Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toyota landcruiser injector problem

• 24-11-2010 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi Guys.

Can anyone tell me if they have had any problems with the engine in the landcruiser jeeps. My own engine blew over the weekend, i have been informed that the problems stems from faulty injector seals.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Havent heard this myself is it LWB or SWB?? I'd be interested to hear myself as i have a 06 swb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Havent heard this myself is it LWB or SWB?? I'd be interested to hear myself as i have a 06 swb.

They all give injector trouble but its done under warranty by Toyota up to 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 d4d cruiser

Would be interested to know more on this, I have an 06 plate landcruiser, 55,000 miles that had blue smoke at start up, it went in about 2 weeks ago and had new injectors fitted, I had it back and it over heated with in a week and its now back at toyota and wait to see the damage.

I have asked around localy and found someone else with the same engine and the same symtoms, new injectors fitted, then overheated and turn out that the injectors had blown a hole in the piston on that one so he fitted a s/h complete engine and got no help from toyota on the second repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 toyota123

well the dealer i bought mine from didnt give a **** about it, they said its down to toyota themselves, on wether they will cover the parts and labour to fix it. ill know more tomorrow as im calling toyota ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

toyota123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

Can anyone tell me if they have had any problems with the engine in the landcruiser jeeps. My own engine blew over the weekend, i have been informed that the problems stems from faulty injector seals.

Thanks.
    I know a lad who's engine blew and the problem was diagnosed as a dirty filter or guaze that should have being cleaned or replaced at service, his was 07 model toyota ireland covered the repair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

-Corkie- wrote: »
    They all give injector trouble but its done under warranty by Toyota up to 100k.
    I have a 06 and I got the injectors done in March 09 under warranty,just in time as well as they told me it was 3 years or 100k KMs or whichever was sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

This problem has been in landcruisers and hilux models for years. At first the injectors were replaced but the problem persisted. For the last while the injector seal kit is being replaced which so far seems to have solved the problem.

Some of the worse affected engines will be clogged up with carbon which would lead to poor performance and sometimes engine damage. The pick up gauze in the sump also gets blocked with carbon which leads to poor oil circulation.

I think english models were not affected but I'm not sure on that one. If your jeep is running rough and noisy when cold it's likely to need this repair which is a current toyota recall campaign so ring your dealer to check if your jeep is one of the affected ones.(mileage shouldn't be an issue but not having main dealer service history could lead to problems)

When it comes to needing a new engine because of the carbon problem you should get a short block and pistons, rings etc.(after a dealer request)

This information is classified and will self destruct in five minutes,:P

Well I hadn't heard anything about the Injectors until i got a pm here on boards..Only problem I am having with my jeep is a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust(maybe im not waiting enough time for the engine to heat up).I have an 06 swb with around 150k on the clock.

I wouldn't know too much about the working of motors unfortunately:o hopefully my smoke problem isnt connet to the Injector problem.Toyota123 cheers for the info I will get onto my dealer and hopefully they will sort out the Injectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

unfortunately an 06 jeep wont be covered by warranty plus you would need toyota service history to be covered and the injectors aint cheap

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

The injector seals let carbon down by the injectors into the sump.The carbon forms a jelly in the oil which blocks the gauze on the oil pick up,starving the engine of oil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

All affected jeeps regardless of year or mileage will be covered under warranty if they are part of the recall campaign. Ring a toyota dealer with your reg and chassis number to find out if a jeep is part of this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

pajero12 wrote: »
    The injector seals let carbon down by the injectors into the sump.The carbon forms a jelly in the oil which blocks the gauze on the oil pick up,starving the engine of oil!

Where are the injectors on that engine if they can let carbon into the sump?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

the injectors arent part of a recall because although they are giving trouble toyota wont admit it is there fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 toyota123

Dropped jeep into dealer today to do the injector seals, will let you all know what they say regarding the repair.

Finally left mine in today to my dealer..Mechanic rings me a few hours later saying that theres no power in the jeep no air getting into it or something(it has been very sluggish lately go into second gear and it doesn't kick in for a few seconds and fumes come out the exhaust)..I cant remember the full explanation as i was half asleep.
    Anyway he said it would cost 900-1000eur to clear out all the crap thats blocking (air manifest i think he said).:mad:
    Well pissed off i don't know and wouldn't have the know how if the injector seal and the problem are anyway connected.

Focking EGR man.

It's a piece of stoopid wizardry that modern engines have to lower emissions. It basically reburns some exhaust fumes and in doing so hauls in a load of crap back into the engine. The intake manifold (air intake into the engine) gets caked in soot etc. That's probably what he referred to.

I cleaned out mine on my 100 series. Was about 1cm thick all around which has obvious impact on air flow.

When you get it back you could think about blanking it off or just disconnecting it and attacing the vacuum hose to the sensor so it thinks vacuum is applied.

so cost me 950euro total :( he "removed intercooler and noticed a very high build up of carbon deposit in egr and intake system.removed intake manifold and cleaned all carbon from system.run oil flush,air intake cleaner & fuel cleaner through systems road test and check for dtc's 701.25euro for that!!! ???

Fok me - I'm changing my game. Did mine in a day.

Did they even renew the gaskets? (although some are steel)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DETEC

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    All affected jeeps regardless of year or mileage will be covered under warranty if they are part of the recall campaign. Ring a toyota dealer with your reg and chassis number to find out if a jeep is part of this campaign.

My Engine went 2 weeks ago, uk model. advice - dont buy UK models and get it serviced in a toyota garage.
    If i lived in the uk i would have got it done for free even though its a 06.
    Wont be buying a LC again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The first of the 120 series had Copper sealing washers under the injectors.
    These allowed the combustion blowby and the resulting carbon caused the problem.
    The fix was to install Aluminium washers.
    Its the same with the UK Vehicles, Toyotas fault and they have tried to hush it up which is never a good thing.
    Toyota Australia kept the old 1KZTE in the 120 series until they ironed out the problems with the 1KD-FTV in the 120

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Old thread closed.

Please feel free to start a new one DETEC if required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement