Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pearbelle

The Cush wrote: »

The NBP map shows nothing planned for my property, nothing commenced or even planned..😠

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pearbelle wrote: »
    That doesn't answer my question of how others that live out the country play the PlayStation??... or is that a foreign concept to them??

They either get line of sight or live closer to an exchange (within 3km). In your circumstance it'll be an obsolete device by the time its usable.

ED E wrote: »
    In your circumstance it'll be an obsolete device by the time its usable.

OK so the PlayStation its the problem and an alternative may be a gaming pc but Does a gaming pc need as much Mb as the actual PlayStation or its it possible to use gaming pc with satellite??

Doesn't solve the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Try looking at imagine.ie to see are they available in your area. They offer good speeds but might not be for everyone due to their terms and conditions.

• Advertisement

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Try looking at imagine.ie to see are they available in your area. They offer good speeds but might not be for everyone due to their terms and conditions.

Already tried them and its not available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moving into Wexford Town shortly and FTTH seems to be available at my address. Looking at the various different providers - Puretelecom specify a fair usage policy and are the most expensive, so I'm ruling them out. I'd be most inclined to go with Eir, but I seem to read nothing but bad things about them here and on reddit. Digiweb is also an option.

Would love to know if I'm being too wary of Eir's bad reputation, or if there's anything else I should be considering.

About half the problems are provider agnostic, they're OpenEirs or OpenEirs platform(Unified Gateway).

The other half of the problem is sales/support staff aren't up on it as its a niche product for them so maybe only 1 in 40 calls relate to it. We hear lots of stories about Eir, but they probably do 20-50x more business with the product than Digi who are quite small and Pure who are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Hi folks, had about 5 calls to Eir now and I can't get an answer from them. We are in a rural blackspot (terrible mobile reception and no mobile data at all). Currently on a copper connection that hits about 9mb.

However, the cabinet we must be connected to is fibre enabled, and we are about 2.2km away according to Google maps.

So is 9mb definitely the limits of a connection like that?
    I am assuming residents which are closer are getting anything from 100mb to 10 right?
    Is there anything that can be done to up it short of waiting 5 years for Siro or something?

I would be willing to invest a few thousand if I could lay down fibre cables myself to be honest, but I'm guessing this is not an option :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

However, the cabinet we must be connected to is fibre enabled, and we are about 2.2km away according to Google maps.

FTTC/VDSL is distance limited to 2 kms line length. At 2000m the speed is 7 Mbps down. Beyond 2kms you're on ADSL.

untitled2.jpg

What do these sites indicate for your eircode in relation to FTTH
    http://fibrerollout.ie/
    http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

The Cush wrote: »
    FTTC/VDSL is distance limited to 2 kms line length. At 2000m the speed is 7 Mbps down. Beyond 2kms you're on ADSL.

untitled2.jpg

What do these sites indicate for your eircode in relation to FTTH
    http://fibrerollout.ie/
    http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

That is fascinating thanks Cush. Fibrerollout.ie says we have speeds of up to 12mb and the dccae site has us in an amber area (I would say about 600m outside a blue zone encircling the cabinet.

That and your table corellate to the 9-10mb (max) we get at the moment. So basically we are f*cked and the government may sort us out with fibre by 2030 right?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Anyone live in the Curragh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Hi folks, I have moved to a rural home located on high ground between Lahinch and Miltown Malbay in Co Clare. Nearer to Miltown Malbay than Lahinch but would be more than 2km from the exchange there. I spoke with Eir today and they said that my area is not yet fibre enabled and that broadband through a fixed line would likely deliver a speed of between 1-3 mb.

I'm not a gamer but would like to be able to view youtube videos that don't buffer. Would satellite providers be a better option for the present until/if/maybe Siro happens to come along in the next few years? If so, which would be the best satellite internet provider in the area? Does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi folks, I have moved to a rural home located on high ground between Lahinch and Miltown Malbay in Co Clare. Nearer to Miltown Malbay than Lahinch but would be more than 2km from the exchange there. I spoke with Eir today and they said that my area is not yet fibre enabled and that broadband through a fixed line would likely deliver a speed of between 1-3 mb.

