Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 f1reeko

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Depends what part of Kerry you are & what's available in the area. Eir don't have the best of reputations so I would be inclined to go with Sky.
    I live in South Kerry & I'm with Vodafone. Haven't had any problems with them.

Thanks for the advice. Between Tralee and Firies. Vodafone are available and a few others new to me. Sky might make sense as getting sky TV in too. But Sky was a bit iffy in UK. Sounds like customer service might be a bit better over Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

f1reeko wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Between Tralee and Firies. Vodafone are available and a few others new to me. Sky might make sense as getting sky TV in too. But Sky was a bit iffy in UK. Sounds like customer service might be a bit better over Eir.

EIR don't have great customer service according to those who have dealt with them. I've had SKY in the past & they were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Looking to order FTTH today but really unsure who to go with. My options are:

1. Vodafone 500 @ €30 for 12 months , free install, free activation
    2. Sky Broadband 500 @ €40 for 12 months, €50 install fee
    3. Pure Telecom 500 @ €35 for 12 months, free install, free activation.

Eir a non runner as they're way more expensive for only 150 broadband and activation fees, Digiweb while would have been my preference are also alot more expensive than options 1-3. We've had Vodafone and Sky in our old house and both were excellent but that was FTTC. Not sure who to go with for FTTH. I'm leaning more towards Vodafone or Pure. I know Vodafone have mixed feedback and we've had them for a goodwhile now without any issues but looking for feedback moreso on Pure FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

The folks were due to have Virgin Fibre Optic installed today but the installers said they couldn't due to a blocked duct and they would have to get another team to sort that. Anyone have any idea how long this type of thing usually takes to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Has anyone any experience of vodaphone?Thinking of going for the €45 per month package for broadband, tv and phone? Virgin is a good service but very expensive. In urban Dublin. Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Looking to move to SIRO, was looking at Digiweb/Vodafone etc. However I NEED to be able to do the following:

Use VOIP since I want to keep my 'landline' number

Use the supplied modem/router in bridge mode since my current one is located in a better position and is running many things well at the moment, and it itself does not take a 'phone line cable' for phone calls.

So basically, ASUS wifi router - > Supplied modem, which wireless phone plugs into - > SIRO wall -> internet.

Anyone have any experience, reviews on digiweb/vodafone/others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Looking to change over from Eir to Sky Ultrafast, not Siro as it is not available in the area. When I switch over, is it just a matter of plugging in the new Modem? Can I expect an outage period once I switch or is it seamless?

Anyone got opinions on Vodafone vs Pure for 500 meg broadband. Pure is 5e more a month over 12 months but give the Fritzbox. I've never had the Fritzbox but only ever hear people singing its praises. Both are FTTH.

I need to order one of them today...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

Can anyone recommend a good broadband provider in the Glenageary area (Glenageary Park if anyone is in that neck of the woods)?

Or even websites, or reviews based on location, or anywhere I can determine what speeds to expect.

From experience I'm less worried about cost, and more conscious about actual speeds available as I'll be working from home.

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Anyone got opinions on Vodafone vs Pure for 500 meg broadband. Pure is 5e more a month over 12 months but give the Fritzbox. I've never had the Fritzbox but only ever hear people singing its praises. Both are FTTH.

I need to order one of them today...

Pure would be the better option, as it is an Irish company with support based here. They also supply a better modem with the Fritzbox 7530. I am with Digiweb and they also supply Fritzbox modems and they are as an option may be worth a call. I find their support and customer service easy to deal with and they offer €30 off one of your bills if you know an existing customer who will recommend you.

Also a point to note the 1Gb option (SIRO) is a better option, as it works out better value overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

cunnijo wrote: »
    Pure would be the better option, as it is an Irish company with support based here. They also supply a better modem with the Fritzbox 7530. I am with Digiweb and they also supply Fritzbox modems and they are as an option may be worth a call. I find their support and customer service easy to deal with and they offer €30 off one of your bills if you know an existing customer who will recommend you.

Also a point to note the 1Gb option (SIRO) is a better option, as it works out better value overall
    @cunnijo
    I have been searching for a while, but would you happen to know if a Digiweb with Fritzbox 7530 can work in bridge mode ?
    I want ONT -> Fritz -my own asus and my landline phone, in such a way that to every device in the house nothing has changed re wifi /internet access. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

jogdish wrote: »
    @cunnijo
    I have been searching for a while, but would you happen to know if a Digiweb with Fritzbox 7530 can work in bridge mode ?
    I want ONT -> Fritz -my own asus and my landline phone, in such a way that to every device in the house nothing has changed re wifi /internet access. ?

