Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shellac (nails)

• 24-11-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

My local beauticians has started offering Shellac and I was thinking of treating myself to a manicure before Xmas. However I have since heard from a few people that their nails have been in terrible condition since getting it done, and I was just wondering has anyone on here gotten it done, how long did it last, and how were your nails afterwards?
    Thanks!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

i had french manicure shellac done..kept it for 2 weeks..got a good week to 10 days out of it but started chipping in the corners the last few days!..definetly better than normal polish..i thought it helped strengthen em alright...just remember you have to go back to get it taken off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I thought it wasn't supposed to chip? I saw a girl that had it on for two weeks and looked perfect until I was asking her about it and on closer inspection the end of her nails (at the cuticle) was not painted as the nail had grown a little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

i had french manicure shellac done..kept it for 2 weeks..got a good week to 10 days out of it but started chipping in the corners the last few days!..definetly better than normal polish..i thought it helped strengthen em alright...just remember you have to go back to get it taken off!!
    Were the chips very noticeable? One of the girls in there said she had it on nearly 3 weeks and it didn't chip (but she'd have to say that wouldn't she :D). How much did you pay to get it done? I think she said its €30, did you have to pay to get it taken off too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tantrum.b

Hi Ladies,
    im new here, thought i'd offer my 2 cents

the shellac and other new generation gel polishes are a hybrid of a gel overlay and polish. When applied correctly and capped at the edge should stay perfect with normal wear and tear, however should be removed by a nail technician to minimise damage, most nail damage is caused by a bad nail tech or ourselves being heavy handed. Also as far as strengthening the natural nail, yes they will feel stronger while product is on but its the product itself, when removed you'll be back to your usual nail which will feel weak if you are used to the coating. You will notice it "grows" with the nail, therefore will need a top up after a few weeks which is well worth it as they'll look great until then.

If you use a cuticle oil, you will strengthen your natural nail as you'll catch the nails as it is forming, try to always use this no matter what nail system you use, the difference it makes..

hope i've been helpful:)
    Pam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Mine chipped after 5 days.

• Advertisement

Don't say that Stench Blossoms!! :eek::(
    Did they chip very very badly or was it just a tiny bit? I know they shouldn't chip at all though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I had a French manicure done and tbh as soon as I saw one chipping I started picking at them so it was my own fault really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I got a 3 week manicure done a week ago and I must say they are fantastic, no scratches or chipping so far, and the shine off them is lovely, everyone is commenting on them!

However, it was extremely expensive, but it was a present and I got a voucher for 4 sessions.
    I'll let you know if it lasts the "guaranteed" 3 weeks.

I got a 3 week manicure done a week ago and I must say they are fantastic, no scratches or chipping so far, and the shine off them is lovely, everyone is commenting on them!

However, it was extremely expensive, but it was a present and I got a voucher for 4 sessions.
    I'll let you know if it lasts the "guaranteed" 3 weeks.
    Good to hear someone is fully happy :D I'm paying for them myself (as far as I know unless the OH decides to be generous!) but I think its €30 to get it done, which isn't all that bad really.
    I'd love pretty nails for Xmas <sigh>

terlywerly wrote: »
    Good to hear someone is fully happy :D I'm paying for them myself (as far as I know unless the OH decides to be generous!) but I think its €30 to get it done, which isn't all that bad really.
    I'd love pretty nails for Xmas <sigh>

I bleeding well jinxed myself - got my finger caught earlier between a zip and a crack has emerged!!

TW, these ones cost 70 euro :eek:

• Advertisement

I bleeding well jinxed myself - got my finger caught earlier between a zip and a crack has emerged!!

Ah no, thats terrible :( such bad luck :(
    I rang the salon earlier and they definitely said 30 euro for a Shellac french manicure, maybe its cheaper out Whest where I am than in other places :D Maybe being miles away from big cities has its benefits after all :pac:

terlywerly wrote: »
    Ah no, thats terrible :( such bad luck :(
    I rang the salon earlier and they definitely said 30 euro for a Shellac french manicure, maybe its cheaper out Whest where I am than in other places :D Maybe being miles away from big cities has its benefits after all :pac:

Yup I'm slap bang in the middle of Dublin city center...so they fleece us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Wow! You definitely got fleeced there, it should only be around €30. Ive even seen deals for a full spray tan and shellac nails for €50 so you definitely paid too much.

