Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Broadband Explained: https://www.digiweb.ie/broadband-explained/

The term broadband commonly refers to high-speed Internet access that is always on. Digiweb Broadband services includes several high-speed transmission technologies such as:

Fibre (Fibre to the Home, SIRO powered FTTH, Fibre to the Cabinet)

NextGen (Next Generation)

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line)

Metro (Wireless)

Satellite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Digiweb wrote: »
    Broadband Explained: https://www.digiweb.ie/broadband-explained/

The term broadband commonly refers to high-speed Internet access that is always on. Digiweb Broadband services includes several high-speed transmission technologies such as:

Fibre (Fibre to the Home, SIRO powered FTTH, Fibre to the Cabinet)

NextGen (Next Generation)

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line)

Metro (Wireless)

Satellite

What's the story with your business plans for FTTH connections, had a quick look but couldn't find it on your website. Small business / home office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Want to avail of a deal currently going with Eir, our 1 year half price deal with Virgin media is running out and the price if obviously going up.

BB has been very good with Virgin, TV has been a little less dependable (on demand, netflix seem to freeze very regularly).

Can anyone tell me what the Eir broadband speeds would be like in the midlands region, namely Athlone?

90mpbs download speed where we are with Virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Want to avail of a deal currently going with Eir, our 1 year half price deal with Virgin media is running out and the price if obviously going up.

BB has been very good with Virgin, TV has been a little less dependable (on demand, netflix seem to freeze very regularly).

Can anyone tell me what the Eir broadband speeds would be like in the midlands region, namely Athlone?

90mpbs download speed where we are with Virgin.

SIRO FTTH is currently being rolled out in Athlone. So check with either Digiweb, Vodafone or Airwire with your eircode to see if it is available to you. Eir FTTH may also be available to you but they will need a phone number to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭chewed

How long does it usually take for other competitors to come on board when FTTH has been rolled out? I've had FTTH over a year now and obviously with Eir. But when I check any of the other providers my address draws a blank on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

chewed wrote: »
    How long does it usually take for other competitors to come on board when FTTH has been rolled out? I've had FTTH over a year now and obviously with Eir. But when I check any of the other providers my address draws a blank on the website.

Are you checking by trying your Eircode? If you're live for eir you should be live for all the operators on https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

cunnijo wrote: »
    SIRO FTTH is currently being rolled out in Athlone. So check with either Digiweb, Vodafone or Airwire with your eircode to see if it is available to you. Eir FTTH may also be available to you but they will need a phone number to confirm.

Stupid question but what is FFTH? I'd be looking avail of eir tv, broadband and home phone.

I've had virgin media which is excellent but costly. Wondering if there's big drop off in quality in terms of eir broadband

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Stupid question but what is FFTH? I'd be looking avail of eir tv, broadband and home phone.

I've had virgin media which is excellent but costly. Wondering if there's big drop off in quality in terms of eir broadband

Fibre To The Home - where a fibre optic cable is brought into your home. It is generally considered best in class in terms of download and upload speed.

There are two separate wholesale networks with varying geographic availability:

1 - Openeir (eir wholsale) ~200000 premises nationwide with services available from these ISPs

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons)

2 - SIRO (ESB Vodafone joint venture) ~150000 premises nationwide with services available from these ISPs

https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/

It's probably unlikely that both networks are available to you.

Are you checking by trying your Eircode? If you're live for eir you should be live for all the operators on https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons).

Sky, Virgin and Vodafone are all unavailable! I was hoping to switch tv as the Eir TV is awful.

Sky, Virgin and Vodafone are all unavailable! I was hoping to switch tv as the Eir TV is awful.

Virgin have their own cable network that they and they alone use.

Vodafone are involved with the ESB in SIRO and seem unwilling to sell on a competitor's network.

Sky may be your best bet if you can hang on a few months. A reliable source has posted here that they would be selling on the Openeir network by the end of this year. Providing you can erect a dish Sky's TV is probably the best of the pay providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Considered FTA and OTT Tv instead of EirVision?

ED E wrote: »
    Considered FTA and OTT Tv instead of EirVision?

Yeah, I'm going to look into that once Eir contract is up in September. My query was really just a general one. I had assumed after 1 year everyone would be able to jump in and offer services along with Eir.

I had assumed after 1 year everyone would be able to jump in and offer services along with Eir.

After? Not at all. Every ISP could offer it from day 1. They're choosing not to.

After? Not at all. Every ISP could offer it from day 1. They're choosing not to.

I thought as Eir were providing the FTTH services, they would have a monopoly for a certain amount of time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I thought as Eir were providing the FTTH services, they would have a monopoly for a certain amount of time?

eir is the retail division and open-eir the wholesale division of eircom Ltd. open-eir is rolling out the FTTH network but they are regulated by legislation (regulated access) to provide access to their network on a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

Sorry, a bit of a stupid question. When the FTTH works are completed in my area, will I be able to sign up with Sky Fibre using the FTTH line, or do I have to join eir?

