Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Mobile Internet Bill

Options
  • 25-11-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hey. For about a year I've been on the bill pay lite €10 per month plan. I go over by about tenner every month and never used the mobile internet. Decided to get new phone and bigger package.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S and switched to a smart plan that's €35 PM with 1 GB of mobile internet included. I got the phone/ plan contract on 26th Oct.

Got a bill on 12th Nov that was for €222! It was billed under Bill Pay Lite €10 plan for Oct 10 - Nov 09. My new plan should have started when I got the new phone no? Anyways because I downloaded apps for the new Galaxy, the cost was over €2,500! The were charging me €20 per MB and about 60 - 80 quid per app! They capped me at €150 ex VAT and suggested I text to sign up for unlimited internet - which I have. I only downloaded about 60 - 70 MB of apps. I'm halfway into my second month now and freaking out that'll I'll get another massive bill on 12th Dec....

I am confused now as to whether or not these app downloads are included in my 1 GB monthly internet?? I don't use the mobile internet much at all - just for the odd FB check or for bus timetable search....

I also am not sure if you get charged everytime you use an app? Does it connect to internet to be used?

Are they right to charge me so much or should it be covered by my plan? Should my new plan have started as soon as I got the new phone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Something sounds wrong there, download the App '3G Watchdog', that'll give you a pretty accurate idea on data usage.

I'm on the same plan as you, Smart 35, and my monthly period ends tomorrow (not that type of period ;) ) and my data usage for the month is 146.14MB

How come they didn't put you on the smart plan straight away? I'd be questioning this first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

they can only change your tarriff the day you sign the new contract, so if you only changed your plan it wouldnt change till after your billing cycle (ie the next bill) but that still seems questionable for the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

scudzilla wrote: »
    Something sounds wrong there, download the App '3G Watchdog', that'll give you a pretty accurate idea on data usage.

I'm on the same plan as you, Smart 35, and my monthly period ends tomorrow (not that type of period ;) ) and my data usage for the month is 146.14MB

How come they didn't put you on the smart plan straight away? I'd be questioning this first

Maybe because my old plan was due to run out on the 9th Nov and I got the new phone 2 weeks before. Have a leg to stand on at all if I go in to talk to someone? I can't afford that watchdog app - hahah! Fecking €80 for a little 3 MB app though - madness!!

I tried to see my usage on the mymeteor website but couldn't find it.

Is the €150 cap them being lenient? I just saw the bill today. I downloaded some more apps last night :(. Will they cap me again next bill or make me fullcost??
    caspa307 wrote: »
    they can only change your tarriff the day you sign the new contract, so if you only changed your plan it wouldnt change till after your billing cycle (ie the next bill) but that still seems questionable for the amount

Never told me that in the shop - I was yammering away thinking I had 200 minutes. Never warned me not to download apps yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

Read quite a few case of Meteor doing this on boards here (do a search), I could be wrong but there's some EU law that they can only charge you €50 max for your data usage.

Maybe because my old plan was due to run out on the 9th Nov and I got the new phone 2 weeks before. Have a leg to stand on at all if I go in to talk to someone? Fecking €80 for a little 3 MB app though - madness!!

I tried to see my usage on the mymeteor website but couldn't find it.

Is the €150 cap them being lenient? I just saw the bill today. I downloaded some more apps last night :(. Will they cap me again next bill or make me fullcost??

No, the 150 cap isn't them being lenient, it's them following the new Euro Law, i think they can only charge 70 per bill for data usage, sure someone else has the full details on that one.

I'm on wireless at home and work, so don't use the data much.

It should be on mymeteor, i can see my last 3/4 months usage on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was under the impression that the cap only applied when roaming. Could be wrong.

tbh, i'd go back and make a counter offer saying eveything wasn't explained to you and you had no idea you'd get these kind of charges and you'd ideally not pay anything only your call charges and maybe 4.99 for the little bit of internet.

Just checked the website. I'm STILL down on the Bill Pay Lite €10 plan! Says next monthly bill due 9th Dec and that I have 32/50 min left, 29/50 texts and 0/0kb for data.

I literally just texted for the 10 GB add- on and it says I only have 5.55 GB left. Have they already taken back internet off me? There is no way that I have used 4.5 GB of mobile internet snce 10th November. I'd have to have downloaded thousands of apps.

What the heck is going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You upgraded at the right time, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074321 , call them to sort it out tomorrow or send them back the phone and leave.
    The balls in your court, get it sorted straight away. You don't have much time left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

[/QUOTE]Never told me that in the shop - I was yammering away thinking I had 200 minutes. Never warned me not to download apps yet either.[/QUOTE]

should have been made clear to you id go back into the shop or ring meteor first thing cos theres definetly something not right

Just checked the website. I'm STILL down on the Bill Pay Lite €10 plan! Says next monthly bill due 9th Dec and that I have 32/50 min left, 29/50 texts and 0/0kb for data.

I literally just texted for the 10 GB add- on and it says I only have 5.55 GB left. Have they already taken back internet off me? There is no way that I have used 4.5 GB of mobile internet snce 10th November. I'd have to have downloaded thousands of apps.

I fell for that one, don't worry, it's a pro-rata thing.

between now and your next bill date is what, 15/16 days? That's around half of your 10gb allowance. Don't worry, you've used nowhere near 4.5gb

Here's the thread i started when i had the same problem

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851007

As for still being on the other plan, call them and kick off, tell them you wouldn't be so stupid to have an Android phone and no data plan and that you called to move tariffs to the smart and that it's obvious this is meteor's error.

IMO the 10gb is a waste of time, i had it for 4 months before i realised that, do you have wireless at home? My phone auto connects to wireless at home so that saves a fortune

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I fell for that one, don't worry, it's a pro-rata thing.

between now and your next bill date is what, 15/16 days? That's around half of your 10gb allowance. Don't worry, you've used nowhere near 4.5gb

Here's the thread i started when i had the same problem

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851007

As for still being on the other plan, call them and kick off, tell them you wouldn't be so stupid to have an Android phone and no data plan and that you called to move tariffs to the smart and that it's obvious this is meteor's error.

IMO the 10gb is a waste of time, i had it for 4 months before i realised that, do you have wireless at home? My phone auto connects to wireless at home so that saves a fortune

I'm gonna go into a meteor store today with the OH as back up.

No wireless, and can't get UPC in my area. I'm paying €14 for 5gb of mobile broadband on my netbook but the service is USELESS and cap's too small. I keep going over because I can't check to see how much I have left as the connection fails when I text for balance! I'm just gonna give it up and have mobile on my phone. I need to stop spending so much time browsing anyways because I have so much college work due.

I can't believe they've now reduced the MB price by 1000. My bill is only equivalent of €2.56 of internet come 29th Nov.

Thanks lads. Any other advice welcome!

All sorted out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Comhrá

All sorted out

So what was the outcome?
    How was it resolved?

John.

I just went in and said the gist of what i posted here. Wiped my bill for me. Cancelled my direct debit to make sure money isn't taken before it goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Fair play to you!

Looks like new mobile contracts combined with the ease of downloading with the new smartphones can be a potential minefield.

BTW, I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S and I'm with Meteor on the same tarriff as yourself, hence my interest in your thread.

Cheers,

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Op keep an eye on your bank account as many people have been promised their tarriff has been changed add-ons cancelled etc only to see the same issues when the next direct debit hits their bank, customer care staff do not always update customer accounts as promised.

Turns out now that they have decided it's not wiped and I still owe €228. Was getting texts and all saying I was overdue and I'd be cut off.

Stupid ****ing *****.

Rang customer service and she didn't have a clue.

Gonna go back into the dude in the shop. How can he tell me after being on the phone to a senior that it's wiped and ignore it and cancel my direct debit and the girl on the phone say basically "no you were on an old tarriff you still owe us"

Advertisement