My friend got them done the week before last and they looked fab.She was raving about them. Am going to treat myself for xmas :D

I have a question (possibly a very silly one!)

Is the Shellac Manicure and the Three week manicure the same thing?

anniehoo wrote: »
    Wow! You definitely got fleeced there, it should only be around €30. Ive even seen deals for a full spray tan and shellac nails for €50 so you definitely paid too much.

My friend got them done the week before last and they looked fab.She was raving about them. Am going to treat myself for xmas :D

but you are quoting prices for the shellac manicure, I didn't get the shellac done, I got the 3 week manicure - apples and oranges here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lotiek

Hi All - am new on here & saw this thread.

I got the shellac manicure done for the first time 3 months ago and have been addicted every since! It's great you can change colours every 2-3 weeks and have a different look. I generally get about 2 and a half weeks out of it - for the most part they look great apart from the re-growth - sometimes there are accidents where a chip happens but that's life unforunately. They certainly don't chip anything like ordinary nail polish. I also love the constant shine from them.

I got it on first when my nails were quite short and thought it would look awful (got a dark colour on - Fedora) but by 4 wks later my nails were a great length so got French Manicure!

As you can see I'm a fan of Shellacs :D

I have a question (possibly a very silly one!)

Is the Shellac Manicure and the Three week manicure the same thing?

Nope, they are different - to what extend I don't know though, but from the experience I had with the 3 week manicure it took about 45 minutes to do.
    There was a gel layer put on, then polish, more gel, then polish, then a top coat...I was very bored, very very bored!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

There was a gel layer put on, then polish, more gel, then polish, then a top coat...I was very bored, very very bored!!
    Sounds the exact same as Shellac tbh.They use gel and polish layers also and seal it under a UV lamp. I wonder what extra they do for the 3 week one?

anniehoo wrote: »
    Sounds the exact same as Shellac tbh.They use gel and polish layers also and seal it under a UV lamp. I wonder what extra they do for the 3 week one?

God knows, but the nail tech was constantly telling everyone that this was the bees knees designer label and shellac was pennys in comparison.

lol was quite amusing

well it was just small chips at the end of the 2 weeks...i did a french polish myself this week and 5 days later theyre all chipping so i really find the shellac great..1 less thing to be worrying about!!

a local started up a nail place in her house lately..€22 for a plain colour shellac or €25 for the french polish..and that price includes removal!:)

currently growing my nails a bit so they'l be a nice length to get them done at xmas:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I got Shellac nails done for my wedding. They looked good, photographed well. Lasted approx 9 days before chipping. I was told I either had to go back to have them removed or else buy pure acetone to soak the nails in to remove them. I peeled them off. My nails were in great condition underneath, much much better than when I have had gel nails removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Thanks for that info Dollybird!

I was just about to post about the removal process and how your nails fare underneath..?

I've had gel nails a few times but vowed never again as they left my natural nails in a right state underneath!

I'm really tempted to try out the Shellac nails, don't want to be contending with frail and brittle nails for weeks afterwards once they're off though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Just to add my 2c...I've been getting the Shellac done for a while now. and before that I was getting the three week manicure done.

I always found that the three week really only lasted properly around 2.5 weeks, never really got the three weeks out of them without them looking seriously shabby! So, when I started getting Shellac I was wondering if they'd only last 1.5 weeks or so. But I genuinely do get the full two weeks out of them.

As one of the other posters said, they are soaked off in Acetone and then redone. Your nails are only under the UV lamp for about 2 minutes a go, 2 or 3 times (I'm normally chatting to the beautician so I don't remember clearly how many times but getting these done doesn't take the same amount of time as the three week).

As for the condition of my nails, under shellac they're fine, under three week they would have been weaker.

I think it's always good to give your nails a break every so often so I wouldn't have this on full time but if you're looking to have nice, preeeety nails for Christmas, get these done a few days before Santa comes and they'll last through New Years! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I had Shellac done a few weeks ago - I was delighted for the first few days, and then they started cracking like little black cracks all over near the tips.. i have to say the shine was fantastic and maybe it was the particular girl who did it - perhaps she wasn't great at it, I dunno but i was disappointed. I ended up picking it off because I was too lazy to go and get the acetone... don't pick it, nails very weak underneath after that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I thought it wasn't supposed to chip? I saw a girl that had it on for two weeks and looked perfect until I was asking her about it and on closer inspection the end of her nails (at the cuticle) was not painted as the nail had grown a little!

