org/map/ to see which exchange area you are in and then the nearest cabinet in the area and what speeds are available.

use the all All Ireland tab on http://irelandoffline.org/map/ to see top speeds available . Remember these are "up to" speeds , not all cabs are enabled and some are full, line quality is an issue especially on longer lines.
    LLU areas are where you can be connected back to non-eir equipment in an exchange so you'd likely need to be near the exchange for these.

If you live near a boundary between two exchanges then you could be connected to either but you'd be far from both so YMMV.

Other talkback numbers
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/guide_to_phone_and_broadband_contracts_and_switching.232.LE.asp
    If you are unsure who might be your current provider for various types of call, you can dial the following numbers from the phone in question to hear a recorded message that identifies them:
    • 19822 for local calls,
    • 19801 for national calls, and
    • 19800 for international calls. - See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/guide_to_phone_and_broadband_contracts_and_switching.232.LE.asp#sthash.nwXMbsNa.dpuf

Thanks, Midnight, that's some useful info. :) Guess I'll pick up a cheap phone to bring along to viewings so I can test a line if one is installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

Had a terrible time with internet in the past so I thought I'd ask around this time. Living just outside Navan in Meath and wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions of a solid provider?

This image might show you why I'm looking for further info...

4747299064.png

EDIT: I'm checking Switcher.ie and stuff and I'm a bit confused (name is apt) about it all. For the record, we're also going to need to sort out Sky in the house I reckon so we might be able to get a package relating to TV or something as well. I just have no idea what's available and what's the best. I don't want any more of the shocking speeds above you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

Had a terrible time with internet in the past so I thought I'd ask around this time. Living just outside Navan in Meath and wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions of a solid provider?

EDIT: I'm checking Switcher.ie and stuff and I'm a bit confused (name is apt) about it all. For the record, we're also going to need to sort out Sky in the house I reckon so we might be able to get a package relating to TV or something as well. I just have no idea what's available and what's the best. I don't want any more of the shocking speeds above you know?

I was just about to post an exactly similar post. My Vodafone contract is shortly coming to an end. It has been unreliable at best.

I'm in Balbriggan, and looking at a provider that offer a broadband modem that can transmit to more than a single device at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

4747299064.png

Navan is one of the first 10 towns in Siro's FTTH rollout along with Eir's equivalent. So a lot will depend on your distance from the town.

If this is not an option then there is the option of fixed wireless. Digiweb offer their Metro service in the area with speeds up to 30MB. I have this here in Naas and I am getting very close to the 30MB. Check http://www.digiweb.ie for more details and special offers.

Just a question about Eir's pricing; for, say, a Fibre + TV + phone bundle plan, roughly how much are all of the additional unlisted monthly taxes, charges, fees, etc. going to be in terms of a percentage of the listed monthly price (the actual "after X months" monthly price, that is, not the introductory promo rates)? Just trying to get an idea of what each package will really cost me each month.

cunnijo wrote: »
    Navan is one of the first 10 towns in Siro's FTTH rollout along with Eir's equivalent. So a lot will depend on your distance from the town.

If this is not an option then there is the option of fixed wireless. Digiweb offer their Metro service in the area with speeds up to 30MB. I have this here in Naas and I am getting very close to the 30MB. Check http://www.digiweb.ie for more details and special offers.

Well, just wanted to let you know you were appreciated. Even though the light isn't on the router yet, I hooked the laptop up and internet works. This is what? 6 days after you suggested that? So I'm assuming I signed up about 5 days ago and already have it. And it's a fairly big different from Vodafone too. Cheers mate.

EDIT: I think we went for a lesser package which offered up to 20MB so that's why I get so much less than you.

4747299064.png
    4767094441.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Well, just wanted to let you know you were appreciated. Even though the light isn't on the router yet, I hooked the laptop up and internet works. This is what? 6 days after you suggested that? So I'm assuming I signed up about 5 days ago and already have it. And it's a fairly big different from Vodafone too. Cheers mate.

EDIT: I think we went for a lesser package which offered up to 20MB so that's why I get so much less than you.

4747299064.png
    4767094441.png

Huge difference !! My speed was 1Mb on eircom back in 2009 it went upto 8 max then last year it went to 14 now we got fibre on sky its 25Mb since I'm a distance from the exchange it isn't as fast as id like but its a huge improvement over the slower DSL which had the upload speed of 0.64 useless for sending pictures and videos!