@jogdish

From what I can see the FritzBox 7530 router/modem does not support bridge mode. However it uses the MESH system. So if your ASUS router supports MESH then it may well work. The attached link is the full user manual for the 7530 and it may provide an answer for you. The wifi quality however is fairly good with the 7530 especially on the 5ghz band so you may not need to use the ASUS.

https://assets.avm.de/files/docs/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/fritzbox-7530_man_en_GB.pdf

If you are intending to sign up for SIRO then your landline will go through the 7530 as a VOIP connection. You can however plug in your existing analogue phone into the RJ11 socket on the back of the modem. If you join Digiweb they will port your existing number within 24 hours of installation. As I mentioned in the "Digiweb (SIRO) experience" post 9 you can also use the 7530 as a base station for up to 6 cordless handsets (see link below).

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/technical-data/

May I also mention you can get €30 off one of your early bills if you know an existing Digiweb customer who can either recommend you or provide you with details which you quote when placing an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭uncle-mofo

How are peoples lead times for FTTH installation dates? I opened an account with Digiweb 2 weeks ago, the fibre line was activated in my estate last Wednesday and they said I should get a text for an installation date that day.

I still have not got any text about an install date (presumably from openEir/KN).

What are peoples wait times like currently? It's an agonizing frustrating wait as I am trying to work with a dodgy mobile hotspot at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    How are peoples lead times for FTTH installation dates? I opened an account with Digiweb 2 weeks ago, the fibre line was activated in my estate last Wednesday and they said I should get a text for an installation date that day.

I still have not got any text about an install date (presumably from openEir/KN).

What are peoples wait times like currently? It's an agonizing frustrating wait as I am trying to work with a dodgy mobile hotspot at the moment.

Did you check with Digiweb for an update?

limnam wrote: »
    Did you check with Digiweb for an update?

Yep I've been on to them regularly, according to them they cannot do anything as it's in OpenEir's hands, and I should get notification of a date within the next 24 hours. They've told me this on 3 separate occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Yep I've been on to them regularly, according to them they cannot do anything as it's in OpenEir's hands, and I should get notification of a date within the next 24 hours. They've told me this on 3 separate occasions.

Strange they continue to say that if they have no control over it.

They have a rep on boards maybe PM them and ask them to look at it.

limnam wrote: »
    Strange they continue to say that if they have no control over it.

They have a rep on boards maybe PM them and ask them to look at it.

I sent them a PM just there. Fingers crossed.

Fairly disappointed because I made the decision to go with Digiweb as they have a reputation for good customer service. So far it's been no better than what I had with Eir.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

I sent them a PM just there. Fingers crossed.

Fairly disappointed because I made the decision to go with Digiweb as they have a reputation for good customer service. So far it's been no better than what I had with Eir.

Apologies about this, just sent you a PM with install date

Digiweb wrote: »
    Apologies about this, just sent you a PM with install date

Fair play, credit where credits due to Digiweb. All sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

Hello all. I'm looking for a recommendation for broadband. I'm in Firhouse, and currently with Eir, for broadband, TV & landline (although am going to ditch the landline). I switched from UPC, who I had been reasonably happy with, when Virgin Media took over, as the internet speed immediately dropped and connection got spotty. The main reason for change is financial. Anyone have any suggestions. Many thanks in advance for any replies received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

Buying a house an the current owner has confirmed they had Eir installed.

Eir have advised that they have Fibre to a cabinet not far from the house, but that fibre is not yet available and the best they can offer me is standard on the copper cables with speeds ‘Up to 100mb’

Is that it option wise, you either have access to fibre or you don’t, and if you don’t you simply buy based on price as they’ll all be using the existing copper wire the house has?

Please excuse my naivety here, as I’m sure I’ve shown above I’m new to this.

If it helps at all we’ll be residing all the electrics in the house, could we do anything to improve broadband while doing that?

Thanks for any advice offered

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So I've just moved to Waterville in Kerry, and my broadband choices seem limited.

1. Eir - No installation fee, €29.99 a month. They say up to 150mb, but Switcher says it'd only be 24mbps in my area. Also, Eir...
    2. Ivertec - €250 installation fee, €49.95 a month. 50 Mbps (speeds will fluctuate between 40-50 Mbps) according to an email i got.

