Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

jogdish wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting SIRO, looking around I seem to land upon Digiweb, not hugly more expensive and from a few calls their call centre were easy to chat to and I asked a very tech question and afew days later got a details email back from tech support.

All seems good, anyone have bad experience with Digiweb?

Are you kidding? Digiweb are extortionatly priced!

Digiweb Siro 1gb:

24.54 x 4 months = 98.16
    54.05 x 8 months = 432.32
    1 x Activation Fee = 49

579.48 - beware there may also be an INSTALL FEE!

Pure Telecom 500mb

35 x 12 months = 420
    No Activation.

159euro saving

If you did insist on 1gb (waste of money unless you have cabling all over your house)

then it would be

40x12 = 480

still 100euro cheaper.

Vodafone have similar pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

fionny wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Digiweb are extortionatly priced!

Thanks I had miscalculated. I currently have slow Eir (rubbish), Vodafone seem to have crappy support if/when there is an issue - people on here seem okay-ish about pure?

Looking to get broadband and landline (need both), and need a router than can allow me to use my asus router in bridge mode (since I need the landline can't plug it into the ONT). Any advice re the above regards PURE?

jogdish wrote: »
    Thanks I had miscalculated. I currently have slow Eir (rubbish), Vodafone seem to have crappy support if/when there is an issue - people on here seem okay-ish about pure?

Looking to get broadband and landline (need both), and need a router than can allow me to use my asus router in bridge mode (since I need the landline can't plug it into the ONT). Any advice re the above regards PURE?

VF are ****e support for sure.

I moved to Pure very recently and so far quite happy with them, sky is another option for you... Pure give the frizbox which is pretty decent I understand, but unlike you I dont use a landline so have my own Asus router directly in.

You could look at a VOIP option and get either an IP phone or an adaptor (I think those are a thing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

When putting in a new order for first time install of eir FTTH are you given a set time and date when you put in the order or get a call back from openeir fulfillment team to schedule a date/time that suits you/them?

Also if you are given a set date/time do they give an option of changing date/time there and then or do you have to wait until the installer is coming and say it doesn't suit?

Organising a first time FTTH install for a relative and hard to find a time that suits for them and me to be there at the same time.

daraghwal wrote: »
    When putting in a new order for first time install of eir FTTH are you given a set time and date when you put in the order or get a call back from openeir fulfillment team to schedule a date/time that suits you/them?

Also if you are given a set date/time do they give an option of changing date/time there and then or do you have to wait until the installer is coming and say it doesn't suit?

Organising a first time FTTH install for a relative and hard to find a time that suits for them and me to be there at the same time.

If its anything like Pure, they gave me a date via text, you could change this as you needed, Open Eir (KN) also ring the day before to confirm you will be available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Eir gave me an initial date, via text and email. Got a time closer to that date.

6 weeks later, and i still don't have any broadband. Still waiting on Eir to get someone to move the location of their fibre box. Then KN need to come out and do the ducting. Forecast date for the initial work is 29th March. Rang them again today (7th time lucky), and they may be able to get someone out sooner. Have to call back tomorrow evening.

Kiith wrote: »
    Eir gave me an initial date, via text and email. Got a time closer to that date.

6 weeks later, and i still don't have any broadband. Still waiting on Eir to get someone to move the location of their fibre box. Then KN need to come out and do the ducting. Forecast date for the initial work is 29th March. Rang them again today (7th time lucky), and they may be able to get someone out sooner. Have to call back tomorrow evening.

If you need any external "networks" work done the question becomes how long is a piece of string.

If you need any external "networks" work done the question becomes how long is a piece of string.

Tell me about it. I've been getting texts the last week saying the forecast date is still the 29th March, so i called to ask why i keep getting non-updates. 3 phone calls later i was told they would try get the contractor out to me sooner, and to call back yesterday evening.

Called back yesterday evening and this guy told me they can't contact the engineer, and none of their staff can do it. I asked why i was told what i was told the day before, and he said i probably misunderstood. ****in cheek of him :rolleyes: Had enough at that point and asked to speak to a manager/supervisor. Spent 15 minutes repeating that as he told me that he was working from home so there was no manager there. I mean...i didn't think he'd have his manager sitting beside him in his bedroom :pac:

Eventually got him to arrange a call back within 24-48 hours, so we'll see what comes from that.

