Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

if there’s no SIRO ONT box on the wall, then no it’s not wired for SIRO. I guess you’re supposed to ask for permission to get it installed.. I never have. 😂

The wiring job is minimal anyway, plus, I definitely don’t think virgin is the way to go anyway. They’re not just expensive they’re basically rubbish. Get the SIRO let them drill some holes, it’s not a big deal honestly. Just another white box on the wall.

I did ask the installer at the time if he’d replace my phone like socket with the SIRO ONT (no particular reason, I just wasn’t gonna be using it and it was less wall clutter) but he said he cannot do that it needed to be placed on a fresh part of the wall. Now maybe my lad was just mad for the drill, but that’s a way of going with it also.

As for your plan to get someone round and send them packing when they reach for Dewalt, just don’t. Imagine booking an appointment only to send them off if they need to drill a hole, which is almost a foregone conclusion. Just don’t waste the guys time. If you want SIRO, trust me, they’ll need do some some very minor internal and perhaps external drilling. Why would the landlord be so worried anyway if he’s already had an Eir line & Virgin Coax line installed?

edit: this is the ONT

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Samsotee

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! Yeah I figured as much about getting the SIRO connection. I think I will ask the landlord. I don't see why there would be an issue. Suppose it could even add value to the flat but you never know.

The funny thing about this apartment is that the landlord is actually the developer. But I have to make contact through a letting agent so it's a pain in the arse. I'd say it's a no brainer for the landlord but the letting agent has no idea what I'm on about. Anyway that's my problem.

I'm also wondering if I could just get conventional vodafone broadband through the existing DSL/RJ11 port in the wall?

Yes, you’re almost certainly able to get FFTC (up to 100mbps) but the line may be capped at up to 24mbps.

You can ask Vodafone to run a line check anyway they’ll tell you fairly accurately what your max line speed is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Samsotee

Thanks, Yeah FFTC would be great. Don't really need fibre speeds tbh but I've asked anyway. I can post an update when I get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niallniall

Hi Kannon,

I totally understand your situation, I am in a similar position to yours. Over the last few years I have questioned Eir, but you get the same old rhetoric from the help line. I just pestered Eir with calls and facebook messages, had an Enioneer call out regularly and eventually had my signal set to its maximum possile for the set up available.

I usually got the same Engineer who really understood the problems. My neighbours were accepting of their situsation and you would be amazed the amount of people who accept the norm and never question the poor service.

I now really believe that Eir and the other suppliers know the the majority of ther customers accept the service provided. My argument with Eir was always about the promise that I should get up to 50Mb for my plan. I eventually got up to the high 30's+ which the Engineer said was the best available until the new roll out comes to my area where up to 500mB will be the norm.

I suppose my advice to you is to keep pestering your supplier and do not accept your situation. The Engineer can tell you what the maximun internet signal your lines are capable of and he should be able, like mine, to get you up to that level. Really the Engineer in your area is the best course of action. You should not accept anything less. All the other providers only piggy back on the Eir infrastructur,e so do not be fooled by their claims. If you cannot get it improved through your existing set up, nothing will change.

Best of luck with your attempts.

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hi folks. I'm coming to the end of my contract with Eir. I'm paying €35 a month for 100MB, but only get about 30MB. I live in Dublin 7 - does anyone know what the best option would be for a faster connection without paying a fortune? Virgin have 250MB and 500MB at €30 and €41 a month, which is fine, but they double in price after six months, which is too expensive. Are there any other options or will other providers be using the same line as Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

So, I'm paying Virgin €65.99 for 240Mb And Anytime World, and have the usual problems with Virgin. My neighbour just got Three 5G broadband into the house and is getting faster speeds than my Virgin 5Ghz, and they haven't even put the antenna on the roof yet. He's getting it for €30 a month (normally €39, but got a discount as they have a Three phone in the house). I'm thinking of telling Virgin to stuff it. They'll likely offer a discount to stay, but I'm looking for some sound advice from your good selves here. Dublin 13 area. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Anyone here have first hand experience of Blacknight vs EURONA vs DIGIWEB for SIRO?

Good few flagged as providers, most don’t recognise my ear code but the 3 above all seem to indicate I could go with them. Figure 500M is more than enough, fair increase on the 23 I currently get with Magnet, but in fairness Magnet has played a blinder in terms of upping my speed from the initial 2M over the last few years.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭faughs

Hey guys,

have just purchased a home in dromiskin. Have been in Dublin the last 12 years and been spoilt for choice with fibre broadband. Any idea what best provider would be here? I’m getting conflicting results from eir staff regarding the fibre options, Vodafone say it’s wireless dongle only and regional broadband have offered to install a roof box. Any ideas what we should do? My wife will be working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Starlink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi all, I've been informed that under the NBI program, fibre broadband is now available to me.

Can anyone advise which provider I should go for from a choice of Vodafone or Digiweb?

Both are offering 1Gbps speeds for very similar prices once the special introductory deal is over.

In either case, I'll be looking for internet only, so not interested in any phone or TV packages.

Sky aren't an option in my area and the website of some of the less well known, smaller providers don't fill me with confidence.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I’m in a similar boat - here are my experiences

1. Tried to sign up with Vodafone. - after a month post sign up with no communication I rang 1907 (after first getting my acct number from twitter…) - 1st rep put me on hold for over 5 minutes so I rang back, 2nd rep lied to me, tried to spin me a yarn about getting the line released from the old provider - good luck there - its a new line, promised I’d be contacted within a week, one week to the day no communication…. So I cancelled.
    2. Then went with Three 5G (seems like a good price), placed the order on Tuesday over chat, on Wed I got an email telling me my order was cancelled. So I got in touch again, was told they were out of stock and advised that I should have ordered through the chat (I did) instead of online… I might give them a shot again
    3. Currently considering Sky vs 3 (5G) but am waiting to hear from Magnet first, they aren’t listed but they’ve got the best price to speed just for the net… Fingers crossed 3rd time lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Offspring

I'm getting ready to close on a house in Prosperous, Co. Kildare. Looking at all of the broadband providers, nothing is available. SIRO doesn't know about my Eircode, but they offer broadband in the village. Airwave says I can get FTTC, then vDSL from there but no FTTH.

