Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture in a rented property

Options
  • 24-11-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Didnt want to start a new thread and this one is closest to my question.

I moved into an apartment, lease is signed, and now I discover one issue after the other with the furniture.

3 out of 4 dining table chairs were broken. Landlord replaced 3 with old but good chairs. Now I have 3 + 1 not matching chairs. Landlord reply is that 3 chairs are sufficient for the house. Is that acceptable?

Also, I reported straght away that the couch has a tear in one of the seats, and now after 2 weeks of living here, I found that the 3 seater couch is actually really bad. The middle seat is gone or worn so bad that you cant really sit in it, also you feel the wooden studs. So 2 out of 3 seats are worn out or 'broken'. Should the landlord replace this couch?

The agent already told me that I should've checked everything before signing the lease, but its hard to check a full apartment in the 10 minutes they give you.

Also, in my opinion, you always discover stuff once you live in the apartment. Shouldnt that be taken care of when reported?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Poncke wrote: »
    Hi,

Didnt want to start a new thread and this one is closest to my question.

I moved into an apartment, lease is signed, and now I discover one issue after the other with the furniture.

3 out of 4 dining table chairs were broken. Landlord replaced 3 with old but good chairs. Now I have 3 + 1 not matching chairs. Landlord reply is that 3 chairs are sufficient for the house. Is that acceptable?

Also, I reported straght away that the couch has a tear in one of the seats, and now after 2 weeks of living here, I found that the 3 seater couch is actually really bad. The middle seat is gone or worn so bad that you cant really sit in it, also you feel the wooden studs. So 2 out of 3 seats are worn out or 'broken'. Should the landlord replace this couch?

The agent already told me that I should've checked everything before signing the lease, but its hard to check a full apartment in the 10 minutes they give you.

Also, in my opinion, you always discover stuff once you live in the apartment. Shouldnt that be taken care of when reported?

Thanks

In short, regarding the kitchen chairs yes, i'd say very acceptable, unless you are paying big money for something that is sold on the basis of the bespoke or modern element of the apartment?? therefore just chucking in a few auld chairs wouldnt be suitable, in your case Id say it is tho.
    as for the 3 seater living room couch, for your own benefit, I have to agree you should have checked it, depending on how bad it is though, if it is only moderately worn, then it might be a matter of opinion, if it has collapsed completely then for one it is good top report it and may require to be replaced, probably only if you dont have an alternative to use though? do u have an alternative couch to use?
    Usually best to check these things in the beginning tho, it doesnt sound like u are going to get very far with them unless u put your foot down, ie if the couch really is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Merch wrote: »
    In short, regarding the kitchen chairs yes, i'd say very acceptable, unless you are paying big money for something that is sold on the basis of the bespoke or modern element of the apartment?? therefore just chucking in a few auld chairs wouldnt be suitable, in your case Id say it is tho.
    as for the 3 seater living room couch, for your own benefit, I have to agree you should have checked it, depending on how bad it is though, if it is only moderately worn, then it might be a matter of opinion, if it has collapsed completely then for one it is good top report it and may require to be replaced, probably only if you dont have an alternative to use though? do u have an alternative couch to use?
    Usually best to check these things in the beginning tho, it doesnt sound like u are going to get very far with them unless u put your foot down, ie if the couch really is terrible

I told them already I would drop the chairs issue. I just wonder if any landlord would accept the standard they make tenants put up with. I mean 3+1 chair is ridiculous imo.

As for the couch. you can hardly sit in the middle seat, its just gone. As for the tear, it keeps getting bigger so at some point its going to be realy bad. He has to replace it at some point.

I have two other 1 seat sofa's but only 1 couch. I rented it with a couch, so imo the couch should be whole.

I will talk to treshold. I seem to have a direct line with them these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads split.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Victor wrote: »
    Threads split.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Poncke wrote: »
    I told them already I would drop the chairs issue. I just wonder if any landlord would accept the standard they make tenants put up with. I mean 3+1 chair is ridiculous imo.

I'm not getting what the issue is with the chairs....you have four chairs, just one that doesn't match. If it were my own house that I owed I might want matching chairs but for a rented place what difference does it make as long as they function as chairs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement