Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You have a machine you can connect directly with cat 6?
    Depends on where the router is i guess. Still waiting on the setup, but doubt my wife will like a cat6 trailing across the house :P
    Can’t modern WiFi handle a total of 1GB with multiple devices connected?
    Possibly yeah, but don't have wifi on the desktop.

It's not an issue, 500mb is more then enough for anything i would ever need. But i like the idea of it being 1gb :P

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there really any point on having a 1gb connection if you'll only ever get around 500mb on the wifi? Are homeplugs any better, cause that's what i have on my main machine.

I'm going for 1gb because I need the 100mb upload speed.

Whether I get 500mb down or 1000mb isn't a huge concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

SoupBanana wrote: »
    I'm going for 1gb because I need the 100mb upload speed.

Whether I get 500mb down or 1000mb isn't a huge concern.

Virgin Media or FTTH? I believe Virgin Media still only do 50Mb upload on the 1Gb package, the FTTH providers do give 100Mb for new customers on 1Gb packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

dam099 wrote: »
    Virgin Media or FTTH? I believe Virgin Media still only do 50Mb upload on the 1Gb package, the FTTH providers do give 100Mb for new customers on 1Gb packages.

OpenEir - FTTH.

Sorry - didn't realise you were talking about Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ruggabugga101

Hi lads, we have access to Virgin as well as gigabyte broadband from eir, airwire and Vodafone.

Am I right in thinking openeir (the wholesale side of eir) sell the services on to me via either eir, VF or airwire....so in essence regardless of who I go with it will be the same service?

Siro still showing as unavailable....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Kiith wrote: »
    Depends on where the router is i guess. Still waiting on the setup, but doubt my wife will like a cat6 trailing across the house :P

Possibly yeah, but don't have wifi on the desktop.

It's not an issue, 500mb is more then enough for anything i would ever need. But i like the idea of it being 1gb :P
    You could buy an alfanet usb dongle. Great and cheap and passive.

Hi lads, we have access to Virgin as well as gigabyte broadband from eir, airwire and Vodafone.

Am I right in thinking openeir (the wholesale side of eir) sell the services on to me via either eir, VF or airwire....so in essence regardless of who I go with it will be the same service?

Siro still showing as unavailable....

Avoid eir unless you want a large dose of stress and zero customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dublin2Clare

Hi
    Complete novice here. In the process of moving to a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. Phoned eir this morning and they said I could get a landline installed, but couldn’t get broadband. Stupid question maybe but I thought you could always get broadband over the landline.
    What are my other options? Mobile reception is also rubbish there. Does that have an impact on mobile broadband? Is satellite my only option?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Avoid eir unless you want a large dose of stress and zero customer support.

Rock solid network though, so you shouldn't really need to get in touch with them often.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

Broadband over landline. Depends on distance from exchange or nearest fibre-optic connection, among other things. In some cases one house can get it and the nearest neighbour cannot, just because the quality of the line is not good enough. Generally, if you can get broadband over a landline the bandwidth is technically limited - the limitations of the "ohmic loop". You may be paying for "Unlimited" but that's not what you get.
    Poor mobile reception. If this is very poor (but check all the mobile networks) then mobile broadband will be poor also.
    I have Eir broadband on landline but the bandwidth is very poor and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. (It's very expensive also).
    Satellite broadband. The trouble with satellite broadband is the time delay between send and receive, which is annoying as you can see when it's used for TV news interviews.
    My next-door neighbour has Imagine - brilliant bandwidth for the same price that I'm paying - but they are not taking on new customers in my area - something to do with territorial rights under the rural broadband rollout!

