Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dazriel

Pilly

I reviewed my package with Vodafone mobile broadband last Friday when yet again we ran out of our 50GB data package. V nice technician said they had a new offer which was 10 euro for an additional 100GB when you are getting 50 so 150GB for 60 euro which is fantastic for us. Not as good as unlimited obvs but makes Netflix etc a real possibility rather than a treat at weekends!!!!

Dara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

dazriel wrote: »
    Pilly

I reviewed my package with Vodafone mobile broadband last Friday when yet again we ran out of our 50GB data package. V nice technician said they had a new offer which was 10 euro for an additional 100GB when you are getting 50 so 150GB for 60 euro which is fantastic for us. Not as good as unlimited obvs but makes Netflix etc a real possibility rather than a treat at weekends!!!!

Dara

That's a fantastic tip Dara, thank you so much. What's the plan called do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dazriel

Hi Pilly

Didnt seem to have a name, and sometimes I think they come up with something because youve been on moaning about being out of data so many times that they have a bit of discretion from a line manager and come up with these offers! I would get on to them and tell them I have been given this deal and ask for the same even if its not official yet or whatever

dazriel wrote: »
    Hi Pilly

Didnt seem to have a name, and sometimes I think they come up with something because youve been on moaning about being out of data so many times that they have a bit of discretion from a line manager and come up with these offers! I would get on to them and tell them I have been given this deal and ask for the same even if its not official yet or whatever

You're right, I will. I've been a customer for years with my phone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

I am looking for broadband provider for my home at Cork City center, I want 30 day contract, so I have 2 options. Magnet 100 Mbps or Virgin 240 Mbps.

Facts:

- I don't have phone number.
    - I will use it by myself (1 user)
    - I prefer connection with no data cap
    - I don't believe I can either go up to 100 Mbps, 240 is a bit absurd for me.

I prefer of course better and stable service, cheaper set up fee is a plus, but I am planning to use the provided router (no 3rd party) I will use mainly wifi and ethernet connection (I can't max out my connection with wifi, I am aware of it). So better router would be a plus also.

I was using Magnet at my previous accomodation, I am not sure if I should stick to that (I have to apply as new customer) or go with Virgin.

One question tho, one of my friends said that if I choose Magnet, I will have to stay at house and wait for techs to come up and set it up. Is this special to Magnet, or it depends on infrastructure?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭King Cantona

Can anyone recommend a good provider in StoneyBatter in Dublin?

Looking for a basic package- fast, reliable internet is most important factor for me - not too fussed with TV or sports. No requirement for phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

I'm currently with VM paying 96 a month for 240MB Limitless BB, Anytime World, TV Max package, multiroom viewing in one other room. I'm thinking of moving or downgrading because the TV offering is so poor.
    Priorities for me are Fast, Limitless Broadband as have a gamer in the family and lots of us online at the same time.
    TV, was thinking either Sky TV with Atlantic etc or cheaper TV package and take on Netflix. However, would like to have Discovery channels.
    Phone is not a big priority as both parents have mobiles and very little international calls.
    House is old with thick walls and bad wiring in terms of telecoms etc. Had to pay a good bit of money to VM to install additional points in the house a few years ago as original installation was so bad.
    Finally, when I last checked with Eir I could not get Eir TV as area not enabled yet or something.
    I am most interested in SKY but worried that the hardware and wiring I would require in the house would cost hundreds.

Can anyone advise me? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jmpr

What broadband service can I go with where I can use my own router? Based in Dublin. Not looking for super speed broadband. No data cap would be more desireable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jmpr wrote: »
    What broadband service can I go with where I can use my own router? Based in Dublin. Not looking for super speed broadband. No data cap would be more desireable.

You can use your own router with Virgin Media. You need to request they give you an ipv4 address and turn off horizon free WiFi. It's just a matter of selecting modem mode and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jmpr

You can use your own router with Virgin Media. You need to request they give you an ipv4 address and turn off horizon free WiFi. It's just a matter of selecting modem mode and you're set.

Do all providers have the option to use their box as just a modem? If so, that would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jmpr wrote: »
    Do all providers have the option to use their box as just a modem? If so, that would be handy.

I don't think so, it's one thing that really bugged me was the locked down isp supplied router.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm moving to Skirteen, Monasterevin, so i assume i'm stuck with Eir or someone using their lines? Seems like Vodafone has the best offer at the moment, but i've no idea what they (or anyone bar UPC) are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone: Slightly cheaper, 1TB cap, weaker modem
    Eir: More expensive, No cap, better modem

Sky: Wont install without their TV service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ED E wrote: »
    Vodafone: Slightly cheaper, 1TB cap, weaker modem
    Eir: More expensive, No cap, better modem

Sky: Wont install without their TV service.

Eircom it is so.

And I didn't know that about Sky. Why do they even advertise a Broadband/Phone option if they don't do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Hi.
    Trying to get broadband for a house i bought. Eircom cant supply because i'm over 5 km from the 'hub'.
    there's a lot of trees so I cant get the satellite broadband either. Imagine aint in the area yet either.
    i was advised to buy a mobile wifi box that's unlocked, then buy a sim and 20 credit each month.

Just looking for some advise and what box to buy?

digzy wrote: »
    Hi.
    Trying to get broadband for a house i bought. Eircom cant supply because i'm over 5 km from the 'hub'.
    there's a lot of trees so I cant get the satellite broadband either. Imagine aint in the area yet either.
    i was advised to buy a mobile wifi box that's unlocked, then buy a sim and 20 credit each month.

Just looking for some advise and what box to buy?

What part of Tipp are you in? I live in Ballyporeen and use a 3 sim but only get good signal upstairs, nightmare! I've tried all the providers of broadband they can't get a signal.

In saying that I can happily watch Netflix upstairs with the 3 sim.

pilly wrote: »
    What part of Tipp are you in? I live in Ballyporeen and use a 3 sim but only get good signal upstairs, nightmare! I've tried all the providers of broadband they can't get a signal.

In saying that I can happily watch Netflix upstairs with the 3 sim.[/Q

west tipp

In saying that I can happily watch Netflix upstairs with the 3 sim.[/Q

west tipp

There are parts of my village that get good coverage with www.airwave.ie but they couldn't get a signal at my house because of trees so you might be in the same situation. Worth a try though. Depending on what you want the internet for of course.

What's your phone signal like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

In saying that I can happily watch Netflix upstairs with the 3 sim.

west tipp

I'm in West tipp too. I've got Munster Broadband (the only provider in my area). It's only 3Mbps/1Mbps, but it's stable and I can survive on it.

Go to this map and drop the marker on your new house, check the Wireless ISPs option and see who might cover you. Just looking there myself and you might be covered by one of more of these:
    • Munster Broadband
    • Ripplecom Broadband
    • Celtic Broadband
    • Choice Rural Broadband
    • Premier Broadband
    • Nova Broadband
    If you want to explore mobile solutions, go into the Mobile Midband subforum on here and there's advice on what routers and antennae work best.

I'm in West tipp too. I've got Munster Broadband (the only provider in my area). It's only 3Mbps/1Mbps, but it's stable and I can survive on it.

Go to this map and drop the marker on your new house, check the Wireless ISPs option and see who might cover you. Just looking there myself and you might be covered by one of more of these:
    • Munster Broadband
    • Ripplecom Broadband
    • Celtic Broadband
    • Choice Rural Broadband
    • Premier Broadband
    • Nova Broadband
    If you want to explore mobile solutions, go into the Mobile Midband subforum on here and there's advice on what routers and antennae work best.

They are good tips, thank you. That map doesn't seem to be working for me though.

• Advertisement

They are good tips, thank you. That map doesn't seem to be working for me though.

Have you tried a different browser?

Choice rural broadband got a signal. Hopefully it'll work. Installing tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is there anything to be done if you're inside a blue area on the NBP map but not on an eircom blue line or any other fibre rollout and you're 2.2k from the exchange on adsl2

Is there anything to be done if you're inside a blue area on the NBP map but not on an eircom blue line or any other fibre rollout and you're 2.2k from the exchange on adsl2

You would be covered by the NBP in that case. The blue area of the map is not scientific. My neighbouring village has a circular blob over it, whereas my village has a bit more accurate blue area.
    403621.JPG

Even that is not representative. I'm just over 2KM from Rearcross (my house isn't on the above map), but if we were eVDSLed that blue area would stretch a little bit further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I checked eir and imagine. Both not providing fast broadband in kiltoom Roscommon. Do Siro or another provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Apologies folks for what is sure to be a stupid post for many of you.

I am moving into an old corporation house in Dublin 12. The electrics are fine, and while the circuit board is new, the wiring looks to be quite old, but as I said working fine. I've seen 1 basic phone port in the downstairs and none upstairs.

Naturally I want broadband. I am not bothered about a house phone anymore, and I'm not too concerned with tv, as the Saorview channels are enough for me, and the kids use Netflix.

I don't have a huge wedge of cash to spend, but I do want quick and reliable broadband.

What are my best options? I would greatly appreciate any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Moving to a new house in Co. Galway. When I check the phone number with Vodafone, Magnet etc it says up to 24mb available, with Eircom it says up to 4mb. I presume this means LLU in local exchange/hub. What providers does anyone recommend? Probably just internet and maybe phone, not tv...

Also how long after signing up before you typically get connected with any of the providers?

Thanks!

Kingdom wrote: »
    Apologies folks for what is sure to be a stupid post for many of you.

I am moving into an old corporation house in Dublin 12. The electrics are fine, and while the circuit board is new, the wiring looks to be quite old, but as I said working fine. I've seen 1 basic phone port in the downstairs and none upstairs.

Naturally I want broadband. I am not bothered about a house phone anymore, and I'm not too concerned with tv, as the Saorview channels are enough for me, and the kids use Netflix.

I don't have a huge wedge of cash to spend, but I do want quick and reliable broadband.

What are my best options? I would greatly appreciate any help.

I always found UPC/Horizon or whatever they're called now best in Dublin. Very fast speeds. You need a phone line but if there's a port there that means there probably was a line at one time, they just have to reconnect it.

Not the cheapest but definitely the fastest and most reliable I had in Dublin and I had them all.

I always found UPC/Horizon or whatever they're called now best in Dublin. Very fast speeds. You need a phone line but if there's a port there that means there probably was a line at one time, they just have to reconnect it.

Not the cheapest but definitely the fastest and most reliable I had in Dublin and I had them all.

Virgin Media (UPC/Horizon) don't use the phone line. The run in their own cable, but the street must already have the cable strung along it for @kingdom to be able to avail of it. They wouldn't lay it in specifically for them.

@Kingdom - I think Vodafone do a broadband only package for €40 or €45, which does need the phone line to be available, but you won't get a phone service on it - only broadband.

• Advertisement

Virgin Media (UPC/Horizon) don't use the phone line. The run in their own cable, but the street must already have the cable strung along it for @kingdom to be able to avail of it. They wouldn't lay it in specifically for them.

@Kingdom - I think Vodafone do a broadband only package for €40 or €45, which does need the phone line to be available, but you won't get a phone service on it - only broadband.

So in other words the cable has to be there, that's more or less what I meant when I said if there was a telephone port in the house there was more than likely a line. Sorry I don't get the technical aspects, only speaking from personal experience. :)

Advertisement