Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ILoveGreen

Hi,

I'm currently a UPC customer but am moving apartment (along James's Street) and broadband currently isn't on offer there, only tv. I asked a few different customer services reps did they have any idea if there was an upgrade in the works; 1 rep told me no, another told me to check the map online, the 3rd told me that the map online was accurate as it was out of date and the 4th told me that they would arrange a callback from the guys on the road to have a chat (never got the call)

Does anyone have an idea the schedule of their upgrade works?? The manager of the new building i'm moving to said that some men from UPC had been out making a list of items that needed to be upgraded, and he thought it might be January, but now i'm completely confused.

I just don't want to get into a 12 mth contract with another provider and then learn that UPC have fitted the building in Jan.

Any help/advice would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Hi,

I have no phoneline in the house but I would like to get broadband. The landlord would prefer for us not to install a phoneline.

I use my PC for gaming so I need good speeds. What are the best options in terms of wireless broadband?

I live in Donnybrook by the way. I just went to www.getbroadband.ie to check what is in the area. Even though they are not wireless, it says UPC are in the area but I rang them and they're not.

The wireless ones in the area it says are wimax and digiweb. Any opinions on these? I assume you need a phoneline for these?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alt_M

Kannon wrote: »
    Hi,

I have no phoneline in the house but I would like to get broadband. The landlord would prefer for us not to install a phoneline.

I use my PC for gaming so I need good speeds. What are the best options in terms of wireless broadband?

I live in Donnybrook by the way. I just went to www.getbroadband.ie to check what is in the area. Even though they are not wireless, it says UPC are in the area but I rang them and they're not.

The wireless ones in the area it says are wimax and digiweb. Any opinions on these? I assume you need a phoneline for these?

Thanks.

You dont need a phone line for them, however for digiweb you do need a antenna (kinda just like getting a sky dish). WiMAX requires nothing but their modem but it definitely wouldn't be a good choice for gaming. Was only asking someone i know about this earlier. He knows people who work for WiMAX and even they steer clear of it.

Digiweb would be your best bet but there is still some installation.

Alt_M wrote: »
    ****Advice needed!!***

Hey Guys,

So I'm moving to the Hampton Lodge apartments in Drumcondra (off griffith ave.)

There's no UPC (landlord said something about Smart having wired to building for themselves only...)

Is that my only option? Will I have to go with Smart? and if so... what is their service like around that area?

P.S. If anyone knows what Magnet is like around there also that would be awesome!

Cheers

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Walshclan

DO YOU BELIEVE THESE GUYS??????????????? My Internet and phone just stopped working at 09h00 today (Saturday). I phoned Wimax Technical Support. "Sorry, our technical support offices are only open Monday to Friday". WHAT THE **** DO I DO WITHOUT CONNECTIVITY THE WHOLE WEEKEND? NO PHONE, NO INTERNET, a son who is at college with lots to do this weekend and unable to connect to his courseware. DON'T GO NEAR THIS BUNCH OF WASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Walshclan wrote: »
    DO YOU BELIEVE THESE GUYS??????????????? My Internet and phone just stopped working at 09h00 today (Saturday). I phoned Wimax Technical Support. "Sorry, our technical support offices are only open Monday to Friday". WHAT THE **** DO I DO WITHOUT CONNECTIVITY THE WHOLE WEEKEND? NO PHONE, NO INTERNET, a son who is at college with lots to do this weekend and unable to connect to his courseware. DON'T GO NEAR THIS BUNCH OF WASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazingly poor service from a company that claims to have the best interests of its customers at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bistrita

Hi,

We are an organisation that requires high quality broadband services, specialy for uploading.

The offices are in Damastown Green (off Damastown Road) not far away from IBM Damastown or lots of industrial companies. Distance from built-up areas is about 2 miles from Clonee Village, 1 mile from Littlepace or Mulhuddart (Ladyswell).

At present both Eircom, Digiweb and Magnet are only offering maximum 512kbs upload. There is an Eircom phone line 01 880xxxxx available on the site.

We would require at least (constant and effective 3-4 Mbs upload speed) while the download of 10 Mbs would be sufficient. The company requires the high upload speed for online videostreaming.

The price would not be a problem if the delivered upload speed is provided as agreed.

I have researched online but nothing found. Your help would be welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

bistrita wrote: »
    Hi,

We are an organisation that requires high quality broadband services, specialy for uploading.

