Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite dish installation

• 24-11-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭

I've located the best position for my satellite dish. The best location is on the chimney!. I've been looking around at other dishes and some appear to be strapped on, and others are bolted to the chimney stack. What's the best way to install the dish? Bolt to or strap it to the chimney? Me dish is 90cm. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do not,under any circumstances, attach that dish to your chimney. The whole lot is likely to come crashing down on top of you in the first storm that comes along. What makes you so sure that the chimney is the most suitable location? If you have a reasonably unobstructed line of sight view to the south east( or whatever direction your favourite sat is located), then you can locate the dish as low as ground level. Height is not the defining standard for the dish location. Have a look around these forums, you are not the first to have this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

A 45cm zone 1 sky dish, yes, work away and put on chimney....A 90cm dish.....No way. Why oh why do people think satellite dishes need height to work correctly. I would be very surprised if a satellite dish would be lashed to a chimney either!

A 90cm dish would also need a decent heavy duty bracket with strong coach bolts holding it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda thought it was a bad idea to put the dish on the chimney. Youve just confirmed it for me. I currently have the dish about 6 feet off the ground on the side of the garage. Which makes for easier maintenance/alignment etc. The problem is, during the summer, i lost the signal due to leaves on tall trees which block the signal.

When I reconnected the dish last week, the signal was back ( as there are no leaves on the trees), But there now seems to be a problem with the underground cable leading from the garage to the house. ( when i connect the tv to the cable in the garage, it works, but when i connect the tv in the house, theres no signal).

This is why i was thinking of moving the dish as replacing the undergroud cable to the garage is not an option. Also, even if i did replace the cable, I'd still have the problem of the trees.

So the next option is to mount the dish on the house ( A bungalow). The best line of sight would mean mounting the dish on the front of the house or at the back using a T and K bracket and a long pole. I'm not keen on either of these options as it would not look great.

So the chimney was a long shot. Installing the dish on the chimney would be a pain, but it would be the least "ugly" option (if you know what i mean).

I suppose I'll have to go with a T and K bracket on the back of the house, but its a reluctant option for me.

Thanks again for the replies. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

I don't know Irish legislation but the largest dish permitted on a chimney in the UK is 60cm and the bracket must be lashed (not bolted) in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Op, could i suggest maybe getting an independent installer out to have a look and advise on your best options?
    There may be a simple solution that you haven't thought of :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement