Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London streets in flames again as 25,000 go on rampage in new student fees riot.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Tell them I was one of the biggest men on the internet - pouring scorn like it was going outta fashion? /sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amy21

Will these student marches get anywhere though, we had a big turnout for our own student march, im sure a large percentage of both marches were just seen as hug piss ups. I heard there were huge drink promotions in the uk to get students down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Protests?? On the street?? Sure is giving out on forums from the comfort of ones home or work not enough... :confused::confused: plus it's quite chilly outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's not a competition to see who can cause the most damage or violence. The whole idea of a peaceful protest is to protest peacefully, something a lot of people can't seem to grasp. Should we be proud of the fact that violence broke out at our own student protests. Certainly not, because it was caused by left wing groups who otherwise just wanted to cause a lot of trouble.

As for the protests in Britain. All I can say is, did they achieve anything from the violence that ensured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

jetsonx wrote: »
    Students in Britain have fees slapped on them. They create
    visible and loud protests on the streets. They let their annoyance and frustration be known.

Meanwhile, in Ireland we are now about to pay the extremely heavy price
    for the gambling a coterie of bankers. No street protests even
    worth talking about.

How do you feel about this? How will you look your children / grandchildren
    in the eye and tell them you sat back while we lost sovereignty. What will
    you tell them?
    I'll tell them that I used my democratic right to vote responsibly, and never ever voted for FF.

I'll also tell them that starting fires and flipping over police vans will not make the government give you any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's worrying that violence in protest seems to be so acceptable on here.

Why shouldn't students also be affected by the down turn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

A couple of hundred thousand people protested in Athens, a couple of people died in the melee. Where did that get them?

People here are very angry, and I don't need a big protest march down Kildare Street to tell me that. But its also the case that people don't live in cloud cuckoo land; that they do know an austerity plan is absolutely needed, and the sooner the better, and that everyone will be affected by it. No amount of placards and banners are going to change that fact.

The only thing I can see worth protesting for is political reform, to get rid of the cronyism that pervades our government, and I don't see any of the current political powers delivering that without a serious push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

OP - what are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

visible and loud protests on the streets. They let their annoyance and frustration be known.

worth talking about.

you tell them?

The student protest in Dublin was bigger than the one in London yesterday. also there is a national protest on 27th November.

Do keep ut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Speak for yourself.

I'm like this in my rage: http://imgur.com/1dLLN.jpg

But instead of a mansion it's a cubicle. and instead of bullets it's a series of píssy posts on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Bricks for a euro on sat..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

They're telling everyone to dress warm on Saturday, so we can all hide under a big pile of coats on Stephen's Green until the IMF go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've got fire extinguishers for sale. They make an exquisite statement and no protestor should be seen without them this season. Ideal for putting out fires or lobbing off tall buildings into crowds.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

worth talking about.

you tell them?

I'll tell my kid that wafflers on the internet were the biggest cancer to peoples public protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

worth talking about.

you tell them?

If any of my kids were out burning down bus stops and breaking into police vans they'd get a clip round the ear and off to bed with no pudding for them.

Protesting should be encouraged but If people start burning stuff down do you think that will help the economy somehow?

Do you have to have adegree in pyro-economics to understand this complex relationship between combustion and market prices?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

we spent so many years trying to get rid of our "drunken irish" tag, and the dance at the crossroads and paddywhackery - and we pretended we were the newest most sophisticated nation of wine connauseurs etc, only for Fainna fail t ensure that we are the most laughed at nation in the world not, without a principle or a back bone, with a photo of our dear leader plasted on every news station in the world ridiculed for his drunken behaviour on a radio show last month.

we've just set ourselves back a hundred years and instead of the english invading us now we have the germans and we are welcoming them with open arms - we deserve everything thrown at us. and believe me the rest of the world is laughing and the gombeen people of ireland.

godscop wrote: »
    Bricks for a euro on sat..;)
    Fair play.
    Go and smash the place up. Sure you're only ensuring that the council workers are kept in employment. After all, they're the ones who will be cleaning up afterwards.
    You're also giving the Gardaí something to do, and some of them will get a few quid for over-time.

Then when you're caught, arrested and taken to court, you can tell the judge that you were just trying to keep people employed. Point to your solicitor, and explain how you are also paying him/her, thus keeping the economy going.

Then tell the judge that you'll pay for the damage out of your own pocket.

It's a win win situation.

I hate that stuff. The world is laughing at us and we are a laughing stock. It's such an exaggeration. I'd highly doubt anybody finds our economic crisis as an oppurtunity to laugh at us in fairness.

Roy Keane made a laughing stock of us in Saipan..pfffff

Terry wrote: »
    Fair play.
    Go and smash the place up. Sure you're only ensuring that the council workers are kept in employment. After all, they're the ones who will be cleaning up afterwards.
    You're also giving the Gardaí something to do, and some of them will get a few quid for over-time.

