Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings Bonds & Certificates

Options
  • 24-11-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

In the currect economic climate, could someone tell me if savings bonds/Certificates are safe?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkjhngk

bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

jkjhngk wrote: »
    In the currect economic climate, could someone tell me if savings bonds/Certificates are safe?

Thanks

Is it saving bonds or certs issued by An Post you are referring to?

If so, they are state guaranteed, for what that's worth these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

There is a very detailed discussion on this topic here:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=147319

Basically, An Post deposits are used to fund the national debt. With a high risk of default in the medium term, I would not hold deposits with An Post/NTMA.

Fungus wrote: »
    There is a very detailed discussion on this topic here:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=147319

Basically, An Post deposits are used to fund the national debt. With a high risk of default in the medium term, I would not hold deposits with An Post/NTMA.

Medium term being 3-5 years?

I would think a default is most likely several years away. Whether than is 2 years or 4 year away, I don't think it is worth holding state deposits.

• Advertisement

Fungus wrote: »
    I would think a default is most likely several years away. Whether than is 2 years or 4 year away, I don't think it is worth holding state deposits.

so are you saying the money would be safer is a bank a/c like boi/ub/aib or where?

Nationwide UK @ 3% is safer option.

Advertisement