I'm afraid I don't have a solution other than to wait for rural broadband with fibre-optic cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi
    Complete novice here. In the process of moving to a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. Phoned eir this morning and they said I could get a landline installed, but couldn’t get broadband. Stupid question maybe but I thought you could always get broadband over the landline.
    What are my other options? Mobile reception is also rubbish there. Does that have an impact on mobile broadband? Is satellite my only option?
    Thanks

There is another option in the form of fixed wireless where a small aerial in installed on your chimney, which feeds into a router/modem inside. Companies like Imagine https://www.imagine.ie/, Digiweb https://digiweb.ie/metro-broadband/, Airwire https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/fwa. There may well be others available in the area.

A lot will depend on where the house is located. If one of these works then it can be an option until the National Broadband Plan is rolled out. The only one I know of that is allowing people to register their interest is Digiweb https://digiweb.ie/nbi/. As above there may be others however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Can’t modern WiFi handle a total of 1GB with multiple devices connected?

I have my own Wifi 6 Router (Asus) with multiple aerials far better then the network one... Its in the hall downstairs and only one wall between. My PC has a wifi 6 PCIe card rated for 3GBPS.

My Fibre connection gets me 550megs in that distance.. so no unless you have have your PC beside the modem or wired you wont get the gig.

fionny wrote: »
    I have my own Wifi 6 Router (Asus) with multiple aerials far better then the network one... Its in the hall downstairs and only one wall between. My PC has a wifi 6 PCIe card rated for 3GBPS.

My Fibre connection gets me 550megs in that distance.. so no unless you have have your PC beside the modem or wired you wont get the gig.

Yes but can your router handle 2 devices at 500 Mb?

Yes but can your router handle 2 devices at 500 Mb?

Seems like no is the answer, just did phone and PC at same time... phone started first so sucked in about 350meg when pc started and got stuck about 200meg...

Wifi is not there yet for gigabyte and unless you can wire in its actually a waste of money.

Seems like no is the answer, just did phone and PC at same time... phone started first so sucked in about 350meg when pc started and got stuck about 200meg...

Wifi is not there yet for gigabyte and unless you can wire in its actually a waste of money.

Really considering getting the house wired with cat7 and a switch when I get the electrics rewired later in the year.

Really considering getting the house wired with cat7 and a switch when I get the electrics rewired later in the year.

Do it! It will suffice for a long time to come as CAT 7 is 25gig and even for Mesh wifi in the house you would have a wired backhaul meaning best possible wifi speeds..

If I was rewiring I would deffo get it done provided cost wasnt astronomical.

Realistically get it to where you fibre comes in, maybe to sitting room for TV stuff and to any home office.

Have at least 2 points on each floor would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Am I right in saying that Pure have good customer service as well as being the cheapest at the moment?

Sneachta wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Pure have good customer service as well as being the cheapest at the moment?

Im only with them a very short period of time but i've found them very responsive and understanding and not had to wait long on the phone etc...

Sky you could be 1 hour waiting to speak to someone if you were lucky and they treat you like an iditio.

VF have gone to the dogs, their support is useless, unhelpful and some of them will actually outright lie to you (Claimed that if my father in law left their SIRO offering they would come and take the fibre out of the wall and he'd never be connected again, I **** you not)

So ya so far I am happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Im only with them a very short period of time but i've found them very responsive and understanding and not had to wait long on the phone etc...

Sky you could be 1 hour waiting to speak to someone if you were lucky and they treat you like an iditio.

VF have gone to the dogs, their support is useless, unhelpful and some of them will actually outright lie to you (Claimed that if my father in law left their SIRO offering they would come and take the fibre out of the wall and he'd never be connected again, I **** you not)

So ya so far I am happy with them

Great answer. Thanks very much appreciate it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will be cancelling my Eir order today, as they still have a forecast date of the 29th of March to get their Civils team to do the work, and any time i call they say "it should be done by the 29th, but we can't confirm that"...**** that. Will get the ducting done this weekend with a local guy.

I'll then call Pure and Vodafone later today, to see who can get KN out to me quicker. Whoever gets them to me first gets my business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Are there any ISP's that do the coaxial cable to house anymore?