Tell me about it. I've been getting texts the last week saying the forecast date is still the 29th March, so i called to ask why i keep getting non-updates. 3 phone calls later i was told they would try get the contractor out to me sooner, and to call back yesterday evening.

Called back yesterday evening and this guy told me they can't contact the engineer, and none of their staff can do it. I asked why i was told what i was told the day before, and he said i probably misunderstood. ****in cheek of him :rolleyes: Had enough at that point and asked to speak to a manager/supervisor. Spent 15 minutes repeating that as he told me that he was working from home so there was no manager there. I mean...i didn't think he'd have his manager sitting beside him in his bedroom :pac:

Eventually got him to arrange a call back within 24-48 hours, so we'll see what comes from that.

Fingers crossed... I was really lucky the KN guy who came to me persisted though a "challenging" install but got it done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyone know what SKY 35 are like?

• Advertisement

If anyone is considering Pure Telecom make sure and request a fritz!box router. I meant to do it and forgot to and ended up with a used eir F2000 with a pure telecom logo slapped on the front of it. Even the SSID was eirXXXX-XXXX

If anyone is considering Pure Telecom make sure and request a fritz!box router. I meant to do it and forgot to and ended up with a used eir F2000 with a pure telecom logo slapped on the front of it. Even the SSID was eirXXXX-XXXX

Oh dear! I got fritz without asking but its literally sat in a drawer as using my own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Ah crap. I asked when I ordered and the young chap I spoke to said "Yeah, I'm pretty sure its fritzbox." So I took him at face value. If they send me one of those I'll be requesting a fritzbox instead.

How long did it take from ordering to getting your stuff out of interest? I ordered last Wednesday but I've heard nothing yet and they haven't taken over the line yet.

WLad wrote: »
    Ah crap. I asked when I ordered and the young chap I spoke to said "Yeah, I'm pretty sure its fritzbox." So I took him at face value. If they send me one of those I'll be requesting a fritzbox instead.

How long did it take from ordering to getting your stuff out of interest? I ordered last Wednesday but I've heard nothing yet and they haven't taken over the line yet.

Ordered on Monday
    Text confirming engineer install Tuesday (for install Friday)
    Router comes via DPD (Wednesday or Thursday, not sure)
    Installed Friday Morning.
    Speedtest of 230/50 via wifi on an iPhone 12. Didn't have laptop/ethernet to test unfortunately.

It's not my house, was sorting it out for a relative. All they want it for is an ipad/smart TV all in the same room as the router so won't make much/any difference to them but just said I'd mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oh dear! I got fritz without asking but its literally sat in a drawer as using my own router.

What router are you using out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Looking for a short term contract

Hi guys, apologies if this has been asked and answered here, couldn't find it. Does anyone know of a provider offering short-term contracts? We're going to be renting a place short term between selling/buying, will probably be about 6 months. The house we're looking at can't get virgin but looks like everyone else is ok (I think)

Edit: don't think a mobile plan + router will be sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I'm currently on Adsl and if I renew my contract next month, il be moved over to VDSL although due to distance, speeds will likely remain the same, airwire checker tells me 15_3

I'm just wondering internally will any adjustments need to be made or will it all be done externally? As part fibre still runs from a copper line from the house, I assume any change would be further down at the exchange/cabinet?

Also anyone experience of VDSL quality at 15_3, I'm wondering realistically what I speeds up,down and ping I could expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

So my fritzbox from PURE arrived today and I plugged it in. I'm still seeing Sky as my ISP on speedtest though - does anybody know how long this should take to go to Eir or whoever?

Obviously got nothing back from either the request to speak to a manager, or the complaint i made on their site. They really are the worst company i've ever dealt with.

Fully intended on cancelling with them today, but it seems i'm completely stuck with them for now. Talked to Pure, and their recommendation is to stick with Eir till they carry out the work, then switch to them. I'd be happy to do that, but given my forecast installation date has been pushed out to April 1st, who knows when that will be.

Might try Vodafone, as someone suggested they do fibre from telephone poles, and not via ducting.

Absolutely fed up with this ****e :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Obviously got nothing back from either the request to speak to a manager, or the complaint i made on their site. They really are the worst company i've ever dealt with.

Fully intended on cancelling with them today, but it seems i'm completely stuck with them for now. Talked to Pure, and their recommendation is to stick with Eir till they carry out the work, then switch to them. I'd be happy to do that, but given my forecast installation date has been pushed out to April 1st, who knows when that will be.