Fichtl wrote: »
    Sorry, a bit of a stupid question. When the FTTH works are completed in my area, will I be able to sign up with Sky Fibre using the FTTH line, or do I have to join eir?

You can't sign up with Sky at the moment as they don't currently sell Openeir FTTH. There are rumours that this may change by the end of the year.

Your current options for ISPs are listed on the following page marked with green circular home icons:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Can someone tell me, has Eir's fibre upgrade project come to a complete standstill? My local exchange has been flagged as "fibre coming soon" on fibrerollout.ie for over three years now ...and I live in Dublin city centre.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, has Eir's fibre upgrade project come to a complete standstill? My local exchange has been flagged as "fibre coming soon" on fibrerollout.ie for over three years now ...and I live in Dublin city centre.

There are a good few cabs (not exchanges) outstanding in the city centre. At this point they can only be left due to problems with completing the works. If you glimpsed the cavity work pre Luas BXD you'd have seen how messy some of this stuff is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There are a good few cabs (not exchanges) outstanding in the city centre.

A few is definitely a massive understatement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Looking at rural broadband options. Available are Eir, Vodafone, Sky, Digiweb and Pure, unfortunately 'up to' 24MB.

Which company will give me best service?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Charlesmarls

hi all,

just looking for advice currently have virgin naked 240mb (still in cooling period).

Have been offered vodafone/siro broadband for cheaper and speed up to 1000mb.

To be honest it almost sounds to good to be true, whats the catch? would i be mad not to switch over?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

hi all,

just looking for advice currently have virgin naked 240mb (still in cooling period).

Have been offered vodafone/siro broadband for cheaper and speed up to 1000mb.

To be honest it almost sounds to good to be true, whats the catch? would i be mad not to switch over?

thanks
    Yes I think you would be mad not to take it I would if I wasn't still in contract with vm but as soon as my contract is up I'm jumping. I mean once the introductory offer is finished you would be paying 55e for gigabit broadband compared to 54e for 240mb it's a no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ellobee wrote: »
    Yes I think you would be mad not to take it I would if I wasn't still in contract with vm but as soon as my contract is up I'm jumping. I mean once the introductory offer is finished you would be paying 55e for gigabit broadband compared to 54e for 240mb it's a no brainer

Depending on the area, some of the providers on SIRO even offer the Gigabit promotion for 50 EUR/month. Depends on where you are.

But yes, broadband on SIRO a superior product over Virgin, especially when you have broadband only in the first place.

/M

It's not going to stay at €55 for 1Gb forever though. Before this promotion most ISPs were charging €80 - €90 for the product I believe. I would expect a return closer to those prices.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

It's not going to stay at €55 for 1Gb forever though. Before this promotion most ISPs were charging €80 - €90 for the product I believe. I would expect a return closer to those prices.

The promotion pricing is guaranteed for 18 months by SIRO to the provider. This period starts from the day, the connection is brought in for each individual customer.

Obviously, every SIRO provider that is taking part in the promotion can offer their own pricing and contractual terms based on that.

What we do, is to contact the customers a month ahead of the promotion ending and see, if they want to keep Gigabit at the price that it goes to afterwards or if they want to change package to something more suitable for their budget.

Other providers may have a different approach to this.

The promotion pricing is guaranteed for 18 months by SIRO to the provider. This period starts from the day, the connection is brought in for each individual customer.

Obviously, every SIRO provider that is taking part in the promotion can offer their own pricing and contractual terms based on that.

What we do, is to contact the customers a month ahead of the promotion ending and see, if they want to keep Gigabit at the price that it goes to afterwards or if they want to change package to something more suitable for their budget.

Other providers may have a different approach to this.

What price do you see it going to at the end of the promotion? Would I be correct in saying it was over €90 before the promotion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

with so much competition around I would expect prices to stay very competitive
    VM are in big trouble in my area, their broadband was the only thing helping them hold on to customers now that ftth is available people are moving so I fully expect vm to come up with some new and better pricing on their broadband and if gigabit goes up to 80 or 90 and vm offer 320mb for around the 40e mark a lot of people would move back, at the end of the day gigabit is a bit of a luxury.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

What price do you see it going to at the end of the promotion? Would I be correct in saying it was over €90 before the promotion?

Our pricing before the promotion is still on the website, as not everyone wants the 18 month contract. It's 80 EUR, but we also offer 600 Mbit/s for 60 EUR, which is a package that most of the other SIRO providers don't offer at all.

I believe most of the other SIRO providers were charging 90 EUR before the promotion started. There are also providers, that don't participate in the promotion, as there are other requirements also to the provider for getting that pricing.

• Advertisement

Our pricing before promotion is still on the website, as not everyone wants the 18 month contract. It's 80 EUR, but we also offer 600 Mbit/s for 60 EUR, which is a package that most of the other SIRO providers don't offer at all.

I believe most of the other SIRO providers were charging 90 EUR before the promotion started. There are also providers, that don't participate in the promotion, as there are other requirements also to the provider for getting that pricing.

Fair enough! As long as the customer is aware that what they are getting is essentially a heavily discounted promotion for 18 months then I don't see any issues.

Advertisement