Either way, it's not great, but does anyone have any experience with Ivertec? And would Switcher be accurate with their 24mb estimate? I've ordered both, and they get installed next week, so need to cancel one on Monday morning.

If you go to Airwire.ie/avail or Vodafone’s website and put in your eircode it’ll tell you what speed is available at your address. I find these a better indication than the eir website. https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/ is also a good way of checking the speeds available.

Sorry I have no experience on the other provider.

So that site is saying i can get Lightning 1000 FTTH Gigabit Broadband for €24.54 per month for 3 months (€63.89 after). Those speeds seem...unbelievable for the area. Only other provider it lists is Satellite broadband.

Kiith wrote: »
    So that site is saying i can get Lightning 1000 FTTH Gigabit Broadband for €24.54 per month for 3 months (€63.89 after). Those speeds seem...unbelievable for the area. Only other provider it lists is Satellite broadband.

That means that FTTH is available for that eircode so you should be able to go with Eir/Vodafone/Digiweb/Sky among others. Some of the prices I was quoted are below - I really was only paying attention to the first year costs so some of the out of contract costs may be slightly off.

Eir quoted me €99 install last week, €49 activation fee with 150meg down €29.99 for first year and then jumping to €69.99 out of contract.

Vodafone have free connection and start at €30 a month for 500meg down or €40 1GB gigabit - cannot remember the price thereafter.

Pure Telecom - free connection and €35 for 500 meg down for 12 months going to €55 after 12.

Digiweb - quoted me €99 install , €49 activation fee , €25 for first 3 months and then jumping to €64.99 I think it was. The price on their website was different to what the sales team would offer which was frustrating. First time trying to order off them and was a disappointing experience unfortunately.

I ended up going with Pure in the end as the customer service team were excellent and based in Ireland. If I didn’t go with Pure Vodafone was my next selection.

Hope some of the above helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

That means that FTTH is available for that eircode so you should be able to go with Eir/Vodafone/Digiweb/Sky among others. Some of the prices I was quoted are below - I really was only paying attention to the first year costs so some of the out of contract costs may be slightly off.

Eir quoted me €99 install last week, €49 activation fee with 150meg down €29.99 for first year and then jumping to €69.99 out of contract.

Vodafone have free connection and start at €30 a month for 500meg down or €40 1GB gigabit - cannot remember the price thereafter.

Pure Telecom - free connection and €35 for 500 meg down for 12 months going to €55 after 12.

Digiweb - quoted me €99 install , €49 activation fee , €25 for first 3 months and then jumping to €64.99 I think it was. The price on their website was different to what the sales team would offer which was frustrating. First time trying to order off them and was a disappointing experience unfortunately.

I ended up going with Pure in the end as the customer service team were excellent and based in Ireland. If I didn’t go with Pure Vodafone was my next selection.

And are you getting the advertised speed, or close to it?

That's extremely helpful. Didn't have any idea i could get this, so unreal help.

Can i ask how long it took to install for you? I plan on calling Digiweb, Pure (who i think my account is still active with in the old house) and Vodafone monday morning, and basically saying whoever can get it setup first gets my business.

Kiith wrote: »
    That's extremely helpful. Didn't have any idea i could get this, so unreal help.

Can i ask how long it took to install for you? I plan on calling Digiweb, Pure (who i think my account is still active with in the old house) and Vodafone monday morning, and basically saying whoever can get it setup first gets my business.

It’s only being installed this coming Wednesday so no speed test results yet. I have to say though I’m very impressed by their sales / support team in the sense that everything was explained thoroughly and everything was clear. Support is based in Ireland also which is a major +

I’ve had Vodafone FTTC in the past and found it excellent but my patience for their customer service or support team no longer exists. I lose the will to live if I have to ring him. The service is reasonably priced.

Eir - let’s say never again. They’re a disaster and will avoid at all costs. They did “quote” a quicker install date but with a €150 install & activation for a fraction of the speed too I don’t understand how people go with them.

Digiweb: many people here recommend them and say their support is excellent. It’s a fair bit more expensive than Vodafone / Pure / Eir when you factor in install, activation and the fact it’s €64.99 but their support is also based in Ireland so also a big + for them. Maybe you’ll have a better experience if you call to what I had.

Let us know who you go with in the end.

Do you mind me asking when you ordered from Digicom? Just trying to get an idea of when it might get installed. I need to get it setup asap, as the myfi device i'm using at the moment is a ****ing disaster, and work will quickly lose patience with me.

• Advertisement

It would be 8 working days

Advertisement