Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

cunnijo wrote: »
    I agree. The wi fi signal from the Virgin Media/UPC modem (TC7200 in particular) was woeful. Is your line eligible for eFibre? If it is then the modem supplied by Eir seems to have decent wi fi coverage. A friend of mine has it and he has good coverage in a 4 bedroomed house. so check your number here

https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

Also note that all ISP's use Eir's network with the exception of Imagine's WiMax, which uses wireless technology

Thanks sir. Unfortunately, Eircom do not have fibre at my address yet. It looks like I will take a shot with Vodafone and hope it won't disappoint me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

09_09_09 wrote: »
    I used to have UPC. It was okissh to be honest. I live in an apartment and their WIFI signal from one room to other room was dreadful. This was the main reason I ditched UPC for magnet but, magnet's internet is too slow for my liking.
    Options for poor wifi

Use a network cable instead
    Turn the router on it's side / end to see if that improves things
    plug a decent access point into the router (don't bother with a wifi extender )
    use homeplugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone use magnets fat pipe service?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Anyone use magnets fat pipe service?

I am on Fatpipe fibre24mb (I live in Dublin 8 area) and I find it too slow for my liking. The only good thing about Magnet is their signal strength is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Anyone have any idea what the options are for internet providers in the Ath Lethan housing estate in Dundalk???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

Hi Merv

Digiweb Metro is available in the area. It is a fixed wireless service offering speeds up to 30Mb down 1Mb up (Metro Express) with phone service. The base station is located not too far from you on the M7 between Johnstown and Sallins. I have it in Naas and generally connection speeds are fairly constant in the 26-29Mb range. Installation is free and you're tied to at least a 12 month contract. Please see http://www.digiweb.ie or call 1800 285828 for more details.

As far as I know fibre is not available there and may not be for some time if Eircom's map is anything to go by.

Regards
    Cunnijo re your old post aboove, is Digiweb still providing service in Naas/Johnstown/Sallins? Cant seem to find anything online about their service in this area.
    KJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Merv

Digiweb Metro is available in the area. It is a fixed wireless service offering speeds up to 30Mb down 1Mb up (Metro Express) with phone service. The base station is located not too far from you on the M7 between Johnstown and Sallins. I have it in Naas and generally connection speeds are fairly constant in the 26-29Mb range. Installation is free and you're tied to at least a 12 month contract. Please see http://www.digiweb.ie or call 1800 285828 for more details.

As far as I know fibre is not available there and may not be for some time if Eircom's map is anything to go by.

Regards
    Cunnijo re your old post aboove, is Digiweb still providing service in Naas/Johnstown/Sallins? Cant seem to find anything online about their service in this area.
    KJ
    Add your reply here. What area are you living in?

Hi Merv

Regards
    KJ

What area are you living in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi Guys, I'm looking to get broadband into an industrial unit we're moving into, it's called Glasnevin Business Park, Ballyboggan Road, Dublin 11

Now I know from talking to the neighbouring unit that faster options are not available (Virgin/Eir Fibre). I also think the place has not had a phone line in quite a while.

I think standard phone broadband (5 down/1 up) should be available there but my question is, (a) how do I check if there is a workable line there and (b) if not, do I have to go with Eir, get them to install a phone line and (c) who provides the cheapest service for this basic broadband?

Speed and not massive effort is of essence, so if Eir will do this for €40 a month that would probably be fine, but I wanted to see if there is a better option I should be looking at, I've had UPC/Virgin cable at home for years so my DSL knowledge is out of date!

Thanks very much in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

What area are you living in?
    Near Johnstown

• Advertisement

Hi KildareJohn

A lot will depend as to which side of Johnstown you are in. There are potentially 2 options now available to you. Digiweb's Metro service is still available. See the following link for more information http://www.digiweb.ie/product/metro-freedom-broadband/#add-talk-world-call-plan. The second option is Imagine LTE and the link for that is http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-broadband-kildare/

Just a point of note Digiweb offer free installation on most of it's Metro packages. As for Imagine I do not know, as it is not available to me whereas Digiweb is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Near Johnstown

There was another poster querying that area recently, OpenEir upgrades are pending there.

