Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

I ended up calling Pure today for FTTH install - 1gb download package.

After deciding I couldn't justify the cost to Airwire, I signed up with Vodafone.

I had a good look through this forum last night though and it really put me off. So many stories of bad service (both product and customer support). I understand they're probably more popular and hence more likely to see poor feedback, but I just couldn't go through with it.

So I've cancelled that to now and rang Pure this morning. I've put myself back a few days in getting fibre over the indecision but prefer a company I can get through to easily. Plus like many people I've waited years, a few more days won't hurt.

Just waiting to receive my welcome email, and then hopefully an install date in the next few days. Plus Pure is the same price for first 12 months as Vodafone so it feels like a no brainer really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We found a local guy, who has done other work for our landlord, who has said he can install the duct from where the Eir fibre box is to the house. Did it for a neighbour apparently. There's no reason why someone not Eir related could do this, right? I know i'd still need KN to actually put the fibre line in, but once the duct is there it should be straightforward, right?

If i don't need Eir at all, will probably go with a different vendor.
    fionny wrote: »
    But pure and Vodafone are 40 a month for 1gig on 12 month contract. So even with prime then you still are 5 cheaper.
    Can't find Pure's 1GB offer. Is that on their site? Like the look of Vodafone on a 45 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ledar

SoupBanana wrote: »
    I signed up with Vodafone.

I had a good look through this forum last night though and it really put me off. So many stories of bad service (both product and customer support). I understand they're probably more popular and hence more likely to see poor feedback, but I just couldn't go through with it.
    I signed up with Vodafone and was expecting installation tomorrow. I decided I wanted to remove the home phone option from the bundle. They can't do it over chat and I've spent a full day on hold listening to "I can feel the chaaaaanges". So as soon as I get through to a human, that's me, I'm out. DigiWeb or Pure Telecom seem, at least, to be easier to contact.

Anyone know a pre-installation, equipment free email address I can contact Vodafone to cancel? It's beginning to look like I'll have to print their cancellation form and post the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I ended up calling Pure today for FTTH install - 1gb download package.

After deciding I couldn't justify the cost to Airwire, I signed up with Vodafone.

So I've cancelled that to now and rang Pure this morning. I've put myself back a few days in getting fibre over the indecision but prefer a company I can get through to easily. Plus like many people I've waited years, a few more days won't hurt.

Just waiting to receive my welcome email, and then hopefully an install date in the next few days. Plus Pure is the same price for first 12 months as Vodafone so it feels like a no brainer really.

I had to ring them back after I got the welcome mail and they were like ok need to ask a few extra questions and then they booked priority install so might be worth doing same.

ledar wrote: »
    I signed up with Vodafone and was expecting installation tomorrow. I decided I wanted to remove the home phone option from the bundle. They can't do it over chat and I've spent a full day on hold listening to "I can feel the chaaaaanges". So as soon as I get through to a human, that's me, I'm out. DigiWeb or Pure Telecom seem, at least, to be easier to contact.

Anyone know a pre-installation, equipment free email address I can contact Vodafone to cancel? It's beginning to look like I'll have to print their cancellation form and post the thing.

Just hit them on Twitter easiest way to get the disaster that is vodafone.

If anyone else is signing with pure I can refer you if your willing. I’ll get something not sure if you will too.

• Advertisement

I had to ring them back after I got the welcome mail and they were like ok need to ask a few extra questions and then they booked priority install so might be worth doing same.

Yeah that's what they said to do.

I rang up around 10am this morning to sign up and they said welcome email will be here by 11am tomorrow.

Not sure how quickly they can get a KN engineer out but I'm looking forward to it now.

After taking 15-20 mins to get through to cancel the Vodafone order this morning I'm already glad I did.

I didn't quite catch what Pure said on the phone but it sound like "NRG 5" modem, or something like that.

That's what they said when I signed up for 1gb. It definitely wasn't Fritzbox they said, but maybe I misunderstood.

