Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I've looked through the thread but I'm looking to see if I'm missing anything.

I currently have no internet at home. I recently bought a house and I'm surviving off phone and using net in work.

I have a basic Sky package but I don't watch too much. I'm debating whether to get a broadband only package or a basic tv bundle and broadband.

I do plan on getting an android box for tv (movies and streamed sports) or maybe an Amazon fire stick but my other half likes the certainty of having a typical tv system.

1. What would be the cheapest broadband (only) package for someone with my requirements i.e. basic surfing, usage of android box, Netflix etc. I would like it to be unlimited and the speed required would be whatever suits an android box to work properly?

2. What tv AND broadband package would you suggest?

I'm based in Dublin 16 and Eir fibre is available.

Firstly stick with Sky for TV, as there is less chance of it breaking down and only in extreme weather situations will you loose signal.

As for broadband Virgin Media. They offer speeds up to 360MB and can be installed without TV but with phone. Ideal for the Android box. Other option is broadband only from Vodafone @ €40pm.(Simply Broadband)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

How essential is the extra bandwidth for android box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Currently living in Limerick City. Im with Eir at the moment on their 100mb down/20mb up fibre package, but I'm leaving due to their price increase. Can't get Virgin broadband. Which out of Sky, Vodafone, Magnet, Digiweb, Pure Telecom etc would be best?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Currently living in Limerick City. Im with Eir at the moment on their 100mb down/20mb up fibre package, but I'm leaving due to their price increase. Can't get Virgin broadband. Which out of Sky, Vodafone, Magnet, Digiweb, Pure Telecom etc would be best?
    It's the wholesale price going up, so it's presumed that all the resellers will also raise their price in some way.

Someone else might be able to confirm this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, all are going up. No point moving over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I live in Davitt Grove ,Castlebar,Mayo. Eircom rep came to the door last week,he said fiber is enabled but I wasnt talking to him.He was saying the we would get 100mb guarenteed, is that right? We have no broadband ,just three. Whats the fastest speeds with Eir,we would hardly get the extreme package?

Would Eir be the best package to get all we want is fast broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭denis1501

Hi all,
    A friend is moving to Tullylease, near enough to Charleville in north Cork. No phone line........
    What are his options? Just needs basic working internet.
    thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I live in Davitt Grove ,Castlebar,Mayo. Eircom rep came to the door last week,he said fiber is enabled but I wasnt talking to him.He was saying the we would get 100mb guarenteed, is that right? We have no broadband ,just three. Whats the fastest speeds with Eir,we would hardly get the extreme package?

Would Eir be the best package to get all we want is fast broadband.

As far as I can tell he's lying through his teeth. The door to door lads are scum, dont give them a second of your time.

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/

Looks like you'd be serviced by a not so close cab, probably 20(Cafe closer in gets 30Mb), unless the FTTH routes are covering you and not indicated on the map. You'll know this is true if the slowest offering is 150Mb not 100Mb.

denis1501 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    A friend is moving to Tullylease, near enough to Charleville in north Cork. No phone line........
    thanks.

irelandoffline.org/map

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

denis1501 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    thanks.
    He really did pick an awful place to go for Internet access.

There is DSL in Tullylease from the Dromcollogher exchange, otherwise have a look at Ripplecom, BBNet & Permanet. Tullylease is high up but there are a number of spot heights near the village that cause issues with UHF/SHF frequencies.

Failing that, Three or Vodafone mobile internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 the dufi

Hi folks.

Looking for some advice on what the options available to me are in new apartment. Bit of a pleb when it comes to this.

Moving to Burrow Road, Sutton, Dublin 13. Apparently Virgin don't supply the complex, so I need to find another TV / BB supplier. Not too worried about the TV side of things, just a basic package would do.

But need speedy BB as I'll be running a home office with requirement for a lot of video download and upload. Eir have said that they can supply up to a 30mb line, and if I take TV then 10mb avg of this will be held over for TV, leaving 20mb avg for BB. Don't know what the upload speeds would be like. For someone who's used to Virgin 240mb that doesn't sound like very much.

Can anyone suggest some smarter options? Any advice would be really appreciated!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 aiden007

Lets not forget serious radiation spewing off these powerlines
    High broadband power transmitted through these lines. Who cares about cancer when you have fast broadband,
    Other countries have abandoned broadband through powerlines because of serious health risks and serious issues.
    Fibre optics maybe ok but broadband through powerlines, high power radiating everywhere,do the research!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

aiden007 wrote:
    Lets not forget serious radiation spewing off these powerlines High broadband power transmitted through these lines. Who cares about cancer when you have fast broadband, Other countries have abandoned broadband through powerlines because of serious health risks and serious issues. Fibre optics maybe ok but broadband through powerlines, high power radiating everywhere,do the research!

I suppose broadband cables caused the twin towers to collapse as well bloody hippy conspiracy theories

aiden007 wrote: »
    Lets not forget serious radiation spewing off these powerlines
    High broadband power transmitted through these lines. Who cares about cancer when you have fast broadband,
    Other countries have abandoned broadband through powerlines because of serious health risks and serious issues.
    Fibre optics maybe ok but broadband through powerlines, high power radiating everywhere,do the research!
    Nobody is suggesting transmitting through powerlines. The world as a whole is moving away from the concept of data transmission over copper lines.

Broadband is being transmitted through powerlines and into your house through the copper wiring,they are using fibre optic in towns and transmitting high power through unshielded cable to rural areas to try and cut costs , they put amplifiers every three poles because broadband speed decreases because it radiates off them like antennas,Australia and Austria have ceased using this method because of health issues and other implications.research!

Broadband is being transmitted through powerlines and into your house through the copper wiring,they are using fibre optic in towns and transmitting high power through unshielded cable to rural areas to try and cut costs , they put amplifiers every three poles because broadband speed decreases because it radiates off them like antennas,Australia and Austria have ceased using this method because of health issues and other implications.research!
    No. They aren't.

Definitely are so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quicksilver314

Hi, which bradband is the best in Ireland with unlimited internet?

Hi, which bradband is the best in Ireland with unlimited internet?
    Where are you based?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

high power radiating everywhere,do the research!
    If only we could figure a way to entice people to stay indoors during daylight we could prevent 10,000 cases of skin cancer a year caused by "high power radiating everywhere"

Also how are peoples to do the research without the interwebs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Which provider has the best customer service does everyone reckon? I was literally just about to join with Eir until I read about their customer service in the 'Talk To' forum? Do any of the providers stand out above the rest in terms of customer service or are they all as bad as each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 dazriel

Hi

We live approx 4 miles from Tyrrellspass in Westmeath, middle of nowhere. We got a landline when we built the house as we had no mobile reception whatsoever and got Eircom broadband on it. Due to small local population Eircom told us max speed was 2MB but in practice we generally had less than a meg.

A new mobile mast has been put up within a couple of miles of us and we can now get 4G on our phones so I got mobile broadband from Vodafone by adding it to my existing phone contract. Speed is good but we would like to get unlimited data in order to use Netflix etc as we started with a 15GB limit and a week of Youtube videos etc and it was used up. Vodafone have told us you cant get unlimited data with mobile broadband and are charging 50 euro for 50GB. We know lots of people with bundle deals with Sky etc who have good speed and unlimited data for a lot less than that.

What I am wondering is, is it possible to get unlimited data with mobile broadband from any other supplier or is it the case that you can only get unlimited data with a landline?

We don't use our landline for phone and since we have been told there's no prospect of it being upgraded to any decent speed, we'd rather get rid of it altogether and just use mobile broadband or satellite or whatever other option we have.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

dazriel wrote: »
    Hi

We live approx 4 miles from Tyrrellspass in Westmeath, middle of nowhere. We got a landline when we built the house as we had no mobile reception whatsoever and got Eircom broadband on it. Due to small local population Eircom told us max speed was 2MB but in practice we generally had less than a meg.

A new mobile mast has been put up within a couple of miles of us and we can now get 4G on our phones so I got mobile broadband from Vodafone by adding it to my existing phone contract. Speed is good but we would like to get unlimited data in order to use Netflix etc as we started with a 15GB limit and a week of Youtube videos etc and it was used up. Vodafone have told us you cant get unlimited data with mobile broadband and are charging 50 euro for 50GB. We know lots of people with bundle deals with Sky etc who have good speed and unlimited data for a lot less than that.

What I am wondering is, is it possible to get unlimited data with mobile broadband from any other supplier or is it the case that you can only get unlimited data with a landline?

We don't use our landline for phone and since we have been told there's no prospect of it being upgraded to any decent speed, we'd rather get rid of it altogether and just use mobile broadband or satellite or whatever other option we have.

Dara

First off forget satellite - that's worse than dial-up and is even more limited than mobile.

All mobile operators set limits on their BB offering, with one exception. Three - they offer an AYCE PAYG plan for a phone. When you get the SIM, activate it by sending a text on a phone and then fire it into a MiFi or Mobile router. Just top it up by €20 per month. This is totally against their Ts&Cs, but they don't seem to care and don't enforce it. But they might. Also because of this and the abuse it causes their network, the speeds suck and vary wildly in comparison to VF, Meteor etc.

Somebody recently on here talked about eir mobile doing some sort of 100 or 200GB package. This would be dependent on there being good Meteor/eir mobile coverage in your area. I think you also need to keep the landline. Have a search on here.

Also have a look on this map and see if there are any Fixed Wireless Operators in the area. Some of them provide unlimited BB, but may not have quite the same high speeds as you'll get on 4G.

It doesn't look like Imagine are covering your area yet, but they would be another one to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hi

Dara

Try getting a sim only plan from Vodafone, they can be as little as €30 with unlimited data.
    Then put it into a phone/tablet and use as a mobile hotspot.
    It won't be great but it will be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dazriel

Thanks - I had heard satellite was pretty bad alright. I will check out the map and look at the Fixed Wireless operators

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Try getting a sim only plan from Vodafone, they can be as little as €30 with unlimited data.
    Then put it into a phone/tablet and use as a mobile hotspot.
    It won't be great but it will be cheaper

VF don't do unlimited - that's why their speeds are quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

try the 3 sim first over a few days and nights, then you will get an idea, or best still wait untill the schools and collages are up and running, thats when the pressure will come on all the suppliers, i have it with 18 months, to me its a life saver, just now on lte, three bars and i am getting 4.5 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Thanks - I had heard satellite was pretty bad alright. I will check out the map and look at the Fixed Wireless operators

Thanks again

Try rural WiFi, unlimited data over 4g, uses three network. We have it north Dundalk, 20-40mbps, very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 P Funkateer

Has anyone any experience with Virgin out in Dublin 15/Ashtown? (Royal Canal apartments is where I'm living currently) Thinking of switching to them from Eircom. Just looking for broadband only, do a lot of work from home so would need a fast, reliable connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

VM BB is available in Enniscorthy after recent works is anyone here on boards using it? I've a year left on my contract with VF so I can't change provider yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sqdz

Hey,

I would like to know you experience about Eircom and Sky.

I'm looking for a connection "stable", good speed with no spike, and a good customer care.

I had Virgin Media.. No comment.

Advertisement