Reason i'm asking is that i'm with Vodafone - partial fiber but have a DSL line from house to cabinet and internet is flapping.
    Haven't been able to get Vodafone to dispatch ticket to Eir for a line issue.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Are there any ISP's that do the coaxial cable to house anymore?

Reason i'm asking is that i'm with Vodafone - partial fiber but have a DSL line from house to cabinet and internet is flapping.
    Haven't been able to get Vodafone to dispatch ticket to Eir for a line issue.

Virgin is the only one I believe so very limited availability on that outside big cities and towns.

Keep pestering VF with downtime tickets... and hope Fibre is rolled out to you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

I have FTTH with Sky at the moment but I'm having real trouble getting any usable speed in the evenings - its as low as 5 or 6 Mbps. To me it can't be anything but congestion because of high contention rates. If I swap to another provider like Pure or Digiweb will I definitely be on "different" infrastructure at some stage of my fibre line? In other words, are they really selling me a different product or am I likely to see the same issue regardless of who I go with?

WLad wrote: »
    I have FTTH with Sky at the moment but I'm having real trouble getting any usable speed in the evenings - its as low as 5 or 6 Mbps. To me it can't be anything but congestion because of high contention rates. If I swap to another provider like Pure or Digiweb will I definitely be on "different" infrastructure at some stage of my fibre line? In other words, are they really selling me a different product or am I likely to see the same issue regardless of who I go with?

Hmm I dont think Fibre contends with congestion like copper did... are you sure your FTTH and not FTTC? 5-6 megs is really bad,

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Hmm I dont think Fibre contends with congestion like copper did... are you sure your FTTH and not FTTC? 5-6 megs is really bad,

Yeah, its definitely FTTH. I get 460 rock solid all day until 5 or so. From then until about 8pm its 200+ but from 8 til 11 it could be as low as 5 yes.

I've had multiple calls/web chats with Sky but they can't see any issue. Its ethernet tests as well with nothing else on the network. I'm as perplexed as anyone else but it must be congestion.

WLad wrote: »
    Yeah, its definitely FTTH. I get 460 rock solid all day until 5 or so. From then until about 8pm its 200+ but from 8 til 11 it could be as low as 5 yes.

I've had multiple calls/web chats with Sky but they can't see any issue. Its ethernet tests as well with nothing else on the network. I'm as perplexed as anyone else but it must be congestion.

Maybe so! I doubt provider would change anything as they all use same infrastructure (or at least majority of its the same). I found on FTTC the sky modem needed a daily reboot assume youve tried that already but might be worth it.

I wouldnt accept that from Sky, I am so glad to be shot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Wer living in the mountains in tipp, there is a booster station on the hill in sight of our house. How can I find which wireless company would be the best as our phone line hasn't been connected in 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guerillabear

When I moved to Rathmines a few years ago I called up EIR to get myself sorted with some broadband. They said the max speed they could hook me up with was 13MBS download speed, which is obviously terrible. The salesman told me that the infrastructure in that area is the reason for this, and that no other company could do any better.

Rang virgin and they sorted me out with a 100MBS connection.

Be wary of what a broadband salesman might say on the phone - I was really shocked that they would outright lie to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I am thinking of getting SIRO, looking around I seem to land upon Digiweb, not hugly more expensive and from a few calls their call centre were easy to chat to and I asked a very tech question and afew days later got a details email back from tech support.

All seems good, anyone have bad experience with Digiweb?

• Advertisement

When I moved to Rathmines a few years ago I called up EIR to get myself sorted with some broadband. They said the max speed they could hook me up with was 13MBS download speed, which is obviously terrible. The salesman told me that the infrastructure in that area is the reason for this, and that no other company could do any better.

Rang virgin and they sorted me out with a 100MBS connection.

Be wary of what a broadband salesman might say on the phone - I was really shocked that they would outright lie to me.

I guess in his defense he was saying no alternative OPEN EIR provider could do better.. Virgin is entirely different infrastructure and Eir wouldnt have knowledge on that.

Advertisement