Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 2008 server reboots loop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

F8 and "Last Known Good Configuration" may do the trick for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MovingOut

Hello and thanks but

I had a worker at that site do this and other choices but it still kept rebooting
    The only thing that helped was when he got to the login prompt he gave cntrl alt del and hit the space bar once or twice, this delayed the reboot by 20 minutes where I was able to shut the windows module service down and to stop the shutdown service as well. I fully deactivated the windows update service and a few days later rebooted without a problem.
    The server is really slow and there is no BDC onsite and Backup Exec fails to reinstall. This will take a little something to fully resolve.
    Oh, was not able to directly connect to the server but through computer management on one server and then connect to this server from there.

Thanks again anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

MovingOut wrote: »
    Hello and thanks but

I had a worker at that site do this and other choices but it still kept rebooting
    The only thing that helped was when he got to the login prompt he gave cntrl alt del and hit the space bar once or twice, this delayed the reboot by 20 minutes where I was able to shut the windows module service down and to stop the shutdown service as well. I fully deactivated the windows update service and a few days later rebooted without a problem.
    The server is really slow and there is no BDC onsite and Backup Exec fails to reinstall. This will take a little something to fully resolve.
    Oh, was not able to directly connect to the server but through computer management on one server and then connect to this server from there.

Thanks again anyway

One has to ask - BDC? What kind of server is it? BDCs have not been needed since Server 2000.

Did you not try just booting into safe mode? Or better yet safe mode with command prompt and have it update the boot files?

Hi,

BDC: Back up Domain Controller ie when this server fails again a BDC would kick in.
    We got it working anyway. But we need a BDC there soon before it fecks up again.
    We tried everything until we were able to connect to the server's services and shut them down.

Hi,

BDC: Back up Domain Controller ie when this server fails again a BDC would kick in.
    We got it working anyway. But we need a BDC there soon before it fecks up again.
    We tried everything until we were able to connect to the server's services and shut them down.

Sorry, what I was asking is - BDCs have not been used since Windows Server 2000 - AD forests do not require them or use them, so how old are the servers and what OS are they running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Do you have an ILO board configured on the remote server? If so, can you use this to connect to the remote server & view the server booting up?

Anyway, I've used this before for a Vista client - it may help you with W2k8 - from the technet thread in your first post:
    ========================================================

Here is the solution. No restore point needed. No installation disk needed. It is not my solution. I found it posted by Ernest Dunhin.

- After BIOS screen, hit F8 for the windows boot menu.
    - Select the "repair" option (it is first on the list)
    - Open a command prompt (it is last on the list)

- Rename the following files:

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml C:\windows\winsxs\pending.old.xml
    C:\windows\winsxs\cleanup.xml -> C:\windows\winsxs\cleanup.old.xml

- Reboot.

Windows will boot into the same "Configuring Updates" screen, but it will shortly dissappear and you will be presented with the normal logon screen.
    ========================================================

HTH!
    Al.

cpt:

They are both Windows 2008. The slow one is a Dell that is now out of warranty. It is working now and the most important thing for me is to get Backup Exec working again and one full Backup completed and then to get confirmation from those in charge that this will be replaced. The support company is of little help basically telling me to contact Dell, what support that is!
    Anyway I saw the other comment but I couldn't see the screen as someone else at the site was doing this for me and is not in IT.
    Was on to Symantec and should get in reinstalled tomorrow once I don't have too many questions coming from users, as I am the only IT guy there for 3 sites with around 150 users!
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

.........most important thing for me is to get Backup Exec working again and one full Backup completed and then to get confirmation from those in charge that this will be replaced................

FWIW, if you do get a new server, make sure you configure the ILO board on the new box. It can be a lifesaver in situations like this. At least you'll be able to see whats going on at the remote site, rather than having a non-IT person trying to tell you whats on screen.

Al.

Alzar wrote: »
    FWIW, if you do get a new server, make sure you configure the ILO board on the new box. It can be a lifesaver in situations like this. At least you'll be able to see whats going on at the remote site, rather than having a non-IT person trying to tell you whats on screen.

Al.

iLO is only available on HP servers. This is a Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

CptSternn wrote: »
    iLO is only available on HP servers. This is a Dell.

DRAC then - whatever you call it, for a remote server it's really worth having.

• Advertisement
Advertisement