Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naps during the day.. 8 months old

• 24-11-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi again girls,

I have one question for all of you ..
    I am wondering how many naps during the day should 8 months old baba take.. our little man was great sleeper until he was about4 months old. He slept 6 and 4 hours during the night and took naps every 2 hours during the day..then the fun began.. He started waking up every 3,5 or max 4 hours during the night for feeds... I stop breastfeeding when he turned 7 months and he was on solids since 5,5 months old but only now he seams to be getting a bit better with his sleep.. He goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps until around 4am sometimes half 5 but he usually wakes up for a drink of water or looking for his dody in between :-) Now he takes two naps during the day. He wakes up around half 8 in the morning then wants to nap around 12 again.. for last week or so he naps for 1,5 or 2 hours.. he has his lunch around 2 but then he is looking for another nap around half 4 or 5pm. he would sleep for 1,5 hour again but I cant realy let him as there is no way he would go to bed at 8pm then..
    How many naps should 8 months old take??? My OH says he should not be napping twice a day at all but I think he is still small enough for two naps if not for more...
    Thanks a mill..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Elle my babies 8 months on the 5th of next month. Usually our day goes like this

7ish Bottle and back to sleep
    9 wake up
    10 breakfast
    12 nap till around half 1
    2 bottle
    3 lunch
    4/5 nap for 40 min or so not every day though
    5/6 dinner
    7 bath, bottle and bed by 8.

I know a lot of people prob wouldn't let her sleep in the morning but I work till 12 at night and as single parent I do be wrecked if i don't get those extra couple of hours and its not affecting her night time sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

Hi Elle.

I would definitely say 2 naps is average and needed at 8 months old. My little lad is 11 months, and has just now dropped his afternoon nap, and still sometimes has a little nap in the afternoon..
    At 8 months his routine was wake at 7 am.
    Nap at 10 am till 12
    Then another nap at 3 till 4 or 4.30 .(no later)

Then bedtime at 7.. Im lucky with LO as he generally sleeps 7 till 7 since he was very small ( 3 months), apart from when he is teething !!! :eek:
    They say the more sleep they get during the day the better they sleep at night! I dunno, seems to work for my LO.

Also he has a late dinner about 5.30and then a 9oz bottle before bed, so I think he does be stuffed, and contented for the night! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hi OP, while not a girl, i'm sure us dads can comment too ;)

If I recall back to when my 3 year old girl was around the 8 month mark, we started to faze out the later nap as we found it effected her going to bed at night. We slowly cut it back until it wasn't happening, but had to make sure to keep her occupied even moreso in the evening as once her mind was active she wasn't interested in sleeping. There were times when we would be out on a late afternoon and if we were traveling home then there was nothing we could do to prevent a car nap, even though this could mean she wouldn't go to sleep until 9 or after.

We were lucky in that my wife stayed at home so she generally wouldn't wake until 8 or 9, which also meant she wasn't as wrecked in the evening by having to get up early. I think if a child is up at the crack of dawn for crèche, then maybe it would be best to hold off dropping the second nap for a while or even lengthen the cutting down period for an easier break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Elle my babies 8 months on the 5th of next month. Usually our day goes like this

7ish Bottle and back to sleep
    9 wake up
    10 breakfast
    12 nap till around half 1
    2 bottle
    3 lunch
    4/5 nap for 40 min or so not every day though
    5/6 dinner
    7 bath, bottle and bed by 8.

I know a lot of people prob wouldn't let her sleep in the morning but I work till 12 at night and as single parent I do be wrecked if i don't get those extra couple of hours and its not affecting her night time sleep

Hi Bulmersgal,

fair play to you being back to work and all! Am still home with my little man..not that we would be so well off but I am exhausted as it is most of days never mind working!
    Your routine seams to be very similar to what we have going at the moment... only my little one wakes up diring the night for bottle.. I breastfed him until he was 7 months old so even though I know he is not hungry he is looking for the comfort of suck :D
    I do let him sleep in the morning as long as he wants as I need my sleep too.. he has been crawling since he was 5,5 months old and is standing up now trying his first steps around the furniture and so he is keeping me on my toes all day long!!!
    Glad the routine we have in place seams to be working for someone else too :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Elle13 wrote: »
    Hi again girls,
    I have an eight month old... Oh sorry - this thread is for girls! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dades you know full that if you have an issue with a post to report it.

Elle13 this forum is for everyone invovled with rearing/parenting children, Mam's, Dad's and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi Elle.
    My little one is almost the same age as yours, remember we were all counting down back in March!
    She normally has three naps during the day, however she was never a huge day sleeper and generally they only last a half hour each. Generally she sleeps at night from 8ish to 7ish.
    However I would say that I have enver inflicted a routine on her, she has set this herself, and I feel she will adjust this as time goes by to suit her own needs.
    Naturally I would love it if she took slightly longer naps as I get very little time for myself. Still tho I love her to bits!
    I am back to work next Wed 1 Dec, slightly nauseous at the thought, but still I guess I need to join the adult world again:(
    BTW am very impressed at how your babe is progressing, we're only considering crawling now, and we thought she was advanced!! Still all in their own good time eh??

Dades wrote: »
    I have an eight month old... Oh sorry - this thread is for girls! :pac:

I am sorry.. all dad's replies are of course more than welcome too! Apology!
    ;)

fi1979 wrote: »
    Hi Elle.
    My little one is almost the same age as yours, remember we were all counting down back in March!
    She normally has three naps during the day, however she was never a huge day sleeper and generally they only last a half hour each. Generally she sleeps at night from 8ish to 7ish.
    However I would say that I have enver inflicted a routine on her, she has set this herself, and I feel she will adjust this as time goes by to suit her own needs.
    Naturally I would love it if she took slightly longer naps as I get very little time for myself. Still tho I love her to bits!
    I am back to work next Wed 1 Dec, slightly nauseous at the thought, but still I guess I need to join the adult world again:(
    BTW am very impressed at how your babe is progressing, we're only considering crawling now, and we thought she was advanced!! Still all in their own good time eh??

Hi Fi,

thanks for your post.. remmember it well.. can hardly forget ha ha
    Yep he is a bit ahead of things but hope it will all slow down at some stage :rolleyes:
    I admire every one of you who is back to work but I guess it all as to do a lot with his sleeps..
    If he slept the night i would be probably considering going back to work too...
    ah well.. as you said .. they will do it all in their own time :-)
    How are you getting on with your litlle one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi Elle,
    As regards going back to work, it came down to money really. I would love to stay home but simply can't afford!
    Am loving it all the same, she is truly precious and I love being a Mum, which I had always been a bit unsure of before she came along.
    Great to hear you are doing so well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Hey!

Our little lady is on the following routine and is doing fine, in good form all the time, eating well and sleeping well at night. She is just over 8 months.

7.30am Wake up
    8am Breakfast & Bottle
    9 - 9.30am Morning nap (1-2 hours)
    11am Bottle
    11.30am Activity time
    1pm Lunch
    2 - 2.30pm Afternoon nap (usually 1 hour but sometimes longer)
    4pm Bottle
    4,30pm Activity
    6pm Dinner
    7pm Bath / Bottle & in bed asleep by 8pm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Our fella's naps are a bit unpredictable - except for the compulsory one around noon which he has to take (usually up about 7:30ish).

After that some days he'll pass out for a bit in the afternoon, or else just cat nap in the car going to or from places.

Have always been aware to try avoid big kips in the afternoon so he's not going to resist his cot, but tbh we've always been a fan of just letting our pair do their thing. :)

Advertisement