ED E wrote: »
    There was another poster querying that area recently, OpenEir upgrades are pending there.

Ed. "Pending" is the word. I think the village has been upgraded but not the surrounding areas. Where I live (Naas) is supposed to be getting FTTH services from OpenEir. To date only a very small number of estates on the outskirts of the town have been done and there doesn't seem to be much activity for the rest of us that live there.

And of course I forgot SIRO. The Naas municipal area is listed for that too in phase 1 and it may include Sallins and Johnstown. As to when it will be rolled out is anyone's guess. The initial 10 towns listed are not all even done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Hi guys, I am looking for a broadband option. I am resided at Ballingcollig, Cork for temporary duration (6 months). So having a contracted solution isn't an option for me. I checked mobile broadband options and they are super expensive. I found magnet.ie 's fibre 100 option for 58 euro / month without contract I think I don't need that fast internet so something slower fits for me also. And it asks for UAN and I don't have any landline or else so I don't know if I will have to pay for it also.

Is this the only option, or am I missing something?

bonjurkes wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am looking for a broadband option. I am resided at Ballingcollig, Cork for temporary duration (6 months). So having a contracted solution isn't an option for me. I checked mobile broadband options and they are super expensive. I found magnet.ie 's fibre 100 option for 58 euro / month without contract I think I don't need that fast internet so something slower fits for me also. And it asks for UAN and I don't have any landline or else so I don't know if I will have to pay for it also.

Is this the only option, or am I missing something?

Your only options for that duration are mobile (low limits) or Magnet Fixed line. There's a €60 install fee than you pay the monthly tariff of €50 odd. There's nothing more budget friendly with fixed line so just go for the up to 100Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm living in Galway city, soon to move to a new place in Knocknacarra area.

My housemate always looked after the broadband/TV bundle but now I'm out on my own, I have to figure it out for myself. I've looked up the Virgin media and Sky sites and I'm bamboozled as to what to go for - there's so many options.

I want fast broadband and run of the mill TV channels. Could anyone recommend a value for money package? I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

Hi all,
    Could someone advise me what is the best service to go for when I want broadband only?
    Thank you and sorry if it has been asked alot before.
    I'm in cork and no problems getting wifi as far as I know, currently with UPC but want to close that as can't afford them with all the sports and that, I'm thinking about maybe free to air and broadband for the phones.

Hi all,
    Could someone advise me what is the best service to go for when I want broadband only?
    Thank you and sorry if it has been asked alot before.
    I'm in cork and no problems getting wifi as far as I know, currently with UPC but want to close that as can't afford them with all the sports and that, I'm thinking about maybe free to air and broadband for the phones.

Vodafone @ Home for €39/pm.

I posted here before, looking for help on broadband advice in general.

Since then, I've had a visit from Eir, and three visits from KN, all of which resulted in the same thing: a blocked duct for the landline, and a 'sorry'. One of the KN visits was also after I had a builder make a small effort with it.

As it is, it looks like my options are to either kango into the floor of the house, possibly dig up the neighbours garden, etc. and install a landline duct fresh, or just give up on the ever-unachievable dream of having a landline, and opt for interwebz that doesn't rely on a landline.

So can anyone advise on what to do if I've no landline?

I used to have Irish Broadband/Imagine at this same address. They clamped a box onto the ariel on the roof. Something 'breeze' i think they called it. I rang Imagine to see if they could just reactivate it (i cancelled it about 2 years ago, but they never came to take it back, like they said they would, so the receiver is still on the roof). However, the chap on the phone said they can't, as they don't deal with that product anymore, and said i can sign up to LTE, which I can't recall the price of, but i think it seemed pricy, and it isn't available til about July anyway.

At the moment, Virgin are pulling up footpaths around the estate (but i presume they're just laying wires or such and not touching the ducts, so they don't benefit me). So i don't think I can use them.

