Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gots a bike, now me needz gear.

• 25-11-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Suggestions? Function over fashion, winter is comin' in.

I have a High Vis vest & bike lights sorted.

I was thinking - Padded shorts - 2 pairs.

Waterproofs - 2 pairs.

Waterproof jacket - 1.

I'll be needin' a helmet. Suggestions? I'm close to Halfords and Eurocyles. :)

Gloves & socks?

Are cycling shoes really a must?

Anythin' else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi Moz
    What kind of bike did you get?
    What kind of cycling are you doing (communting or spins)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Are you cycling for sport or commuting.?
    Mozoltov! wrote: »
    Waterproofs - 2 pairs.
    Waterproof trousers? 2 pairs? one at most. I'd leave them out altogether unless you plan to commute to work in your clothes. Good thermal tights would be a better idea IMO. Your legs will stay warm through a rain shower if your upper body is warm.
    Waterproof jacket - 1.
    Cheap/Waterproof/Breathable
    You can only pick 2 of those options when it comes to rain jackets.
    Gloves & socks?
    Socks - V important. At the moment I've been cycling in thin thermal socks, with thick hiking socks over them. With shoes over those and overshoes on top of that. Though in general I have awful cold feet.

Your feet don't move while your cycling and can get cold pretty quickly. If you plan to cycle in regular runners the cold air will blow right through them fairly quick and freeze your toes. You can get overshoes for regular shoes to keep the wind and rain(sort of) out.

As for gloves for keeping warm, I use whatever I have lying around.
    Are cycling shoes really a must?
    To cycle as a sport, yes. For commuting, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

As long as you don't pick cheap and breathable as your two choices.

Base layers to keep warm. Nice winter base layer. Was out around Blessington this morning and had that top plus a summer layer and a long sleeve jersey on and I was just right temp wise. Had these socks on the feet with overshoes and these on top to keep the feet toasty.

Full length tights would be a better option than shorts(+leg warmers) this time of year. Can't fault dhb Pace Roubaix tights from Wiggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Hi Moz
    What kind of bike did you get?
    What kind of cycling are you doing (communting or spins)?
    A virtuoso. Only starting out so it'll do. :)
    Are you cycling for sport or commuting.?
    Recreationally at 1st then I'll attempt work when I'm fit enough.
    Waterproof trousers? 2 pairs? one at most. I'd leave them out altogether unless you plan to commute to work in your clothes. Good thermal tights would be a better idea IMO. Your legs will stay warm through a rain shower if your upper body is warm.
    No I change for work in work but I'd want to keep my clothes dry for when I'm going home.
    I noticed this in reviews.
    Socks - V important. At the moment I've been cycling in thin thermal socks, with thick hiking socks over them. With shoes over those and overshoes on top of that. Though in general I have awful cold feet.

Your feet don't move while your cycling and can get cold pretty quickly. If you plan to cycle in regular runners the cold air will blow right through them fairly quick and freeze your toes. You can get overshoes for regular shoes to keep the wind and rain(sort of) out.
    So I can wear my normal runners with some thermal socks underneath, some thick socks and then oversocks on my normal runners?
    Base layers to keep warm. Nice winter base layer. Was out around Blessington this morning and had that top plus a summer layer and a long sleeve jersey on and I was just right temp wise. Had these socks on the feet with overshoes and these on top to keep the feet toasty.

Full length tights would be a better option than shorts(+leg warmers) this time of year. Can't fault dhb Pace Roubaix tights from Wiggle.

Do most on here buy their gear online?

• Advertisement

Do most on here buy their gear online?

I'd buy most of my clothes online. I find a better selection online and better prices. When it comes to parts some shops here are matching online prices now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's some good sites for buying online, I think the Skil Shimano team site has the best deal at the moment, although it probably won't be much use for the winter unless you got leggings also. The sites I use are cyclesuperstore.ie and chainreactioncycles.com but don't forget your local bike shop can be cheaper than online. There are plenty of sites though such as wiggle, trikotexpress, pro bike kit, evans cycles, wheelworx, slane and prendas. As with anything you're buying you need to eliminate the was price, RRP, after promotion price and discount % and compare like for like (including delivery).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The length of your commute is an important consideration. No need for padded shorts or overshoes (IMO) on a short commute. A waterproof bag and a spare pair of socks is more important. A nice warm hat does wonders too. I go bare-legged on my short trip to work all winter but I am all about the fleecy tights, overshoes, thermal gloves, base layers etc when out on my weekend spins.

The length of your commute is an important consideration. No need for padded shorts or overshoes (IMO) on a short commute. A waterproof bag and a spare pair of socks is more important. A nice warm hat does wonders too. I go bare-legged on my short trip to work all winter but I am all about the fleecy tights, overshoes, thermal gloves, base layers etc when out on my weekend spins.
    Commute will be about 38km there and back. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

You need the works so. A couple of recommendations - I cannot access the relevant sites from my current location so apologies for the lack of links.

I second the Tax Man's call on dhb pace roubaix bib tights - nice and warm and not too expensive. You can buy a pair without a pad for about £40 stg - obviously you need to wear padded shorts under them in that case.

cdaly here put me on to Endura BaaBaa merino wool base layers. Lovely and warm, wick sweat really well and they don't stink like synthetic ones. The endura BaaBaa socks are pretty good too.

• Advertisement

And buy a track pump.

And buy a track pump.
    I got a track pump. :) You'll have to forgive me here 'cause this is my 1st road bike. How the fup do you change up and down the gears?

There's only 1 shifter on each side and it only clicks down, doesn't pull back up.

For Shimano Gears, push the whole brake lever to go to a bigger cog, on the front or back. There should be a smaller black paddle which is right next to the brake lever (blends into it) to go down the cogs. Or a small little lever/button near where the gear cables come out.

For Shimano Gears, push the whole break lever to go to a bigger cog, on the front or back. There should be a smaller black paddle which is right next to the brake lever (blends into it) to go down the cogs. Or a small little lever/button near where the gear cables come out.
    Ahhhh I see! That's pretty neat! I'll throw a picture up in a bit. New tyres me thinks. The ones that came with it seem a bit, plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Ha Moz, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Got a bike last week and now need all the other stuff.

BTW I'm hoping to take part in some organized rides in the summer, any good recommendations for suitable ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Ahhhh I see! That's pretty neat! I'll throw a picture up in a bit. New tyres me thinks. The ones that came with it seem a bit, plastic.

Not to be rude in any way, but what bike shop let you out the door without pointing this out?:eek:

spyderski wrote: »
    Not to be rude in any way, but what bike shop let you out the door without pointing this out?:eek:
    Well I wanted to build it myself so I just picked up the box and left. :pac:

Advertisement