I'm not a gamer but would like to be able to view youtube videos that don't buffer. Would satellite providers be a better option for the present until/if/maybe Siro happens to come along in the next few years? If so, which would be the best satellite internet provider in the area? Does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Firstly satellite from reading various posts is a non runner. Expensive and low monthly allowance. If fixed lines are as poor as Eir say then there is hopefully the option of fixed wireless. Digiweb and Imagine are 2 big players with their Metro (Digiweb) and LTE (Imagine). Speeds will vary from 5MB to 30MB for Metro and up to 70MB for Imagine Visit http://www.digiweb.ie and http://www.imagine.ie for further details. Alternatively type your location in to this link and see what is available for you

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Which provider!

Got a callback from Eir this morning. Confirmed the 6th of September date which I got from Digiweb. He has to call back in 3-5 days when my Eircode has had something done to it in their system. No idea really what the story with that was.

Took a bit of effort getting it out of him but he confirmed the unlimited usage limit is 1TB / month with a maximum overage charge of 24.95 or something like that.

it's 1000/100 with both

Digiweb unlimited data* = "Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service." WTF

They have a 200 euro installation fee & 12 month contract at 75 euro, can not find what exactly their unlimited usage policy is...

Eir (60*6)+(90*6) = 900 first year with a potential of + (24.95*12) = 1200
    Digiweb = (12*74.95) = (899.4+199) = 1098.4 with a potential of having the service cut off for exceeding 1TB

So scrapping all the above, in Cratloe, Co. Clare which provider should I be going with when FTTH goes live on the 6th of September (I know it will be delayed further but still...) Or is there even any choice outside of those two?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex.115

Hey,
    so my situation is kinda unlucky I would say. I am living currently in Monasterevin in apartment where is no landline/phone line so I am looking for some good wireless internet for games (steam), twitch, youtube.. I found RuralWifi but not sure about that. Any recommendation, experiences?

Thanks for any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭colbarr

I'm currently with Virgin Media Broadband (I don't know what package though, it's the parents house) and we've had the Technicolor TC7200 modem for the past few years now. Should I be on to Virgin about getting an upgrade, or is this still the standard modem that they're giving out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,747 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am looking at running a business from a property that seems to be in a no-signal spot in Tipp. Just north of Mullinahone. There is a phone line but the nearest fibre is 5km away. I cannot see that there is anything other than outdoor 4G. Though the map is so small its impossible to be sure, I am fairly confident that there is no significant reception otherwise. I was able to make an outdoor mobile call with about 2 to 3 lines of reception on Vodafone.

I do not need a lot of speed, if I could surf, get emails and hopefully use Skype that would be fine.

Can anyone suggest any solutions please, or at least where I should start looking, I am really non-tecky

looksee wrote: »
    I am looking at running a business from a property that seems to be in a no-signal spot in Tipp. Just north of Mullinahone. There is a phone line but the nearest fibre is 5km away. I cannot see that there is anything other than outdoor 4G. Though the map is so small its impossible to be sure, I am fairly confident that there is no significant reception otherwise. I was able to make an outdoor mobile call with about 2 to 3 lines of reception on Vodafone.

I do not need a lot of speed, if I could surf, get emails and hopefully use Skype that would be fine.

Can anyone suggest any solutions please, or at least where I should start looking, I am really non-tecky

Calls go on 3G while your data would hopefully be 4G so that "test" doesnt give us much.

Use here to see whats available:
    irelandoffline.org/map/

Vodafone MBB tops out at 150GB so if you'd be doing 40hrs a week (+ leisure use?) then Three's unlimited phone deal would be better if speeds in that area are acceptable.

What hours would you work?
    Can you get a Three 4G phone and Vodafone 4G phone and do speed tests from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

colbarr wrote: »
    I'm currently with Virgin Media Broadband (I don't know what package though, it's the parents house) and we've had the Technicolor TC7200 modem for the past few years now. Should I be on to Virgin about getting an upgrade, or is this still the standard modem that they're giving out?

