Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I used both, Sky was terrible, Eircom was perfect but a bit pricey. I'm with Vodafone now and it's perfect, €40 a month for BB only and it's fine. What trouble were you having with VM?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sqdz

jca wrote: »
    I used both, Sky was terrible, Eircom was perfect but a bit pricey. I'm with Vodafone now and it's perfect, €40 a month for BB only and it's fine. What trouble were you having with VM?

My trouble with VM ? :
    - Spike, lag, disconnection. A technician came, he disabled ipv6.. but same things.

- They told me "i'm not eligible", so I cancel my contract (fee 200€).. But I was eligible. They said "apologies for any misinformation", but they don't want to give me something.. they just said "you can take a new contract".

I keep the conversation with VM.

So I took Eircom, I hope for a stable connection, Thanks JCA ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Magnet Cantankerous

I'm in D11 near Charlestown SC. I'm currently with Magnet Fibre paying 50 for 90/19. I'm sick of the crappy technicolor modem that can't be put into bridge mode and has to be regularly restarted or services that require opening a lot of new connections stop working (so every multiplayer game with a match making element).

I was with UPC before they became Virgin and they gave me stick about usage so I don't really want to go back to them.

So which provider will give me the least crappy bridgeable modem and is as forgiving about usage as Magnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Currently have vodafone broadband only FTTC for 44 per month.

i am thinking of changing to FTTH

Im in castlebar so currently only option is opeir but they dont seem to offer ftth without a phoneline.

Any other options for me or should i wait for siro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

irishgeo wrote: »

Im in castlebar so currently only option is opeir but they dont seem to offer ftth without a phoneline.

The phone is free, they just make you take it like Virgin as there's a chance you'll use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi I'm living in Galway city and have finally managed to cancel my horrendous virgin media package. I'm now looking to find new broadband provider and was wondering who offers the best or fastest connection in Galway? I believe Eir, sky and Vodafone use the same eircom line..?? Is that true and if so does that mean the speed will be the same or does any of these company's have better technology which will result in faster broadband? Is there any other superior internet provider that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irishgeo wrote: »

Where in castlebar can get FTTH at the moment? Do you have to be directly next to the blue lines on the "Where & When" map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where in castlebar can get FTTH at the moment? Do you have to be directly next to the blue lines on the "Where & When" map?

no idea. i am out in manor village and i can get it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Interesting, the lines don't actually go into the estate but you can sill get it, there's hope for me yet :P How did you find out you're eligible? I presume it just pops up saying you can get it if you put your number in on the eir site? I'm in an estate on the newport road and I don't think we can get it yet.

Edit: Nevermind, put a random house number in on the site and it comes up saying you can get 1000mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi I'm living in Galway city and have finally managed to cancel my horrendous virgin media package. I'm now looking to find new broadband provider and was wondering who offers the best or fastest connection in Galway? I believe Eir, sky and Vodafone use the same eircom line..?? Is that true and if so does that mean the speed will be the same or does any of these company's have better technology which will result in faster broadband? Is there any other superior internet provider that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Bump....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Eir 50mg Dublin. Cant complain

So.. I switch Virgin to Eircom (fiber to adsl).

Connection very stable, no freeze/lag, my bandwidth is better, and the customer care are more professional.

LillySV wrote: »

Bump....

Eir, Vodafone and Sky all use the same lines yes, I would just go with whoever gives you the best deal. It will likely be Vodafone for €40 a month.

Voda and Sky rent the lines of Eircom.

http://www.bonkers.ie/

You can see "Virgin 240mb" and "Eir 100mb", it's just theoretical... but it could be possible, you have a better bandwidth with Eircom. (Currently my connection with Eir is 3x more fast, and very stable)

Virgin media is probably the worst provider I never see... Customer care, Sale team and services. (see this thread)

When I compare the technician and Customer Care.. 100% eircom. I heard a lot of bad think about Voda..

sqdz wrote: »
    Voda and Sky rent the lines of Eircom.

http://www.bonkers.ie/

You can see "Virgin 240mb" and "Eir 100mb", it's just theoretical... but it could be possible, you have a better bandwidth with Eircom. (Currently my connection with Eir is 3x more fast, and very stable)

Virgin media is probably the worst provider I never see... Customer care, Sale team and services. (see this thread)

When I compare the technician and Customer Care.. 100% eircom. I heard a lot of bad think about Voda..

I'm sure you'll find something wrong with Eir soon.

jca wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll find something wrong with Eir soon.
    I have already found for both providers.. the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 forgetfear

hows eir guys? I am on virgin media right now and i am getting 5+ disconnects a day and the techs are doing nothing about it. im a gamer so its really frustrating. Just wondering is eir reliable and can it handles a few people streaming at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

forgetfear wrote: »
    hows eir guys? I am on virgin media right now and i am getting 5+ disconnects a day and the techs are doing nothing about it. im a gamer so its really frustrating. Just wondering is eir reliable and can it handles a few people streaming at the same time?

What modem have you? There's some people that have strapped a fan to a specific model of modem (Cisco maybe??? :confused:). This stops the disconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 forgetfear

What modem have you? There's some people that have strapped a fan to a specific model of modem (Cisco maybe??? :confused:). This stops the disconnects.

I have the hub 3.0. Nothing but disconnects and t3 timeouts after multiple router replacements and techs out the issue still hasn't been fixed. Could it be the router overheating or something?

forgetfear wrote: »

Hi, I had the same situation with virgin. Approximately 5 disconnection per day + lag, I ask for a technician.. He deactivated IPv6, same issue...

I'm with eircom now, no disconnection/lag. It's perfect at the moment

• Advertisement

Finding eir very stable for gaming myself, 1ms ping on speedtest.net most evenings (not sure how accurate that is though....)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

broadband landline has been introduced to my area recently - North Cork. I am in a very remote area. I spoke to eir and they tell me that I can get broadband. However a friend of mine in another part of the area was told by an agent of eir that they were able to avail of it too and when the technician came out they discovered that they were too far away from the cabinet. Just wondering if I should risk getting eir broadband and possibly loose my landline (with vodafone). I’m 1/3 mile off the main road - cable ends at the main road. Not sure how far away I am from the cabinet. anyone have advice. thx

missfarmer wrote: »
    broadband landline has been introduced to my area recently - North Cork. I am in a very remote area. I spoke to eir and they tell me that I can get broadband. However a friend of mine in another part of the area was told by an agent of eir that they were able to avail of it too and when the technician came out they discovered that they were too far away from the cabinet. Just wondering if I should risk getting eir broadband and possibly loose my landline (with vodafone). I’m 1/3 mile off the main road - cable ends at the main road. Not sure how far away I am from the cabinet. anyone have advice. thx

If you have an existing land line then you won't get a different line from eir, because they all use the same cable.

Fire your number in here and paste the results in a reply.

Reason: Invalid Phone Number

Don’t know why it’s stating invalid no.

Reason: Invalid Phone Number

Don’t know why it’s stating invalid no.

Have you an 076 number?

No. Have a landline and the same number for 15 years

No. Have a landline and the same number for 15 years

Give Vodafone a call so.

If eir can give you better speeds, VF should be able to too. As I said they all use the same wires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Guys, looking for some advice on how to get fiber enabled on my line. I'm currently with VF for home phone and BB, but I only get 4-6MB down. The nearest cabinet has been fiber-enabled for well over a year, but every time I ask about it I'm just told that I can't get it. I've tried contacting VF and eir and I'm getting the same brick wall each time. I know it can be available and I know people in my estate have it, it's a matter of getting the line connected to the fiber exchange, but eircom don't seem to want to do it because there aren't enough fiber connections for everyone connected to the original cab.

Normal customer service is no help, any advice on who or how to approach getting myself connected to fiber?

blastman wrote: »
    Guys, looking for some advice on how to get fiber enabled on my line. I'm currently with VF for home phone and BB, but I only get 4-6MB down. The nearest cabinet has been fiber-enabled for well over a year, but every time I ask about it I'm just told that I can't get it. I've tried contacting VF and eir and I'm getting the same brick wall each time. I know it can be available and I know people in my estate have it, it's a matter of getting the line connected to the fiber exchange, but eircom don't seem to want to do it because there aren't enough fiber connections for everyone connected to the original cab.

Normal customer service is no help, any advice on who or how to approach getting myself connected to fiber?

A new number maybe? That's very frustrating you must be direct to the exchange or connected to a different cabinet much further away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I live in Ballyporeen, Co. Tipperary and now have had 4 providers out that can't provide broadband. Eir, Vodafone, Airwave and another guy who was successful further up in the village but couldn't get a signal. Am I stymied altogether? I love the house and location but this really is a bugbear. Have some success with Vodafone mobile modem but that only gives me limited usage and I really need unlimited usage and faster speed. Anyone with any suggestions I'd love some advice.

Advertisement