Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Diploma in Education...

Options
  • 25-11-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

hoping someone out there can help me. i havnt been able to find any information on what classification (1.1, 2.1, 2.2) you need to be eligible in get into the PGDE in UCD. anyone out there have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You'll most likely need a high 2.1. I just got in with a GPA of 3.5. Check out the Teaching and Lecturing forum for more info. I am doing the course now. What are your subjects? Don't expect a job for about 5 years if you aren't teaching maths or irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

wow really? thats crazy high. like i guessed there would be loads of people applying given current climate and stuff, but scraping in on a 3.5 GPA? never thought id see the day.

im not really hopeful of getting it anyways. im barely rocking a 3.0 GPA and im only planning on doing music. my other subject was information studies which is a crock of shit. just trying to stay in the educational system i guess. kinda clutching at very short straws though :(

You cant do music in UCD as a teaching subject. Trinity do it through their PGDE and Mater Dei as an undergrad degree.

but it was in List A on the PAC website...man this is all so confusing :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Im thinking of doing a postgrad in education next year. My Degree relates to Business and my course is recognised by the Teachers Council of Ireland to teach business. Im aware of the quota required regarding business degrees from IT's so I know the chances and opportunities are limited at the moment. However Ive got it into my head that this is the direction I want to take so Im still interested in pursuing my application.
    Ive been working for an insurance company for the past 4 years since Ive graduated and Im wondering if this would stand to me? Can anyone tell me if theres anything else I could do to increase my chances of being accepted into a course? Is it based soley on points or does the interview process come into play aswell? Or does anyone know who I can talk to to give me a better idea?
    Im very interested in pursuing this but at the same time I dont want to put all my thoughts and energy into something that I havent got a hope of getting and end up dissapointed so Im just trying to get my head around things..

Im thinking of doing a postgrad in education next year. My Degree relates to Business and my course is recognised by the Teachers Council of Ireland to teach business. Im aware of the quota required regarding business degrees from IT's so I know the chances and opportunities are limited at the moment. However Ive got it into my head that this is the direction I want to take so Im still interested in pursuing my application.
    Ive been working for an insurance company for the past 4 years since Ive graduated and Im wondering if this would stand to me? Can anyone tell me if theres anything else I could do to increase my chances of being accepted into a course? Is it based soley on points or does the interview process come into play aswell? Or does anyone know who I can talk to to give me a better idea?
    Im very interested in pursuing this but at the same time I dont want to put all my thoughts and energy into something that I havent got a hope of getting and end up dissapointed so Im just trying to get my head around things..

Are you qualified to teach anything else? With just one subject your odds are severely limited. The NUIs don't do an interview but award points for relevant experience, check the pac site. Trinity do an interview. Don't worry about getting on the course, your worry will be getting work. You really need a 2nd subject to have a chance of work.

Are you qualified to teach anything else? With just one subject your odds are severely limited. The NUIs don't do an interview but award points for relevant experience, check the pac site. Trinity do an interview. Don't worry about getting on the course, your worry will be getting work. You really need a 2nd subject to have a chance of work.

Thank you
    My degree is recognised to teach business only.. I hadnt really thought about that I was just thinking of getting on the course and getting through it and then size up my options after as theres no point worrying about a job when you havent even got the qualification.. I see now that needs to be considered too though. I would like to teach CSPE as a filler subject... But I'm not sure If you need a relevant qualification in that or is this after you are assigned to a school you have the option of taking that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Thank you
    My degree is recognised to teach business only.. I hadnt really thought about that I was just thinking of getting on the course and getting through it and then size up my options after as theres no point worrying about a job when you havent even got the qualification.. I see now that needs to be considered too though. I would like to teach CSPE as a filler subject... But I'm not sure If you need a relevant qualification in that or is this after you are assigned to a school you have the option of taking that up?

You can take CSPE as part of the PGDE course as far as I remember, or candidates with a degree in politics/sociology are officially recognised to teach CSPE by the TC. However, it seems that most schools allocate CSPE to teachers as a 'filler' subject to bring their hours up - so its usually those not on full time hours that get CSPE. Did you take any maths modules in your business degree? If so, you could fill in the gaps with maths modules from the Open University and gain recognition to teach maths? Quite costly though.

Thank you

€6500 is quite a costly fall back. To be qualified to teach CSPE you need a degree with sociology or politics comprising 30% + of the entire degree. In PGDE UCD you do courses on your subject called "Methodologies". You have to do 2 because you have to teach 2 subjects while doing the course. You may have to pick CSPE as you would be more likely to get hours in this. Have you got a school yet?

• Advertisement

€6500 is quite a costly fall back. To be qualified to teach CSPE you need a degree with sociology or politics comprising 30% + of the entire degree. In PGDE UCD you do courses on your subject called "Methodologies". You have to do 2 because you have to teach 2 subjects while doing the course. You may have to pick CSPE as you would be more likely to get hours in this. Have you got a school yet?

Cheers for your help. Ive done more research recently. I can only teach business and can choose CSPE as a second methodology alright, its just that my degree isnt recognised by the TC to teach it.
    Do you think it is a crazy idea in the current environment to enrol for a course which will only allow me to teach business and therefore havent got a hope of getting a job out of it? Like you say for the price you are paying its a fairly expensive to treat it as a 'fallback'.

Advertisement