Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I'm moving from virgin 1gig to sky 1gig. Big saving for the first year...

I hear sky signal is shared across a lot of other networks. Is it on a par with Virgin? Heavy use house here...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TomCor1

I've just moved into a house in Donegal, not very rural but the Internet providers are telling me they can't provide internet to my eircode. Have called 6 or 7 of the Irish providers with no luck.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'm planning to work from home shortly so hoping to get it sorted ASAP.

I have been informed that Eir may provide a line for me, but I'd imaging this could take awhile. There is also a satellite on the house and I believe there may be an option here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Eir are only obliged to provide a line provided the cost doesn't exceed €1,000.

USO - https://www.comreg.ie/advice-information/universal-service-obligations/

Regarding satellite internet, Starlink is a good option but expensive. Others like Konnect and Viasat's Ka Sat are also available cheaper but with lower speeds, capped downloads, higher latency.

Is 4g or 5g mobile internet available in your area? Might be a better option if the phone line is a good distance from the local exchange.

I was chatting with Eir and he said none of my neighbours have fibre direct, but that he is going to put in a request for my address to the system, he says this takes about 2/3 days and once approved is usually takes 5 days to be installed. I won't hold my breath but this would be ideal. Thanks for your message. Separately, I looked up the satellite options and Konnect seems the most practical.

We do have 4g mobile internet in the house, however I don't seem to have a phone line.

• Advertisement

What does the NBI checker say for your eircode?

It says 'Survey Planned in this deployment area'.

It also says 'Your nearest Broadband Connection Point is 1.42km'.

It also says 'Anticipated date for connection: January 2023 - December 2024' :(

So you are in an NBP intervention area, is there eir FTTH nearby or is it "fibre" over the copper line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

So out of interest any of ye around the Killavullen area of Cork? I’ve been with nova for I think 6 years now but the night time speeds just continue to get worse. Is there any option that would be better. I’ve heard awful Things about imagine and 4g too.

Ive thought about starlink but the monthly fee is too expensive, around 60€ is the max I’d pay rn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What is the mobile phone signal like in your area? I had to move from Eir because of copper degradation in my line and they refused to replace it...

I had a good 4G signal with 3 mobile (Vodafone and other mobile signals in my area were very poor), so I took the plunge and got a 3 mobile router and I'm thrilled with it. Best speed I could get with Eir was 7.5Mbps, now I have an average speed of 30Mbps, sometimes up to 60 Mbps :) It ended up being significantly cheaper than Eir too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I have a query of my own. I'm in the NBP area and we are scheduled for connection in Q1-Q2 2022. Are the Broadband providers charging extra for those who have an NBP Connection or are they charging the same as for customers on their own fibre?

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. So I followed up with Eir after not hearing back and got chatting to a competent employee, she basically said I was led astray by the last rep who said he was asking for fibre direct to be requested for my address. I'm in an NBP invention area where 'Anticipated date for connection: January 2023 - December 2024'. And this new rep has told me it's extremely unlikely they'd make an exception for me before this date.

So that leaves me with the options of satellite or a mobile router. I know very little about either but out of convenience I might try the router. My 4g at the house is decent, can be intermittent at times. We do however use the mobile hotspot to watch netflix etc and it works well in general.

I'll pop to my local 3 store to suss it out - a cooling off period would be ideal to see how it works but I doubt this is available?

Thanks again, Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

Hello all,

At the moment I get VDSL from Pure Telecom and get around 90MBit on a good day. Sadly Virgin is not available on my street though 10 metres around the corner it is. Anyway I've seen people putting down fibre optics in various places in Tullamore, Offaly, including outside my home. I checked OpenEir and it says I can avail of 1Gbit FTTH. But Bonkers or any service of the usual service providers say it's available.

Does anyone have any info on who these new cables are for and if there is a lead time between say OpenEir saying gigabit is available but the service providers upgrading to that?

BR,

JP

Can you clarify, it's available or not available? Your post indicates it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Hi,

Moved to a new build house in Dublin last year. It was wired for virgin media so we just signed up for that. The contract is up in early December. We are looking to either get a new contract with virgin or move to another. Virgin points are already wired in the house . I am not mad about getting the walls drilled again. Also not 100% sure that the others are wired into the development. Is there any chance virgin will give a decent price on a new contract? Is it mich hassle to get another providers points into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

I'm living in Turloughmore, Galway. Currently with Eir BB but want FTTH. Family of 5, netflix, Xbox, 3 mobiles, laptop all could be on the go at the same time. Up to 150MB, 500MB or 1GB speed- I'm thinking 500 should be enough, no need for 1GB. Or would the up to 150MB suffice?

Probably looking at moving to Sky, cheaper than Eir & easier to contact Support. Other option is Vodafone.

Thanks,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Is there a separate thread on broadband pricing? I've reached the end of a 12-month contract with Vodafone - have FTTH 500 Fibre and landline. Was paying €31.46 for last 12 months, now gone to €66.46 as I'm out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Hi all.

Where I am for reasons to boring to go into won't allow fibre and to a lesser extent siro as new landlord very old fashioned when it comes to the internet.

Is their any alternative....eg plug in and go?

Rural wifi offer this but very expensive.

Where are you located?

What's the 4g like in your area? Is 5g available in your area?

4g/5g router might be an option.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

looking to switch my SIRO from Sky to [provider] looking at Pure Telecom atm, but not certain who to go with.

any suggestions? In Wexford.

just to add - 1gbps and it must be SIRO I don’t have Eir FTTH available!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Looking to leave Sky Broadband but keep Sky/Sky Q service.

Started on a 55 per month all in offer nearly 2 years ago so I'm out of contract.

Signal/Speed in our apartment has been poor, and the service received whilst it was being installed made my mild mannered blood BOIL.

Sky are absolutely lovely on the phone of course, and the survey at the end of each call doesn't give you the option to rate anything other than the lovely empty promises that they've just made.

Kilcock area here if anyone has any advice, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Anyone here know how to get Eir and Vodafone to update their databases to match Openeir?

Or can you order FTTH from openeir directly.

So I went on to the openeir map and put in my sisters eircode because there have been FTTH reels on the poles outside her house for the last 9 months. He next door neighbor has 500Mbps FTTH as does the house across the road.

All good you would think.

Go on to Vodafones site and pop in the eircode and it says fixed line not available but they do have mobile broadband.

Go to Eir and put the address in and it says not available.

Can you contact openeir to get them to order your broadband once you are on their map?

Or are there any other options to get Vodafone and Eir to update their databases?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Spooch

Very interested if there's an answer to this, in the same situation myself and feeling quite hopeless about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Starlink

STARLINK

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Samsotee

Hello,

I have a question regarding my apartment. I have searched on the SIRO website and providers like Vodadfone and all have confirmed that I do have fibre available. My issue is that I am a tenant and I don't want to mess around with getting providers over and them wanting to drill through walls. My question is, is there a way I can tell if fibre is wired in to my apartment? It's a ground floor apartment in an apartment building.

The only connections I see is a telephone cable outlet (RJ11 I think) could this be fibre? Also an f-type connector coax connection with a virgin symbol on it.

I have 4g mobile broadband but only getting 5-10mbps so if there is fibre available I'd like to make use of it. The landlord is not technically minded and just keeps saying to get virgin. I want to get vodafone becuase it's way cheaper though. I think I will get someone from vodafone over to the apartment to advise on how I can get broadband and turn them away if they get the drill out. If they do have to drill then maybe I will have to get the landlord involved.

Any advice would be appreciated! Sorry if there is a lack of detail or I posted in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

similar situation - although Vodafone have offered a €40 a month rate to stay, I'm considering Sky as the cost is rolled up with the TV service - any advice or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Advertisement