Since it's a brand new build, and I can get FTTC is there something I could do where I can pay or get a provider to pay to go from the cabinet to my house? The cabinet itself is less than 100m from my front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

I'm trying to find out some information as regards cable entry into my house. SIRO is available from a number of providers in my area but it's not clear to me whether they would use my existing underground OpenEir duct which is currently used for my copper phone line with VDSL or will they use only the ESB meter box entry point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I was hooked up to NBI last week. I went with Digiweb as I had been with them prior to NBI (through their acquisition of Nova Broadband), and always found them excellent in terms of reliability and customer support. They're not the cheapest, but as I work from home most of the time, reliability and support are major factors for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ok previously had virgin but house needed renovation so out of the house 5 months and now time to shop around

Rang sky but they said no phone line so they would have to install phone first before seeing what they can provide. They asked me if old phone lines into the house is it below, don't think so. Otherwise need to check with electrician

also take it that cost me for them to install phone first before checking or how does it work?

Siro not available and Eir I just keep hearing bad things about.

Virgin seems to be best option but want to see what other prices I can get before trying to get deal with them

Was a loyalty customer with them before renovation so take it I loose that?

Any suggestions etc welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Moving into a new house at the end of the month and trying to sort Broadband. I've heard Vodafone is the best in the area but when I put in my Eircode and when I've asked them on chat they've said that the broadband isn't available but I could get the mobile broadband.

I've checked the Eircodes of the houses either side of mine in the estate and it says both of theirs can get in the fibre broadband option, we're in a semi detached house and I know the house we're joined to has the fibre broadband. When I brought this up with the chat on Vodafone they said they would have different infrastructure to us which is why they can have the fibre but we can't?!

That doesn't sound right to me?! We're attached to their house, surely we can get the same internet as them? Has anyone had an issue like this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Moved to an area outside Loughrea in Galway. Fibre broadband is 12-18 months away so it's going to be mobile broadband for a while.

Can anyone suggest a carrier that will give decent speeds and can handle multiple devices. Coming from a fairly well connected smart home with lots of speakers, lights, cameras etc. I know that's not going to be catered for with mobile broadband but looking for the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m with Vodafone siro for few years. Haven’t tried to move cause worked grand and didn’t want to upset the apple cart. It’s 60pm, is it worth shopping arround or best to stay where it’s worked?

(see some issues some have when they move providers , I work from home and don’t want any broadband issues)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

That sounds like you are out of contract and paying the rolling monthly charge. Have you tried ringing Vodafone, they will usually do deals if you re-contract for another 12 months. I recently did that and got €45 a month for 1gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

their customer service is absolutely shocking.,

i renewed in january

feb got disconnected/cutoff bills paid- glitch in system

sorted it out eventually after hours on phone with india

got cutoff again in march

enough was enough.

i decided to cut them off besides hearing more guff from them.

moved to 4G LTE with gomo sim.

now looking for another provider as 120gb per month just aint enough nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JFK2012

Hi, I have had sky broadband FTTH 500mb for the past 18 months. It has been ideal but after 12 months the price increased from 30 to 60 euro. Looking to change due to the price difference of other providers. Both eir and vodafone have offered better deals. They both say they can provide the same service (500mb) for less.

My question is, because its fibre to the home, does it matter the service provider? Are they using the same infrastructure? Or am i crazy to think that?

Is it a lot of hassle to change over?

Will there be down time, double paying?

All info on the above would be very much appreciated.

It depends on who owns the fibre, and whether the provider has an agreement in place with them.

The fibre networks are run by:

OpenEir, Siro and NBI

Then individual ISPs sign agreements with one or more of the above to offer their services on those networks.

So the service provider does matter! But the reality is the big providers have agreements in place with all of the Fibre networks (You can use Vodafone on OpenEir/Sire and NBI for example)

I don't know about changing over, or double-paying TBH, but each provider usually has their own customer premise equipment, so I'd imaging there will have to be some downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stiofani

Hi,

I'm from Cork but live primarily in the USA at the moment. We have a house in Cork which we will stay in for ~ 1 to 2 months / year.

Are there any options for broadband on short term contracts or pay as you go?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Can anybody tell me if Eir need to drill the wall if signing up to their broadband. Their €35 a month for 500mb looks enticing. Currently with Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Probably, to get the fibre inside, possibly less than 10mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I could not change to Eir as it would be old telephone line and 100mbps only.

I was leaving Virgin with 240mbps as bill was going to be just under E70.

Getting new contract as they mentioned 500mbps , lose house phone , and add mobile sim for E5 for 5 months all for E60.

Been with Vm for many years and Vodafone paying E36 a month and its a nice saving.

Check your location on eir to see if you can get fibre in your area and dont assume you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

VM informed us our bill is going up to 64 quid a month on the 250mb package. Time to move, Vodafone and Pure Telecom are offering 500mb fibre for 35 a month for the first year. Who should I choose? Any pros and cons for each? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Check your area can get 500mb as our area cannot use their faster stuff as not upgraded even though i am on 260 with VM.

My bill was going up to under 70 with the increase and got them to drop price for losing home phone and getting a mobile sim card also.

Advertisement