Might try Vodafone, as someone suggested they do fibre from telephone poles, and not via ducting.

Absolutely fed up with this ****e :mad:
    I’m not sure why people are ever surprised as Eir anymore. A family member ordered off Sky, KN came out and put the forecast date out by 8 weeks for a duct. The duct was fixed that day but Sky wouldn’t even request it again until the forecast completion date for Civils. She ordered it from Pure in the end and it was installed and operational 5 weeks ahead of the date sky said it would even take. They never cancelled the install from Sky and she was still able to order from Pure so don’t see what there is to stop you ordering from them if you’re ready for connection.

• Advertisement

Yeah, think i'll just go ahead and place an order with Pure and Vodafone. Whoever gets it installed frst gets my business, everyone else gets cancelled during the cooling off period. Any chance that this might backfire on me somehow? And I assume my contract doesn't actually start till my service goes live, yeah? So i have 14 days after its actually done.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Yeah, think i'll just go ahead and place an order with Pure and Vodafone. Whoever gets it installed frst gets my business, everyone else gets cancelled during the cooling off period. Any chance that this might backfire on me somehow? And I assume my contract doesn't actually start till my service goes live, yeah? So i have 14 days after its actually done.

For Pure, it's 14days from activation of service

https://www.puretelecom.ie/cooling-off-cancellation-form

I would either leave it as it is with eir or try Pure. Definitely do not try Vodafone. Their systems for ordering etc seem to be very locked down and anything out of the ordinary (such as in your case if there was multiple orders) could take weeks for them to escalate the issue to someone higher up to get sorted. The only reason I say maybe try pure is I’d be confident their customer service would sort out issues easily. If you go with pure and eir chances are one will be installed and the other will be scheduled as an install too. More than likely the last to put through your order would end up being the provider as the engineer would probably come out as if it’s a new install and just change the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place but I searched for the Eir forum and seen that it is inactive. Just wondering if there are any deals or lesser known offers going by them for long term customers whose contract is ending soon?

Have an elderly parent who is with them, landline and bb deal. They are not interested in changing providers. I've searched online and seen nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

icarus86 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place but I searched for the Eir forum and seen that it is inactive. Just wondering if there are any deals or lesser known offers going by them for long term customers whose contract is ending soon?

Have an elderly parent who is with them, landline and bb deal. They are not interested in changing providers. I've searched online and seen nothing.

www.bonkers.ie
    www.switcher.ie

these have most of the deals, but typically you have to switch provider to get a deal. Their own website best to see what they offer existing customers. I'm sure you know that Eir are bottom of the barrel as providers from a customer service perspective too..

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Waesfjord wrote: »
    www.bonkers.ie
    www.switcher.ie

these have most of the deals, but typically you have to switch provider to get a deal. Their own website best to see what they offer existing customers. I'm sure you know that Eir are bottom of the barrel as providers from a customer service perspective too..

Cheers for the links. Yeah I know all about their reputation. Will see if I can convince them to switch

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

I live in cork city centre. What's the story with the sky 100MB connection?

Is it any good? Can it handle zoom ?

Also, the sales person at virgin media said I could credit my account. Pay more upfront, then less after 6 months when the tariff jumps. Average out my fee in other words.

Does anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hada87

Hi all - living in South Co. Dublin and having woeful amount of problems with Virgin's BB. We connect to work interface through a VPN but I'm averaging about 1 - 2 mbs download which basically means no zoom, constant crashing etc. I'm sitting next to the router, and without the VPN I am averaging decent speeds.

We're due to move house (same area), so desperately seeking recommendations for switching provider that won't make WFH a nightmare through a VPN (or even getting a VPN to work on VM?).

If you are working fine without the VPN, it's probably not your connection, but the company's VPN.

A lot of VPN's are pretty awful with way more people connecting, so it may be one for your network team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

hada87 wrote: »
    Hi all - living in South Co. Dublin and having woeful amount of problems with Virgin's BB. We connect to work interface through a VPN but I'm averaging about 1 - 2 mbs download which basically means no zoom, constant crashing etc. I'm sitting next to the router, and without the VPN I am averaging decent speeds.

We're due to move house (same area), so desperately seeking recommendations for switching provider that won't make WFH a nightmare through a VPN (or even getting a VPN to work on VM?).

what vpn are you using ?

free trial or paid subscription ?

Advertisement