Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Looking for some basic internet for a relatives house in Limerick City. Nothing fancy just web browsing. Is there 5g mifi available yet? Not up to speed (no pun intended) on this at all.

They should hopefully have plenty of wired options available. Steer clear of wireless if you can get wired.

Bang in their eircode here and see whats available: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Hey guys

Just shopping around for grandparents as their contract is almost up.

They have ftth and landline with eir so Just looking to see what's out there.

Waiting on callbacks from both Airwire and Pure Telecom.

Does anyone have any experience with Pure for FTTH? The price seems really good. I know their routers aren't the best, but the grandparents wouldn't be using the Wifi element of the router.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

lenoude wrote: »
    Hey guys

Just shopping around for grandparents as their contract is almost up.

They have ftth and landline with eir so Just looking to see what's out there.

Waiting on callbacks from both Airwire and Pure Telecom.

Does anyone have any experience with Pure for FTTH? The price seems really good. I know their routers aren't the best, but the grandparents wouldn't be using the Wifi element of the router.

Cheers

Where abouts are they? I'm using Digiweb FTTH and they're excellent. No issues with them and their support is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

chewed wrote: »
    Where abouts are they? I'm using Digiweb FTTH and they're excellent. No issues with them and their support is great.

In Tullamore, Offaly. Yeah I was checking Digiweb and have heard good things. The price is a little on the high side for landline and broadband, from what I can see anyways.

Pure are offering 150mb and landline for E35 for 6 months and then E 55 for the remaining 12 months which seems to be very good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Is there a consensus on who the better provider is if you're going with SIRO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

lenoude wrote: »
    In Tullamore, Offaly. Yeah I was checking Digiweb and have heard good things. The price is a little on the high side for landline and broadband, from what I can see anyways.

Pure are offering 150mb and landline for E35 for 6 months and then E 55 for the remaining 12 months which seems to be very good value.

Sounds like a good deal. I just have broadband and opted for 300mb as I do a lot of work from home. I'm paying €65 pm. It's pricey, but when you've had to endure 10 years of crap midband, I would have paid anything to get FTTH. Even after 1.5 years, I still get excited when I do a speed test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Is there a consensus on who the better provider is if you're going with SIRO?

Not every provider is available on every part of the SIRO network. So it's important to know, where in the country you want to get a SIRO connection.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is there any way of actually knowing what the best provider will be in your area? I've heard plenty of mixed reviews about all broadband providers and it's very difficult to make a decision!

Do you just go for the cheapest price for the speed you want and hope for the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

ULMarc wrote: »
    I've had a failed Siro installation and honestly it's so difficult to find information on alternatives, or even reasonably priced alternatives as nobody seems to be trying to compete.

I've just ordered Virgin 250 as it was more enticing than VDSL options, and already set up in the house. But at €59 euro a month it's a bit scabby. I can't say the interaction with custom service was a very pleasant experience either.

Are there any other cable providers that would be competitive? I'd gladly cancel the service if I could avoid being taken for a ride.

How do you mean scabby?

What are you expecting for 59e a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

limnam wrote: »
    How do you mean scabby?

What are you expecting for 59e a month?

He's probably only comparing to SIRO and forgetting that current pricing is based on a time limited promotion. On every other network he would max see 300 Mbit/s for that sort of money so the 250 for 59 EUR is a pretty good deal.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Are there any real alternatives to virgin broadband? I'm in Dublin, so there is decent infrastructure but don't yet get SIRO.
    With the added problem that I do not have an eir phone line in the house at the moment (there was none visible when we bought the house, but did have phone line yon the past).

I don't need huge speeds by any means, and am pretty sure I get well below 100mb as it is, even though I'm paying for "360".

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mcgreee

Hi Everyone,

Looking to swap broadband providers in North Dublin. Currently with Eir and its awful. Doesn't work in certain areas of the house and when more than 4 devices are connected it doesn't work at all.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be a massive help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mcgreee wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Looking to swap broadband providers in North Dublin. Currently with Eir and its awful. Doesn't work in certain areas of the house and when more than 4 devices are connected it doesn't work at all.

Sounds like you need either a better router or add on a WIFI access point to the current router.
    Is your router in a central location in the house and if not would it be possible to run an ethernet cable from where the router is to a WIFI access point?

Hi Everyone,

As Tuxy mentioned this sounds like it's not an Eir issue per se but a local "wi-fi" problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mcgreee

tuxy wrote: »
    Sounds like you need either a better router or add on a WIFI access point to the current router.
    Is your router in a central location in the house and if not would it be possible to run an ethernet cable from where the router is to a WIFI access point?

