Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair hook for damaged roof slate ?

• 24-11-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I have a missing roof slate and i have seen hooks on the net the will support a replacment slate by nailing it between the line of slates that are in tact if that makes sense ! Just wondering has anyone used them and if u might know where i could pick some up, its such a ssmall job i want 2 do it myself if possible

All responses welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

what type slates are they?? natural or fibre cement ?? those hooks would do the job they are stainless steel with a black coating and could be found in a good hardware that supply natural slate, but they are sold in a large quantity. u could ask a roofer for a few maybe. i have a good few left over after jobs. u will need a slate ripper to remove da old slate and clout nails. if it is a fibre cement slate u could stick it back with allweather silicone or mastic and a new copper crampion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

You can make one from a strip of lead just bend it over at both ends

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

The slate is fully gone so thats not a problem, think it was repaired before with a led strap so dont want to go down that route again, i guess i could make one with pretty heavy rigid galvanised wire, its not a natural slate but needs 2 be replaced

Thanks for the replys peoples, anyone else any ideas of what i could do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

strips of lead wont last long u could try to flatting a piece of copper pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Lead will work fine once its done right we maintain some of the oldest stately homes it the country and cant use steel we have to use lead the same way its been done for hundreds of years

• Advertisement
Advertisement