The offices are in Damastown Green (off Damastown Road) not far away from IBM Damastown or lots of industrial companies. Distance from built-up areas is about 2 miles from Clonee Village, 1 mile from Littlepace or Mulhuddart (Ladyswell).

At present both Eircom, Digiweb and Magnet are only offering maximum 512kbs upload. There is an Eircom phone line 01 880xxxxx available on the site.

We would require at least (constant and effective 3-4 Mbs upload speed) while the download of 10 Mbs would be sufficient. The company requires the high upload speed for online videostreaming.

The price would not be a problem if the delivered upload speed is provided as agreed.

I have researched online but nothing found. Your help would be welcomed.
    One word.... move, you won't get what you require where you are located, in fact, you will be hard pushed to get it anywhere in Ireland, unless you are located near fibre, what you need is 10Mb I.P. transit, and expect to pay between €600 and €1200 per month plus V.A.T for it, plus a setup cost of about €3000

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Best recommendation is to move. I you can't I would contact eNet about their Antenna Space product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Apparently my line can take a max of 1mb.......which is awful considering I know people in far more rural area's than myself and there lines are capable of more. Is there anything at all to be done? Can a new better line be installed? If so, how much?

1644798345.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hey

i'm in the Uk and ok with my broadband

but I'm home for the holidays and my mum wants to change providers

she lives in thurles tipperary and is with eircom at the moment, but has been messed around in that she cant get her phone to work ever and only the boardband works.

That + wanting to go wireless she has been pushingme to get the process started to change to imagine (who look dodgy to me)

Is there anyone else in the thurles area people can recommend or should I just shout at Eircom to sort out the phone issue and buy a wireless modem for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Lol there's a reason why eircom has 2 stars on speedtest...

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Hey

she lives in thurles tipperary and is with eircom at the moment, but has been messed around in that she cant get her phone to work ever and only the boardband works.

That + wanting to go wireless she has been pushingme to get the process started to change to imagine (who look dodgy to me)

Is there anyone else in the thurles area people can recommend or should I just shout at Eircom to sort out the phone issue and buy a wireless modem for her?

Well even if you can get imagine in Thurles.. I wouldn't. Its not the best service.. even in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Alt_M, are u on DSL through the phone line?

Alt_M, are u on DSL through the phone line?

Nope, sorry. I'm talking about their WiMax service. Can't comment on the DSL.

If your looking at wireless though maybe Digiweb? They have a wireless dish service that's not suppose to be that bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Hey

Some that I know with Wimax in Thurles seem happy enough. If it was available where I live (the Jockey) I'd definitely give it a try.

There are, however, other alternatives to eircom in the town; for list of available services check out: https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-broadband/tipperary/broadband-in-thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I'm just outside Dundalk - currently with Eircom on a 2mb service but as my recent speed tests show it can be 1.7mb but more likely to be sub 0.6mb.

Are there other options in the area that are reliable and a lot faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Can anyone recommend someone in Drogheda that isn't Eircom, WiMax or BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I'm currently living in the country with an o2 bill pay dongle which gets pretty decent speeds considering what it is and how much we pay per month, I can be on xbox live and skype at the same time with 0 lag.
    I'm moving to Loughrea soon and the speeds with this dongle is the total opposite, I was lucky to get on boards with it!!
    My question is can someone tell me who is available in this area? Eircom is one I know of but I only ever hear bad stuff about them not to mention horrible hidden charges they seem to spring on people...they'll be my last resort, much appreciated for any help received!
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gmcg

SOS Maynooth Broadband

I have WiMax witch im sure your all aware is a load of BS!! only for I have contacted them and gave out my internet is allowing me to browse,
    I want to get Vodafone home phone and broadband but my land line is piped but not connected, one rep said as long as its piped they can connect me then another said it has to be active?!?
    - I dont want to sign up to Eircom!
    - I want internet that connects to the landline?
    - Can any one help??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Hello all

I'm living in Islandbridge Dublin 8 and after trying O2, 3 and UPC, the only people I could get to provide a decent Broadband service in the apartment is a dodgepot crowd from Tyrone called Sky Conway. I've had multi problems with their BB, with them, their customer service is shocking (not to mention ignorant) and their IP is in NI, thus when i try to go on ebay, it tells me that i'm trying to log in from a sanctioned country! I can't even watch RTE player properly because of this. Plus Sky Conway have a shocking tv channel service. There's barely one decent channel in there.
    Anyway, i digress.
    Sky Conway appear to have some sort of monopoly on the apartments i live in. This is part of the problem and i'd like to sign up to another provider if possible.

