Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf R32 - Should I convert to van to save on VRT!

Options
  • 24-11-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to buy a 2003 R32 in the UK, VRT a lovely €5020!! I know the government is stuck for money at the mo and how I would love to help them out but €5k VRT on a 7 year old car is a bit much.

Was thinking of getting a 3 door and converting it into a Car/Van then putting it through the VRT as commercial

Am I mad? Don't really need the seats in the back, So say if I was to just whip out the back seats and square the floor off and block out the windows could I put it through as a Van?

I am Vat Registered so it will be for business use.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't get it to the load area required for €50 VRT, so 13.3% of OMSP is still the order of the day... is this enough of a saving for the hassle to convert and hassle of insuring it once its converted?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

MYOB wrote: »
    You won't get it to the load area required for €50 VRT, so 13.3% of OMSP is still the order of the day... is this enough of a saving for the hassle to convert and hassle of insuring it once its converted?

Revenue have a OMSP of €13946

VRT would be €1854 on a car/van so I would save €3166

Still I think the OMSP of €13946 is a bit much. I don't see many 2003 R32 knocking about so I think there figer is a bit off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I think it's just about legal but you'd be uninsured if say you crashed coming home from a wedding or something like that.
    There's a similar thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think it's just about legal but you'd be uninsured if say you crashed coming home from a wedding or something like that.

..sorry, but that part about the insurance is nonsense. If OP has it (legally declared) commercial, and properly insured, that's all that matters. VRT is not a Road Traffic Act item, and once a cert under the RTA 1963 is issued, you're covered.

Motor Tax and VRT is enforced by Revenue, not the GTC.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

R32 Van! you sir should buy yourself a nice mk4 tdi van and be content,this thread is making my stomach churn :D

I would imagine it would be infinitely more hassle than its worth and plain stupid (personal opinion)

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..sorry, but that part about the insurance is nonsense. If OP has it (legally declared) commercial, and properly insured, that's all that matters. VRT is not a Road Traffic Act item, and once a cert under the RTA 1963 is issued, you're covered.

Motor Tax and VRT is enforced by Revenue, not the GTC.

Are there not possible insurance issues about using a commercial van for Social, Domestic and Pleasure?

tossy wrote: »
    R32 Van! you sir should buy yourself a nice mk4 tdi van and be content,this thread is making my stomach churn :D

I would imagine it would be infinitely more hassle than its worth and plain stupid (personal opinion)

I had 4 golfs in the past and now the time has come for an R32.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

R32 Van! you sir should buy yourself a nice mk4 tdi van and be content

You can't compare an R32 with a Mk4 TDI. Stop doing things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

John_Rambo wrote: »

It was sarcasm i.e if the OP wants a golf van buy one with a tractor engine in it and don't ruin a good one. i know all about R32s thanks.Drive on...

Besides with my experience of high powered (higher than an R admittedly) V6 mk4 based cars VRT or tax is the least of the running costs,petrol and servicing are the real costs to look at.)

John_Rambo wrote: »

True ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Are there not possible insurance issues about using a commercial van for Social, Domestic and Pleasure?

No. Your insurance is a private contract, and if you declare that you will use it for SD&P, and they accept the proposal, you pay the money, and they issue cover, then that's all that matters.

You are, I fear confusing the 'commercial' vs 'private tax' issue which is the subject of some Revenue official activity. Either way, it's not an insurance one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

This thread makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It was sarcasm

Ooops, sorry tossy, but with all the talk of diesel power here I wouldn't be surprised at people making the comparison!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I thought these days that a vehicle HAD TO BE a factory produced comercial to get lower VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Will all depend if the vehcile gets checked by an inspector...this is the very thing they are looking to clamp down on, was a loop they are closing fast...been done with Supra's and revenue have copped on thanks to posts like this...so keep the back seats & the wallet open just in case!

But if you do get it sorted...Happy motoring!!! :D

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Are you not potentially destroying the value of the car doing this?