Yeah the router is under the stairs in the middle of the house, don't think it would be ideal to run an ethernet cable from it unfortunately.

Do all providers offer a Wifi access point?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Hey All

Just moved out to Dundrum Dublin and going through the broadband only providers right now.

Have been with Virgin Prior to this and had very few issues other than price.

My choices are between 240Mb Virgin or Vodafone 100Mb quite a big price difference. Is 240 really worth it? Havnt rang either provider yet, i'm guessing if i ring I can get bumped up to the higher tier with Virgin for same price, unless they cut this practice out.

MurDawg wrote: »
    Is 240 really worth it?

If you need to ask, it probably won't make much difference to you.

Yeah the router is under the stairs in the middle of the house, don't think it would be ideal to run an ethernet cable from it unfortunately.

Do all providers offer a Wifi access point?

If you can't run ethernet, you might look into powerline technology to extend the existing wifi into other rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

limnam wrote: »
    If you can't run ethernet, you might look into powerline technology to extend the existing wifi into other rooms.

Yup in some rare cases you can get 100Mbit with this but 30 - 40 is more common. Fast enough for most people I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭dam099

MurDawg wrote: »
    My choices are between 240Mb Virgin or Vodafone 100Mb quite a big price difference. Is 240 really worth it? Havnt rang either provider yet, i'm guessing if i ring I can get bumped up to the higher tier with Virgin for same price, unless they cut this practice out.

How was the Vodafone 100Mb quoted, was it "up to" or was that given as your prequal speed? You would need to be close to the VDSL cabinet to get 100Mb, the further away you go it will drop down to possibly as low as 7Mb (assuming you are urban the run probably wont be long enough to go that low but could still be a good bit less than 100Mb if you are a good bit away)

Virgin is generally the full 240Mb as it uses more robust coax cable from their cabinets.

So depending on real life attainable speed you could be looking at anywhere from 7 vs 240 to 100 vs 240.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

Sky sell two types of connection. FTTH where it is fibre directly into the premises from the exchange. This is high speed and distance is not a problem. This does not seem to be available to you.

They also sell VDSL which is fibre to an exchange or cabinet then a copper cable to your home (phone line). The speed you get will depend on how far the copper cable has to travel from the exchange or cabinet. If you are really 3km from an exchange or cabinet you are not going to get a high speed connection, certainly nowhere near 100Mb.

You might want to look into local wireless ISPs or the various mobile broadband options from 3, eir or Vodafone.

Check your location on this map to give an indication of what may be available

https://irelandoffline.org/map/
    SameOleJay wrote: »
    Any help appreciated. Looking to switch from digiweb at 60/month for 35gb to the Sky fibre 100mb package. Digiweb isn’t close to meeting needs for speed/allowance.

We’re rural, on Kildare/Meath border 3 miles from the closest village and without a phone line so options limited. Sky have said they can serve here, would be great to hear of any experience
    What result do you get when you enter your Eircode here:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Similar enquiry to some extent, similar area, scouting out potential options for a new home, and broadband access/availability would be an important consideration, maybe this poster found out more? I checked the Map and FTTH is available at two locations I was interested in, both are at least a few miles from the nearest cabinet, Eir (who Id be reluctant to go with) state/claim from their website that availability for 150/300/1000gb is at one location, need to check the other, wondering how much you'd get in speed actually as the options Ive considered look like a rural road, FTTH is available, does that mean its available at each address? fibre on a rural road?? to each house?

I looked up Pure, Digiweb (which look to have some good reviews) and sky might be a potential option, but they seem to do callbacks or in Skys case I cant see at all if their is availability, I could ring through but just looking for as much information as possible before I do, if FTTH is available through Eir, does that mean other providers broadband would be available? can I tell if they do their own (ADSL?) lines? or if its Fibre? or what?

I thought 150 seems miniscule, but then checking another provider that Ive heard of (Magnet) they offer 24MB's??, I think Ive got 200 or maybe 250 at my current location (urban) through VM.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

1874 wrote: »
    Similar enquiry to some extent, similar area, scouting out potential options for a new home, and broadband access/availability would be an important consideration, maybe this poster found out more? I checked the Map and FTTH is available at two locations I was interested in, both are at least a few miles from the nearest cabinet, Eir (who Id be reluctant to go with) state/claim from their website that availability for 150/300/1000gb is at one location, need to check the other, wondering how much you'd get in speed actually as the options Ive considered look like a rural road, FTTH is available, does that mean its available at each address? fibre on a rural road?? to each house?