Well obviously, if her nails have grown then the regrowth isn't going to have Shellac on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 northumb

Does anyone know where you can get the Shellac manicure done in Dublin city? Buff Day Spa are doing it for €35-40. Just wondering is there anywhere else that is?

Thanks

Hi northumb,

If you go on www.cnd.com go to Find a Salon, and under international choose Ireland and you'll see the salons all over the country that do the Shellac nails. The general price I've seen for them is €30 (for both colour and French) and then there are some salons that are charging €35 for the French and €30 for the colour. You'll get it cheaper than €40, no problem.

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I love Shellac. At 1st, I was like.. aww man, 30 E for a nail paint? But after one time, I was completely converted. Mine lasted at least 2 weeks, perfectly, but in reality Im not that hard run and I was getting almost 3 weeks out of them. The salon I get them done at removed them for free as i was getting them applied again.

Its 110% better than gel/acrylics. I wouldnt let them anywhere near my natural nail.

i got mine done again before xmas, french polish but this time with the tips stuck on. much better i think, all the tips are the same length and there is no chipping as they're stuck on, looks alot better than the hand drawn ones. 2 weeks later they're still fine and i'll get another few days outta them yet!...all for €25 including removal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 northumb

Thanks Loopie, that is great help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭queenm

I got Shellac done and it lasted for 3 weeks until it started looking a bit ragged and that was only on close inspection! It was another 2 weeks before I got it re-done and when I did I went for Gelac (couldn't get appt at original place) and from the start it was worse. €10 more expensive, chipped on the way home and one nail cracked and the varnish peeled off completely. Also the very top of my nails is totally worn, I know you use them the most, I type all day for work but it never happened with the Shellac and it looked shiney til the day I got it removed. I won't be deviating again. Shellac all the way. Plus just the other day I got an offer in the door for a place doing it for €20. They'll be the next place I try...

queenm wrote: »
    Plus just the other day I got an offer in the door for a place doing it for €20. They'll be the next place I try...

Where was this place queenm?

I finally got the Shellac done on the 23rd of Dec. I went for the French manicure in the end and I have to say they were absolutely fantastic, I was constantly getting comments about them. They lasted pretty much perfectly for around 9 or so days and then they started getting chipped and began peeling on 3 or 4 nails. I got them taken off in the beauticians 2 weeks to the day of getting them on and I have to say my nails were in great shape underneath. My beautician advised me to put nail strengthener on them for a week just to be safe but I think they ended up in pretty good condition. I don't know if I'd get them done again any time soon as they were expensive on my near empty purse but I'd definitely get them done again for a special occasion etc
    So overall I was pretty happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got them done in my local salon jsut before Xmas. I got them done again a few days ago as I love the way your nails always look nice. I got the french manicure and they did chip somewhat but the overall look was still great.

My only problem with it is that the selection is a bit small and doesn't have the more fashion-y colours like bright pastels. I'll definitely be getting it done again though! So cheap for something that lasts so long.

Pythia wrote: »
    I got them done in my local salon jsut before Xmas. I got them done again a few days ago as I love the way your nails always look nice. I got the french manicure and they did chip somewhat but the overall look was still great.

My only problem with it is that the selection is a bit small and doesn't have the more fashion-y colours like bright pastels. I'll definitely be getting it done again though! So cheap for something that lasts so long.

Just to let new know Shellac are apparently launching new colours in March - I thought the same thing re the selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Got these done the 23rd in Lesleys in Killester and they lasted well over the Christmas! They did chip a bit on the tips after about a week but I just cut my nails and they looked as good as new again for a few days! 30 quid is expensive enough, but it's great if you have a few events coming up or are going on holidays or something, will get again when the time is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 easytalker

Just a tip girls- watch out for the salons that aren't actually selling the real deal . I got caught out with a different brand, was told it 'was the same thing' but kind of knew from the finish it wasn't the CND Shellac.. shine etc wasn't there. And when I went to get it removed the technician (at a different salon) had a terrible time trying to remove it.. And it wasn't as if it was any cheaper.. I think I pretty much paid the same as I did for the actual Shellac.. so don't be pressurized into it like I was!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As far as I was aware, it is the same formula for all of them, it's just different brands' offerings. I think others are Gelish and Geleration. In my salon they have Shellac and one other and you can pick a colour from whatever is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

dollybird2 wrote: »
    I got Shellac nails done for my wedding. They looked good, photographed well. Lasted approx 9 days before chipping. I was told I either had to go back to have them removed or else buy pure acetone to soak the nails in to remove them. I peeled them off. My nails were in great condition underneath, much much better than when I have had gel nails removed.

x2

I love my Shellac nails. I got it in a coral colour. Was beautiful. I didn't go back though, just peeled it off. Would definitely get it done again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 smiler1990

I got it done about 3 weeks ago and (stupidly) didnt go back to get it removed! My nails are an absolute wreck right now!! The shellac takes a layer of your own nail with it when it peels off! Never gain!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Well, sod it. I got it done today in a new local nail bar and nails look fntastic but I WAS NOT told that i need to come back to hae the polish removed. If I had known that I would have. She was trying to push a set of gel nails on me but I said I just wanted a manicure and she told me about this wonderful 2 eek one. Should have known it was to good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I got the shellac done at the salon through boardsdeals. I'm delighted with it I have to say. Don't know yet how long I'll get out of it, only 3 days in and it's still perfect. I don't feel like I've to be careful with doing stuff like I would with regular polish. Hopefully I'll get a bit longer out of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

I have had shellac and the Jessica geleration products applied to both hands and toes 3-4 time is a reputable salon over the last 6 months. To be honest i got 2-3 weeks on the hands and about 6 weeks with the toes. The high shine polish of the looked brilliant.

BUT I will never used these products as event though I used cuticle oil daily my finger and toe nails are hideous now-they slpit, peel and break so easily.

Shellac is definitely easier on nails than gel but the salons saying it strengthens your nails is totally false!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

What about the Gelish 3 week manicure? Got it as part of a Living social deal..

http://www.mwah.ie/2010/07/gelish-3-week-manicure-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    What about the Gelish 3 week manicure? Got it as part of a Living social deal..

I haven't tried this one, but I think that this is pretty much a gel with a colour, so will probably be harsher than the shellac/Jessica ones. I have seen this on deals and i've been tempted! Would love to hear more from someone who's tried it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I haven't tried this one, but I think that this is pretty much a gel with a colour, so will probably be harsher than the shellac/Jessica ones. I have seen this on deals and i've been tempted! Would love to hear more from someone who's tried it!

Same =/

I got it as part of a haircut, express facial, 1/2 hr back massage and this manicure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

i got shellac done over the weekend and it's been great so far. My nails usually chip after a couple of days if done professionally, sooner if i do them myself. I've had the shellac on for 5 days and they're still perfect.
    Got black paint so it'd be pretty obvious if there was any chipping by nothing yet.
    My removal is included in the €30 i paid but tbh i'll prob just buy a bottle of acetone in the chemist and take it off myself. Going to leave them clean for a week or 2 just with protective coat and then get them done again for my holidays.
    Liking them so much i'm actually considering buying the system myself. You can get cheaper UV lamps on ebay and the shellac itself is about 20 per bottle, 1 top, 1 base and the colour......but if i was spending €30 once a month on getting them done i'd have it paid for by xmas.
    Looked at videos on Youtube and i'd be confident i could get them right after a bit of practice on myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mari5

I find that shellac really damages your nails. I've gotten it done a few times and while it lasted for at least 2 weeks in each case, my nails have been in really bad condition for about 6 weeks since having it taken off :( Don't think I'd get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭butlerjustine

Shellac is not the same as other products.
    3 week polishes such as Gelish etc have more gel in them and this is the reason they last longer. The problem is that gel is more damaging to your nail so 3 weeks is not necessarily a better option.
    Shellac is damaging if you pull it off yourself as it removes part of your natural nail with it. You should use cuticle oil every day if you can which helps with the condition. You can buy this easily in Boots.
    I think your nail is probably better if you use normal polish but I think the good outweighs the bad with Shellac as it has a great finish and no chips is always a good thing. :)

Advertisement