Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

what wireless broadband wi-max providers are in co limerick, please do not mention celtic broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 doodahump

Very interested in hearing about your experience a few months on - have had Nova for years and initially they were amazing but in recent years I continuously run into issues at certain times. Sometimes connection tests at 18mbps, sometimes 10 and other times as low as .1 or nothing at all - it is not purely usage related. I have had to get a backup ie airwave as I need remote access for work so now I have 2 supplies . Both are wisp and while airwave offer slower all round speeds the connection does appear to be slightly more stable though it also suffers from slowdowns from time to time. Nova are always very nice about it, test access point all fine etc. they have more or less said if I want to leave then off with me :-( - guess they know beggars cant be choosy. but bottom line here is while wisp providers are generally better than digital / very slow wired for rural customers , they will never be able to sustain a quality of service that high speed cable/fibre networks can - afraid its just one of the downsides of living in certain areas. SIRO type solutions etc. may eventually come our way(ala rural electrification) but don't hold your breath.
    irishfeen wrote: »
    For anyone around the Glantane/Bweeng/Dromahane/Donoughmore/Mallow area in Cork who are are outside the limited Eircom Broadband network - we installed Nova Broadband about a weeks ago. We had Ripplecom for about 4 years but found the service getting progressively worse. This is currently what we get at off-peak times morning and during the day with the 20mb pack -

At night we are averaging about 6-10 mb, the lowest I have tested was 3mb at 8 O'Clock one evening but that was the exception.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi all,
    I may be moving to rural Cavan in the near future, between Ballinagh and Arva. Does anyone know what if any the chances of getting broadband of any form in that area might be? Not looking forward to a life offline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check the irelandoffline map. If you're between towns/villages the odds are not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Guybrush Threepwood

Hi,

I'm living in bray and have been with UPC for the last few years. I've always been very happy with my service and never experienced problems.

Since Virgin Media took over I've found my speeds dropping, that at peak times it's a nightmare to use any streaming services, and generally haven't been happy with the quality of my service.

Would anyone have any other suggestions for a strong service in the area, I'm considering Sky (as our TV is with them) but I'm not sure if they're any good?

We're heavy internet users in the house, and often there are 2 PS4's playing online at the same time, or 1 console, and apple TV streaming, so we need a service that can comfortably support our use.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi guys

I live about 4 miles from letterkenny in an area called race end beside ballyare.

As far as I know I do not get wired broadband. I have been with three on the 60 GB package for a few years, but I would really like to explore other internet options if possible. I can begrudgingly live with the poor speeds and high cost but a 75 euro bill for slightly over allowance is the last straw - really disgusted with the company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I live about 4 miles from letterkenny in an area called race end beside ballyare.

As far as I know I do not get wired broadband. I have been with three on the 60 GB package for a few years, but I would really like to explore other internet options if possible. I can begrudgingly live with the poor speeds and high cost but a 75 euro bill for slightly over allowance is the last straw - really disgusted with the company

Alternatives are available to you in the form of fixed wireless, where a small radio unit is placed on your roof which in turn feeds to a modem inside the house. As you mention you are not far from Letterkenny Digiweb offer their Metro service there with speeds up to 30MB with a 350GB data allowance for €49.99 per month (Metro Freedom) See http://www.digiweb.ie for further information.

Also Letterkenny is one of the first 10 areas in the SIRO FTTH (Fibre to the home) rollout as well as Eir's (initial 19 towns) FTTH offering. So maybe one of those may reach you. If not Digiweb's offering above is a good alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thanks a million for that, much appreciated. I will look into the options you have mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lkasprzak

Hi,

I currently have Eir Fibre broadband and paying about 52e/month. I just got offer to switch to Fibre Vodafone broadband for 40e/month. I live in Tallaght. Question: is it worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Fibre BB- Vodafone Vs Pure Telecom Vs Digiweb

Contract with Sky broadband is up,currently paying €40 per month. Asked about fibre,best they could offer was €55 per month so decided to look around.Vodafone,Pure Telecom and Digiweb seem to be the best value. I know nothing about Pure Telecom(most expensive) and only heard about Digiweb(cheapest) but just wondering what peoples opinions on each provider is. What would you go for?I'm in Dundalk area and 2 providers said I can only get between 25 and 40 meg fibre.I was getting around 14meg with Sky but that was just ADSL,so thought I might get much faster fibre but thats what they said anyway. Any advice appreciated...

• Advertisement

Howdy folks. I live in Drogheda. I've been living with eFibre for a while now and it's been grand. But im moving at the end of the month to a place with no landline, which naturally limits my options. Was wondering if anyone here could comment on whether it's worth getting a landline installed?

The only real option i can see without one is Magnet (a service called 'fatpipe'?). But im not sure if id notice the drop in speed or not, having used efibre for so long.

Anyone had ot get a line installed and have any idea on it's cost?

Howdy folks. I live in Drogheda. I've been living with eFibre for a while now and it's been grand. But im moving at the end of the month to a place with no landline, which naturally limits my options. Was wondering if anyone here could comment on whether it's worth getting a landline installed?

The only real option i can see without one is Magnet (a service called 'fatpipe'?). But im not sure if id notice the drop in speed or not, having used efibre for so long.

Anyone had ot get a line installed and have any idea on it's cost?

A lot will depend as to where you are moving to. If fixed wireless is available then this is a good alternative (there is no line rental) Check to see if Digiwebs Metro or Imagines LTE is available. Both will offer full phone service with speeds up to 30mb (Metro) and 70mb (Imagine)

If however you are going to be within 3-4km of a town with a fibre enabled exchange then firstly see if you can transfer your current service to the new address.