Next person who buys it will be liable for the vrt should they wish to use it as a car. And in fairness the way things are going who is going to use and r32 as a commercial vehicle if they were looking. It would be nice but anybody would relise the running costs would be stupid compared to a tdi.

Finally, surely the point of having a car like that is that you can bring your mates in it?

racso1975 wrote: »
    Are you not potentially destroying the value of the car doing this?

Next person who buys it will be liable for the vrt should they wish to use it as a car. And in fairness the way things are going who is going to use and r32 as a commercial vehicle if they were looking. It would be nice but anybody would relise the running costs would be stupid compared to a tdi.

Finally, surely the point of having a car like that is that you can bring your mates in it?

I don't think im destroying the value of the car as I can put the seats back in. Yes i will have to pay the difference when I do that but for now I don't want to have to pay 5k VRT as I think the OMSP is wrong.

Also I can't seem to find a 03 R32 anywhere in Ireland on Irish plates anyone see any about for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

You could start a business as Irelands fastest courier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I don't think im destroying the value of the car as I can put the seats back in. Yes i will have to pay the difference when I do that but for now I don't want to have to pay 5k VRT as I think the OMSP is wrong.

Also I can't seem to find a 03 R32 anywhere in Ireland on Irish plates anyone see any about for sale?

You cant put the seats back in, to make it a commercial you have to weld up the seat belt points and make sure that the rear is permanently put out of use for passengers.

You need to do this for commercial tax anyway.

Why do people seem so against this?
    If he can do this and get away with it then goodluck to him.
    I never use the back seat in my car and I'd probably convert it to a van if I was sure it was 100% legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

No inspector in the VRO (I think they still do commercials) is going to pass a Golf R32 as a commercial vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Why do people seem so against this?
    If he can do this and get away with it then goodluck to him.
    I never use the back seat in my car and I'd probably convert it to a van if I was sure it was 100% legal.

Not against it in the least and if it works out for him happy days. But he did ask for opinions and i'm only trying to show him some downsides so he can make a fully informed decision..........going forward :D

R.O.R wrote: »
    No inspector in the VRO (I think they still do commercials) is going to pass a Golf R32 as a commercial vehicle.

I know that people have successfully had Supras passed as commercial vehicles.
    Looks like they might be starting to clamp down on this sort of stuff now though.
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Put a bed and a sink and convert it to a camper just like Top Gear fellows did:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Please don't spout inaccurate rubbish as fact on the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Looks like from Jan 1st that will no longer be an option so you only have till then to have it all sorted if it's possible.

Good luck if you do :D

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Looks like from Jan 1st that will no longer be an option so you only have till then to have it all sorted if it's possible.

Good luck if you do :D

If you mean the changes to VRT on commercials, that only applies to converted vehicles and Crew Cabs that are currently at €50 VRT and will now go to 13.3% VRT.

Hatchback based commercials didn't meet the load length or weight criteria for the €50 so were always 13.3%.

Onkle wrote: »
    Please don't spout inaccurate rubbish as fact on the forum please.

Do you have trouble understanding what the words "I think" mean :confused:
    I never stated anything as fact, hence the reason for linking to the other thread so the OP could read up more about this.

Using a commercial vehicle for private use is currently being clamped down on by Gardaí/Customs.
    If it's insured commercially then the policy would probably include cover for Social, Domestic and Pleasure usage but obviously if it didn't you'd be in trouble.

It'd be great if you could 100% legally tax/insure your car in this way
    but TBH it sounds iffy and you'd be leaving yourself open to hassle.
    Sounds like the days of getting away with this kind of thing are coming to an end.

draffodx wrote: »
    You cant put the seats back in, to make it a commercial you have to weld up the seat belt points and make sure that the rear is permanently put out of use for passengers.

You need to do this for commercial tax anyway.

I see on some other posts using solder on the seat belt points looks like weld and of course you can just reheat the solder and remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I see on some other posts using solder on the seat belt points looks like weld and of course you can just reheat the solder and remove it.

That was before the NCT crowd took over doing the VRT checks though, I'd assume that they'd be looking out for that kind of thing now.

Advertisement