I need internet in a hurry, and I'm at hair-pulling stage messing around with the ducting. I'm in Drogheda, in a housing estate.

I mooched about on Switcher.ie but can't make much sense of it. It just keeps on recommending landline-based options to me, even on a page where it's discussing non-landline options :confused:

Can anyone advise on who offers what?

I posted here before, looking for help on broadband advice in general.

Since then, I've had a visit from Eir, and three visits from KN, all of which resulted in the same thing: a blocked duct for the landline, and a 'sorry'. One of the KN visits was also after I had a builder make a small effort with it.

As it is, it looks like my options are to either kango into the floor of the house, possibly dig up the neighbours garden, etc. and install a landline duct fresh, or just give up on the ever-unachievable dream of having a landline, and opt for interwebz that doesn't rely on a landline.

So can anyone advise on what to do if I've no landline?

I used to have Irish Broadband/Imagine at this same address. They clamped a box onto the ariel on the roof. Something 'breeze' i think they called it. I rang Imagine to see if they could just reactivate it (i cancelled it about 2 years ago, but they never came to take it back, like they said they would, so the receiver is still on the roof). However, the chap on the phone said they can't, as they don't deal with that product anymore, and said i can sign up to LTE, which I can't recall the price of, but i think it seemed pricy, and it isn't available til about July anyway.

At the moment, Virgin are pulling up footpaths around the estate (but i presume they're just laying wires or such and not touching the ducts, so they don't benefit me). So i don't think I can use them.

I need internet in a hurry, and I'm at hair-pulling stage messing around with the ducting. I'm in Drogheda, in a housing estate.

I mooched about on Switcher.ie but can't make much sense of it. It just keeps on recommending landline-based options to me, even on a page where it's discussing non-landline options :confused:

Can anyone advise on who offers what?
    Digiweb offer a fixed wireless service called Metro and is available now. Their highest price is €49.95. Like Imagine they too use an radio unit attached to an aerial. See http://www.digiweb.ie for more.

However Drogheda is is phase 1 of the Siro project and may well be listed in the next 10 towns to be announced soon as part of the their rollout.

• Advertisement

Digiweb offer a fixed wireless service called Metro and is available now. Their highest price is €49.95. Like Imagine they too use an radio unit attached to an aerial. See http://www.digiweb.ie for more.

However Drogheda is is phase 1 of the Siro project and may well be listed in the next 10 towns to be announced soon as part of the their rollout.

What's Siro? Is that something Digiweb are doing, or completely unrelated?

I want a decent internet connection, and would like to have it sooner than later, but if waiting a month will get me something much better, naturally I'd prefer that.

Although LTE seems like it could be pricy (i think it was €60 per month, which isn't terrible, but they charge €150 to install it. Which is probably good value but I'm so used to 'free installations' that I just kinda feel like I don't want to hand over €150 for an install :/ ).

My biggest gripe with LTE is that it 'should' be available in July. Which is already 2 months away, and i'd go mad if i was waiting on it and rang in july and they said 'ah it'll be August, sorry', then August comes and im told it'll be October, etc. etc. :(

EDIT: Cunnijo, thanks for posting that Digiweb link. I'm gonna ring them tomorrow. That Metro just seems the same thing I had before with Imagine. Will do me fine. So long as I can browse Google Maps for a few hours without wanting to slit my wrists looking at pixelated messes, I'll be a happy camper.

Cheers man.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's Siro? Is that something Digiweb are doing, or completely unrelated?

I want a decent internet connection, and would like to have it sooner than later, but if waiting a month will get me something much better, naturally I'd prefer that.

Although LTE seems like it could be pricy (i think it was €60 per month, which isn't terrible, but they charge €150 to install it. Which is probably good value but I'm so used to 'free installations' that I just kinda feel like I don't want to hand over €150 for an install :/ ).