No, I found the new white modem they're doing way better than the 7200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,747 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ED E wrote: »
    Calls go on 3G while your data would hopefully be 4G so that "test" doesnt give us much.

Use here to see whats available:
    irelandoffline.org/map/

Vodafone MBB tops out at 150GB so if you'd be doing 40hrs a week (+ leisure use?) then Three's unlimited phone deal would be better if speeds in that area are acceptable.

What hours would you work?
    Can you get a Three 4G phone and Vodafone 4G phone and do speed tests from there?

Thank you for that link, I had not seen that one. It suggests that Ripplecom may be able to help. I have messaged them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hey,

Just looking for suggestions on what broadband providers you would recommend?

Currently I am with Sky, I am having nightmare after nightmare with them, going on over a year and I am utterly fed up now at this stage.

I would love to move to Virgin Media but they unfortunately unavailable in my area.

I refuse to go with Eir (for reasons I won't state here). I'm reluctant about Vodafone as they are 18 month contracts and there is a chance VM could be available within my area next year so I'm not sure about an eighteen month contract.

I need two things, good broadband that is fast and reliable (I download and use Netflix so need something that doesn't block either of those) and a landline. Those are the two requirements.

Would really appreciate some suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey,

Just started renting in Athlone. Looking for suggestions for BB providers in the area. I'm quite close to the town center, less than 1km.

Mainly looking for broadband only for Gaming/netflix. It will be shared among 4 people though, so needs to be somewhat reliable and flexible.

Would consider package deals for tv/bb such as sky or virgin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scan the names of Wifi access points in the general area as a quick way to see which providers are in use. Horizon is Virgin.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home check if there is a cabinet near you but YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

Hi, just started renting in Cork City, we have no landline and don't want one. Can I still get internet? And which internet provider would be the best and cheapest? Thank you :) (we also don't want any tv channels just internet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

yellowlor wrote: »
    Hi, just started renting in Cork City, we have no landline and don't want one. Can I still get internet? And which internet provider would be the best and cheapest? Thank you :) (we also don't want any tv channels just internet)

You can enter your own Broadband requirements on one of these price comparison sites, if you wish

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/
    You need to tick your own specific preferences so; obviously you will only highlight "Broadband" if you do not want landline/TV etc;
    You will also need to provide your eircode address for Bonkers.ie

Alternatively, try Switcher.ie
    https://switcher.ie/broadband/compare/broadband-only/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Hi just wondering if anyone has recommendations for broadband providers in Edoxtown Rathfeigh Co. Meath? Quite rural! Thinking Virgin if there's any chance it's available??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

FiOT wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone has recommendations for broadband providers in Edoxtown Rathfeigh Co. Meath? Quite rural! Thinking Virgin if there's any chance it's available??

Virgin do not service any locations outside of urban areas so they are a non runner. Depending on exactly where your home is you may be serviced by the Balrath or Tara exchange. Both are due to have live FTTH services by the end of the year but all homes will not be covered.

To see if your home is planned enter your Eircode on the following two sites and post the results:

http://fibrerollout.ie/ (check rural 300k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Virgin do not service any locations outside of urban areas so they are a non runner. Depending on exactly where your home is you may be serviced by the Balrath or Tara exchange. Both are due to have live FTTH services by the end of the year but all homes will not be covered.

To see if your home is planned enter your Eircode on the following two sites and post the results:

http://fibrerollout.ie/ (check rural 300k)

Thank you so much for this.

Just a question as we are on the map for the FTTH roll out. Will this new faster connection just be available to Eir customers or will it be available to say Vodafone as well seeing as they use Eir lines? Vodafone seems to be the best package but if we need to go with Eir to get the faster connection speed we will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

FiOT wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this.

Just a question as we are on the map for the FTTH roll out. Will this new faster connection just be available to Eir customers or will it be available to say Vodafone as well seeing as they use Eir lines? Vodafone seems to be the best package but if we need to go with Eir to get the faster connection speed we will.

If you are on the FTTH rollout map for Eir then Vodafone will not be part of it, as they are in FTTH partnership with the ESB (SIRO). However most of the other ISP's will.

Have you got an idea as to when FTTH will be available in your area?

Advertisement