Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone timeouts

• 24-11-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days I have been geting a lot of timeouts with vodafone (fixed line). It happens several times every evening and lasts from a few minutes up to half an hour. During this the lights on the router are all green and the computer shows and internet connection icon in the notification area. This evening I had no connection (red router light) for 15 mins then came back but have had several time outs since. Restarting the router doesn't seem to help and I have had the same problem on both the vodafone supplied router and my own D-Link. I only switched to vodafone two weeks ago, and only had this problem two or 3 times in 18 months with imagine.

Has anyone been experiencing these issue with vodafone in the last week or so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you're only with them a couple of weeks then just report it to Vodafone and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mossie

bhickey wrote: »
    If you're only with them a couple of weeks then just report it to Vodafone and see what they say.

I did and have heard nothing back. I am already in a dispute about line speeds with them ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056094022 ) and really regretting my move.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cscook

No red light problem here, the DSL and all other lights stay green. But I have definitely had more outages in the last week than I have since back in July, when it was so bad I started logging them. Very annoying. Even when I know it's Vodafone and not me it's hard not to go down the route of checking the connections, restarting the router and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I've noticed a big drop in speed since yesterday. I've had solid 8mb for the last few months but now it's struggling to reach 1mb:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 NinjaStudent

Ive had the exact same problem, since moving from eircom to vodafone there has been a massive difference in speed and quality.

Every day around 7 onwards the wireless knocks off completely and requires a re-booting of the router which doesn't always sort it out.

Was onto them and apparently they are having issues with eircom at the moment, didnt say when it would be fixed mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Kazujo wrote: »
    I've noticed a big drop in speed since yesterday. I've had solid 8mb for the last few months but now it's struggling to reach 1mb:mad:

kazujo ive had the same prob since yesterday as well. I can see on my netopia router homepage that ive been reduced to 1meg. On hold with tech support at the moment should be interesting to see what excuse they come up with if anyone actually answers the phone

Also cant sign into playstation network as a result in speed drop

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Exact same problem here as well. Switched from Eircom recently
    and Vodafone down last 3 nights running. Reboots, restarts, wired,
    wireless... nothing works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Moogintroll

Spent the bulk of yesterday without internet and it's trying to quit on me tonight too. Phoned them up and just got some schmuck reading from a script. That was no help.

Think I might give Magnet a bell tomorrow.

Exact same problem here as well. Switched from Eircom recently
    and Vodafone down last 3 nights running. Reboots, restarts, wired,
    wireless... nothing works.

BarryNumber1, I just wanted to add that I am having the exact same problem. (switched from Eircom a year ago)

The last three nights, between 6pm and 7pm, it goes down and doesn't come back until the next morning.

I wouldn't be online now, only I have a PAYG dongle as well. When I rang VF, all I got was "engineers are looking into it, but we don't know whats wrong"

What? NOT GOOD ENOUGH! :mad:

What's worse is that I now have their bloody hold music stuck in my head.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Have the same thing. Goes for anything from a few minutes to the whole night. Their support told me to reset the modem and that sometimes fixes it. As I'm not retarded I had already tried this a load of times with no success. Not much else I can do for you was the response. WTF? Do vodafone have a technical support group? The guy I dealt with was definately non technical.
    No effort, no investigation, no resolution.
    Seems the new upgrade doesn't work that well with the vodafone modem and they have no idea how to fix it.
    I put back in my old eircom modem and so far, so good. Left Eircom on principle when they blocked the pirate bay but looks like I could be crawling back.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭BarryNumber1

@Loueze. Back on again here, fingers crossed. Congrats, you got through to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

The last three nights my Vodafone broadband has gone down around 8pm ...very frustrating......
    Resetting modem makes no difference and it comes back at some stage in the night....

Haven't had time to ring support yet on it but suspected they are making changes or somesuch

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Same here, yesterday Vodafone DSL went down at 5pm and only came back at 11pm - I have the 7MB connection and its very frustrating to lose connection and have to pay €50/month for it. In the recent weeks this has been a reoccurring issue.

I spoke with Vodafone and they blamed my DSL divider (phone & DSL) to be faulty, but I tried connecting my DSL directly to the main phone connection in the house and same problem - Vodafone sucks.

Any better DSL providers out there? Eircom was crap as well, so I will not go back to them.

Evening all, well as you've probably guessed, my home broadband has gone down again this evening - about half an hour ago. :mad:

Using my PAYG dongle again, but I'm not prepared to keep topping that up. This is the fourth nights in a row now, and always around the same time.

Sounds like some kind of scheduled downtime to me, and I'm heartily sick of it at this stage, and no satisfaction from VF as to whats happening.

I've never heard of Magnet... going to have a read of the other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SirJolt

Exactly the same story here, down every night from around the 6-7pm mark, running the next morning.

Glad to see I'm not alone, but Jesus, it's pretty dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Mine has been going on and off during the day as well. It went out for most of the night, last night as well

Just dreadful throughput lately, sent email 2 days ago and no reply...looks like i'll be forced to ring :rolleyes:
    Anyone seen an improvement or found out what is going on?

redman wrote: »
    Just dreadful throughput lately, sent email 2 days ago and no reply...looks like i'll be forced to ring :rolleyes:
    Anyone seen an improvement or found out what is going on?
    It's not as bad as it was last week but I've still been kicked a few times this week.

Got this reply from Vodafone today:

"Thank you for contacting us.

An issue has been identified which is causing difficulties for some customers broadband connections.

Our network engineers are working around the clock to resolve the issue.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Sadly no ETA

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

It's a pretty simple problem that has existed for months, since they took over the BT customers, if it's the same as I'm seeing.

Vodafone's DNS servers don't respond to the old BT IP addresses. It looks like they've started to hand these out IP addresses again.

Configuring your router or computer to use OpenDNS or Google DNS should resolve the issue. Again the caveat here is that this is what I'm seeing and what I saw back during the initial takeover.

halenger wrote: »
    It's a pretty simple problem that has existed for months, since they took over the BT customers, if it's the same as I'm seeing.

Vodafone's DNS servers don't respond to the old BT IP addresses. It looks like they've started to hand these out IP addresses again.

Configuring your router or computer to use OpenDNS or Google DNS should resolve the issue. Again the caveat here is that this is what I'm seeing and what I saw back during the initial takeover.

I've been using openDNS for years. That's not the problem.

still dreadful download speed (.8mbps!!) - anyone see an improvement yet.....can't handle this for much longer!

apparently they have reset connections to much lower speeds and you need to ring in to have the speeds reset.....
    I'll try later

redman wrote: »
    apparently they have reset connections to much lower speeds and you need to ring in to have the speeds reset.....
    I'll try later
    Where did you hear this?

from Vodafone themselves and I know one other who did this
    Has rectified the problem for me.

Unbelieveable that they were unable to do this from their own systems and you MUST ring in order to get them to bring you back up to what you should be on.

Also got credit from them and they are being internally surveyed so they appear to be being extra cooperative on the phone. (imho)

So now is the time to ring if you've been suffering!

Thanks Red. I am confident that my line can handle in excess of the package I'm on, so I don't know if this would apply to me.

well I was paying for 3, got 7 when bt sold to voda and got dropped to less that 1 and now back up to 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

Hi lads,

Plan on moving to Vodafone soon, as im currently with UTV and im not happy with the speeds.

Just wondering if anything has been done to rectify the issues i've been reading about in this issue. Best to have slow but reliable broadband than faster, unreliable, useless broadband.

Cheers ,
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

if your speed is slow with UTV expect it to get 10 times worse with vodafone you might be saving money but your getting a worse connection from them trust me avoid them i wouldnt put myself through the stress of dealing with such a bad managed comapany

Advertisement