I asked too when I signed up and they told me huawei which I assume is for fttc connection. I got the fritzbox

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mendozza

Hello,

I'm living in the area (Glasthule, Co.Dublin) where only ADSL fibre-to-cabinet providers availlabe (selection is Vodafone, Eir and Pure). As far as I understand, all ADSL providers use the same line. Cost aside is there any difference in speed & stability of connection they can deliver? At the moment I'm with vodafone, but considering switching to Eir or Pure as vodafone often stops working during the day. Thanks in advance!

mendozza wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm living in the area (Glasthule, Co.Dublin) where only ADSL fibre-to-cabinet providers availlabe (selection is Vodafone, Eir and Pure). As far as I understand, all ADSL providers use the same line. Cost aside is there any difference in speed & stability of connection they can deliver? At the moment I'm with vodafone, but considering switching to Eir or Pure as vodafone often stops working during the day. Thanks in advance!

Speed wise there will be nothing in it. The line can take what the line can take. There can be downtime’s related to the isp but if it’s regular faults it’s likely an issue on the line that all providers will suffer.

Go for price and service. All signs point to staying well clear of eir who are a pack of gougers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Kiith wrote: »

Can't find Pure's 1GB offer. Is that on their site? Like the look of Vodafone on a 45 month contract.

https://switcher.ie/broadband/compare/siro-broadband/?product_type=broadband-phone

• Advertisement

SIRO is different to Fibre, isn't it? When i put our address in for SIRO, it's not available.
    Kiith wrote:
    We found a local guy, who has done other work for our landlord, who has said he can install the duct from where the Eir fibre box is to the house. Did it for a neighbour apparently. There's no reason why someone not Eir related could do this, right? I know i'd still need KN to actually put the fibre line in, but once the duct is there it should be straightforward, right?
    And sorry to ask again, but this should be ok, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

mendozza wrote: »
    Hello,

Stay away from Eir they are a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Need to use a landline and can get SIRO at my house, do anyone have experience of landline use over fibre ? Kinda worried the voice quality will go to hell like those call centres ?

jogdish wrote: »
    Need to use a landline and can get SIRO at my house, do anyone have experience of landline use over fibre ? Kinda worried the voice quality will go to hell like those call centres ?

The quality is likely a lot better than a mobile phone. I have an IP phone for years and the quality is great, can't speak for SIRO though. The downside is if your power or internet goes then so does your landline. Not such a big deal these days when most have a mobile as backup in case of emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

SIRO is different to Fibre, isn't it? When i put our address in for SIRO, it's not available.

And sorry to ask again, but this should be ok, right?

SIRO is fibre. Specifically, SIRO uses ESB's infrastructure to offer fibre to the home. Providers might also offer "fibre" broadband, but it would be fibre to the cabinet rather than the home. No idea about the duct question, sorry!

So for anyone interested I got my fibre connected today after the civils "team" (one man band really) came. It was a pain in the hole for him given complications of duct splitting, he nearly gave up multiple times but in the end got my 80 odd metre of fibre in and connected. I setup my asus router to connect and it worked first time no issue so no need for the fritzbox.

This is the speed the router directly gets

5B4346G.png

My comps on wifi 6 get about 520megs, so I am going to ring tomorrow and move down to 500meg until wifi tech improves as im only wasting money on the gig atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

My comps on wifi 6 get about 520megs, so I am going to ring tomorrow and move down to 500meg until wifi tech improves as im only wasting money on the gig atm.

Which ISP connected you in the end? I'm assuming Pure? Delighted to see the Asus worked straight out of the box. We initially received the F2000 from them and was only getting between 25-30 meg on the 500meg profile, begged and pleaded with them from day 0 not to give us the F2000, to give us a different router because the F2000 is JUNK. We had 4 of them from Eircom over the course of a year in 2017 and it needed to be rebooted every few days. As soon we changed the modem on Pure, bam, we were getting over 300 on wifi and not one single issue since. Your own modem is the way to go in my mind these days. I don't need anything mad techy or business grade but just something that doesn't constantly let you down.

Pure indeed... did have to configure the Asus router but was easy peasy. and ya ISP modems are behind the times.

