Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 24-11-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry this is the only place I could find for this

My son is due to go into first year next year.

Yesterday to our horror we find out that fellow classmates are getting acceptance letters for our one and only school of choice.

Our child had been out sick for 10 days in october with a severe chest infection and had missed notification for the open night at his new school (which came in the form of a note on the blackboard). No formal notification was given to us i.e note home or text message, the kids that were in on the day were told to write in their journal.

My child went back to school and nothing was said to him by the teachers or the kids (out of sight out of mind comes to mind). When we got wind of this yesterday we went into school first thing today and the head basically tried to pass the buck down to the child for not telling us!!

We now have a meeting with the head of the secondary school tomorrow morning with very little hope of getting him in as they are already heavily over subscribed..

Just looking for other peoples opinions on this please..

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved to parenting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Apply anyway, you may get a cancellation, but start looking for other schools.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not really up to the primary to keep parents informed re secondary openng nights etc, I would think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Ask the secondary head for a copy of the school's enrolment policy. Read it carefully when you go home and note any deviations from the published method of enrolment in your experience of it to date. You should also go to newb.ie and find the name and phone number of the person who looks after school atendance in your geographcal area. Phone them and get advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not really up to the primary to keep parents informed re secondary openng nights etc, I would think?

All primary schools were written to and asked to pass the information on to 6th class students.

Anyway we had the meeting with the secondary head this morning and we have to put in an appeal to the school board explaining the circumstances in the hope he might get a place.

Fingers crossed and thanks for the reply's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement