Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Question (arrested)

Options
  • 25-11-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have been looking through the topics, but can't find anything (if it has been mentioned before could someone direct me to the topic ? :D)

Full time undergrad.

was arrested before after a fight outside a nightclub ....
    was re-arrested 2 or 3 times after that for questioning on more serious charges (assault initially, then affray) for which I was charged on (the affray)...

in court though my case was struck out, so I haven't any convictions...

it was the first and only time I've ever been in trouble with the law...

but how does this affect my chances of going to America ?

my solicitor said it should be no problem, but the ESTA form asks about arrests .....

also I'm pretty sure they ask you at the J1 consult meeting....

anyone been in trouble and declared it and still got in ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Were you charged with anything regarding drunkeness or drug use or domestic violence? If not, you should be fine, as the charges do not relate to "moral turpitude" and you have no convictions. You will need to declare it, but should be approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hellothar

the original arrest outside the nightclub was to do with drunk and disorderly & abusive behaviour (Public order act) ....

I was freed after a few hours in the station but not charged .... I was however summonsed to court over it, which I happened to be in court at the time when the other charge was brought against me ....

not too sure if being summonsed would count as being charged, as I never got a charge sheet for it, just court summons

Advertisement