So for anyone interested I got my fibre connected today after the civils "team" (one man band really) came. It was a pain in the hole for him given complications of duct splitting, he nearly gave up multiple times but in the end got my 80 odd metre of fibre in and connected. I setup my asus router to connect and it worked first time no issue so no need for the fritzbox.

This is the speed the router directly gets

5B4346G.png

Very jealous!

After chopping and changing my mind a few times we've ended up with Sky for 45 a month for 12 months. Not sure what service is like but I find they're generally quite easy to get hold of at least for TV stuff.

Install is Tuesday so hoping for similar speeds.

I have everything crossed that my devolo magic 2 plugs will give me at least the 100mb upload upstairs, and hopefully anything between 200-500mb download. I know it's so dependant on a number of factors, but the upload in particular is really important.

Otherwise I have to decide how to run an ethernet cable to the office.

Out of interest did you have a choice of where to place the ONT?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Very jealous!

After chopping and changing my mind a few times we've ended up with Sky for 45 a month for 12 months. Not sure what service is like but I find they're generally quite easy to get hold of at least for TV stuff.

Install is Tuesday so hoping for similar speeds.

I have everything crossed that my devolo magic 2 plugs will give me at least the 100mb upload upstairs, and hopefully anything between 200-500mb download. I know it's so dependant on a number of factors, but the upload in particular is really important.

Otherwise I have to decide how to run an ethernet cable to the office.

Out of interest did you have a choice of where to place the ONT?

how long is the wait between sign up and install?
    I'm looking at porting over phone line to SIRO, is that just simply advising at time of sign up to SIRO ISP (probably Pure, even though €5 more than Vodafone).

• Advertisement

Waesfjord wrote: »
    I'm looking at porting over phone line to SIRO, is that just simply advising at time of sign up to SIRO ISP (probably Pure, even though €5 more than Vodafone).

Siro and Open Eir cant "port" as far as I know so youd need to cancel down your Open Eir service when signing up for the Siro product.

Waesfjord wrote: »

I rang on Monday and we're getting it installed next Tuesday, so 8 days.

That's a completely new FTTH install though, we've never had it before. Not sure what it is when you port.

Very glad we avoided Vodafone, at least Sky are relatively easy to get hold of. Just hope the service of the actual fibre is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Rang Pure yesterday and asked about routers. They supply Zyxel and Fritz!Box routers and you can request the fritz!box when ordering. I presume it is the 7530. Could be 7590 but doubtful because of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

daraghwal wrote: »
    Rang Pure yesterday and asked about routers. They supply Zyxel and Fritz!Box routers and you can request the fritz!box when ordering. I presume it is the 7530. Could be 7590 but doubtful because of the price.

7530. The sister signed up and she got the F2000 from them which is a ball of absolute scrap and was only getting about 25-35 megs on WiFi and kept cutting out but they replaced it with the FRITZ!Box 7530 and now it’s a consistent 350 to 440 using Speedtest on the 12 Pro. The FRITZ!box is an great piece of kit and works a dream on Pure so far. Their customer care is based in Ireland and great compared to Eir and Vodafone at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

So I've went from an outdated slow broadband connection on virgin to no connection at all, great upgrade. Got the black router in the post but it will not work, 3 hours of trying.

Is there really any point on having a 1gb connection if you'll only ever get around 500mb on the wifi? Are homeplugs any better, cause that's what i have on my main machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

daraghwal wrote: »

I signed up Wednesday and they told me they only supply the Fritz on both 500 & 1gb products (Siro)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I live in Dublin 7. All our phone and broadband on our avenue comes from telephone poles. Six months ago they came and added new cabling to all the telephone poles which look like fibre. The spools have been left tied in spools at the top of the poles. Do I need to ring Eir if they are selling fibre or is that pointless ?

Is there really any point on having a 1gb connection if you'll only ever get around 500mb on the wifi? Are homeplugs any better, cause that's what i have on my main machine.
    You have a machine you can connect directly with cat 6?

• Advertisement

Can’t modern WiFi handle a total of 1GB with multiple devices connected?

Advertisement