Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone have any experience on how long it takes Eir to do what i assume is dig work? KN Group came out last week but were unable to put the duct into the house, as there is an ESB box in the way. Apparently they need Eir to move their line further down the path, past the ESB box, and they can then lay the fibre duct into the house.

Eir have given me a forecast date of the 29th March, and when i call them to get a more concrete date, they say it'll "probably" be done sooner. I'll be calling them constantly, but i need to know if i should just give up and look into satellite or something else.

Currently using a 4g dongle, which does the job for now, but isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

SoupBanana wrote: »
    Hi all,

Fibre to the home is finally available in my area.

I'm with Airwire right now for fixed wireless and I do think their customer service is pretty good, so happy to stick with them but they are quite expensive.

How do Digiweb compare? Does it matter who we go with in terms of speed? I want to get 1000/100

Cheers

I have heard reasonable things about digiweb but they are WAYYYYY overpriced when you compare to VF/SKY/PURE... the have a nice 3 month discount then a very high price thereafter PLUS they charge an install fee which neither VF or Pure do.

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience on how long it takes Eir to do what i assume is dig work? KN Group came out last week but were unable to put the duct into the house, as there is an ESB box in the way. Apparently they need Eir to move their line further down the path, past the ESB box, and they can then lay the fibre duct into the house.

Eir have given me a forecast date of the 29th March, and when i call them to get a more concrete date, they say it'll "probably" be done sooner. I'll be calling them constantly, but i need to know if i should just give up and look into satellite or something else.

Currently using a 4g dongle, which does the job for now, but isn't great.

Not QUITE comparable... but in Cork yesterday KN came to install my fibre line, we dont know where duct comes in and they advised they need their "civils team" to come and do the dig work.... Grand.

3 hours later it was booked in on the phone for Wednesday coming.

Was it KN's Civil team that contacted you after their initial visit?

KN have said it's Eir that will be doing the work here, which is why i'm worried. It's been 10 days now, and Eir still have the 29th as their forecast date.

Was it KN's Civil team that contacted you after their initial visit?

KN have said it's Eir that will be doing the work here, which is why i'm worried. It's been 10 days now, and Eir still have the 29th as their forecast date.

Yes it was KN again, I guess maybe KN have the contract for certain parts of the infrastucture and Open Eir themselves...

Suspect KN are better as they have the carrot of being paid... Eir are probably their long time useless selves and will have it on the long finger.

• Advertisement

Yeah, wish it was KN as they were very helpful when i talked to them. Girl on the phone basically said hound eir, and call them every day till they come out and do the work.

Yeah, wish it was KN as they were very helpful when i talked to them. Girl on the phone basically said hound eir, and call them every day till they come out and do the work.

Prob same booking lady I spoke with and ya had all the info and quite friendly and helpful was quite surprised considering the dread of anything to do with Eir.

Hounding sounds like the right approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

fionny wrote: »
    I have heard reasonable things about digiweb but they are WAYYYYY overpriced when you compare to VF/SKY/PURE... the have a nice 3 month discount then a very high price thereafter PLUS they charge an install fee which neither VF or Pure do.

Fair enough.

I'm not too concerned about the monthly cost as long as the service is good.

I called Airwire trying to get an install and they said they'd try and get a KN engineer booked but it might not be until this afternoon (to have it booked). And I've not heard anything back which is annoying.

If I sign up through Eir online I can get someone out Weds. Why would Airwire not be able to do something similar straight away?

I'd rather stick to Airwire or even Digiweb, but I'm also eager (desperate) to get FTTH installed asap.

Fair enough.

I'm not too concerned about the monthly cost as long as the service is good.

I called Airwire trying to get an install and they said they'd try and get a KN engineer booked but it might not be until this afternoon (to have it booked). And I've not heard anything back which is annoying.

If I sign up through Eir online I can get someone out Weds. Why would Airwire not be able to do something similar straight away?

I'd rather stick to Airwire or even Digiweb, but I'm also eager (desperate) to get FTTH installed asap.

There’s paying for service and being gouged. Digiweb are like twice the price. They all come on same infrastructure and if something goes wrong it’s same people who will fix not your named isp.

I signed up with pure the other day they had KN out in under a week but that likely depends on their availability.

There’s paying for service and being gouged. Digiweb are like twice the price. They all come on same infrastructure and if something goes wrong it’s same people who will fix not your named isp.

I signed up with pure the other day they had KN out in under a week but that likely depends on their availability.

In that case I should probably just go for Eir.

Engineer out on Wednesday and cheaper than the rest.

24 month contract though, and a pain to get hold of I'd imagine!

• Advertisement

In that case I should probably just go for Eir.

Engineer out on Wednesday and cheaper than the rest.

24 month contract though, and a pain to get hold of I'd imagine!

Eirs “cheaper” price is only for 150meg and is 1 cent cheaper then Vodafone who give 500meg for same price? Check bonkers or switcher

Eir's 1GB is €54.99 for 24 months, and i'll also save a tenner on Amazon Prime for a year, so they are cheaper then the other options for the same speed.

Customer support are a nightmare, but maybe once i get it installed i'll get lucky and never have to call them.

Eir's 1GB is €54.99 for 24 months, and i'll also save a tenner on Amazon Prime for a year, so they are cheaper then the other options for the same speed.

Customer support are a nightmare, but maybe once i get it installed i'll get lucky and never have to call them.

But pure and Vodafone are 40 a month for 1gig on 12 month contract. So even with prime then you still are 5 cheaper.

Plus no install and with pure for anyone interested it’s a frtizbox modem same as digiweb.

But pure and Vodafone are 40 a month for 100gig on 12 month contract. So even with prime then you still are 5 cheaper.

Plus no install and with pure for anyone interested it’s a frtizbox modem same as digiweb.

Fwiw also I asked pure for login details and they replied with no bull in under a day and each subsequent reply they replied instantly. Quite impressed.

But pure and Vodafone are 40 a month for 100gig on 12 month contract. So even with prime then you still are 5 cheaper.

Yeah, it's difficult to justify paying Airwire 79 euro for the same speeds.

I may gave Pure a call this morning and then cancel my Airwire one I set up yesterday.

But pure and Vodafone are 40 a month for 1gig on 12 month contract. So even with prime then you still are 5 cheaper.

What modems do Vodafone use?

Is there a noticeable difference?

What modems do Vodafone use?

Is there a noticeable difference?

VFs aren’t bad they are rebranded custom huawei’s. I intend to use my own router entirely now that I don’t need an actual modem for the fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Quick question. We were on an outdated Virgin media plan so my wife called them today to cancel the telephone and move to 250mb broadband only. Anyway she was given a new 12 month contract at 60 quid a month. She didn't ask for a discount and if I had realized she was entering a a new contract we would have. Is there any point in ringing back and asking for a discount at this stage? Stupidly I had assumed our existing contract would just have been amended to remove the home telephone.

Edit: Don't particularly want to have to cancel and sign up again in my name for new customer price. She is heavily reliant on broadband for work so couldn't risk being a day or 2 without connection.

Not much chance they will give you anything, but worth a shot.

You have 14 days after ordering to cancel, if you're still within that period. Then move to someone else and get the better offer.

Quick question. We were on an outdated Virgin media plan so my wife called them today to cancel the telephone and move to 250mb broadband only. Anyway she was given a new 12 month contract at 60 quid a month. She didn't ask for a discount and if I had realized she was entering a a new contract we would have. Is there any point in ringing back and asking for a discount at this stage? Stupidly I had assumed our existing contract would just have been amended to remove the home telephone.

Edit: Don't particularly want to have to cancel and sign up again in my name for new customer price. She is heavily reliant on broadband for work so couldn't risk being a day or 2 without connection.

If you want to move to an open eir connection you could overlap new connection and virgin dc. As already mentioned you should have 14 day cooling off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Not much chance they will give you anything, but worth a shot.

You have 14 days after ordering to cancel, if you're still within that period. Then move to someone else and get the better offer.

Thanks, was thinking of moving to Vodafone but reading a lot about inconsistency and drop outs. At least with Virgin we've never had any problems with connection. Wife is working from home full time and to be honest a consistent connection is more important than faster speeds. I suppose I might think about doing the whole cancel and re-sign thing.

Thanks, was thinking of moving to Vodafone but reading a lot about inconsistency and drop outs. At least with Virgin we've never had any problems with connection. Wife is working from home full time and to be honest a consistent connection is more important than faster speeds. I suppose I might think about doing the whole cancel and re-sign thing.

Just ring them and activate the cooling off and tell them then tell them you are moving unless you get at least the equivalent of a new customer offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

I got the notification today that SIRO now available. So have tried to pull info together based on info throughout thread as follows. I'm an existing Sky customer, so don't get a SIRO discount with them presumably.

Annual prices summary

Digiweb 500MB /1GB €530/530, €50 activation, €99 install
    Pure 500MB /1GB €420 / €480, free activation and install
    Vodafone 500MB /1GB€360 / €480, free activation and install
    Sky 500MB /1GB €660 / €880, did not check additional fees.

So seems Pure and Vodafone are best for cost, Vodafone €5/month cheaper.

On modems, Pure use a Fritzbox 7530, with Vodafone some type of custom Huawei one.

can anyone help with the following or any other comparisons?
    • Any better features or performance from either modem (WiFi devices for child and adult)?
    • Is online/phone support better from either, I know Pure is Irish based, Vodafone presumably UK based.
    • Any real benefit on 1GB over 500MB, uses all over WiFi, (laptops, tablets (kids), phones, Sky Box, Video over Firestick etc.

Waesfjord wrote: »
    I got the notification today that SIRO now available. So have tried to pull info together based on info throughout thread as follows. I'm an existing Sky customer, so don't get a SIRO discount with them presumably.

Annual prices summary

Digiweb 500MB /1GB €530/530, €50 activation, €99 install
    Pure 500MB /1GB €420 / €480, free activation and install
    Vodafone 500MB /1GB€360 / €480, free activation and install
    Sky 500MB /1GB €660 / €880, did not check additional fees.

On modems, Pure use a Fritzbox 7530, with Vodafone some type of custom Huawei one.

can anyone help with the following or any other comparisons?
    • Any better features or performance from either modem (WiFi devices for child and adult)?
    • Is online/phone support better from either, I know Pure is Irish based, Vodafone presumably UK based.
    • Any real benefit on 1GB over 500MB, uses all over WiFi, (laptops, tablets (kids), phones, Sky Box, Video over Firestick etc.

Vodafone support is run out of Egypt now and is properly awful their staff will outright lie to you. I caught them rotten in a lie recently and they still didn’t back down despite SIRO themselves saying it was a lie.

500meg should be plenty for most. I am going for 1gig because I’m a nerd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Might be worth looking at caps/fair usage policies too?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Might be worth looking at caps/fair usage policies too?

Can’t find mention on pure but their faq claim you can stream Netflix 24/7.

Also having previously been a VF customer for years until their service went to pot I never once hit any usage cap and I’m a heavy enough users.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Any info on the WiFi router, who it handles multiple users and what its coverage is ?

Any info on the WiFi router, who it handles multiple users and what its coverage is ?

Look them up both should be absolutely fine for the standard user. The Vodafone one is called their gigabox modem and you have the Fritzbox above. Of course with fibre it opens a world of having your own router which is what I’m doing.

Ignore

• Advertisement

I didn't quite catch what Pure said on the phone but it sound like "NRG 5" modem, or something like that.

That's what they said when I signed up for 1gb. It definitely wasn't Fritzbox they said, but maybe I misunderstood.

Advertisement