My biggest gripe with LTE is that it 'should' be available in July. Which is already 2 months away, and i'd go mad if i was waiting on it and rang in july and they said 'ah it'll be August, sorry', then August comes and im told it'll be October, etc. etc. :(

EDIT: Cunnijo, thanks for posting that Digiweb link. I'm gonna ring them tomorrow. That Metro just seems the same thing I had before with Imagine. Will do me fine. So long as I can browse Google Maps for a few hours without wanting to slit my wrists looking at pixelated messes, I'll be a happy camper.

Cheers man.
    For reference, SIRO is a joint venture between the ESB and Vodafone to roll out fibre-to-the-home services nationwide.

marno21 wrote: »
    For reference, SIRO is a joint venture between the ESB and Vodafone to roll out fibre-to-the-home services nationwide.

Oh okay. Would that not still be redundant to me, with no landline option, though?

Imagine: Fibre Connect LTE, 30-60Mb consistent. 20GB/Day limit.

Digiweb: Metros always seemed kinda meh, depends on locality and how heavily subscribed it is.

OpenEir: Definitely the strongest service, but you will need to sort the duct out. If the duct is just blocked you may be able to clear it, if its collapsed you need to go from scratch. If this is a home you own its probably worth fixing the duct.

ED E wrote: »
    Imagine: Fibre Connect LTE, 30-60Mb consistent. 20GB/Day limit.

Digiweb: Metros always seemed kinda meh, depends on locality and how heavily subscribed it is.

OpenEir: Definitely the strongest service, but you will need to sort the duct out. If the duct is just blocked you may be able to clear it, if its collapsed you need to go from scratch. If this is a home you own its probably worth fixing the duct.

Fixing the duct is messy, though.

It's a council house, but one I plan to buy off them. But it's in a house esate and digging up the duct could well mean digging into next doors garden, etc. too. it would be a fairly messy job. And more than likely, fairly expensive, too.

Oh okay. Would that not still be redundant to me, with no landline option, though?

No, as it does not have anything to do with phone lines. SIRO uses the electricity network by running fibre along ESB poles or underground. the fibre connection comes from this usually down the same duct to your ESB meter box.

While your area is in phase 1 of the rollout project it may be a while until it comes. So in the meantime try Digiweb Metro and when FTTH (fibre to the home) comes available Digiweb will change you over. They informed me that they will be offering SIRO's service and have registered me for it here in Naas. I already have Metro from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hi all,

Moving into a house next week and looking to order the broadband in early.

As it is a village in Co. Carlow, the main options are the ADSL providers - I have been on fixed wireless for the last 4 years so no idea how the below compare? I'm guessing they all use the same line anyway - but is there any difference apart from price and support between them? I will probably use my own router to replace ISP standard. Thanks :)

Eir
    Vodafone
    Sky

Vodafone are cheapest, they and Eir easily allow own equipment use, Sky make you "hack"(in the loosest sense) the router to access your credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Ok guys looking for advice.

Moved to new house in Galway city can get fibre and all that good stuff.

Now I don't care about streaming movies or Internet or any other nonsense just 100% gaming.

Which provider is best, and do I need to ask for any extra equipment or settings for stuff like lag, or ping or latency and all that good stuff.

I am not a techie at all not even a little so no idea. What to even think to ask about.

Budget is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Pc and ps4 if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

I've looked through the thread but I'm looking to see if I'm missing anything.

I currently have no internet at home. I recently bought a house and I'm surviving off phone and using net in work.

I have a basic Sky package but I don't watch too much. I'm debating whether to get a broadband only package or a basic tv bundle and broadband.

I do plan on getting an android box for tv (movies and streamed sports) or maybe an Amazon fire stick but my other half likes the certainty of having a typical tv system.

1. What would be the cheapest broadband (only) package for someone with my requirements i.e. basic surfing, usage of android box, Netflix etc. I would like it to be unlimited and the speed required would be whatever suits an android box to work properly?

2. What tv AND broadband package would you suggest?

I'm based in Dublin 16 and Eir fibre is available.

Advertisement