I looked up Pure, Digiweb (which look to have some good reviews) and sky might be a potential option, but they seem to do callbacks or in Skys case I cant see at all if their is availability, I could ring through but just looking for as much information as possible before I do, if FTTH is available through Eir, does that mean other providers broadband would be available? can I tell if they do their own (ADSL?) lines? or if its Fibre? or what?

I thought 150 seems miniscule, but then checking another provider that Ive heard of (Magnet) they offer 24MB's??, I think Ive got 200 or maybe 250 at my current location (urban) through VM.

If you send us a PM with a list of Eircodes you are considering we can check out whats available and get back to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

Digiweb wrote: »
    If you send us a PM with a list of Eircodes you are considering we can check out whats available and get back to you

Can you just give me an idea if i give the areas or do i need specific eircodes, in work at the moment so would be easier if I could just pm general area if acceptable. Also, being used to high speed (relatively at times) broadband as used to an urban connection, Im a bit unsure what the mimimum speed I would need, one location had a provider stating 100mb possible but 24mb likely type if an answer, I think my broadband is 250mb and when it slows its a blooming inconvenience, although I could be partly at fault for relying on my wireless connection when i could/should have hardwired to my router. Is digiweb a hardwired adsl set up using eircom phone line infrastructure? Im sure a neighbour had digiweb and i thought it looked like they had an antenna externally, when i say antenna it was like a box but it appeared to be pointing in a specific direction.
    What speeds can be expected with difiweb and what is the technical setup? FTTH is available in 2 of the localities i was interested in. Ill pm though.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Can you just give me an idea if i give the areas or do i need specific eircodes, in work at the moment so would be easier if I could just pm general area if acceptable. Also, being used to high speed (relatively at times) broadband as used to an urban connection, Im a bit unsure what the mimimum speed I would need, one location had a provider stating 100mb possible but 24mb likely type if an answer, I think my broadband is 250mb and when it slows its a blooming inconvenience, although I could be partly at fault for relying on my wireless connection when i could/should have hardwired to my router. Is digiweb a hardwired adsl set up using eircom phone line infrastructure? Im sure a neighbour had digiweb and i thought it looked like they had an antenna externally, when i say antenna it was like a box but it appeared to be pointing in a specific direction.
    What speeds can be expected with difiweb and what is the technical setup? FTTH is available in 2 of the localities i was interested in. Ill pm though.

PM Sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You really need to check on a per premises basis. One home may have FTTH available and next door not. The best way to check is by using the Airwire checker in the previous post you quoted. Do not rely on maps.

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

If FTTH is available there are three tiers of product available from several ISPs 150/30, 300/50, 1000/100Mb/s.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

If FTTH is not available and Virgin is not available (will not be in any rural areas) and it is a rural location I would be reluctant to purchase if the internet is important to you.

150/30Mb/s should be enough for a lot of people though it is up to yourself what you wish to pay for. You should get pretty much the speed you order 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MadKingAyres

(Literally just signed up to Boards today so let me know if this question is in the wrong place)

Basically, moving house soon to rural Monaghan. I've had a look at the house and noticed that there's one of those black boxes with the spool of cable wrapped around it on the telephone pole directly outside the house. As I understand it, those boxes indicate some level of broadband availability, right?

Have also looked on the rollout map and while the house itself shows as amber (so not connected up yet), several properties on either side - including the next door neighbour which is about 1-2 house widths away - show as light blue (connected). Would I be right in thinking that this would mean there's a decently good chance of there being broadband available to the new house as well?

Finally, family is looking to get broadband/Netflix/Sky TV. I've seen Sky provides a package for all three for like 60 quid a month. Are they my best bet, or am I missing out on a better deal elsewhere/walking into a customer service nightmare?

What result do you get if you enter the house Eircode here:

https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Gives 'Not Available' for everything except VDSL, for which it says to check with the sales team.

Gives 'Not Available' for everything except VDSL, for which it says to check with the sales team.

You're in trouble then. If the Eircode of the house is not passing for FTTH (black boxes) you're not going to be able to order from anyone. Is it a recently built house?

• Advertisement

It's not recently built, however it has just occurred to me that there may not be a phone (and thus active phone line) currently installed in it. Would that be screwing up the Airwire test or does that not require an active phone line?

Advertisement