Then when you're caught, arrested and taken to court, you can tell the judge that you were just trying to keep people employed. Point to your solicitor, and explain how you are also paying him/her, thus keeping the economy going.

Then tell the judge that you'll pay for the damage out of your own pocket.

It's a win win situation.
    Im only selling bricks

Im only selling bricks
    The banks were only selling 100% mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

How do you feel about this? How will you look your children / grandchildren in the eye and tell them you sat back while we lost sovereignty. What will
    you tell them?

I'll tell them what sovereignty means and how often it was used incorrectly in the last weeks of 2010 in an attempt to scaremonger.

The banks were only selling 100% mortgages.

boohoo. They can't force you to take a 100% mortgage. Who in their right mind would take a 100% mortgage or would have even?

You'd have to know it's a gamble going into it.

prinz wrote: »
    I'll tell them what sovereignty means and how often it was used incorrectly in the last weeks of 2010 in an attempt to scaremonger.
    Indeed.
    The IMF were in Britain in the 70's. The vast majority of British people still speak English.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    boohoo. They can't force you to take a 100% mortgage. Who in their right mind would take a 100% mortgage or would have even?

You'd have to know it's a gamble going into it.
    I completely agree.
    The greed of the common people played a massive part in our downfall.

I think I'll head to that protest tomorrow and dress up as Captain Hindsight.

I completely agree.
    The greed of the common people played a massive part in our downfall.

I think I'll head to that protest tomorrow and dress up as Captain Hindsight.
    Go saturday instead Terry. You could be dissapointed friday.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

boo-f'uckin hoo. your daddy has to stump up another €500 a year to ensure you get go on the piss with your mates, learn responsibility and independence and maybe learn a little of the subject you're taking (if you're lucky). i'm not shedding tears over your need to cough up the princely sum of €9.60 a week extra to have the privilege of a 3rd level education.

Go saturday instead Terry. You could be dissapointed friday.:)
    Wait. Today's not Friday?

I need to be somewhere else.

I hate that stuff. The world is laughing at us and we are a laughing stock. It's such an exaggeration. I'd highly doubt anybody finds our economic crisis as an oppurtunity to laugh at us in fairness.

Roy Keane made a laughing stock of us in Saipan..pfffff[/QUOTE

I've spoken to a good few Europeans in recent weeks and none of them were laughing at us........most of them were quite sympathetic towards Ireland and quite worried that their country was next in line for Bond market blow ups....

Bill2673 wrote: »
    I've spoken to a good few Europeans in recent weeks and none of them were laughing at us........most of them were quite sympathetic towards Ireland and quite worried that their country was next in line for Bond market blow ups....

I was speaking to a German guy based in Zurich yesterday. He did laugh but he laughs at everything. Jolly German f*cker :P

I was speaking to a German guy based in Zurich yesterday. He did laugh but he laughs at everything. Jolly German f*cker :P

Who said they had no sense of humour!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Nothing says protest like violence, property damage and hospitialised people resulting in waste of money spent on cleaning up after them.

Talking about the crowd turn-out is great in England but where are the results of it? The media are having a field day at all the destruction they're causing........THAT'S overshadowing the message they're originally trying to convey.

Damn.

I wonder what the joke was

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK folks we've got some parallel discussion going on here so I'm going to merge these threads.
    A reminder once more. Absolute zero tolerance to anyone advocating violence of any form in the coming protests.
    Please report any posts which cross the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

+1. Many of them see us as having been 'bought' and almost forced into this predicament. Many also feel there is a huge swindle going on and we're (and a few other countries) are the mark... and others don't want to laugh because laughing is catchingas they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

The only thing I can see worth protesting for is political reform, to get rid of the cronyism that pervades our government, and I don't see any of the current political powers delivering that without a serious push.

This is why I'm protesting on saturday.

I know we need major austerity and Im willing to pay for that so the next generation doesn't. But when I read the reports on the 4 year plan I was appauled.

nothing to do with banking reform
    nothing to do with political reform

Just more and more ways to drag me back to the poverty line that I worked so hard to escape from.

We simply cannot afford the 20bn interest payments a year that is being talked about. Its simply not an option. I've always been very pro EU but the interest rates on this are nothing short of usury.

Its very important we say this now before a general election so the parties are in no doubt about what the people want. I want to be able to afford to live in a sovereign Ireland, a simple enough request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Seriously, the tube off peak service on Sunday is a tube every 3 mins, if people are waiting longer than 5 mins you see people muttering and :rolleyes:

Ahem if the line is not closed for upgrading

Present level of service is unacceptable, even if it is better than Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Have to say I am surprised at the lack of camel toe in this picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RoadKillTs wrote: »

She must be wearing the a pair of the latest "No-Toes" underneath....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i definitely would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Looks like Saturday night in Copper Face Jacks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Most of those in that link are knackers out looking for a wild time.

They want wild I'll give them my ex wife

*rimshot*

Advertisement