Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

weekly rate for JSA

• 24-11-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

I became unemployed in November 2009, and was getting JSB up until end of June this year, and applied for JSA back then. Before I became unemployed I was working for nearly 5 years straight, and never applied for SW support.

Now, a mere 5 months after I applied for JSA, I received the calculations from the local SW office. Here's the situation:
    - my partner is receiving Illness Benefit since July
    - we have 1 baby

From the end of June up until now we were receiving e354, which included Illness Benefit for my partner, e130 for me as an adult dependent and e30 for the baby.

According to the calculations I received today, I am only entitled to e54/week which will bring a total income down to e264/week. Is this for real? Are they expecting a family of three to live on e264 weekly? This will not cover all the bills not to mention food or any other 'extras'.

Or is there a flaw in these calculations? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

What are they calculating the means from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

good point, didn't think about checking that

it seems that they took my partner's income before she went into Illness Benefit

the net income they took was e362.98, disregard e60 gives e302.98
    now 60% of that gives e181.79

how would this work for Illness benefit, I mean e196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Some people get paid while on Illness Benefit. If your partner isn't getting paid while out sick, get a letter from the employer stating this. Send this into your office, with a letter from you asking to recalculate/review your means as your partner is not receiving this money from employment anymore. If they do not review your means you want to appeal the decision. You might actually be better off calling into the office to discuss with them - just have your documentation ready.
    Bare in mind though, those means will count from June - July. They need to review your means from the date your partner went on Illness Benefit.
    With one person on Illness, and the other on Jobseeker's Allowance, you receive the family rate you were receiving. 196 from Illness would not be classed as means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Bare in mind though, those means will count from June - July. They need to review your means from the date your partner went on Illness Benefit.
    this is when my partner went for IB and I applied for SWA. nothing changed since then. she is receiving the money from SW, her employer doesn't pay her. of course we were at the SW office countless times bringing all the documentation, it seems it was pointles, as they just ignored it
    With one person on Illness, and the other on Jobseeker's Allowance, you receive the family rate you were receiving. 196 from Illness would not be classed as means.
    yes, I figured that too, however on the decision it's clearly stated:
    BECAUSE YOUR HUSBAND/WIFE/PARTNER IS RECEIVING A SOCIAL WELFARE PAYMENT, YOUR WEEKLY RATE IS LIMITED TO EUR 54.00
    - do you have any explanation for that?

I will be going there anyway, just wanted get some info before I talk to them, that's why I'm asking. I just couldn't understand how they can slash the minimum we were getting by another 40%.

Advertisement