As for Magnet it is €57.99 for the fast pipe service for either fibre or DSL. Details available here http://www.magnet.ie/

For the fixed wireless options check http://www.digiweb.ie or http://www.imagine.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

cunnijo wrote: »
    If however you are going to be within 3-4km 1.5km of a town with a fibre enabled exchange then firstly see if you can transfer your current service to the new address.
    Fixed that for you.:rolleyes:

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.:rolleyes:

That's good to know. In that case it will also apply to cabinets too.

Howdy folks

Cheers for the info. I was in touch with efibre and asked the silly question (could i get it without a landline) and they said no (I knew that before i asked). But they did say, if i sign up for a phone package, they will fit a landline for free. Then, once installed, I can see if im eligible for their efibre.

If im not, i can say Im not happy with the speed of the line and cancel the phone package. If I am eligible for broadband, then i can just swap over to the efibre set up.

So that seems a bit of a win-win. Either way i get a free land line installed? Can't complain about that.

So that seems a bit of a win-win. Either way i get a free land line installed? Can't complain about that.

You always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

That's good to know. In that case it will also apply to cabinets too.

With cabs the range is 2KM (if they are vectored ... and most are).

ED E wrote: »
    You always do.

Do I? I didn't know that..? How, if not via the method I'm currently using? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My main concern there would be Eir saying they will cancel the package. From experience it is nearly impossible to cancel with them. They make it as awkward as possible and try slap on charges to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My locality will be getting Fibre within the next six months, it's the standard fibre to cabinet being rolled out by Eircom.

Which provider is the best? Do Sky, Vodafone or Eircom have any individual benefits, or should I just go solely by price?

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    My locality will be getting Fibre within the next six months, it's the standard fibre to cabinet being rolled out by Eircom.

Which provider is the best? Do Sky, Vodafone or Eircom have any individual benefits, or should I just go solely by price?

If you need a new line Sky will make you get TV FYI which needs a dish and line of sight.

Eir vs Vodafone used to be price, but both now do TV so that could be something extra to compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Will there be a reconnection fee?

Your 18mo contract offsets the connection fee that the ISP pays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Anyone know of any decent data only SIM deals any longer?
    Tesco had a 1GB/month SIM for €5/month but have discontinued all their data only packages it seems.

Gents, Eir arrived out today to install the landline. I wasn't there but arrived about 10 minutes later

Anyway, by that time the chap was inside the house using a flexible steel wire to try and pull the cable in from outside the house.

However, it wasn't budging. he reckons there's something blocking the way. he left the wire there and I had a go at trying to pull it in too (to the extent of breaking the steel wire he was using, woops).

Anyway, with a shrug and a 'sorry gents, when you fix the blockage book another appointment', he headed off. My issue here is I've no idea what the next step is.

Do any of the guys know who could fix an apparent blockage in a phone line tube/drain? (not sure of actual name). Googled it for a while but can't find any info online at all.

Cheers.

http://www.mrhire.ie/008-3.php

Normally if they're heavily impacted like that(sounds like he made a good attempt at it) you have to dig it up and replace or repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Hey Folks,

You might assist me with my query. I live near James Street, Dublin 8 so I would like to ask which broadband provider is the best? Do Sky, Pure telecom, Vodafone or Eir have any individual benefits, or should I just go solely by price?

I have Magnet E-fibre 26 or 24 mb one at the moment but, it's crap.

I just need a fast and reliable broadband for streaming.

Thanks in advance.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

You might assist me with my query. I live near James Street, Dublin 8 so I would like to ask which broadband provider is the best? Do Sky, Pure telecom, Vodafone or Eir have any individual benefits, or should I just go solely by price?

I have Magnet E-fibre 26 or 24 mb one at the moment but, it's crap.

I just need a fast and reliable broadband for streaming.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Firstly is Virgin Media available to you? If so they have currently some good broadband/phone deals and with their speeds either at 240 or 360MB you cannot go wrong

If however you cannot avail of this then check your phone number on any of the ISP's to see what they can offer or look on websites like www.bonkers.ie for an idea of pricing and what is offered..

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Hi

Firstly is Virgin Media available to you? If so they have currently some good broadband/phone deals and with their speeds either at 240 or 360MB you cannot go wrong

If however you cannot avail of this then check your phone number on any of the ISP's to see what they can offer or look on websites like www.bonkers.ie for an idea of pricing and what is offered..

I used to have UPC. It was okissh to be honest. I live in an apartment and their WIFI signal from one room to other room was dreadful. This was the main reason I ditched UPC for magnet but, magnet's internet is too slow for my liking.

I was thinking to switch over to either Vodafone or Pure telcom but, they seem to be using Eircom lines so not sure about the speed availability.

• Advertisement

09_09_09 wrote: »
    I used to have UPC. It was okissh to be honest. I live in an apartment and their WIFI signal from one room to other room was dreadful. This was the main reason I ditched UPC for magnet but, magnet's internet is too slow for my liking.

I was thinking to switch over to either Vodafone or Pure telcom but, they seem to be using Eircom lines so not sure about the speed availability.

I agree. The wi fi signal from the Virgin Media/UPC modem (TC7200 in particular) was woeful. Is your line eligible for eFibre? If it is then the modem supplied by Eir seems to have decent wi fi coverage. A friend of mine has it and he has good coverage in a 4 bedroomed house. so check your number here

https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

Also note that all ISP's use Eir's network with the exception of Imagine's WiMax, which uses wireless technology

Advertisement