Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

In much the same boat as yourself. Seeing Pure, Sky and Vodafone all with the same offer (500mb for €35 p/m) but not much idea which is preferable. Any recommendations on which is best would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

Should you not do both, in two successive years? That's the situation I'm considering. I've seen OK reports of both Vodafone and Pure, you can be unlucky and have setup problems with either. In my case Vfone screwed up my initial installation, and by way of apology they gave me 1000Mb FTTH for €35 for the first 12 months. Due to go up to €75 next month. No way, I'm paying that. Fortunately I don't need 1000Mb, nor do I need their land line offer, so I can get them down to €60. But why pay even that if Pure will do their €35 introductory offer for switching? And since Pure's renewal price after year one is €55, why would I ever go back to Vfone. On the other hand, could I save myself the hassle by telling Vodafone I'll stay with them for another 12 months of €35 and €60 thereafter -- anyone know if they'll entertain haggling like this? If they don't they risk losing a customer forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I recently bought a new build house in the south of Drogheda. It comes pre-wired for Conway TV and broadband but the service seems very variable and doesn't provide a routable IPv4 address. So I won't be keeping it on past their trial period.

The Airwire checker is reporting nothing but VDSL at the address. Digiweb are only offering me satellite. So it looks like there's no SIRO/Eir FTTH at all. Virgin Media is available though; I've had a frosty relationship with them in the past but will rejoin if I have to. How are VM supplying service in new estates now, is it still HFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Has anyone got the three 5g broadband at home? As in the aerial installed and a router inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Got it installed today. Getting over 200mb download and around 50mb upload.

Had starlink which worked great for me. But saving 60 euro a month now with Three 5g BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m with Vodafone siro at 60e per month. Don’t know what speed it is but it’s enough for what I want. they were calling me to try and strike a deal before I went on holidays and I told them to call me when I returned. Who else supplied siro and anybody any suggestions on where to shop around or good deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

If you don't mind me asking, are you living in a rural or urban area. And was the installation awkward. I only ask because I've only been told I was getting a "tech install" and that I had 5g coverage.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Live just between clane and prosperous towns. Installation was very easy. They used a device to find the best place for reception and then ran cable into house from there. 2 power points required also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lots of KNcircet vans and workers in our town this week ,seems they are erecting poles.

Could we be finally getting something faster than 100mb VDSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeirdreMalone

Hopefully getting Starlink soon. EIR is terrible in my area and I think it's juts our lane that has 2Mbit Download (yes!! We pay for 20Mbit). They can't tell us when we can expect Fibre....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 TraderTom91

In May 2020 I had a SIRO installer in my area. He said about running a cable from a box to my home and he would have to lay a line through my garden. I did not care about that. I said yes I am very interested and it would help my neighbours getting connected too. The installer said great, they will work on that.

Have not seen him since. The row of houses above us have it. The row of houses below us have it. Our little group of six houses do not. Very infuriating as I have been excited for SIRO since 2016 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Just got ifa fth installed but it says my isp is eir and router I'd the f2000 . Do ifa just resell eir ? Only reason I signed up was I thought I was not using eir..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Eir is not on the Siro page as a supplier. Does that mean if I switch to Eir I won't be using the same connection I have now with Sky ( 500mb),

I need to move from Sky as they are charging 60 euro now for just broadband. I can't believe how hard it is to make a decision to save 25 euro a month but I am afraid to move to some bad service. I live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

So here we are. Out of contract next month with VM. at present looking at €65-70 x month (boradband only. 250Mb). working from home still, so badly needed. I was hoping to get rid of phone and maybe move to Digiweb (via Siro) but not available at my address in Galway. Not sure if VM will play the "i cancel and switch" and give me a better dea. Want to stay away from Eir. what option do I have for 250/500 Mb? nor sure about Vodafone

Don't trust the siro site to check if it's available at your address. I have siro six months and it still says it's unavailable at my address.

Hi,

well they said the Siro isn't available but they do have these offers

100% Fibre to the Home Connection

500Mbps Download Speed

Unlimited Broadband * (3 TB/month)

Available to new customers at €29.95 per month for 3 months (€54.95 per month for balance of 12 month contract)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So this work is now complete and we got notification during the work of power outages to facilitate fibre rollout, any ideas who these guys work for?

They were accompanied by ESB crews, does this mean they are rolling out SIRO?

Still nothing on the SIRO website about us having anything faster than our current VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

Is it possible to compare these 2 services?

I currently have Virgin Naked 500Mb paying €80 per month, One Big Switch have an offer on Sky Ultrafast - 500MB FTTH Broadband for €30 per month.

Will Sky provide the same speed I currently get from Virgin?? We have 3 people using BB, all our TV is on NowTV and Firestick, teenager on Xbox and streaming TV at the same time.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I genuinely don’t know and trawling through other posts doesn’t help.

• Advertisement

Hi.

We have closed on a new-build in a development and are searching broadband options. The builder informed us of provider options, but when we call the provider they can not find our address on the system.

Is there something we need to set up first?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Has your house got an eircode? If it has then you can check availability on the various providers websites yourself.

It has. It shows up on An Post system no problem, but says invalid eircode when entered on virgin media website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Similar to this recent thread - no eircode on google amps — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin', specifically this post no eircode on google amps — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Looks like a new ARD ID (address reference database ID) has to be generated and matched to your eircode, see page 28 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Get onto eir live chat and ask them to request that open eir put your eircode onto their system. Try putting your neighbours eircode into the checker on the eir website first and it will tell you if fibre is available to you. If not virgin media might have it available to you if you are in a town but will most likely be a waiting game (possibly months) until they add your eircode into their database unless you contact them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭toxicloan365

yes, great equipment and great service, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone know what Vodafone charge after the first year at €35 ? I am currently with Vodafone & paying €45, now increasing to €50 for FTTC & getting around 50 mb. I find the speed sufficient & wouldn't want to spend a lot more.

By the way I have paper billing, which suits me. Will Voda let that continue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Our broadband has gone really slow lately but I think it's time to change anyway. We're with Virgin for years now. The router is a Technicolor one.

We actually have a bit of choice now as Eir recently dropped in a leaflet for 'Gigabit Fibre'. The other companies, like Vodafone, who use the same connection are also available now, obviously.

I was thinking of cancelling VM and signing up again in my wife's name. We're paying €71 a month now for 240Mb and home phone but we rarely use the home phone so don't mind if the next package does not have one.

Signing up with VM in my wife's name we can get 500Mb for €45 a month (€70 after 12 months). I think that would just involve a new router and no new wiring?

bonkers.ie recommend Eir at €35 a month for 12 months. Then it goes to €75.99 a month. Would Eir have to drill into the house? We have internal insulation so not sure how messy that installation will be?

Onebigswitch have Sky with 500Mb for €30 a month and 1Gb for €40 a month. They go to €60 and €70 after 12 months.

Do any of the companies have decent customer service too? They all seem shocking from reading online. Suppose people with a good experience don't tend to talk about it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

The best network is Eir.

Customer service is hit and miss, but as the service is very reliable you won't really have to deal with them often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have Vodafone 500mb FTTH since April. It's costing me €30 pm for first 12 months & installation was free. It's rock steady & I haven't had any reason to engage with their customer support since installation.

Advertisement