Its great having a connection that's actually usable I wouldn't be able to deal with the speed you were getting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

For anyone around the Glantane/Bweeng/Dromahane/Donoughmore/Mallow area in Cork who are are outside the limited Eircom Broadband network - we installed Nova Broadband about a weeks ago. We had Ripplecom for about 4 years but found the service getting progressively worse. This is currently what we get at off-peak times morning and during the day with the 20mb pack -

4769709529.png

At night we are averaging about 6-10 mb, the lowest I have tested was 3mb at 8 O'Clock one evening but that was the exception.

Apparently I'm not on 20MB package considering I just hit 25MBs download speed :D. I had Digiweb wired in 2006 - 2012 or something and it was terrible. I had Vodafone wireless from 2012 - 2014 and it was mediocre. Bit of lag playing games, wait a while for videos to load. Nothing major but nothing good. I redid Vodafone in moving out to the country which got me that 0.8 DS one. I've never actually had "good" internet before, so it's pretty crazy being able to watch a youtube video without it stopping. Playing games online is going to be nuts now haha.

Here's a weird one. Maybe these are normal but I just haven't seen them before. My router is "FRITZ". First, what a terrible name, but anyways, we were told we had to contact Digiweb to get them to activate the internet. The internet light wasn't on on the router either. Just while I was there I decided to synch up my laptop, and then suddenly I had the internet. No calling up the provider, no light on the router for internet. Wonder why this is....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 n.lane

Anyone on the Purely Broadband €36 per month contract from Pure? Thinking of signing up but don't know of anyone else who is with them.

4747299064.png
    4767094441.png

So after this message, I loaded a video today which was loading slow as ****. I thought maybe something had happened like I had hit a cap or something (dont even know if I have any) so I checked again...

4812396276.png

Lmao guess the video was just awful. What a difference from Vodafone eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I live 3 miles outside Carlow in Laois and want to find out what broadband provider people would recommend . I cannot get phone line broadband and have three at the moment but want to get unlimited at around the same price or cheaper. I probable would need to get wireless. Any suggestions?

Is Imagine Wimax any good and what is the speed and download limit like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Posted on thread earlier about getting broadband in the ashmount estate in silversprings

I have nova broadband it is ok for Netflix but not hd but is not good enough for ps4 online

This is their best package at 20mb

Is this the best internet I can get having no wired connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I have wimax, never had a problem with it before it was taken over, its a nightmare now, billing issues constantly, the pr and the service dropping out regularly, usually when you need it most. I am spending around 43 euro a month at the moment with them but am tired of the issues. Who else can i subscribe to for that sort of money or less ? I am located in Dundrum south Dublin.

I have wimax, never had a problem with it before it was taken over, its a nightmare now, billing issues constantly, the price goes up constantly and the service dropping out regularly, usually when you need it most. I am spending around 43 euro a month at the moment with them but am tired of the issues. Who else can i subscribe to for that sort of money or less ? I am located in Dundrum south Dublin.

gunny123 wrote: »
    I have wimax, never had a problem with it before it was taken over, its a nightmare now, billing issues constantly, the price goes up constantly and the service dropping out regularly, usually when you need it most. I am spending around 43 euro a month at the moment with them but am tired of the issues. Who else can i subscribe to for that sort of money or less ? I am located in Dundrum south Dublin.

Is that with Imagine?

Is that with Imagine?

It is yes. Anyone better value for the same money ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Anyone know what kind of Ping speeds you might achieve off arden broadband in west cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone is using Digital Forge Broadband. They say they offer fiber broadband in the West Cork area? Im in Timoleague area

I am using Rapid Broadband but it's satelite & not very reliable

Any info appreciated

juansheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Hi I'm living on the edge of Ballincollig, at the end of The model Farm Road, Cork. The address would be Poulavone Roundabout, Carrigrohane.
    I need to get broadband into my house.

It seems Virgin Media is not available here.
    A rep here told me that there is no plan to roll it out in my area :(
    Even though the local Virgin office/shop in city informed me it would be coming very early in new year.:confused:
    (by the way its corks second fastest growing suburb!!)

Magnet have said they wouldn't install it as they wouldn't be able to offer more than 2mbs.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    any suggestions very grateful

Advertisement