I heard an advert on Newstalk recently for some new Irish broadband provider who say they work absolutely anywhere and everywhere in Ireland. Can't recall their name though. It wasn't Niall Quinns BB by the way!

So, I am thinking of asking UPC would they please please please try to install their BB again (they checked the area before and confirmed they couldn't). It goes to show how taken for granted a good provider is... in my case anyway.

In conclusion, if anyone can recommend a new BB provider I would love to
    hear about it

Apologies for my Sky Conway rant, but i'm sure their name has popped up before for all the wrong reasons :(

@Drugness, is it Wimax your talking about? www.imagine.ie are the only ones I know of that are almost everywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

@cornsnakekeeper. I'm not sure if thats the one, but i'd be happy to give them a try if you think they are any good? Haven't heard of them before i must admit. Are they a relatively new company?
    I've just been reading about Magnet BB provider, not sure if they are any use though?

I've never used them myself but I've heard mixed reviews about imagine wimax and I haven't looked into Magnet in over a year as they weren't in my area!

If you can get UPC or Vodafone I would choose them over WiMax or any other so called Broadband. Wimax are good but then if there is bad weather or a tree blows then your signal is reduced.
    Magnet haven't heard a lot about them but they are supposedly good aswell!
    UPC is by far there best at the moment and the cheapest

Drugness wrote: »
    Hello all

I'm living in Islandbridge Dublin 8 and after trying O2, 3 and UPC, the only people I could get to provide a decent Broadband service in the apartment is a dodgepot crowd from Tyrone called Sky Conway. I've had multi problems with their BB, with them, their customer service is shocking (not to mention ignorant) and their IP is in NI, thus when i try to go on ebay, it tells me that i'm trying to log in from a sanctioned country! I can't even watch RTE player properly because of this. Plus Sky Conway have a shocking tv channel service. There's barely one decent channel in there.
    Anyway, i digress.
    Sky Conway appear to have some sort of monopoly on the apartments i live in. This is part of the problem and i'd like to sign up to another provider if possible.

I heard an advert on Newstalk recently for some new Irish broadband provider who say they work absolutely anywhere and everywhere in Ireland. Can't recall their name though. It wasn't Niall Quinns BB by the way!

So, I am thinking of asking UPC would they please please please try to install their BB again (they checked the area before and confirmed they couldn't). It goes to show how taken for granted a good provider is... in my case anyway.

In conclusion, if anyone can recommend a new BB provider I would love to
    hear about it

Apologies for my Sky Conway rant, but i'm sure their name has popped up before for all the wrong reasons :(
    Trying to get BB in apartments can be difficult, you should try UPC http://www.upc.ie/broadband/broadband_explained/
    If you can get it they do TV,Phone,Broadband although personally I dont like there Channel viewing. But this way there should be no external antenna or satellite requirement.
    Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Macronelf wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend someone in Drogheda that isn't Eircom, WiMax or BT?

I am with Vodafone in Drogheda - since over three years - moved away from eircom because of connection problems. It took a long time to get the VF connection sorted but since a year all is fine - have 7MW down and the connection seems quite stable - I still have few unstable moments per day, but the connection usually returns after few minutes.
    Eircom have called few times over the past weeks and are trying to convince me that their new generation DSL would be better and faster than VF for the same money or bit more - dunno if I am interested in changing again. Does anyone have recent experience with Eircom around Drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

so I went along with imagine wi max and they suck carrots! I live beside The Glasshouse and my modem is standing near the window, signal indicator shows high signal reception. But the internet speed is crap, simple browsing get so slow that I have to stop sometimes, not talking about video streaming, wow... so yea, before you do the same mistake and go for wi - shmucks like I did, kick youself in the head and think again ;)

@Drugness if your apartment is wired for just one provider (like mine) you can't get anyone else for fixed line... WiMAx is suppose to be rubbish... if you have to go the wireless route maybe try Digiweb as far as wireless providers go they seem to come recommended

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

Drugness am with Sky Conway broadband 24mb package am getting 19-23mb all the time....and I download ALOT
    Download Speed: 19963 kbps (2495.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2355 kbps (294.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 7 ms
    26 January 2012 16:51:30
    Call them as I dont have a problem but I live in D1

Advertisement