Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv points

Options
  • 24-11-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

hi guys been asked to install 2 extra tv points in mates apartment,dont usually do this kind of work so just wanna double check,is it just a case of looping off main ntl connection to 1st new point and then looping from that to 2nd new point,cheers guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

hi guys been asked to install 2 extra tv points in mates apartment,dont usually do this kind of work so just wanna double check,is it just a case of looping off main ntl connection to 1st new point and then looping from that to 2nd new point,cheers guys

Looping is not recommended. you will have a loss in signal (dB).

Ideally find main connection and fit spliter and take separate feeds to the TV points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

thanks for reply mate,i can get to main ntl connection easily,do you mean take it off and fit splitter to the main co ax is it?

thanks for reply mate,i can get to main ntl connection easily,do you mean take it off and fit splitter to the main co ax is it?

I tend to use an F Type spliter.
    They usually have a range 5-900MHz or 1GHz.
    get a decent quality spliter. They have low insertion loss (quality).

abccables-store_2128_56252863

Also use satelite quality double insulated cable not standard coax.

have rg6 is that ok usually?

Yes. 75ohm RG6 UHF cable is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Use the f type connectors all the way. You might well get away with just using f type spliters and no booster, depending how strong the in coming signal is.

Either way i would wire all the points back to the master socket, so a booster can be added if required.

ye plan is to split the cable at master socket using f type splitter and then run the other 2 to the bedrooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

ntpm wrote: »
    Yes. 75ohm RG6 UHF cable is perfect.
    I wouldn't say perfect. SAT100, CT100 would be better.
    RG6 is okay for a good signal NTL point, but "Sky in you apartment" may arrive at some stage down the line, and the higher quality cable is always preferred. It's about twice the price though:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

cast_iron wrote: »
    I wouldn't say perfect. SAT100, CT100 would be better.
    RG6 is okay for a good signal NTL point, but "Sky in you apartment" may arrive at some stage down the line, and the higher quality cable is always preferred. It's about twice the price though:(

But would CT100 not be a 50 ohm cable and therefore not great to be using in a 75 ohm system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

But would CT100 not be a 50 ohm cable and therefore not great to be using in a 75 ohm system?
    CT100 is and old name really. More likely to be called SAT100 or RF100 or TX100 or WF100 these days. There's alot of different names the various manufacturers use. All 75 ohm cables in any case.
    50ohm is more for radio systems and yes, it would not suit a 75ohm setup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement